Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ran my first session of this (first time DMing any system) last week, and it's fantastically fun.

One thing I'm concerned about is that my major moments to push the story forward come from making moves when they roll poorly, which makes it feel like I'm emphasising how bad they are at being adventurers.

The first scene went really well - had them tied up and being interrogated in a hostile city, which lead to a great chaotic fight scene with poorly-aimed spells, throwing chairs, kicking people out of windows - but then it started feeling a bit Benny Hill. Go to gather supplies -> get discovered by authorities -> mad chase through streets -> teleport into sewers -> land on Otyugh etc.

They all had a blast, and I love how DW gives you those moments of "I tried to do [X], but missed, which meant that [terrible thing worse than X] happened, so I had to...." but I'm worried I'm overdoing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Excellent advice, I shall try those techniques tomorrow.

ImpactVector posted:

One thing I notice a lot of new DW GMs do is tell people incorrect information on failed spout lore or discern realities rolls. IMO, a better way to handle that is that you tell them the truth, but make it something they really don't want to hear.

I was going almost obnoxiously terse on failed spout/discern - "it's a genie. looks pissed" - gives a strong signal that I'm planning shenanigans, so they're all on their toes, but doesn't give too much away.

Although my players have already tried to chug mysterious bottles carved with even more mysterious runes, so maybe I should spell things out a bit more for them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I have the reverse problem, the group I'm DMing for has a DnD guy who really really wants initiative. And attack rolls for enemies. (Although that was largely my fault for how I was handling groups of enemies. I've now been treating groups as their own thing, instead of three things, and it's been much better)

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I made a new playbook, The Hexer, which is basically just a Witcher with the serial numbers filed off. I'm pretty proud of the way I handled oils and potions (like spells, prepared on rests and with a new one learned every level), and it comes with a new death move

That's pretty neat, but the serial numbers are very much left on. I do like the oils though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I never said I was good at filing off serial numbers :shrug: Glad you like it though!

One of my players is using The Slayer that forums user Boing and I made, also broadly based on the Witcher, and I really want to slam The Hexer moves into that

One of the things we struggled with was the preparation side of witchering, and our bodge of Readiness never felt very satisfying, so the oils and potions would be a pretty sweet substitute for that.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 17, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ShineDog posted:

Any bender style playbooks? I've got some players looking to be kind of water and earth bender type characters in a game starting shortly.

There's the Channeler from Grim World - you pick an element and various tags (blast, area, hazard, wall) to do poo poo like flaming armour, ice puddles, rock walls. It's great fun.

And on a 7-9 one of the DM options is to have the spell go off as normal, but change the element to whatever the hell you like. With hilarious results.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know this is from a few days ago, but you can get the Elementalist as part of this PWYW deal: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/129989/Johnstones-Dungeon-World-Character-Classes

I think I'd recommend The Channeler over The Elementalist. The Elementalist seems overly detailed in having to keep track of all the commands, but weirdly vague as to how you actually do stuff with it. To me it looks like a simple "I throw a fireball" needs both the Create and Move commands, plus the advanced move to make it actually do a sensible amount of damage. I much prefer The Channeler's approach of choosing a pair of tags that describe the effects of the spell. It also gives you a basic move that's explicitly "you can do minor cool poo poo with your element", something that I don't think needs the level of detail The Elementalist has.

My Witch player got a bit tired of just shooting spells at people, so I let her change to The Channeler - there was a 6 month gap between campaign chapters where she turned into a swan and went on a spirit quest to the south pole, and traded away her eye for mystical knowledge. So now she has an elemental portal under her eyepatch.

I was expecting her to shoot ice beams or fire balls. Instead, she graphically described how she slowly and painfully pulled a giant spear of ice out of her eye socket and stabbed a dude with it :black101:

She also set her broom stick on fire and hurled it into shark infested waters. My players are not good at thinking ahead.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There's Fellowship which is essentially a simplified version of DW. It condenses the stats down and just uses modifiers. It also does away with hit-points - you take damage to one of your stats, and once all stats are damaged you're out. Works the same way with enemies - a giant spider would have stats like "Climbs on walls, Spits Poison, Spins Webs" and you'd have to take out each stat in turn to defeat them. Was quite cool in giving you the feel of systematically overcoming your enemies' abilities, but I did kind of miss being able to straight up stab a dude.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I really like the Dashing Hero, except for the Lover in Every Port move. Because whenever you enter a civilised area, barring any sort of sudden emergency, the plot pauses and the game becomes about the Dashing Hero for a while.

