Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

pipes! posted:

Anyone know of any good Dungeon World session podcasts? I've been thinking of trying my hand at running a game, but would like to listen in on some play first to get a better feel for the flow and nuances. I actually really liked the Retsutalk one, but ideally would like something a little more serious/has a little more content available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooa-apRt2wk

Rollplay R&D Dungeon World is pretty good. It's up to week 6 at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
How far is Close supposed to be for your average, human-sized guy? ~50 yards? Far feels like ~250 yards.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bigup DJ posted:

How far is Close supposed to be for your average, human-sized guy? ~50 yards? Far feels like ~250 yards.

Near would be about 50 yards. Close is "slightly beyond arm's reach" - so, within sword swinging range.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Tollymain posted:

6-10s aren't as egregious though. This one had like 5 moves in the 2-5 section keying off a 6th.

If you're talking about my avenger playbook, that is the result of me shuffling lightwalker from a starting move into an advanced one at one point to accommodate the possibility of playing a less obviously supernatural avenger and to give it the blood sacrifice move as a starting move so the class has a way to commune with it's god for boons, such as debility removal. I thought a divine class should be able to pray and lot of it's other moves inflict debilities so having some way to self heal those was important, even if it's completely up to the mercy of the GM. (two of them have a chance to straight up kill you if you don't take at least three debilities with mortification of the flesh). Also re-reading the class after not touching it for a couple of months, I think the advanced moves work better as just having everything available at any level instead of dividing them to 2-5 and 6-10 brackets.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
The Gallant, 1.2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B16XBQ0EsPvTSXl2cWg5UlVETE0/edit?usp=sharing

After our first session playing with The Gallant, I think there are a couple final tweaks to make, but I wanted to run them by you guys.

Some background, first: My player started at level 2, since he played one session prior with The Paladin before I had The Gallant playbook ready, and had gained a level. I let him carry it over. He chose Idealism as his advanced move, giving him access to more Valor-gaining capability. He's the type of guy to play cautiously with his resources but recklessly with his character.

Ok, with that clear:
At the end of the session, he had a decent amount of Valor left over. He had gotten himself into plenty of trouble, and did spend some as he went along to shrug damage or deal out the pain, but still ended the session with 7 Valor in the bank. So, while he might be a bit of an edge case, he did spend some, but he spent less than he gained.

The first thought that I wanted to run by you guys is this: Should Valor clear at the end of a session? Or, perhaps, even at the character taking the Rest move? This would prevent someone from building up a ridiculously large bank of Valor, but still allow it to persist between encounters.

The second thought is that, since Sacrifice doesn't allow The Gallant to heal himself as the Paladin's Lay On Hands does, that perhaps he needs a Valor-driven healing mechanic. Since Valor can already prevent damage, allowing it to heal damage wouldn't be unreasonable. I would, of course, make the healing less effective than not taking the damage in the first place, but as an alternative.

Additionally, the Perseverence advanced move is one of the three'ish remaining hold-overs from the base Paladin, and when combined with Valor's natural damage-shrugging ability, might make him too immune to damage right up until the point that he isn't anymore. Rather than allowing him to soldier on by means of his showy gallantry and manage resources, he would (theoretically) not take damage at all for a long time and then suddenly be out of ability to do it anymore.

Therefore, I thought about switching Perseverence out for a new move that makes him less immediately immune to damage, but more able to go into new fights a bit better off. Tell me what you think:

New Perseverence posted:

Perseverence (Valor)
When you are battered and broken, but give a short speech about why your cause is worth fighting for, you may spend Valor to heal yourself. When you do, heal 1d4 hp for each Valor spent.

This would, then, also play nicely with the Hospitaller move, if the player finds that they want to heal themselves more effectively.

What do you guys think about these changes?

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 18, 2014

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

madadric posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooa-apRt2wk

Rollplay R&D Dungeon World is pretty good. It's up to week 6 at the moment.

Going to give this a listen right now, thanks!

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

So I've been tinkering with a Dungeon World hack for a while now, to adjust the rules and playbooks to (hopefully!) better fit a 19th-20th century, magic+technology, vaguely Final Fantasy style setting, without as much of a D&D emphasis.

Now, while I've been working on this, I've been thinking about the idea of a more 'freeform' class system for Dungeon World.

