Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
Hey gnome, I bought The Cultist from DTRPG, but The True Friend wasn't included in the download despite being listed as a bonus in the description. I realize there's a link to it in this thread, but non-goons are a bit out of luck on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
I don't know how to Dungeon World, help?

I'm starting up my first Dungeon World campaign soon, and one of my players just messaged me with this:

quote:

So, been looking though the classes and I'm thinking of going for the fighter class. I was thinking of a hunter/gatherer which would seem more rangery, but I don't really see him as having an animal companion. Basically his thing is that he's the guy who goes out and hunts monsters so that people don't have to eat mushrooms all day. He not only relishes the hunt, but also preparing anything he catches into a hearty meal... anything.
Anyway, I have some flexibility in case someone else wants to be a fighter or some such.
The setting, by the way, is the Infinite Dungeon where the entire world is a dungeon that people try to carve civilization out of.

I'm not sure what to do for him. Any advice? Fighter doesn't seem like a good fit, but he specifically denied Ranger because of the Animal Companion. Is there a good way to remove/replace the animal companion from Ranger or to add hunting abilities to something else? Or an awesome third-party class I've missed? I'm not entirely confident in doing this myself.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
I need a good way to fill the "spell-sword" archetype, as in channeling magic through your weapon. I didn't see a playbook for it in the mega-post. Any thoughts?

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Your move makes it more likely that you survive if you commit seppuku. It just doesn't work.

"Oh crap I'm gonna die next time something hits me, better cut my guts out so I can keep living"

Why not make it a death move along the lines of

DEATH MOVE
When you end your own life in honorable seppuku, everyone who has a bond with you instantly goes up one level, inspired by your honor and sacrifice. Optional: everyone in your party who doesn't have you as a bond loses all XP they've accrued since their last level up, disturbed by your shocking display. They never truly understood you.

I think this death move doesn't solve the problem of encouraging you to kill yourself before you are killed in battle. The popular image of Samurai (that I have in my head) says that it is much more glorious and honorable to fall in battle than to take your own life. Seppuku is for when you have done something dishonorable and wish to spare yourself/your lord from having to live with the shame.
Plus, this death move isn't following the paradigm of having the passive when you die trigger. I also don't like the effect of making your bonded party members level up. It seems boring and mechanical. Death moves are some of the more flavorful things I've seen in DW playbooks and I'd hate for them to fall into the "+1 to a thing" trap.

I think a good death move is all about fulfilling your (dramatic) purpose. The existing death moves have a theme of unleashing something that was held back. With that in mind, what is the purpose of the Samurai? Why should I be a Samurai instead of another class like the Fighter? The things I see are that the Samurai has the 5 stances and that he has a very strong concept of honor. I do like the idea of the death move being something about inspiring your allies to greater heights. Actually, that could potentially be something you do with other moves in the class. I don't know if that fits your vision, though.
Anyway, those are my thoughts. I was trying to come up with a good alternative death move, but I'm having a hard time of it.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Huckabee Sting posted:

Here is the third attempt at my samurai. Third times the charm right? I allowed comments on the google doc if it's easier that way. If you feel that this is a lost cause just let me know and I'll stop posting about it. :)

I like this a lot better than before. No particular criticisms, I'll leave that to people smarter than I.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Handgun Phonics posted:

Are you ever going to update the content post on the first page with these?

Related question: Are you planning on putting all the Mages into a bundle?

Also, I noticed from the previews that the Winter and Masked mages both have an advanced move called "Conceal, Don't Feel". If this was intentional, I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Fenarisk posted:

Dungeon World Core Classes: Advanced Dungeon World 1.5

The Warrior (fighter): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SVHNFWG03Nnl6Mms/edit?usp=sharing

The Duelist background references something called "Wall of Steel" that isn't anywhere else on the sheet?