I've been able to work them into the plot so far ("ahhh it's your old-flame, the trader in magic weapons and plot relevant artefacts") but the nature of the move means it's primarily the Hero who gets to respond and make decisions.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Arkanomen posted:

There already is a "witcher" type class that's about hunting monsters, taking trophies and getting abilities from those. Think it's called monster hunter or something?

I'm fairly certain you're thinking of the same class The Slayer (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B94zELwEwdHsR3JTX1Vaek1FeHc/edit?pli=1) that Boing and I wrote. I think it tries to be too many different things - It's potion chugging witchers, it's mutated half-demons (notice how none of the moves tie into this), it's blue mages who collect sackfuls of severed limbs, but as long as your player has an idea of how they want to play then it's pretty solid. I've been very lucky, my slayer player just instantly got Dungeon World combat, and was doing all the cool dirty fighting and creative maiming right out of the gate.

The Bestiary Knowledge and Exorcist moves are pretty great for building the world, especially if your players have an appropriate sense for the mystical.

Grisly Trophies is my favourite move (even though its the least Witchery) because it's a way of introducing new toys and equipment to the team without the ball-ache of sending them shopping. Also I really love scribbling little moves on flash cards for my players.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sanzuo posted:

I'd love to hear or read a play-by-play of a dungeon world session. I feel like I'm missing something crucial in how it is run. I tried running a game for my players and maybe my style is poo poo but they couldn't get into it. They don't have roleplaying background but they have played some D&D and video games. They said they just preferred their game to be crunchy and like to play with meta stats and get treasure and so on. I felt like the narrative style wasn't clicking with them, and whenever I'd ask "what do you do" they'd usually just look at their sheet and resort to hack and slash until they'd win.

I feel like dungeon world could be great but all of these extra materials and core rules don't help much. I think I'd understand better if I heard a session of people actually playing and enjoying the game. I think I understand the concepts but I'm just not able to apply them.

Could be I'm just bad at improvisation. I've run D&D successfully for years, but I usually do a lot of story and world prep ready to go. Dungeon world seems to discourage this.

The trick I find is to always give them something to react to, something that can't just be solved by hacking at it.

"The ogre rips the tree out of the ground and hurls it at your head, what do you do?"
"The birdman grabs your sword and flies out of reach, what do you do?"
"The giant picks up your halfling buddy and hurls him at your head, what do you do?"
"The 20 foot tusked sea-hippos are charging your wizard, he'll be squished into a fine pulp - how are you gonna save your mate?"
"Whilst your party Head is trying to head off the Head of the Giants, the Giant Head pulls off his giant head and hurls it at your party Head's head - what do you do?"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

This is my favorite part of dw. Throwing a problem at the players that the can't just straight murder and having no idea how they will beat it. My favorite was I put them up against a time golem when they were exploring a wizards tower. Couldn't hack and slash it since it could see a few seconds into the future and knew what your attack was going to be.

How did they beat it?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What are some fun things I can do with missing limbs? My Dashing Hero player got his arm sliced off last game (he stuck it through an illusory fish wizard and would have died if our blind necromancer hadn't cut it off with a shovel) and I'm not sure how to balance giving him some consequences while still being fun.

He wants to use a multiclass move to take an Artificer move and build a robot arm, but I can't see how the moves allow that without fudging the Gadgets a lot.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That's a good shout gnome, I'll suggest that next session and give 'em a quest to travel to the Land of Clockwork Arm Manufacturers.

Whybird posted:

Yeah, if a character has an artificial arm or whatever you can just bear it in mind whenever you struggle for inspiration on a 6- or a Defy Danger 7-9.

He has something like 8 intelligence, I'm going to need a lot of ideas for malfunctions.

Part of his Last Breath deal was that Death claimed his arm for himself, so his robot arm will almost certainly become haunted.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

We've just started a game where a friend is playing a suit of armour full of spiders using the golem.

Do they get to play normally or do you force them into an Everyone is John type situation?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ShineDog posted:

In this case, the bard writes in a book with magic ink and kind of nudges the truth.

In that case his handwriting is really bad.

"he stops bleeding from the hoe in his leg"
*gets entangled in gardening tools*

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Would it be appropriate to replace Reveal and Unwelcome Truth with Reveal a Target to be Actually a Ghost in this case?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

DW seems particularly sensitive to the number of players you have. When I had a huge cast it was really hard to keep track of everyone, and it kind of devolved into "oh i dodge, oh i dodge again and attack". When I have only 2 or 3 players its a lot easier to handle the fictional positioning, and I have fights that are much more brawly and messy in that way that DW handles really well.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PupsOfWar posted:

hello, lads, ladettes, and binary-nonconforming chums

my group is getting ready to wrap up our yearlong DW campaign and is looking to start up a new one this summer.