The core idea is that at character creation you pick an Archetype, which functions like a broad class with no advanced moves. There'd probably be six Archetypes - one for each of the hack's stats (Charm, Focus, Grace, Power & Skill) as well as a "Freelancer" Archetype. Then, advanced moves would come from essentially Compendium Classes, each with a core move and then four additional moves after that (so 5 total).

Characters could begin at either Level 0 (with just the starting moves), or Level 1 (with 1 advanced move), depending on how simple the GM wants to start off. This would let you end up with a Level 10 character that has learnt all the moves in 2 Classes, or a broader spread if the player wishes. So a player could be a Powerful Knight, or a Graceful Hunter/Sharpshooter, or a Focused Arcanist/Geomancer/Oracle, for example.

My primary concerns are [1] what to do about 6-10 moves (e.g. whether to have "Advanced" Classes available, or just drop the 6-10 idea entirely), [2] balancing between classes, and [3] whether or not the idea is a tad too complex. One of things I love about Dungeon World is that it isn't needlessly complex, so I wouldn't want to jeopardise that.

So my question to you guys is whether or not this sounds feasible and/or a worthwhile idea? Any other thoughts would be appreciated too, I've been mulling over this idea for a while now so it'd be nice to get someone else's opinion.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I don't have as much hands-on experience with DW yet, but I was thinking of that kind of freeform+compendium classes idea the other day. I think the key would be to make 'compendium classes' dipping-friendly, with a strong central move that adds a new capability, but one where a character could plausibly have more than one such additional capability without being all over the place with unrelated specializations. What if you structured most 'compendium classes' to have a core move, 3 more 'basic' moves', and one '6-10' capstone move that's unlocked by having any 2 of the 'basic' moves? With room for variation if say, one 'basic' move obviously led to the '6-10'.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Daphnaie posted:

So I've been tinkering with a Dungeon World hack for a while now, to adjust the rules and playbooks to (hopefully!) better fit a 19th-20th century, magic+technology, vaguely Final Fantasy style setting, without as much of a D&D emphasis.

Now, while I've been working on this, I've been thinking about the idea of a more 'freeform' class system for Dungeon World.

Have you looked at Apocalypse World and the more direct hacks of that system? Dungeon World is a hack of Apocalypse World built to emulate a D&D setting and feel. If you want to make it feel less like D&D, why not re-hack the original instead of hacking the hack? Apocalypse World also has an advantage there, because it's built to be a little more freeform and for all of the classes to be able to take base moves from other classes.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Daphnaie posted:

The core idea is that at character creation you pick an Archetype, which functions like a broad class with no advanced moves. There'd probably be six Archetypes - one for each of the hack's stats (Charm, Focus, Grace, Power & Skill) as well as a "Freelancer" Archetype. Then, advanced moves would come from essentially Compendium Classes, each with a core move and then four additional moves after that (so 5 total).

Characters could begin at either Level 0 (with just the starting moves), or Level 1 (with 1 advanced move), depending on how simple the GM wants to start off. This would let you end up with a Level 10 character that has learnt all the moves in 2 Classes, or a broader spread if the player wishes. So a player could be a Powerful Knight, or a Graceful Hunter/Sharpshooter, or a Focused Arcanist/Geomancer/Oracle, for example.

My primary concerns are [1] what to do about 6-10 moves (e.g. whether to have "Advanced" Classes available, or just drop the 6-10 idea entirely), [2] balancing between classes, and [3] whether or not the idea is a tad too complex. One of things I love about Dungeon World is that it isn't needlessly complex, so I wouldn't want to jeopardise that.

So my question to you guys is whether or not this sounds feasible and/or a worthwhile idea? Any other thoughts would be appreciated too, I've been mulling over this idea for a while now so it'd be nice to get someone else's opinion.

I like it! I'm planning to do a similar thing with my Exalted Hack. Infernals is the closest thing I've got to a finished example of the core moves + modular movesets idea.

