Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
The custom classes Arcane Duelist has magic techniques they apply to their melee.
The custom classes Marksmen has the move Trick shot which has many different effects.
I'm sure there are many compendium classes which do this as well. If not, write one.
A fighter who multi-classes into wizard can use a ritual to do anything he wants to his blade. (that's what I did)

Teonis fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Glazius posted:

In my head, the dividing line between Ritual and Cast a Spell is the difference between completely solving a problem and creating an advantage/disadvantage.

Also! Question came up on RPG.net but nobody really weighed in - how do you deal with the intersection of armor and spending hold on Defend to take half damage? I subtract armor from the damage and then cut what remains in half, but I'm not sure what the order of operations should be.

I do it the other way around, since defending is more than just your armor, you are actively trying to deflect that damage. I half the incoming damage first, then any damage that gets past your defense still has to strike your armor, so then I subtract armor last. logically why would you want your armor value divided in half just becasue you are defending. After all, someone in plate armor who defends is going to block more blows than someone in leather or without armor.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
You have to remember that the Artificer only spends charge when he uses a Gadget as a weapon or volley, or to get out of a tight spot. Get out of a tight spot is going to be your defense items if I am not mistaken, but when you are not in danger, any other device you have consumes no charge.

Honestly, I feel like charge needs to be treated like ammo, but that doesn't work when using it in melee. but you can still jury-rig a device and use it for that purpose.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Glazius posted:

Well, I'm just thinking there are characters who can potentially have 6 armor all the time (plate + shield + paladin/fighter advanced moves), and doing it half-before-armor makes them pretty much invincible.

Thats what makes Defend, and by extention, CON so great in Dungeon world. But keep in mind, while defending, that paladin/fighter can only deal damage equal to his level at the cost of 1 hold, on top of that, it will take 1 hold to redirect the attack to yourself, then a third hold to reduce the damage. That's all three hold for getting a 10+ in just a single attack, so you have to decide how to spend your resources.

Besides the fact that someone with 6 armor would be nigh invincible, (you'd need 'ignore armor' or some serious piercing and high damage to get through it in the first place) defending is what the paladin and fighter SHOULD be amazing at. So it makes sense that a super tank wouldn't take any damage for blocking a blow for someone else.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Huckabee Sting posted:

I have a druid question, too. Probably a silly one. If a player uses a hold point to use an ability, say poison someone as a snake. Does the druid still have to use Hack and Slash to make sure the attack goes through? Or does using the hold point bypass that?

The druid simply spends 1 hold and poisons a foe assuming that the druid can do so in the fiction. For example, he could not poison someone who is standing on a balcony shooting arrows unless he slithers up there. Whether slithering up to the balcony will require a defy danger again depends on the fiction and whether or not you feel there is danger in doing so. Simmilarly, you would probably fail to poison something that does not have flesh, like a stone golem or living shadow. Someone with heavy armor or a reach weapon would require a defy danger in one of my games, unless they were for so.e reason unable to defend from the attack.

All dangers aside, once the druid gets into a position where he can spend that hold, the effect takes place regardless.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 27, 2013

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Sionak posted:

In my Inverse World inspired game, the players just came across a cache of clearly evil masks with weird powers. They have (of course) decided to use the demon masks, so I've been trying to come up with a custom move. The masks are meant to be fairly powerful items that slowly corrupt their wearers.

This is the first custom move I've really done for DW, so I wouldn't mind some feedback. Here's what I have so far:

When you channel your will through a Demon mask, roll +Wis.

On a 10+, the mask helps you in a way that fits its nature.
(The masks are based on fairly simple traits - Deception, Gluttony, Hatred, Cruelty, and so on.)

On a 7-9, pick two.
- The mask doesn't ask for a favor in return.
- The mask doesn't interpret your request according to its own goals.
- You do not draw the attention of the mask's master.

On a 6-
The effect goes awry as the mask interprets your request. In addition, gain a corruption point as well as an experience point.

As corruption points accumulate, the personality of the mask may affect its wearer. When a character has corruption points equal to half their Wisdom, then the personality bleeds over. When the character has corruption points equal to three-quarters their Wisdom, the mask is a constant input on their decisions. And when the character has equal to their Wisdom score in corruption points, the mask is essentially in control.

Any feedback? Is introducing the corruption points too fiddly?

I am actually constantly making magic items and the like for my games. Come to think of it, I keep wanting to write a class, but I'm probably better off writing moves for items and nanofronts

Teonis fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 29, 2013

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
My mage player, who has the clock focus, just did this...

quote:

[mage] thinks for a moment.
"I would like to offer my services as a magic wielder as trade in exchange for payment towards a ship."
He says directing his offer towards their host.
"I am able to restore any object you desire with a marginal success rate."