This campaign we ran with pretty much just the basic Koebel/Letorra rules, but for the next one we are looking to hack some things and add some homebrew to spice things up.

Specifically what I am looking at right now is changing the damage model (which the book sorta encourages people to try).

I don't care about "balance", but I do care about fun and satisfaction. Using the damage model in the base game, it is easy to roll spectacularly well on your actual Hack & Slash or Volley move, then roll a 1 or 2 on your damage die, effectively wiping out that good result. We have had this happen in streaks during our current campaign. This, of course, is because damage is just a flat single-die roll without any sort of normal or near-normal distribution around the average.

It's not as big of a deal for fighters or paladins since, if they pursue certain moves, they end up rolling a whole fistful of dice in addition to the damage die. But it does matter for the playbooks that have fewer options for improving their damage.

Ideas we have floated for replacing the base damage die roll:

- Roll 2d6+STR for damage.

- Roll base damage die twice, keep the higher result.

- Keep base damage mechanics, but buff weapons significantly.

- Just make damage a flat number (probably the average value of the current damage die) rather than a die roll, like in every other PBtA game

- Change the Hack & Slash and Volley rules so that they can do other things besides damage (Currently, Defend and Called Shot feel more satisfying to trigger than Hack & Slash or Volley, I think mostly because they offer choices).

Does anyone here have any experience changing the damage mechanics? Tips?

I had the reverse problem, where I would undercook my damage numbers slightly, and end up barely chipping away at any of my players health, especially once armour got involved. And it always felt noticeable (and petty) if I was then piling on some narrative effect as well:
"I'm gonna try and roll out the way of all those arrows" *rolls a 3*
"okay your pack is too cumbersome and slows your dodge, the arrows turn you into a pincushion, take d6 +3 damage"
"with my armour, I take 1 damage"

I did chew over the idea of having armour as a stat that you roll like the others, instead of subtracting from damage. It would give an alternative to defy danger and would feel a lot more active than faffing about with damage rolls that end up not doing anything.
"what do you do about the giant hail of arrows coming towards you?"
"i'm wearing full plate and have a shield the size of car, I don't give a poo poo" *rolls to not give a poo poo*

It's specifically DD with Dex that I struggle with - it's so easy to interpret it as a straight up dodge roll, and it becomes kind of a one-note move.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I like the idea of dealing with spells the same way that Blades in the Sark deals with gear and preparedness - you have X amount of slots or weight, and you can fill those as you need them by declaring what you have during play. In this case, you wouldn’t really prepare specific spells - just spell slots.

Every game should steel Blades in the Dark's gear system for anything even remotely resembling an inventory. Gear, spells, potions, caravans, knowledge, childhood friends, remaining limbs/digits.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I think I'm a bit of an outlier in that I'd like to see a DW that leans a bit more tactical in its combat. It's a phenomenal system for setpieces and running (as in moving) fights, but when it comes to a pitched-rumble it felt a bit lacking. I was never really satisfied with any of my boss-fights.

It wouldn't need to go anywhere near actual crunchy combat, an extension of the weapon tags with something like Fellowships monster tags would be enough. Something that gives a bit more structure to the combat so the DM doesn't have to wing it so much for enemy behaviour.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Glazius posted:

The Dashing Hero is good, if you lean that way.

My problem with Dashing Hero is that the names on some of the moves feel like they should be the other way around, and my Dashing Hero player would constantly try and use the daring plan for any combination of actions. Running over and hitting someone isn't a plan!

The Channeler is pretty cool for big flashy spells and creative environmental stuff.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Digital Osmosis posted:

My players all went with the weirdest loving playbooks and I love it. The Spy is probably the most normal, and then we have The Golem (from inverse world,) The Beast (a giant talking eagle), The Drider, and The Hoard. Conceptually The Hoard is my favorite, and although the rules are a little weird they basically work. Not elegant, but pulling off the idea of the playbook, and since the idea is so goddamn strange that's impressive. The Golem is pretty great, as are most of the inverse world classes. I like The Beast a lot too, it's kind of mechanically a halfway between The Ranger and The Druid - you get Druid style "monster moves" and a lot of Ranger style wilderness stuff.

No one picked it, and so I have no idea how it works in play, but there's always been a special place in my heart for The Mastermind, which is a playbook that basically lets you play Moriarty or Dr. Who.

The playbook is amazing, but I am so sad to learn that this is a typo.