I've dropped the 6-10 moves entirely - I've found prerequisite moves do the job just as well, but I've never played a character from level 1 to 10 so take that with a grain of salt. I don't think the idea is complex - I mean levelling up would be a bit more involved, but so long as all your starting moves are in one place you'll retain the pick-up-and-play aspect of regular playbooks. As for balance, I couldn't say - I'm trying a system with the Exalted hack where everyone draws from a huge move pool with XP discounts dependent on aptitudes chosen when you make a character, so I'll have to see how that turns out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Daphnaie posted:

Johnstone Metzger has actually already done this: https://plus.google.com/+JohnstoneMetzger/posts/KByeKtLPehd

(Get the latest link from the bottom of the comments, the one in the OP is dead.)

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Kellsterik posted:

I don't have as much hands-on experience with DW yet, but I was thinking of that kind of freeform+compendium classes idea the other day. I think the key would be to make 'compendium classes' dipping-friendly, with a strong central move that adds a new capability, but one where a character could plausibly have more than one such additional capability without being all over the place with unrelated specializations. What if you structured most 'compendium classes' to have a core move, 3 more 'basic' moves', and one '6-10' capstone move that's unlocked by having any 2 of the 'basic' moves? With room for variation if say, one 'basic' move obviously led to the '6-10'.

I actually quite like that idea. An unmentioned concern I had was that players might not be interested in taking more than one or two moves from a single class. Having a 'capstone'-type move would be a good way to make the idea more appealing.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Have you looked at Apocalypse World and the more direct hacks of that system? Dungeon World is a hack of Apocalypse World built to emulate a D&D setting and feel. If you want to make it feel less like D&D, why not re-hack the original instead of hacking the hack? Apocalypse World also has an advantage there, because it's built to be a little more freeform and for all of the classes to be able to take base moves from other classes.

I have looked at Apocalypse World - actually, it was Dungeon World that I was unfamiliar with when I first started trying to conceptualise the idea. When I was researching other hacks I finally got around to looking at DW and pretty much instantly fell in love with it (I though 13th Age was the D&D I always wanted until I read DW!)

The reason I moved the 'core' of the game to Dungeon World was actually because I think it's closer to what I was thinking of for the game than AW is. In other words, I feel there's less distance to go from DW to my idea than from AW to it. The setting I have closely fits "Dungeon World", I more meant the legacy D&D parts of the game I was looking to tone down. But I admit, that's assuming I use DW classes (which is how I've written my classes at the moment) rather than the freeform idea (which I'm still unsure about).

Bigup DJ posted:

I like it! I'm planning to do a similar thing with my Exalted Hack. Infernals is the closest thing I've got to a finished example of the core moves + modular movesets idea.

I've dropped the 6-10 moves entirely - I've found prerequisite moves do the job just as well, but I've never played a character from level 1 to 10 so take that with a grain of salt. I don't think the idea is complex - I mean levelling up would be a bit more involved, but so long as all your starting moves are in one place you'll retain the pick-up-and-play aspect of regular playbooks. As for balance, I couldn't say - I'm trying a system with the Exalted hack where everyone draws from a huge move pool with XP discounts dependent on aptitudes chosen when you make a character, so I'll have to see how that turns out.

Thanks for the link, I'm interested to see what other people have done in this area!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Johnstone Metzger has actually already done this: https://plus.google.com/+JohnstoneMetzger/posts/KByeKtLPehd

(Get the latest link from the bottom of the comments, the one in the OP is dead.)

Ah, I probably should have mentioned in my original post that I've read through Class Warfare. Thanks for bringing it up though! I like the work that Johnstone has done, but I was aiming for a slightly different take on the idea. Class Warfare is a bit more complex and front-end intensive than I was thinking of.

---

But I should make clear that I'm not married to the idea of freeform classes, it's primarily something that has been bumbling around in my head for a while now so I wanted the chance for some feedback. You can only over-think something by yourself for so long! So thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Kellsterik posted:

I love this idea of capstone moves, and it helps give people a reason why they might want to fully explore a class, unlike in the DnD3.X prestige class era when you never stuck with a PC longer than the specific thing you needed for a kooky build.

Bigup DJ posted:

... I'm trying a system with the Exalted hack where everyone draws from a huge move pool with XP discounts dependent on aptitudes chosen when you make a character, so I'll have to see how that turns out.
I would be concerned that this would just feel like being penalized later for choices you made at chargen.
"Man, taking these spells would be really helpful with how I've been playing my character, but it would be a numerically sub-optimal choice due to decisions I made before I knew what my character was about. drat, I guess I'll take these wolf companions instead or whatever."