[Thief] and [bard] still looking the worse for wear [mage] steps over to them and the old woman to make his point and attempts to heal all three of them by shaving a year of age off their bodies. To make them more youthful and resilient.
"Age, Reverse, Heal!"
11:02, Wed 04 Sept 2013: [mage] rolled 5 using 2d6+1 ((3,1)).+1 xp

[Mage] embarrassed by his blunder and realizing how this would effect the potential trade of magic for boat attempts to cancel his spell with an additional spell.
*whispering*"Spell Cancel Reverse"
But he blunders that too.
11:03, Wed 04 Sept 2013: [mage] rolled 6 using 2d6+1 ((3,2)).

hrm.. something must be wrong. Let me rest and I'm sure with a clear mind I can clear all this mess up. *holds his aching head in his hands a moment*

I laughed for a good while, talk about golden opportunity, this could potentially end the adventure. So I thought about my options; I could turn them into children, or make them old and give them -1 ongoing. However the current quest ends in a temple where a cult stole power from the gods, so I decide that the mage, who has been using magic to prolong his life, has angered death by trying to prolong other people as well. So as payment for the mage's transgressions, his allies both have a death sentence now and will die in 3 sunsets if they don't steal the power of the gods for themselves and undo the curse. Talk about motivation!

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Tomb of Horrors is deadly due to a distinct lack of information, not knowing is literally what kills you. The way dungeon world works you are presented with an obstacle and react to it, almost always you are given a chance to act or a choice to decide. A group of DW characters would have an easier time surviving the Tomb of Horrors than any dnd character ever did. Excluding maybe 4e, since there in so save or die effects or insta-kill.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
I'd be inclined to let the mage himself choose. The ritual never fails, but always has a price; while a spell has a chance for failure and consequences. How important is this spell to you? do you have the time to make it a ritual or do you want to risk casting the 'fast' version?

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
I find it interesting that you used choice moves on a monster, but I think it makes the monster seem 'soft.' Every time the player presents an opportunity, you would normally make a hard move with the monster, but in this case both his moves are soft moves that have hard choices on 7-9. To me, both those moves just sound like Defy Danger with pre-written results.

I could just see a bout with him going like this: (pardon the lack of flavor)
GM: The tallow fiend appears from the doorway and lumbers towards the cleric to grab him. What do you do?
Cleric: I jump back from the door, looking for cover behind the Fighter's shield, then I shoot searing light at is while invoking the name of Pelor.
GM: If you would please Defy Danger with Dex.
Cleric: Pelor fails me... I got a 5.
This is where the Hard move should be made, but lets use the Tallow Fiend's move.
GM: The fiend's speed surprises you and before you can escape, its waxy arms wrap around you. Roll + Str, please.
Cleric: Much better, 10.
GM: As he's grabbing you, your light returns and buffets his arms away from you, keeping you from his grasp. What do you do?
Cleric: I'm still too low on HP, I'm going to run behind the fighter again.
GM: You're still up close with the fiend, you have to Defy Danger again.

You can see that this made a lot of repetition in the fight. Now really, as a GM once the cleric was grabbed, I would have turned to my fighter and presented him with the Cleric's plight and asked what he would do, but what I'm demonstrating is that he had to go through 3 soft moves to get to a hard move when there were already opportunities afoot.

Do any other DW GMs disagree?

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Oh yes, there should be custom moves and setting moves that are reskinned DDs, but they should represent a danger that is not a monster or is too minor a threat to have a full stat block. DD doesn't belong on a monster because it will already be doing this to the players.

These moves would be more fitting for a trap or a monster without HP. An example of the latter would be something that is destroyed the moment you overcome it; a clay monster that shatters when you break out of its arms. Or, when the iron colossus grabs you roll +dex... that iron colossus doesn't need HP because he can only be stopped via ritual.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 9, 2013

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

gnome7 posted:

The easy fix would be to keep the Defy Danger move, but then also give the Tallow Fiend the following moves:

- Bind them with wax
- Set them on fire
- Melt or burn an item away

The DD move would trigger when you want to make a soft move on the players, and the list above would be your hard moves to hit them with when they're reeling.

These are the moves I would have gone with. When I read the DD style moves, what I saw, and maybe this was intentional, was a monster with a weak flame that is slow to burn and a frail grip. With the hard moves he becomes a fire hurling menace who will bury you in wax. But even if the first was what you are trying to do, the game is going to fill with extra die rolls and rules.

When a creature is grabbed by the tallow fiend it should defy danger to escape; on a 7-9 what complications might happen? Is binding you with wax really the ONLY thing that might happen while trying to escape? Maybe they do get covered while pulling free, ask them what part of their body is covered in wax. Maybe they get free but their shield is glued to its body, or they fumble into an ally knocking them both over. What is happening in the environment? If the tallow fiend has been shooting fire around, maybe the building is now burning, do you have enough time to help the wizard back to his feet before the roof caves in?

