Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
I have finished a working draft of a Necromancer class:

quote:

Power is easy, as long as you can pay the price. And for this kind of power, you’ve long been comfortable with the price. It’s not like those other magicks the mages practice... it’s faster, easier, stronger... it gives you power now, not later, and without all that dreary studying. You’ve traded your good name for control over the power of death and undeath, you’ve traded your friends for the embrace of the moon, and you’ve traded your love of life for the cold embrace of Death Incarnate. Power is easy, because you’ve paid the price. The only trick is knowing what to do with all that power...

I was hoping you all would be good enough to give me your opinions. What works, what doesn't?

Also, Gnome7, could you put the Hardened Convict in the class post? Comments are welcome on this class too. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
Good catch! Yeah, I need to reference the class kits to make that work better. I don't have my book with me, but I'll adjust those options a little tonight.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
You guys are great! Thank you so much for your feedback on the Necromancer!

That Rough Beast posted:

I'd tweak the verbiage on the 10+ result for Thrall Seeker so it reads "The thrall executes your instructions to the best of its ability." If it just "attempts" it, it sounds more like a 7-9 result. I get what you're going for, just a minor quibble.
Good catch. I like your wording better, as it does suggest more what I was going for.

That Rough Beast posted:

It may be me, but I don't understand Lend Me Your Strength very well - the triggers are pretty wordy and esoteric. Plus, it's problematic that you can screw an ally over with this but can't use it on an enemy - does it require the consent of the target? If so, make that explicit. Plus, how big is it? What is it intended to do? Why does breaking it kind of gently caress you up even if you roll a 10+? It just reads as a kind of weird power to me, and not really iconic to the Necromancer. All things to consider, though you may have already.

I went back and forth on this one. The idea is that the Necromancer can use the life energy of his allies or himself to protect/shield things, but I never really got it to work or sound like I wanted. I think I'm taking this one back to the drawing board and making it more like a healing skill where the Necromancer can trade life between allies:

Lend Me Your Strength... posted:

When you take the life force of a nearby willing ally and transfer it to another nearby creature, you may transfer hit points from the willing ally to the creature. This cannot reduce an ally to 0 hit points. The transfer leaves the willing ally shaken; they take a -1 ongoing until sunrise or sunset.

That Rough Beast posted:

The Good and Neutral alignment moves seem like they should be switched to me.
Agreed. Switched.

That Rough Beast posted:

Phylactery is cool conceptually, definitely keep it in some form. That said, I'm struggling to figure it out. You're a thrall? So you give a three word command to yourself? Do you have to roll +Con to do anything? Can you get revived from an undead state?
I made this simpler - you now just become undead and gain some advantage from that (don't have to eat, breathe, or sleep and can keep fighting), and use CON for all your rolls. So it is a bit of a power up, but the trick is that if you die while undead, you die for good. Any hit point gain or healing will eliminate your undead status.

That Rough Beast posted:

When your class damage is d4, Corpse Explosion is a pretty useful, but not broken ability. If someone takes it with multiclass dabbler, it can be a hell of a lot more powerful. You might consider just making it a flat d4, and perhaps include a move to upgrade it later.
Great point. I hadn't thought about multiclassing at all. I changed this to a flat d4 to each creature in the blast.

quote:

Bloodhound has an unclear trigger. How far away does it work? What do you have to do to "channel necrotic energy"?
I tried to simplify this. Basically, I want the necromancer to be able to track something by getting the signature of the life energy from the blood and being able to track the creature that shed it. Does this make it easier to parse?:
When you track a creature by using its blood, the blood will point towards the creature like a compass.

That Rough Beast posted:

I'm really not fond of the choices on Healer's Poison or From the Brink which allow you to choose to do damage to an ally. It's one thing if the GM does it, it's kind of a dick move if the player constantly is. So, either you'll do it and people will be annoyed, or you won't do it, in which case, why have it? If it's going to be there, make it the GM's choice.
I'd not thought of how a disruptive player might take advantage of this and make trouble for others, so I went ahead and eliminated consequences for other players like that.

That Rough Beast posted:

Possession has a very unclear trigger. Crossing the streams is kind of a mess too. With both of these moves, I'm not sure exactly how they're triggered or what the fiction should look like. Remember, simplify, simplify.
I traded Possession for an upgrade to the Corpse Explosion damage, and I rewrote Crossing the Stream to make it clearer. Now it requires willing allies.