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
I've GMed some other AW games (Tremulus and MotW), but I'm new to Dungeon World. One of my players is really set on playing an (improved) fighter that only uses her fists. This is one of the weapons on the playbook's list, so I don't think it's really any problem, but should the lack of reach manifest in any tangible numbers way, like making her do more Defy Danger rolls to get in close? I would think that, if I am being a fan of this player, then it would only come up rarely and only if there's a really interesting reason.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
No need to be an rear end in a top hat about the reach all the time, but there's also no need to reserve it for the big bosses or so.

I mean, throw a goblin with a spear at him, who's difficult to reach with fists, only to have the PC wrest the spear and break it in half. It's not a big deal, the goblin is still a mook, but the fighter got to do something cool and more interesting than simply rolling damage. And get used to that stuff, restricting PCs ability to just roll the damage dice for fictional reasons is like 80% of diffculty scaling in this game.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 18, 2014

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
When my players pick weapons with Hand, I straight up tell them that fighting people with Close or Reach is gonna be quite difficult, but those guys are loving dead if you can get under their guard. Generally this is something like a Defy Danger STR, CON or DEX to get under their guard depending on how they do it, and then just deal damage because you're half a foot away from the guy stabbing him the gently caress up with a shiv while his long spear is no good. For particularly badass enemies you still have to Hack and Slash because they'll dance away, start punching you or pull a shortsword. Having a weapon you can conceal on your person and that isn't a big, bulky thing that can get stuck on things is straight-up useful in a bunch of places as well. It's the tradeoff for needing to close to attack.

Vice versa if the players pick a Reach weapon. Enjoy your ability to Hack and Slash without fear of trading harm for harm on a 7-9 if the enemy have Hand or Close weapons and you're keeping them at bay. If they get in close, drop your weapon or you're loving dead.

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
Was messing around with some monster-as-character ideas and started whipping up The Treant for fun. Not even close to done, but comment/enjoy.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Earlier in the thread I made a post where I was considering trying to make a hack based on the Elder Scrolls series. When you really think about it the only thing you'd really have to do to play an ES game is throw in some lore and make sure everybody is on the same page with losing a little bit of creative freedom (much like some of the other setting hacks I've seen, like Eberron). After sitting down and playing with mechanics for a week or two I decided I'd hack something quick together and see if I could reflect an ES game without emulating the system of an ES game. What I came up with is a mashed together, ugly, and wholly incomplete Frankenstein of Sixth World, AW, DW, and Johnstone Metzger's Class Warfare. I got some friends together and we ran through a quick scenario.

I had players first pick their race (I gave them a racial passive and racial move), then describe their characters. I told them we'd be starting in the 4th era, a few years before the events of Skyrim (since they were both familiar with that game more than the others, I think).

We ended up with a Breton Vigilant of Stendarr who was raised by Nords and a Dunmer assassin type who could flit in and out of shadows. I asked them to pick their starting province, which they chose as Skyrim. I started them in Riften with this opening: "It's about midnight and you both stand outside the Bee and Barb tavern with a lone guard who carries a torch. It's raining. In front of you, laying in a pool of blood, is a body." I then asked the Dunmer, "Who was she, and why was she important to you?"

After that we found out that she was a friend of his - the only friend he had since coming to Skyrim, actually, since most of the Nords don't like Dunmer. The guard had called them because he knew that she knew the Dunmer. On her body they found a key and note. The note led them into the Bee and Barb where the two Argonians were holding a package for him to be delivered to a very specific man. I asked him what was in the package when he unwrapped it, and he said it was a small, magically painted picture on a square stone. It was of the murdered lady and an older man. The note made it seem like she was in trouble, so they decided to go check out her house.

She lived in Honeyside, right down the street (now we know why it was for sale!). They go in and look for clues: Dunmer rolls a 10+, Breton rolls an 8. The dunmer finds finds a false bottom in a dresser. In this hiding place is the badge of the Penitus Oculatus. The Breton finds that everything has been packed up in a hurry, almost like she was getting ready to leave. Then, they hear a noise below the floorboards.