The moves themselves are things that should already be happening and the choices of the moves are too limiting for what this monster is capable of doing.

If the tallow fiend is a weak-flamed slow monster, play that in the fiction, not the rules. This is the spirit of Dungeon World.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 9, 2013

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
When you first get started making monsters, use the codex on The Dungeon World homepage. It uses multiple choice and the examples from the book to help you make monsters.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
I am a backer for some of these books, but will Inverse/Grim/Pirate World ever be available in online or brick-and-mortar stores; physical or otherwise? I am not able to afford the Physical Tier on any of the kick starters, but I want the books. Right now I've only backed enough to get the playbooks. I love reading all the new DW content, I'm just broke...

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

jivjov posted:

If I recall correctly, Grim World had a short window of post-Kickstarter preorders for physical books that ended shortly after halloween, but that was it. Can't speak for the other two.

The grim world page for physical tier is still open, here: http://boldlygames.com/grimworld
However, I'm just looking for the book before they run out, it seems like they only way to get it is the physical tier for late-backers. ($50)

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
I'm thinking about devising a way to play dungeon world using the Munchkin Card Game to generate random dungeons. my first thought was to simply use the cards has a DM to choose random events, however I now feel like letting the players get their hands on the cards too. I think it will make the game very meta, but by putting the power in the players hands it sticks to my dungeon world principles. I just imagine the prayers walking into a room and I hit them with a curse card, randomly changing the first player to the door to a different class / sex / race. Or facing an enemy the player whips out a -5 To monster and shrinks the Dragon down to a gecko.

even though it would be Fantasy Roleplay I want to try to stick to the spirit of munchkin, kill the monster, the treasure, stab your buddy.I was thinking the same thing would be a huge town around the world's most deadly dungeon, where everyday heroes venture forth to claim glory. I'm not certain if the players will start with play books or gain them with a class card. If the latter, I have to find a way to let them quickly make characters. I also want to find a way to encourage backstabbing so the players Don't just steamroll my dungeon.maybe only one of them is allowed to make it to the final room and claim the greatest reward the dungeon has to offer.

so is this a totally dumb idea, or should I go for it? Would anyone be interested in Test playing this if I make a test version?

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Even if the Mage is capable of fixing any problem, couldn't you rule that if the origin of the problem is something opposed to their focus then they cannot affect it with weave a spell? I just thought of that, but I've never really had a problem with my Clock Mage player being all powerful. Often, he can be found bungling a spell or the drawback he picks allows for hillarious or surprising events to unfold, more often than not, he would solve one problem only to create a new one. The first spell he ever cast was to make any weapons within 3 feet of him stop dead; he blew the roll, so naturally I make the spell effect his weapons too! After accidentally freezing his staff, he tired again to fix the problem and ended up turning his Staff into an unpredictable immovable rod, something which I can use any time he rolls a 6-.

My players were crossing a giant saltwater marsh and a storm was blowing in from the sea. I was going to try and separate them, but then my Clock Mage rolls back time on the weather. Super cool, So I let him do it, buying them 2 hours. A fight later, they find a wrecked boat burried in the muck, not only did they dig it out, but he rewound time on it to restore it. He picks his drawback, and I decide that the boat is only big enough for half the party; so I got to split them after all. He's also tried to freeze a black ooze only to succeed in cutting it in half; he's caused a heart attack while trying to speed up the ranger's regeneration; he casued a stilt-house to age rapidly and as half the party fell through the rotten holes forming in the floor, the black ooze, which he outran with a haste spell, catches up to the party. (the ranger was pissed about that one) While fighting the ooze in the same house, he ended up collapsing the entire building. and Lastly, he tried to reverse an old woman's age, only to put a death curse on her (and 2 other party members who were helping!) that would take her life in 3 days, unless they activated the sun dias in a sunken temple that a cult of evil elves were looking for in the marsh.

All in all, his spells were powerful, but it is from the drawbacks that I was able to create many more story elements. Let you mages be super Gandalf strong, but make the concequences of their endevors appropriately worthy. We nearly got to a point where the other players were saying, don't cast a spell unless someone REALLY needs it.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Very cool exploration move, I'm going to have to try it. However, I think there is an inconsistency. Correct me if I am wrong:

BrotherAdso posted:

Basic Terrain Type - an area can have only one basic terrain type. This is usually something very simple like "desert," "jungles," "hills," "mountains," and so on. If no one defines a basic terrain type during Exploration, it defaults to the same basic terrain the characters left from.
First it is established that the terrain stays the same if not changed, but while spending hold later on, it looks as though you have to pay to extend the terrain.