Crossing the Streams posted:

When you attempt to channel the life forces of yourself and nearby willing allies into a necrotic blast, roll+INT. On a 10+, you do 1d4 damage per willing ally (plus yourself) to a single enemy you can see and you and each ally take 1 damage. On a 7-9, you still successfully target the enemy, but you and each ally take 3 damage. On a miss, the blast is successful, but you and each ally take 4 damage and are thrown back in a blast of necrotic energy.

That Rough Beast posted:

Death Knell seems really good and potentially overpowered to me.
I tried to downgrade this one a bit.

Death Knell posted:

When you focus all your necrotic energy into draining the energy of a single target, roll+INT. On a 10, choose 2. These effects last as long as you concentrate your necrotic energy and end immediately when your concentration is broken. You cannot move or take any other actions while concentrating your death knell. On a 7-9, choose 1.

*The target takes an extra 1d4 damage from every successful attack.
*The target is weakened, the DM tells you how.
*The target becomes confused and disoriented, lashing out madly.
On a miss, you suffer from one of the DM’s choosing until sunrise or sunset.

That Rough Beast posted:

Death is a Disease needs to be re-written. There are no turns in Dungeon World.
Right you are! Jeez, that's a silly mistake...

Death is a Disease posted:

Death is a Disease
When you touch a living creature to infect it with withering necrotic energy, the creature begins to age rapidly, slowing it down. The affected creature deals half damage. If the creature dies while still afflicted, it collapses into a cloud of dust. Anyone who inhales the cloud of dust within a few moments of the creature’s death also suffers the effects of the disease. The disease can be cured with an hour’s rest under the moonlight and a mouthful of holy water.

That Rough Beast posted:

I Bring a Mighty Bounty, My Liege is another move that needs a more elegant trigger. Like, try this instead: "When you deliberately shatter your phylactery..." The earlier issues with Phylactery also apply to this move.
Agreed. I love the change because it allows for a 'heroic' sacrifice type deal. I also made the damage dice 2d4.

djw175, Benly, and sentrygun posted:

Ideas and advice on how to fix the equipment section
Thank you for your help here; I made a few equipment changes that seem to make it line up better with other casters.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help with this. Here is the Necromancer v2.0. As before, any comments or questions are welcome!

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

sentrygun posted:

The robe's not supposed to weigh anything because unless the player gets really creative it's not worth anything. It's an exchange to not have any weight instead of taking armor and weight.

Gotcha. Removed the weight there.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
There are also print+PDF copies available at Indie Press Revolution: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18774&cat=0&featured=Y

quote:

This package includes the entire game in both portrait and landscape PDFs as well as .mobi and .epub files compatable with the Kindle and other ereaders.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
The book by itself is the same price, so if you get it from Indie Press, you might as well get the Print+Play and get a print copy and the other files. You never know when they might come in handy.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Tollymain posted:

TombsGrave I really like the ideas of the Fury and the Poultergeist, can't wait to see them!

Also, I cannot think of any way to improve my as yet un-named CC, so I'm taking suggestions for the name. I thought of something like Fateweaver or Talewalker, but does anybody have something a little less nounverb-y?
A few thoughts:

The Fury
The Fated
The Master of Strings
The Weaver
The Traveler
The Seer
The Spinner
The Norn
The Chanced

Edit:
Dur, that one wouldn't work based on TG's Fury. Mea culpa:
The Ordained
The Inevitable
The Constance
The Balance

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 6, 2013

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Fenarisk posted:

Yo Shamblercrow, one of my players today really wants to play the convict, is it cool if I make it into the playbook format and post it up here with credit to you?

Yes, absolutely!

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Boing posted:

I'm not so sure about the Favoured Enemy mechanic in Heretics. It pretty much makes you gimped for most of the campaign unless the GM tailors it to your specific character - which is more likely to happen in DW than in other systems, but it's still more restricting than the open-ended class system should be really.

Opening up that aspect of the class might make it more broadly applicable:

Fanatic
When an enemy breaks or rejects the tenets of your faith, you may declare them a Heretic of your faith.