As they go into the cellar to investigate they find that someone has been recently enchanting something down here. The Dunmer uses some magic to determine that it was a dagger (they saw a light blue, glowy outline of the thing). The Vigilant of Stendarr Breton notices it's Daedric. About that time someone runs for the stairs, but the Dunmer walks into the shadows with his sword out and up to the top of the stairs, effectively letting the runner impale himself. It's a Khajiit wearing all black and a crimson handprint on his jerkin.

After this they ended up hiring a carriage to Shor's Stone (after investigating more and finding out that the portrait was painted there). They fought through some bandits in Fort Greenwall and almost got their butts handed to them by some Frostbite spiders in the dungeon. They eventually made it and that's where we had to end.

Overall I thought it was very fun and I think my players liked it.

Postmortem: I originally thought that taking away some creativity by using a very established world would be unfun, but this wasn't so bad. I found that you can actually achieve some cool effects by referencing stuff that players might have seen in a game, like Honeyside. Basically it was a big experiment.

I did have some mechanics for Magicka and Stamina in place, but we didn't really use them. Players chose their class through the Class Warfare book. What I've done since that playtest is give Magicka and Stamina some uses in game and for moves. Since factions are such a big part of the ES series I was also pondering ways to use that in game. Does Eberron have a faction system of some sort?

Anyway, I thought I'd share. I know at least one of my players is a member here so maybe he can drop in and give his take of it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What custom move did you write for using CHIM?

e; vv that is a correct answer.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 18, 2014

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What custom move did you write for using CHIM?

We stopped to order pizza.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I dunno how you would feel about hacking in a mechanic from yet another system, but have you thought about adapting 13th Age's Icons for the various factions?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

I really like 13th Age's Icon system and that's a really good idea. The way 13th Age does it is already more narrative than mechanical, and it fits well with DW's 10+, 7-9, 6- mechanic. I'm going to mess around with it a bit tonight. It would also be cool to just give a big list of factions from all eras of Tamriel's history and have players pick the ones they want involved, then allot their points.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

wrl posted:

Was messing around with some monster-as-character ideas and started whipping up The Treant for fun. Not even close to done, but comment/enjoy.

When you think treat you've got to think big and nothing in the playbook makes me feel like I am using a character that is any bigger than any other race. Make sure to emphasize your size in your moves, you'll want to make the players feel Like They Are Huge When They Play A treant. You should check out the playbook for Giant by madadric in the OP, it is pretty effective at throwing the character's weight around, I was going to play one, a bridge troll, but because it feels so big, I opted for a smaller character and played a 10 foot tall Brute.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I've been getting into Dungeon World lately and I was also thinking about some monster character ideas, and because I have a lot of free time I made a complete playbook. I wrote all the moves but I'm only uploading a sample that's missing some because that seems to be what you do when you want to sell it. I think it's pretty neat and I would like to sell it. Because lots of free time also means broke. I'll just put it up whole for better criticism. I can kill the link later and hopefully somebody will still give me sandwich money.

I made an Ogre. What do you think? I tried to stick to a few themes with the moves: Monsterous, Killing, Eating, and Smashing.

Ogre

I'm making a Drivethru RPG account now to see about selling it. Any advice?

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 19, 2014

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

wrl posted:

I am far from an expert, so take my comments with a grain of salt (also I agree with Teonis about the size issue)...

I wonder if you might want to consider breaking out of the alignment mode and doing something with drives or motivations. You may not even have to change the actual text, just name the motivations something like 'Nurturer/Preserver/Avenger' (for instance, eliminating a threat to the forest hardly seems like an evil motivation for a tree... I am not even certain what an evil tree would look like).

The Sequoia power is a little bland compared to the others -- without changing the specifics of the move, I think it would be better as something like 'When you are able to bring the full might of your massive branches to bear roll d10 instead of d8 for damage.'