BrotherAdso posted:

The party may spend two Explorer Holds to do things like…
--> Describe the basic type of terrain they are traveling through IF the area they are leaving had a "soft border".
--> Extend the basic terrain of the last area they were traveling through to this area.
--> Add a feature or element to the basic type of terrain from the last area.
--> Extend a feature or element to the basic type of terrain from the last area.
--> Add a tag, descriptor or a specific individual to a settlement in the area they are traveling through.
--> Place a "soft border" indicating a gradual change to a new type of terrain.
Is there a reason players would need to spend their hold to extend the terrain if it defaults to that?

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
This was the entire premise of a skirmish battle DW hack I failed to write for a contest last year. Mine was about vikings and orcs, but I think I might be able to start re-cobbling it into a class

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

wrl posted:

Was messing around with some monster-as-character ideas and started whipping up The Treant for fun. Not even close to done, but comment/enjoy.

When you think treat you've got to think big and nothing in the playbook makes me feel like I am using a character that is any bigger than any other race. Make sure to emphasize your size in your moves, you'll want to make the players feel Like They Are Huge When They Play A treant. You should check out the playbook for Giant by madadric in the OP, it is pretty effective at throwing the character's weight around, I was going to play one, a bridge troll, but because it feels so big, I opted for a smaller character and played a 10 foot tall Brute.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
When you say battle cook, my first thoughts are Toriko and Sanji, from One Piece; have you considered using either of them as points of reference for your Cook? I love the idea of the cook, I am going to have to find a game I can play one in. I like the idea, 'if all you have is a spatula, every problem looks like a recipe.'

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

If you are having trouble with all your players trying to jump into action all at once, you'll want to engage them in one-to-one conversations and then switch between each player as the action flows. Avoid things like "The mob of black-robed cultists are charging down the temple steps at the party below, using gravity of the steep slope and spears to bear down on you like a wall of stabbing night. What do you do?" This invites everyone to act all at once. If you address one player at a time, you can control the conversation. "blah-blah, ...wall of stabbing night. Agrast, you had gone a good distance up the steps while reading the carvings on the wall and the cultists are right on top of you! what do you do?" ... Agrast hides behind his shield, rolling defy-danger or even defend. "You hold against your shield as the raving cultists attack, but their numbers threaten to shove you down the stairs. Rodrick, you are right behind Agrast and the man of cloth is barely holding his own and more cultists are pushing around him. What do you do?" ... "meanwhile, Rosin the Bow, you are at the bottom of the steps and hear the battle cries of the Cult of Sanguine above as they clash with your allies, what do you do?"

You'll still have players jumping into the conversation, let them! Any thing they want to do can be an Aid roll to the current player. As they learn that they can only assist the current action, they will adjust and either learn to aid, or wait till the can interject.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Is it considered bad form to edit another writer's playbook? I have a player in my game who wants to run a particular class, but I feel it is broken. I made a bunch of edits, but not sure if it is okay to post them without asking the person who made it.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 13, 2014

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
So the changed were made to the Charlatan class by Sears Poncho. The front of the playbook was mostly fine, I didn't replace alignment or race with drives/backgrounds simply because my players were okay with races. But I did make a change to Con Artist and Bag of Tricks

quote:

Con Artist
Whenever you attempt to sell a useless item, talk yourself out of trouble with an authority figure, or try to convince someone you are more powerful than you truly are, roll +CHA. If you roll a 10+, you are successful and you gain +1 forward to the next move taken to deceive the same target....
The +1 forward is redundant with an Advanced Move, so I modified them into one move.

Bag of tricks received an overhaul:

quote:

Bag of Tricks
Your bag of tricks contains various props, such as 'magic' wands, powders that change the color of fire and smoke, crystals, and tarot cards. As long as your bag of tricks is in your possession, you also have a supply of the following useful items with 2 Ammo each:
•Flash Cotton creates a quick burst of bright flame. When you use flash cotton to blind a creature temporarily, roll +Dex; on 10+ the target is blinded just long enough to take advantage of the situation. on 7 - 9, they are blinded, but pick one:
  • It does not last as long as you hoped.
  • Someone unintended is also blinded.
  • You supply is momentarily exhausted until you can replenish it.
•Smoke Bombs rapidly fill an area roughly the size of a small room full of thick smoke. When you throw a smoke bomb at your feet, spend 1 Ammo and all creatures in the affected area have limited vision, but are also obscured from others.
•Fireworks come in two basic types.
  • Cherry bombs explode after two or three seconds and cause disorientation. They may be thrown (near) and deal your damage to anyone struck by the cherry bomb.
  • Rockets take a minute to set up (slow) and deal d10 damage to anyone struck by one. All rockets follow an erratic path, take a -1 penalty when you Volley with rockets. This penalty increases to -2 if the target is far.
All fireworks are very, very loud.