That opens up the choices a little bit more and allows the character to play nice with party members and regular civilizations. It would be a very cool thing for you to provide a list of names and domains (mix and match) to fit the style of the game, as it would decrease the drag to getting started with the playbook. It would also be boss to include a few tenets or commandments upon which a Zealot might hang their faith:

All Must Refrain from taking ________'s Name in Vain
The Messengers of ________ Must Humble Themselves Before Women
Beggars are Holy, Their Suffering Redeems Us
None Shall Harm a Child, Upon Pain of Death

A good tenet would be something that sometimes puts them in conflict with social norms, and gives the player choices to make.

Another thought: It seems like many of the class features hang on the idea of trying to declare other creatures and NPC heretics, but there doesn't seem to be a fictional constraint on doing so. Maybe by opening up the ability to declare heretics, you can adjust some of the moves to show social consequences to these actions, as currently, being a Heretic is only a disadvantage in combat. There are about 10 moves that give combat advantages against Heretics. There are only a couple that do anything socially.

Ideas for social moves/advantages: starting a cult/inquisition, converting, preaching, temp boost to CHA (suffused with holy fervor?), parley against multiple targets (mass conversion?), converting a town and gaining social standing... and so on.

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 10, 2013

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
It might be beyond the scope of current discussion, but multi-class moves seem like they add a nice level of complexity for system experts, without unacceptably increasing the difficulty for beginners. The playbook as it is really reduces the friction that keeps new players from getting started in the game. Most of the playbooks have lists of options and choices for anything the player might need to start; everything they need to play the game is on their move sheets and their playbook. Once players have the basic moves down and understand how the playbook is organized and structured, they can experience the breadth of the system by just switching playbooks. As a player, you never have to reference anything else. It's a wonderfully modular and streamlined system in that way.

Multi-class moves in this system are the next step of that modularity in that they make each move a separate block. I think the real advantage of moves like Worldly as opposed to basic Multiclass Dabbler is that they reduce the amount of material the player can access and therefore decrease the amount of decision making for the player. The only tricky thing is that to a new player, Worldly is going to require them to look at the other playbooks that aren't in use. They won't have heard other players using or referring to those moves, because those classes aren't at the table. It increases the cognitive load for those players, but in an acceptable way, because multiclass options don't pop up until level two, when the player has already gained a little experience.

Fenarisk posted:

Yo Shamblercrow, got somethin' for ya'

THE CONVICT

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?f9loce988jnqvju

It's a little cramped for my taste but whadya want for 20 minutes in Inkscape. :effort:
:swoon:

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
I've been working on a Shadow Dancer class and it's ready for a second opinion. All comments, critiques, and thoughts are welcome, as always.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

That Rough Beast posted:

I'm addicted to hacking this game/reading hacks about this game, someone help.

We'll help when we figure out the cure (the cure is more Dungeon World).

djw175 posted:

-3 damage seems a bit extreme to me.

Also, the load is so low that if you have a minus STR, you are at your load max just with the stuff you're required to take.

Healing Potions are weightless.

I'm not sure why I'd use Moment of Opportunity. If I'm trying to hack and slash, chances are I'd be happy about a 10+.

I waffled on the damage, but a situational -2 does seem better. These guys are gonna want to be in the dark always.

Fixed the load and weight. I am terrible at equipment, so feel free to correct anything there.

I figured moment of opportunity might be useful as a utility thing, but you're right, you won't often want to forgo the damage. Maybe it could add Shadow Dance to the list of Defend moves?

Moment of Opportunity posted:

When you defend from the shadows, you may use 1 hold to shadow dance as if you had rolled a 10+.

That a little more useful?

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
I really appreciate your thoroughness, TRB. You're a scholar for going through my classes and offering such constructive feedback! New link to changes for the shadow dancer are here.

That Rough Beast posted:

Lost in the Darkness is pretty good, but I find myself wanting to rewrite it to change the dynamic a bit. I could see you taking or leaving this.

Lost in the Darkness
When you attempt to steal an object from within a shadow you can see, roll +Dex. On a 10+, you get the object without incident. On a 7-9, choose two:
-You don't make any noise
-No one will notice it's missing for a while
-You don't damage the object
On a miss, you still get the object, but your theft has been detected.
I really like your version. I'll add it if you don't mind.

quote:

I'd tweak the alignment moves a bit. Chaotic as it stands seems more evil and pretty specific. Maybe, "Chaotic: Steal something important without considering the consequences." If you want an Evil Shadow Dancer, maybe "Evil: Steal an item someone else needs."
I added your Chaotic alignment. In general, I wanted to avoid the Evil alignment.

quote:

I agree that Moment of Opportunity seems kind of weird. If you're Defending something, fictionally it doesn't make sense to use that hold to move away from the thing you're defending to me, it looks like you would be exposing that thing to harm. If that's working as intended though, that's fine.
I imagined the Shadow Dancer as a character that is concerned with mobility and grace, and who would look for the best opportunities to accomplish their goals. Forgoing damage didn't seem like a very attractive option, but I'm satisfied that sometimes a shadow dancer who is defending something might use the option to freely dance while in combat without wanting to trigger the consequences of the regular Shadow Dance move. I could especially see the SD moving away with the last hold in order to gain better positioning.

quote:

Well of Shadows seems more like a +Int than a +Wis to me. Dex is already your primary and you have several moves using +Int. A +Wis move like this probably isn't getting used often since I'm guessing the average Shadow Dancer will have a pretty crap Wis. If you're intending to create a +Wis branch of moves and a +Int branch of moves, that's cool, but it's way unbalanced in the favor of Int right now.

Similarly, Right Through Me seems like it should be +Dex instead of +Int.
You are quite right. This was an artifact of an earlier draft where I'd had a DEX/WIS split, but that didn't feel quite right, so I moved to DEX/INT. It seemed to fit the theme of the class a little better. I think with Right Through Me, I was trying to be clever and ensure a tough decision between maximizing INT and DEX, but I outsmarted myself. DEX is the obviously correct choice here.

quote:

I don't quite understand Silent Shadow's fictional effect.
The idea was that the SD could use it to help the rest of group avoid making noise, or to confuse another group in battle, or any number of things, by making everything silent. Is this more clear?

Silent Shadow posted:

Silent Shadow
While you hold your breath and concentrate, you muffle any sounds originating in shadow or darkness.

quote:

In the Valley of the Shadow is good. Beware of people using it in lieu of Hack and Slash. Cool effect though, so I'm a bit torn. I'd at least consider making it require another move to get, or maybe just double the damage unless you get anything but a 12+. Maybe consider having it build off Hack and Slash somehow?
My hope was that the trigger would be enough to let the DM make the player roll a few times before getting to apply the effect. Considering the mobility of the SD, I'll err on the side of caution and take your suggestion applying the effect with a successful hack and slash, and a good INT roll.

In the Valley of the Shadow posted:

When you mark a living creature with the shadow of death after dealing damage with hack and slash, roll+INT. On a 12+, that creature is marked for death, and any additional damage will be fatal to that creature. On a 10+, the creature takes double damage until it spends an hour basking in sunlight. On a 7-9, you and the creature receive double damage until you spend an hour in the sun. You may only apply this power to one creature at a time.

quote:

The Penumbra power has you rolling +Con, but then doesn't have that result do anything. It also seems pretty powerful, but maybe that's me.
The CON was a mistake. Also, yeah, I think this is the most powerful thing in the class by far. I intended the damage to be pretty punishing as a handicap, allowing the SD to make only a few moves before they expire. If I reduce the area of effect, does that make it more palatable?

quote:

I think you need a move that works when the Shadow Dancer is in absolute darkness. Or wait - do the powers of the Shadow Dancer only work when there's both darkness and light? Address this somewhere, it's sure to come up.
I added a rider to Creature of the Night to allow power usage in the absolute dark. Does that make it mandatory? If so, I might add a note that says that Shadow Dancer of level 5 and up automatically gain Creature of the Night, kind of as a prestige class/paragon path thing.

Should I still add a brief move description to the basic moves about shadow? Actually, I think I definitely should. I'll do that. I've added it to the description of In Your Element

quote:

Also, you could possibly add a move that lets the Shadow Dancer be able to target someone's shadow instead of them for the purpose of hack and slash/volley/whatever.
That's a great idea! Added this:

Shadowplay posted:

You can target the shadow of an enemy with hack and slash rolls. Damage dealt to the shadow is applied to the enemy. You may still take damage as usual on a 7-9 or 6-, the DM will tell you how.

Again, thanks for the great feedback! (You too, djw175!)