Wild Magic seems a little too general -- I realize that you will probably change the language -- but a broad multi-use magic doesn't really seem to fit the fiction either of LoTR style Ents or D&D style Treants. In both cases, I would really consider incorporating the idea of Treants as 'tree-shepherds' and give them a suite of powers involving animating trees or smaller bits of nature. For instance, (and this is a quick stab at this) you might consider a basic move like:

'Sing to the Trees -- When you awaken the forest by singing in the molasses-slow language of old-Treant, you animate the surrounding trees, roll +WIS. On a 10+ choose 2, on a 7-9 choose 1.
-- The trees are completely obedient to your commands
-- The trees pull out their roots and are able to move about independently
-- You are able to wake them up relatively quickly

Another option, for more general use (I fear that this playbook would be difficult to use in a dungeon focused game) might be to change the power above and make it 'wild growths of nature' rather than trees. A 1-5 move then might be the ability make wild and natural things grow or wither at a ridiculous rate which could have some fun uses for clever players.

My big suggestion is that, although your mechanics are sound, the playbook doesn't yet really consider the fiction prominently enough (probably it would as you fill the moves in). With that being said, the fiction is the stuff that gets people excited about using the playbook. I think this is what Teonis is pushing towards when he says that you aren't really taking advantage of the 'being a huge tree' part of being a Treant. Likewise, I would also suggest taking more advantage of the tree part.

Playing with the idea, I come up with a list of things that I think of when I think of trees or treants and then see about making moves based on that. Maybe this will help you out as you develop more moves? The quick sketch of my list would be something like...
Roots
Moves/Talks really slowly
Things nesting in the branches of trees
Sheltering branches

I would then use each of those things and incorporate them like so...
Roots -- First, make a move 'When you take the time to shoot your roots into the ground, anchoring yourself in place, you are unable to be moved from the spot by any force other than fire.' You could also then create a series of moves that say things like 'When rooted...and defending all companion within the long reach of your branches' you no longer have to spend hold to redirect attacks to yourself.

Moves/Talks really slowly -- Not a move in and of itself but a frequent condition for 7-9 on a move should be 'Doesn't take a long time to do it' (or, if stated positively 'does it in a reasonable amount of time'. I might also give a spout lore move like 'Not a hasty Language':When you Spout Lore about natural subjects and relate your findings with all the urgency of an old tree's growth, you may consult not just your own knowledge but anything that the local flora and fauna might know as well (although the trees and the grass are concerned with very different things than man).

Things nesting in the branches of trees -- Maybe this move could help you mitigate some of the problems of being freaking huge and to assist the party in non-strength tasks. 'When you call upon the small things nesting in your boughs to attend to matters too small or too fast for you to easily handle, roll +WIS. On a hit, they are able to perform the task as well as you would expect squirrels and birds to do but on a 10+ choose 2, on a 7-9 choose 1.
--They can handle more complicated instructions than you would expect for such small creatures
--They don't cause any problems or distractions while performing the task
--They are willing to put themselves into danger

Sheltering branches -- Although I have already used this one above, I also really like the idea of a move like this 'When you put down your roots into soil and your companions make camp under the calming shelter of your branches, so long as they do not make a fire they wake up particularly well rested and may heal an addition d8 HP.'

Anyway, that was a lot of words, but feel free to steal or ignore anything I have said. I definitely think that this is a cool idea and I am eager to see where you end up with it.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I've been getting into Dungeon World lately and I was also thinking about some monster character ideas, and because I have a lot of free time I made a complete playbook. I wrote all the moves but I'm only uploading a sample that's missing some because that seems to be what you do when you want to sell it. I think it's pretty neat and I would like to sell it. Because lots of free time also means broke.

I made an Ogre. What do you think? I tried to stick to a few themes with the moves: Monsterous, Killing, Eating, and Smashing.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7655B1076021F2B5!467&authkey=!ADmZVD7g0Fr_DiQ&ithint=file%2c.pdf

I'm making a Drivethru RPG account now to see about selling it. Any advice?

Pretty hard to give good criticism, I can't really see the class in the preview! It doesn't feel like the class has that much it can do: break is cool, but the rest are pretty passive. I'd like to see a greater emphasis on the crush move: what can it do when trying to crush enemies but only half succeeds?

For reference, I made The Brute, which explicitly caters to ogres (and was pretty much built with them in mind). Here's what I made:

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
By Crush move do you mean Break Your Bones? It works on a 12+ Hack and Slash. When you half-crush an enemy you just deal damage.

Maybe I should just reveal more moves, or instead of revealing some moves of each I should follow one theme, like the eating theme? Or I could quit being a dick and reveal all the moves so I can get good criticism. I just wish I had money.