Reasons for the change; bag of tricks seems to give you an inexhaustible supply of weapons, some of which didn't require rolls. Flash paper now has a move tied to it, one that is triggered by fiction. Some minor wording changed on smoke bombs so their effect makes more sense. Both fireworks had their damaged reduced to match the damage scale represented in the core book (2d6 on rockets was insane, they have better dice than the Apocalypse Dragon!) and cherry bombs now have an effect that makes them more useful than plain old throwing daggers, which the class may have.

I added an ammo value to the fireworks since both of them requires you to volley, and that may consume your supply on a roll of 9 or less. I was trying to decide between a separate ammo for each item or 5 ammo for the whole bag, since it does so many things.

I also added a move to replenish lost items from back of tricks.

quote:

Powder Monkey
When you have the supplies available and spend one or more hours crafting more tricks, you may replenish up to 2 Ammo (to a Max of 3 Ammo) on one of the items in your Bag of Tricks for each hour spent doing so.

I was also running into a problem with the advanced moves. A large majority of the advanced moves are adding something mathematical, like a +1 to rolls. This was causing a huge change in probability, and several of the options are stacking. (up to a +3 in some cases, not counting +Mod) Several of the advanced moves had to be changed, some of them make it impossible for you to have a failure in the case of defy danger (Dex) and sleight of hand.

quote:

Level 2-5 moves:

Juggler
Take +1 to volley and +1 damage with thrown weapons. This advanced move is problematic, typically classes don't gain a flat +1 to any basic moves. The only alternative I came up with was perhaps something closer to: when you throw a weapon with the thrown tag, you count it as the ammo tag instead, this gives you a replenish-able supply of throwing daggers and anything else thrown you find.

Cowardice
When you defy danger by running away or hiding, add +1 to your roll. This is the same problem that Juggler is having, here's an alternative: you may treat a 7 - 9 as a 10+, but you pass the danger on to another person nearby. This allows the charlatan to bypass having to take a worse outcome by pushing the problem onto an unsuspecting victim, which could turn out bad as well. This also sets up for a new advanced move.

A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing
When you roll a 7-9 on a spout lore attempt, you may ask your GM to give you two pieces of information instead on one moderately useful one. One of these pieces of information will be true, and useful. The other will be completely wrong. This move is counter-intuitive to some Dungeon World principles. As a DM it only makes things difficult, I would never lie to the player on a spout lore or discern realities, even on a miss. It isn't part of playing to the fiction and it is frustrating to players.

Nothing Up My Sleeve
You get +1 on sleight of hand attempts. This one is the same as juggler, but I am tempted to allow it as I am changing the 6 - 10 move that is based on this one.

Level 6-10 moves:

The Long Con
Take +1 ongoing to all moves intended to deceive someone who has fallen victim to your con artist or fortune teller moves until your deception is discovered. This goes hand-in-hand with the change I made with the Starting Moves: Con Artist. "If you roll a 10+, you are successful and you gain +1 forward to the next move taken to deceive the same target." as a result, I removed the +1 on Con Artist and... Your cons are exceptionally believable. When you attempt to use the Con Artist move or Fortune Teller move on someone whom you've successfully fooled before, take +1 forward to the roll.

Pyromancer
You've mastered the theatrical use of fire, and picked up some nasty tricks to use in combat. As long as you have your bag of tricks, you can roll +DEX to throw a burst of fire in an arc (close, 2d6 damage, ignores armor).You also get +1 to volley any flaming objects. I love the idea of adding more tricks to your bag! I wish there was a 2 - 5 move like this one. However, it does not fictionally make sense that you become more accurate with objects just because they are on fire. This move, unfortunately, seems unfinished. There is nothing that tells you what happens when you roll +Dex; what happenes on a 10+, 7 - 9, or even miss? Also, it needs a fictional trigger, like the others. PS: omg, thats a lot of damage, again. So we replace it with: When you use your bag of tricks to produce an arc of flames immediately in front of you, Roll +Dex. On a 10+, deal your damage to any creature caught in the flames, this attack ignores armor. On a 7 - 9, as above, but either someone or something unintended, or even you yourself, is caught in the flames as well. (note, this trick does not use ammo, you're probably using raw ingredients to do this anyway.)

Well Read
Requires: A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing
Take +1 to all spout lore rolls, and get twice as many uses out of books. Same as juggler, but it would be okay if this were conditional. Perhaps, When you Spout Lore on the mysterious or magical, take +1 Forward to the roll and... the books thing

Factotum
You can learn one move from another class, treating your level as one lower. You can't learn real magic. This move may be taken twice. You've already taken it once as a 2 - 5 move, you can't take 3 multiclass moves.