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

sentrygun posted:

Feels more like a thing that would fit a Compendium Class, but I don't think anything of the sort exists at the moment in either form. There's definitely enough to the idea to make a Compendium Class out of it, though, complete with the prereq being "be exposed to some pretty awful science things".
Spitballing for kicks:

When you are exposed to some pretty awful scientific experiments, you may take the following move during your next advance:

Beside Myself
When you lose control of your emotions, roll+CON. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two. On a 6-, choose one. You transform into a hideous creature of pure ID. When you take a violent action, you heal 1d4+1 hit points. You must also immediately spend hold 1-for-1 for any of the following benefits:

*You become hideously ugly- mortal creatures flee on sight and you cannot be identified.
*You grow monstrous musculature- you take +1 to feats of strength.
*You gain reptile cunning and claws - when you deal damage, add 1d6.
*Your muscles grow lean and wiry, you can move quicker than a mongoose and take +1 to any acts of violence.
*You do not lose your human inhibitions- you can choose which creatures to attack and do not have to attack the nearest creature.

You return to your normal state when you are reduced to zero hit points or after a night of violent excess and crime- the DM tells you where you wake up.

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 11, 2013

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Overemotional Robot posted:

Going to teach and run my very first game of DW tomorrow night and am kind of nervous about messing it up. Any tips from vets in here? I've read the ones in the OP and that's generally stuff I'd do anyway. Should I just make a really bare-bones scenario and just let the gameplay lead us in the story from there? I'm excited, but I don't want to screw up GMing this and have them hate the system or something.

I'd make sure to have plenty of basic moves sheets available for all the players, so that they can look at their options when necessary, and to have duplicate copies of the playbooks, or bookmarks in the physical book at the playbooks, for yourself. I found it useful to reference the player's options when they made moves so I didn't have to ask them what it meant when they rolled an 8 on bend bars, for instance.

I'd also have some notecards or a place to write down notes, because early on, the players are going to be telling you a lot of details, and you're going to want to capture that detail so that you can use it during this session and beyond. Between asking questions at my first session, I was basically writing like a madman. I also created a little relationship map for the five person party, writing the character names in large letter with the player names below (corresponding to the player's position at the table), and used some colored pens to kind of map how the characters felt about each other and what their goals were. If you can make the basic skeleton of something like that to begin with, you'll be golden.

Also, prepping some fabulous treasures, in the style of those Jason Morningstar convention adventures, is always useful. You don't even necessarily have to give the players the cards - just give them the descriptions and have them write them on their sheets. I've found this useful because treasure is the one element of the adventures that never seems to be quite as organic as the other things, especially fabulous, useful, and downright weird or unexpected treasure.

edit..

I'm surprised that the Morningstar adventures aren't in the OP!
The Temple of Ungu and The Slave-Pit of Drazhu are both intended to be two-hour adventures for conventions, with brand new players. The treasure in these things is wonderful, and it can give you a reasonable idea of what kind of prep might be useful.

Seriously, how can you not love this:

quote:

Ungu’s Venom
A glass vial of black, sticky poison taken ages ago from the dead fangs of Ungu.
The very best thing would be to throw it in some chasm, for it will bring only
pain and trouble.

Seriously, what are you doing with this?

Get rid of it, it can only profit evil.

Why are you putting it in your pocket?

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 12, 2013

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Tollymain posted:

Right now my core concepts are "slave-turned revolutionary", "body-warping", and "stolen things/magic/skills".
A bunch of musings:
These are your core concepts, so now let's think about what these look like and how a character with them would act. We want to guide the character back to these concepts and come up with thematic elements that give them an emotional underpinning and logic. We want to give players looking at the play book an immediate sense of what the character is. While I like the different flavors of captors as races, it leads to thematic clashing with some of the advances. I might make these the alternative starting moves: if you were taken by the fae, this is what you get. Then you can pack advances for each "origin" in the advanced moves list as moves with prerequisites. You could get really crazy and even include a full list of weird and wild captors and advances as an analogue to the wizards spell list, giving a ton a variability through advanced move trees while keeping the basic moves captor agnostic.

Slave turned revolutionary:
This seems like a great hook for the social aspect of the class. How does this character influence people? What are they fighting against and how do they achieve it?
Sample moves:
When you tell allies about a specific enemy tactic, they take +1 forward when acting on your advice.

When you warn citizens of impending invasion, roll+CHA. On a 10+, they take the necessary precautions, the town becomes a veritable stronghold, while innocents flee. On a 7-9, the town is uncertain about your story; some prepare but others ignore your tales. On a 6-, the town disregards your warning and you must live with your failure.