Yeah, there's some overlap with the Brute. I swear I didn't copy it, but a few of the moves are very similar in theme but work different mechanically. I like some of the weird body stuff in my Ogre, and the two bottom moves are my favorite. Here, I'll upload the complete document and then when I want to put it up for sale I'll just kill the link, early folks giving me criticism can get it for free.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 19, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Or I could quit being a dick and reveal all the moves so I can get good criticism. I just wish I had money.

I'm not sure what these two elements have to do with each other. Posting work in progress for criticism has never stopped anyone from selling their class. Posting the finished class for free hasn't stopped anyone either. :v:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

I figured I'd keep you guys posted:

We did the second session with The Gallant last night, and ran it with the "previous Valor clears when you next use Valiance." It seemed to play great. He was still able to do everything he wanted with the Valor, including an out-of-combat flash of divine insight, but wasn't enticed to hoard his Valor.

At Androc's suggestion, we'll be going with a slight rewording of the replacement for Perseverance (that I posted earlier in the thread) which allows The Gallant to heal themself.

It looks like we'll have a finalized playbook for the OP in the next day or two. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 19, 2014

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Mr. Prokosch, keep in mind that the rules being available for free hasn't stopped most of the folks in this thread from buying Dungeon World. :)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Okay, yes, I understand. I have already bowed to the wisdom of the thread. The full thing has been up since about 30 minutes after I first made the post. :)

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

The Gallant is complete! Here's the playbook for everyone to enjoy as thanks for all of the helpful feedback. Feel free to add the link to the OP.

The Gallant Playbook (v1.3):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B16XBQ0EsPvTZVAzTTdHZmViM3c/edit?usp=sharing

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Overemotional Robot posted:

Earlier in the thread I made a post where I was considering trying to make a hack based on the Elder Scrolls series.

Man that's awesome. I've considered doing the same but I know I don't have the chops to come up with kirkbride-esque esoteric metaphysical weirdness on the fly.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Man that's awesome. I've considered doing the same but I know I don't have the chops to come up with kirkbride-esque esoteric metaphysical weirdness on the fly.

Well, I'm not really good at Kirkbride's specific type of weirdness either, but I've played every game and spend a lot of time reading lore (because I have no life). I find that what helps is knowing a few things about each town, and about each race's culture. I peppered my own NPCs all over and if you set it at the right time period you've got a blank slate to do whatever you want. I think the next playtest I run for it will be a little bit before or after the events of Oblivion. Maybe during!

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Whatever happened to the guy who was going to do a Redshirt playbook?

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Indolence.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I dunno, I thought I saw it kicking around somewhere, but it might have been called something else.

Androc fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 10, 2017

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.
So I might've gone through Trigun a few nights ago, and I wanted to see if there was design space for a class that didn't have a damage die. I came up with a pacifist fighter, something active, something energetic, that hopefully also doesn't hamstring the rest of the party the way 3.5's Vow of Nonviolence/Vow of Peace tended to.

I've got something of a rough draft, and there are some good ideas in there, but I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with advances. Is this concept just too broad?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ao9c0g7nwc30e1y/The_Peacemaker.pdf

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

First draft, feedback requested-

The Red Shirt
Name: Speedy, Hawk, Monroe, Welshie, Ricky, Boone, Hudson, Poncho, Mac, Matthews, Biggs, Dingus, Dingus Plus, 24.

Look:

HP: 2 + CON Mod (special)

Species:

Damage: d6

Drives:
1. To survive certain doom.
2. To be remembered as someone important.
3. To do the master’s bidding, whatever the cost.

Background:

Faceless Goon: There’s always more where that came from. Every time you Die, you can opt to have the exact same character next time around.

Cannon Fodder: When you throw yourself in harm’s way for no good reason, everyone nearby takes +1 forward on their next Defy Danger roll.

Special Guest Star: You won’t be coming back from this one! You only get to Die once, so make it good! Take 3 advanced moves when starting out, and take 2+CON starting HP (instead of CON Mod)

Bonds (choose only one):

I would take a bullet for ________. And probably will.
In the likely event that I don’t make it, _______ will tell my next of kin.
________ thinks I’m useless, but I’ll prove my greatness!