Just a Misunderstanding
Requires: Cowardice
When you are outnumbered, you get +1 armor and +1 defy danger. This is the thief's Underdog move, but with the impossible +1 to all Defy rolls attached. I still need to change the second part to something else.

Master Magician
Replaces: Nothing Up My Sleeve
You get +2 on sleight of hand rolls. Remember, I said I was replacing this back on Nothing Up My Sleeve. When you use Sleight of Hand to remove and object from another creature's possession, you may replace it with another object of your choosing without any further detection; a convincing fake you fashioned just for this occasion, a different item yours or someone else's, or a lit firework.

Desperate Lie
When one of your schemes is discovered, you have one last chance to tell a whopper and convince your mark it was all a misunderstanding. You get one chance to roll a 10+. This roll never gets any kind of bonus. This move is fine, but seems unfinished. I suppose you are trying to make the roll to avoid the reprocussions of your own scheming. It just doesn't seem clear what the results of this roll mean.
Any of the moves left off were okay by me.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 13, 2014

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

Some advice needed on the outset - do you guys do grid combat? Hexes?

The core book describes some weapon ranges, I use these as a guide as to how far everyone is from each other. if goblins are shooting crude arrows at you from near range, I'll let you change them while only drawing fire once. If an elven mercenary is harrying you from far range, you are going to need to get creative to approach him without becoming a pincushion.

I also draw rough maps of the area so the players can decide where to head, or what cluster of combat they are involved in.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 15, 2014

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

slydingdoor posted:

I assume Sage and Adam.

Actually the moves draw from various fire themes. Here's a starter move trigger: "When you gaze intensely into someone eyes, you may ask their player “what fuels the flames of your desire?”"

Here's some advanced moves: Sick Burn (insult move), Burning Bridges (sacrifice bonds to be reborn), Moth to the Flame (tempt a weak mind with your inner fire).

The class still uses the Alignment/Race setup, but I guess this keeps it in theme with other books by the guys.
You fight unarmed and unarmored, just your fire, but combined with your starting moves, you can create any fire/flame weapon you want and when you take damage, you trigger a move that can possibly soak damage or increase your own. There are some other neat tricks too that reference different ways of using fire, like the above mentioned move, I don't want to spoil them all. The class blends pyromania, warlocks, and seer/prophetic traits that make it a wider themed class than just "burn, baby, burn."

The cause is a fantastically awesome one, so toss a dollar or more at them and check it out yourself. You will also be supporting women's equality in the gaming industry, something that is sadly nonexistent at this time.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
If the group is going to be changing every session, you may have to go for a monster-of-the-week feel or resign that the character 'mysteriously wander off' between sessions or 'they were always there.'

As for the murder-hobo, try to engage him with an NPC or place him in places where violence is obviously going to screw everyone over. but be sure not to troll him or you will just get angry players.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
So I've got a game coming up and I asked my wife what kind of character she wanted to play. Well she decided she wanted to play a Japanese demon, like Inuyasha. Shes a big anime fan, so I wanted to help her out and told her she could probably play another class that has the basic abilities that someone like Inuyasha would have, then use a compendium class to add all her demon powers. I've been playing with the idea in my head for a week now and was wondering if anyone has made a class that resembles, or would be good for, making a Youkai, or Japanese folklore demon/spirit. I've been using inspirations like Inuyasha, of course, Yuyu Hakusho, Kamisama Kiss, and other japanese folklore.

I was thinking Youkai could be a Compendium class that highlights your demon powers, but if there are any takers, a full on Youkai playbook might be worth a try. I just don't have the know-how or experience to write a full on class yet, but I'm going to work on the CC at work today and post it later.

Currently playing with ideas like: Spirit, Demon, and Oni as the races. A signature attack you can make during character creation. Powering up a chosen weapon with demon energy.

I have a sinking feeling this whole thing is going to lead to me making an Feudal-Japan-hack of Dungeon world for my wife... Oriental Adventures anyone?

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Is it just me, or is the dexterity stat a lot more useful in Dungeon World than the other stats? My players aren't min/maxing assholes but I imagine that if you wanted to make an optimized character, 16/15 dexterity at start would be a lot more useful than 8 or 9. Not because of the mechanics, but simply due to the nature of fiction. Dodging stuff is always going to be more useful than taking it to the face. You could conceivably dodge both an arrow and an ogre's club, but you can't really block such a massive strike, so STR and CON aren't as effective. Defy danger is almost always with dexterity, because running away or dodging or climbing and what have you is almost always possible. This is closely followed by charisma which is useful in social situations but even then messing up can always be resolved with "We bail out."