Body-Warping:
Physical and utility... You can make a lot of interesting things happen here, physically and mentally too. This is where I would go crazy with racial prerequisites. What would a fae captive do that an ithilid captive wouldn't and vice versa? There are a lot of monster style powers you could play with here, maybe by using a basic move to establish a humanity move similar to the Druids shapeshifter with a different set of consequences dealing with the problem of using An enemy's tools against them.

Stolen resources
These sound like starting gear and maybe the basis of racial moves. When you use a fae cantrip to trick an enemy, roll+WIS.... On a miss, the Queen of Autumn looks your way.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

TheLawinator posted:

So, I'm running my first demo game! What character sheets should I bring? I'm probably just going to improv some kind of adventure, but do you guys like any demo scenarios a lot?

Here are some premade adventures for demos from the DW website: http://www.dungeon-world.com/category/bonus/adventures/
And here are some experiences related to one of those adventures, Drazhu's Slave Pit.

And another, the TEMPLE OF UNGU.

One Page Dungeons are great sources of inspiration as well. I believe the Minotaur adventure was created for the one page dungeon contest at some point. Just checked, yes, the 2011 contest.

Take the basic character sheet and any other sheets you are relatively familiar with - you want to be able to create opportunities for the characters to demonstrate their strengths throughout the adventure. If you create an adventure that depends heavily on magic and sneaking, the fighter might get a little frustrated without an opportune bar to bend or gate to lift. Create opening questions for any class you bring, in the style of Slave Pits or Temple of Ungu - a way to tie each character into the end game in a compelling way. You can do this organically based on the characters that get played at the table, but since you're running what amounts to a one-shot, you can pre-plan at least that much so you can spend your game time coming up with the other fantastic details and twisting what you have.

If I were going to improvise the adventure, I'd look at these adventures and get a feel for what helps a game come together - names for everything, details in environments, motivations for characters, and always driving the players towards the finale (assuming they are going that way). It also helps if you can put the players in the middle of some action. Don't start them in the middle of the town, start them running towards the entrance to a dungeon, with something nasty chasing them. Start things active and then feel out your players' pace, and apply pressure with the Hard Moves when necessary.

Last note, the treasure cards in the adventures are money - players love getting them, and they love having the choice of either treasure on a card. Being able to physically hand the characters a treasure card is a great tactile experience at the table. If you want to come up with stuff on the fly, fold notecards in half and write a gold/gem/wealth amount on one side and then put whatever magical heart seeking sword, unbreakable wand, or helmet of blinding rage on the other. Good luck!

An additional thought - if you are planning on running multiple demos, you really should have a scenario partially planned out, because then every session is kind of like a poem, or like a jazz performance. Each player brings something different and you end up in vastly different places and each encounter has new context and new life. It's kind of amazing to see, and worth a bit of pre-planning.

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 19, 2013

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm thinking of writing up some adventures for DW, are there any good free ones I can peak at to get an idea of what other people are doing on that end?

Here are some premade adventures for demos from the DW website: http://www.dungeon-world.com/category/bonus/adventures/

The adventures as presented leave a whole ton up to the imagination and direction of the players and DM while providing a world of rich detail and plot hooks. I really wish there were a book of just these kinds of one shot adventures.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

The Supreme Court posted:

You shouldn't have too long to wait...

I have never in my life been more excited to hear details from The Supreme Court.

Has anyone heard anything regarding Grim Portents Issue 2? I think Chris Sakkas, the guy who organized it, had begun collecting submissions for Issue 3, but I could def see life getting in the way of a far flung effort like that. For the uninitiated, Grim Portents is a Dungeon World fanzine, first issue available here: http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2013/04/06/download-grim-portents-issue-1-here-submissions-open-for-issue-2-theme-the-wine-dark-sea/

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

TheLawinator posted:

So, I'm running some more one-shot sessions, and I'm wondering how you guys come up with monster stats on the fly. Moves and such I'm fine with, but how do you balance health and damage?

If I feel the need to use hit points, I usually give mooks 4 hit points, leaders 8, and tough dudes 12. Sometimes I use a two hit rule: it takes two damage to subdue an enemy unless the player does something in the fiction that would clearly kill them. As for damage, I start with a d6 and move up as appropriate or add a static modifier. I usually have three or four players, so I have a rough idea of what kind of armor/damage the players have without asking, so I can tune the fights to that.