Core Moves:

Nothing Special: When you start a new session, write down a new name, drive and bond. You won't survive to see level 2, but don’t worry, you’ll accumulate advanced moves a different way…

Pointless Death: When you Die, the player you’ve chosen for your bond must immediately give your death meaning. They can swear vengeance, recite a touching eulogy, loot your bloody corpse, fight futilely to revive you, or whatever. When they do so, they mark an extra XP at the end of the session.

Immediately choose a new name, a new drive, and new advanced moves. Mark a bond for a new player. If you resolved your drive before or during this death, you may select an additional advanced move, adding to the amount that accumulates through deaths.

When the fiction allows, you’re back in the game!

Sacrificial Lamb: When everyone leaves you to your doom, your bond cannot give your death meaning, but you can pick a different background in addition to the other choices.

Optional Starting Move:

Mob: The good news: there are 3 of you. You can be 3 places at once! All 3 have the same stats, background, drive, and moves. Each one has a different bond. If you resolved your drive before or during any deaths, you may select an additional Advanced Move. The bad news: When all 3 of you Die, that’s it for you this session.

Advanced Moves

The Worf Effect: Everyone knows you’re the tough guy, so when you get your rear end kicked by anything, you may choose to make that enemy a “powerful enemy” for the purposes of marking xp at the end of the session. Only one “powerful enemy” may exist at any given time, and this xp can only be marked once per session.

He’s Dead, Jim: When you die “offscreen” or separate from everyone else, the first one to find your body can give your death meaning, in addition to your bond.

Plot Armor: You always have 2 armor, until you decide that you don’t.

Game Over, Man, Game Over: When you see it coming a mile away, roll +WIS. On a 7-9 choose one. On a 10+ choose two.

-You have enough time to warn the others
-It’s not as bad as you thought
-Only you can stop it.

One Day from Retirement: Your age and experience means you get to start with an 18 in one stat of your choice. When you Die, the stat returns to normal and you cannot choose it for this move for the rest of the session.

Cautionary Tale: When you Die a coward’s death, your bond can choose not to give your death meaning, and they may remain your bond next time around. Not wanting to follow your example, they immediately regain all HP.

Last Will and Testament: When you die with something valuable in your inventory, it becomes your bond’s property, indisputably and in perpetuity.

How Bad Does it Look?: When you take damage, your bond can give your death meaning before you actually kick the bucket. Go ahead and make all of your choices as if you had Died, but keep both characters going, until someone puts the poor bastard out of his misery.

Elite Mook: When you should be dead, roll +CON. On a 10+ you can ignore the death and go back to 1 HP. On a 7-9, do that and choose one:
-Take -1 ongoing until you Die again.
-You cannot have a bond with anyone until you Die again, and the bond of your original death cannot mark XP for it.

Eerily Competent: One roll per death, you may roll a single d8 instead of a d6.

It Should Have Been Me: When anyone else in the party dies and you give their death meaning, everyone at the table can mark an extra XP at the end of the session. Except for you. You’re just going to die soon anyways.

Kamikaze: When you would do your damage, roll 2d6 instead. Your target takes the high die and you take the low die.

Mr. Exposition: Once per Death, roll your highest stat, whatever it is, when you Spout Lore.

So, obviously I need a few more moves. Especially ones that are crunchy and mechanical, since I think I have plenty of fruity narrative things going on already. The challenge was coming up with a mechanic that rewarded death without making the player sit out the whole session. By default, there's no limit on how often you can die and come back (besides the fiction). With Mob and Special Guest Star, you can impose limits on yourself- like if you can only make it to half a session, or you drop in late or whatever.

Also, since the playbook revolves around dying, it was tough to think of a way to include meaningful character advancement. Obviously leveling up normally isn't going to work here, so I figured why not let the player accumulate new moves throughout the session? Assuming the player follows his drive and plays a good, doomed redshirt, he should get plenty of options. Plus, his presence rewards the other players who level up normally. Win-win.

I don't see this as a playbook someone should use for a whole long-haul campaign. I see it as kind of the "guest playbook", or something a player could run for a session as a change of pace from their regular character.

I could also use better drives.

Elmo Oxygen fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
You don't have Kenny as a name choice. You should correct this right away.