BRB, just hacking the playbook so I can play as a giant pile of gold.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

You could probably just mash together The Golem and The Horde and take a few of The Mastermind moves to represent bribery and stuff and I'm not even sure if I'm joking

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

madadric posted:

In addition to this, say that instead of treating it like the "combat game" and "everything else game" when stuff gets dangerous and violent think of it as an action scene instead of a tense sneaking scene or trap dismantling scene. There might be a fight in an action scene, but also an environmental hazard like a burning building or crumbling cavern. Creating situations with a few layers of threat or mystery or challenge can help break the players out of tactical minis mode.

All DW players and DMs should be required to watch the Indiana Jones movies before they're allowed to play.

And probably the Brendan Fraser version of The Mummy, just to be safe.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Overemotional Robot posted:

Is there a prophecy type move in any playbook? Something where someone sleeps and gets a dream or anything like that?

Star Mage has one where they get to read the stars and get a prophecy from the GM.

I think of it as the "force the DM to live with the consequences of their improv" move. First time he pulled it on me I mumbled a hasty "oh uh...the priest...Brian the Blessed...he uh...wants to destroy magic" and then had to bullshit some conspiracy for them to investigate that ended up being the bulk of the next 6 sessions.

The Templar from GrimWorld also has retroactive prophetic dreams - I think it's just one reroll per day due to dream messages from their deity, which is pretty hilarious when their god sends them warnings about runaway carts or dodgy roof tiles.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sea Lily posted:

Yeah I've read that over twice and it helps me understand the game as a whole but I feel like I'm missing something about the nitty gritty bits like moment to moment GM moves and handling shifting the focus around in combat

Spin it like an action movie - you cut to a player, they do one badass thing, which could be one move (decapitating the Duke de Pomme Frite) or could be a couple (freeing the Lady E'Clair from her restraints, swinging across with her to the pirate ship and kicking the captain into the sea) and then move to the next.

Also don't be afraid to split the party - being able to interject a "meanwhile..." Is a great way to keep the tension high, but also gives you a bit of breathing space to figure out what to do next.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GaistHeidegger posted:

So one of my groups is back to the Dungeon World saddle and having fun with that again--we've once more run into something that was an issue for us back when we last played a couple of years ago, though. In this case, it is with the fun Star Mage playbook--but effectively what it amounts to is the individual playing the star mage basically takes the 'I have a hammer (folding space) and everything is a nail (try to fold space to solve everything)'

This generally results in some awkwardness when we're trying to figure out how to mechanically resolve what they're doing in the fiction (i.e. everything from 'You're falling -> I open a fold to land on a ledge instead' to 'You've got a dinosaur charging at you -> I open a fold to redirect its charge into the tar pit' to 'You see he's about to get those delicious bananas before you -> I open a fold to take all the bananas first.')

Fiction-wise, this is all fine--but it's sussing out the resolution that has us perplexed, as it's the same situation we had with the grim world channeler playbook previously: on its face, you're either solving everything with the same roll (e.g. it universally falls under channel / fold space) or you're solving things by referencing the character's ability to do thing (channel / fold space) but with different rolls (roll plus dex to fold space fast enough, roll plus str to tear through the veneer of reality, etc.)

What are we supposed to be doing with this?

Tangential aside, the star mage had not actually declared what their 'unusual weapon' was until the heat of the moment when the gang was traversing a jungle and being attacked by a predatory plant camouflaging itself with alluring bananas--and when prompted to describe their weapon, blurted out that it was 'sharp meat' and sent the table down a Cronenberg rabbit hole. :gonk:

Best part of the Star Mage is it's prophecy/read the stars power.

When you force the DM to bullshit next session's plot....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Teonis posted:

Question: I’m getting back into DW and was wondering. Is anyone aware of or has made moves for sailing and traveling via ship?

Boing posted:

Some more progress:

I also want to add a Make Port move, to supplement the players' Make Camp move, where you can repair half the ship's damage if you spend a day moored near land, and all the ship's damage if you're in a proper harbour)

I'm happier with Batten Down the Hatches this way, and it ties into the Jury Rigging advance, but right now Anchors Aweigh is pretty awkward, because "you have to stop for provisions" doesn't mesh with provisions being an actual Ration-like item that you have. I'm also not sure about making the players choose between danger and slow-going - how does the move look with just those two options? Should there be a third one? Should it be 'choose only on a 7-9', or the GM always choosing?

Should Scurvy Dogs be more general? Boarding action is pretty specific and is restricted to the pirate lifestyle, and you probably want a move for having your crew deal with fighting sea monsters or whatever.

e: Also, thoughts on replacing all instances of 'Your ship' with 'You', i.e., 'You are fearsomely bedecked with cannons'? Too weird, or just right?