What I'm saying is, unless you're a fighter, you probably won't put much in STR or CON. Unless you're a cleric or druid, WIS is your dump stat. Only bards really use CHA, and nobody but wizards uses INT. But everyone should invest in dexterity because it's really the swiss army knife of abilities, even if it's secondary to their most important stat. This makes elf fighters almost universally superior to the other fighters: they can totally dump STR if they want and dodge anything coming their way.

I don't really know why I'm writing this, I'm just kinda annoyed that my idea for Randalf the Ripped, the wizard with 16 intelligence and 15 strength, seems mechanically inferior to Rincewind with 16 intelligence and 15 dexterity, so to speak. Unless you have a good GM who manages to throw a lot of different dangers your way that you can't just run away from, or you like handicapping your character for roleplaying purposes, you never defy danger with anything except dexterity.

My favorite character right now only has a 9 in DEX and has never had any problem with Defy Danger. Of course, he is a Brute, so I usually WANT to take the hit so I can trigger my moves, but when I do Defy Danger, I use STR to catch their weapon, or even CON to ignore the blow entirely.

It is a very narrow view to think that dodging is the only way around a problem, even something like arrows. For instance:
GM: You are charging across the field when the archers on the lookout tower loose a hail of arrows that darken the skys above you, what do you do?
Paladin: I Hold up my shield and continue to charge towards the wooden palisades , determined to get inside the fort before the gate is shut.
GM: Okay, are you trying to dodge any of them on the way, or just let your shield take all the hits?
Paladin: I can't be bothered with dodging, there is not enough time! I say, "Shields up," like the captain of the Enterprise and run in.
GM: Nice, Give me Defy Danger CON, then, as you sprint through the hail of arrows.
I actually changed the danger here in response to his move; I have no doubt that a paladin's shield can block arrows all coming from one direction. Now he has to keep from getting worn out on the way there before he runs out of time, since he specified he wanted to get to the palisade before the gate closed.

I tend to hit my players with diseases, too. It not only adds a nice thematic element to a monster for it to be a carrier, but it introduces a threat when an infected player makes camp and they have to roll Defy Danger CON to resist the disease. 10+ you shake off the sickness, suffering only a few minor symptoms. 7-9 has you will recover after a days rest, but you have been weakened (or other debility based on the disease) until you can get said bed rest. 6- and the disease not only causes a debility, but also progresses, introducing worse effects.

Other favorites are Wizard/Mage using prestidigitation to make a breeze blow the arrows off course: Defy Danger INT. Avoiding the territory of a mother bear and her cubs: Defy Danger WIS. Stopping a boulder rolling down a ramp dead in its tracks before it crushes the other party members: Defy Danger STR. Many things you think may be DEX could end up being something else if your players think of a different solution.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 12, 2014

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I love letting my players roll CON to just tank something and shrug it off. That always has great descriptions after it happens.

You want to balance ignoring blows with CON and the Defend move for when each one is appropriate so you do not completely negate the use of Defend. When someone is fighting in battle and they are focusing on protecting themselves, this should be Defend. When they are about to take a hit or damage from a source they saw coming, such as a triggered trap or a ceiling collapsing, Defying said Danger with CON is more appropriate. Picture the roof caving in and, emerging from the rubble, the dwarf pushes fallen timbers off his back as he stands up in a cloud of dust. The effects of the Defend move are less effective, or ineffective, against a static danger like a trap or cave-in, while the bonuses granted by Defend make far more sense when combating opponents or trying to block someone's passage.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Well, specifically, he held his breath in a room full of poison that makes you hallucinate rather than deals damage. He took his sweet-rear end time investigating the room (think like 5 whole minutes) so I thought he had to roll CON at least once to keep holding his breath. Those last two were pretty much the dangers he was defying at that point.

EDIT: also, I don't think anyone has ever triggered the defend move in my many months of gm'ing. They all rather attack the enemy, triggering hack and slash instead. I think the idea that you can't completely negate damage with defend means they are all wary of using it and would rather just deal damage if they're going to take it as well. Besides, the way we interpreted it is that the defend move is only when defending something other than yourself. If the paladin protects the ranger while the ranger fires arrows, the paladin is defending the ranger and can redirect the damage to himself (thus almost entirely negating arrows and such due to his high armor). If he wants to take a blow to his chest while he swings at the enemy, that's just hack and slash with him taking damage (either 7-9 normal result, or 10+ with him dealing extra damage). If he's using his shield to take a blow, I assume that's either defy danger with STR or CON (I'd err to the side of STR).

Defending yourself is actually included in the move description.

Dungeon World posted:

Defending yourself is certainly an option. It amounts to giving up on making attacks and just trying to keep yourself safe.
Also, by defending you can negate damage entirely. If you take the half damage effect, that is applied before armor. So a paladin can completely soak an attack and then open up the opponent to an ally if it is a big enemy or deal damage equal to level if it is a small enemy. Damage equal to level may not seem like much, but by the time you reach level 6 you may actually kill many enemies this way. Additionally, the Paladin's starting weapons both deal +1 damage, so even at level 1 you deal 2 damage when someone attacks you or whatever you are defending.

You might still say that you can just deal full damage instead at the risk for a little more damage, but what happens when an enemy attacks an NPC in the group or tries to slip passed the defender into the room of much squishier and much less defended people. Lastly, when you are completely out numbered, the enemies use 1 damage roll and all add +1 to the damage result for each additional attacker (i know some GMs play multiple attackers differently, but this is how Sage and Adam describe it.) That means if you are outnumbered 5 to 1, they are going to deal [largest die]+4 damage (this means minimum 5 damage, assuming the leading monster does not have a bonus to damage of his own.) Suddenly, half damage sounds a lot more important than dealing full damage to a single one enemy.

Edit: I only just thought of this, but nothing says you cannot chose an effect more than once. How would other GMs here feel about applying 'Deal damage equal to level' more than once?

Teonis fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 12, 2014

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Screw the rules, this is Dungeon world! Just kidding, but anyway, I actually interpret that the other way, it really depends on what you consider "total."

More importantly than that, does it match up with the fiction? When all is said and done, it is going to be to the digression of the GM and his interpretation of the fiction. I would think that you are actively trying to make it harder for your opponents to hit (half damage) and what does hit still has to deal with your armor. It isn't hard to imagine it the other way around, as well, if you are using your armor to deflect the brunt of an attack (subtracting armor) then ignoring half of the remaining damage. (Roll with the punches?) This would be like a 'half damage' version of the fighter advanced move, except it doesn't break your armor in the process.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
"Total" as in, after all modifiers have been applied. It's role playing, not arithmetic. Mathematically, when I get my total at the store, I would certainly hope it includes any applicable discounts...

Being a fan of the players doesn't mean letting them walk all over you. One of the other moves is to show a drawback of their race, class, or equipment. In a Norse Ragnarok style game I'm running, I frequently knock the armored players down. I'm worried it might become a running gag. If the Paladin is going to invest in lots of armor, that is the thing he wants to be good at; let him be good at it! There is a huge variety of ways to threaten a character other than HP damage. For instance, he constantly has to worry about his comrades to the point where it is an emotional burden. Currently they are trying to rescue a hireling, who they had to trade to a werewolf after it had infected him, in order to escape a dire situation. The Paladin was so torn up and is honor bound to do something about it. I made it into a mini-front, in case they fail they will have a new villain. "Sir Knight threw me to the wolves, literally!"

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

We've basically come full circle then. Great!

Post-Apocalypse World: a hack of Cyberpunk World: a hack of Modern World: a hack of Dieselpunk World: a hack of Victorian SciFi World: a better version of Steampunk World: a hack of Da'Vinci World: a hack of Pirate World: a hack of Dungeon World: a hack of Apocalypse World! Several of these take from real world experiences, btw.

While still acting crazy, has anyone made a Stonepunk setting? Like a neolithic, pre-iron age, fantasy setting with tribalism, blood gods, and mythology; fighting prehistoric versions of fantasy monsters riding dinosaurs and woolly war-mammoths.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 14, 2014

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Are bullets for different guns worth different amounts. Like is a shotgun shell a fiver and a 9mm round a single?

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

RSIxidor posted:

"Gavilians! Horrible creatures,"

Awesome

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Cheap Shot posted:

Yeah, I really wish it would display the prices in USD. :( I'm probably losing some potential backers because they're used to all the prices being USD.

It is only a couple dollars less for USD per tier; that shouldn't really be enough to scare people off. Like RSIxidor said, $60 CAD is roughly $55 USD. Tell all the Americans they get a 8% discount when they back and they will jump all over it!

In all seriousness, I'll back it as soon as I scrounge up the funds.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Radio Talmudist posted:

So for the past few hours I've been reading this excellent summary of the DW rules I found on the AW forum. Turns out it was written by goons! Good job!

I think I'm going to have a go and run a game of this. I'm pretty new to RPGs and so are my friends, so a rules-light game like DW seems to be a smart fit. That said, I'm still a little intimidated by the prospect of having to improv so much. I hope I'm up to the task.

Was it the beginner's guide to Dungeon World by Scrape? Without that thing, I would not have been able to run my first game so well. That guide comes from the first Dungeon World thread.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Must. Play. Trooper.
So when are you going to run a game so goons can testplay these playbooks for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

djw175 posted:

Can I take 8 battleaxes and combine them into an octuple battleaxe?

Battle-wheel!