Sometimes I prepare monster blocks in advance, taking expressions, health, and armor from another monster and using that. If you wanted to be really prepared, you could make a print a table with a dozen monsters of increasing difficulty and just record the math bits so you can work with numbers more accurately on the fly: "Oh, these are tougher than orcs, but not quite ogres, so its gonna be 9 HP, 1 Armor, 1d4+1d6 damage."

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
I wrote an adventure called The Crawling Menace. It's about giant insects trying to summon weird gods to our world. Suggestions are welcome about how to punch it up and what else would be required for the average person to be able to run it.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
Thanks for the feedback! I added a group of impressions, a list of questions at the beginning, and did some minor editing throughout. It may just be my group, but I often find that my players like different types of questions, so I tried to include a group of world building questions and a group of character driven questions; enough that a GM could decide which ones were most appropriate for their group. I also agree that this is much more Grim World than Dungeon World. I tried to capture the feel of the very weird and slightly unsettling style Conan stories, swords and sorcery. I think I'll probably try something a little more down to earth next time.

For your consideration: The Crawling Menace v2.0.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
I created a bunch of magical and mundane items for use in a Dungeon World adventure, formated as split magic cards. The idea is that when you hand out treasure, the player chooses one side and either folds the card over or tears off the one they desire. There are 24 cards, or 48 items, enough to last for a good while. I'm sure they could use some improvement, and I also took a few items from Jason Morningstar's adventures, but I also figured it could be useful for anyone thinking of running a game and looking for some quick loot.

Here's a sample:

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What do you do when you are a ranged weapon user? Just keep taking -1d6 damage with your last arrow?

Remember that it's not just -1d6 damage... the choice you make off the list MEANS something in the fiction. Maybe you're taking careful aim so that you won't break this arrow. The choices you make should drive the fiction and the fiction should drive your choices.

Running out of ammo? You still have a ton of choices:
  • Run into melee. It doesn't affect your proficiency or damage.
  • Use improvised ammo. Ever fired an antler on a crossbow? How about a goblin-tooth dagger?
  • Recover your spent ammo from the environment (putting yourself into danger).
  • Find some other way to affect the battle - taunt enemies, set up a flank, distract others, etc
You are not your stats and you are not your weapon. You are a character, and you can TRY anything you want.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Also we had a short in-game period of time to save to world, so part of the tension was running out of rations before we made it to the end of the mission. What is to stop you from getting normal equipment, then spending the rest of your money on rations up to your carry load? How many rations do players typically carry?

Or do you not bother keeping track of things like rations and ammo?

My group tracks ammo, but not rations. This is typically because we don't find it interesting to think about the food, but we're also typically not that far from being able to get fresh food at any point. If it was ever going to be a story element, something that was going to drive the players to make hard choices that illustrated their character, then yeah, I'd make them settle up before we left civilization. Work with the DM to figure out where the tension is coming from. If the group as a whole doesn't find ration tracking interesting, maybe you could hand wave it.

A good rule of fun is that you should only track something if it is making your game more interesting for everyone. Track ammo if the lack of ammo will lead to interesting choices (we find it always does). Track food if the lack of food things interesting (we find it doesn't always). Heck, some groups don't like tracking experience points. Tailor the game to fit your group.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
A friend of mine had asked me to do some adaptation for pirate crew moves, so I wrote up some general purpose stuff that uses the crew as a resource for the players to try interesting things. I made some little progress, but had never gotten to the point of figuring out how you win these battles other than fictional maneuvering. In any case, this stuff is all available for anyone who finds it useful:

Form a pirate crew!
When looking for crew, roll 1d6+CHA for each player. This number is the number of willing souls to join you crew - and the total of all players is the limit of the men and women you can lead. This total does not take into account the players.

ex:
Adam rolls a 4+1 CHA mod (5)
Beverly rolls a 2+2 CHA mod (4)
Chase rolls a 6+0 CHA mod (6)
The group’s final crew manifest can be 15 members total, plus the three players.

This crew is your family! They live with you, drink with you, and by the gods, they’ll probably die with you too - but you’re family until the end. Use the roster builder to name your crew and give each one a characteristic.
If a crew member takes a wound, they are out of the fight. If you lead a crew member with a wound, they become a casualty after the move resolves.
If a crew member becomes a casualty, they are dead or dying. At the end of a battle, any casualty goes to Davy Jones’ Locker permanently - don’t .erase them from the manifest, cross their names out and pour out a drink for them, and add new crew to the bottom of the list when you find ‘em.

Lead your crew in huge fights!
YOU CAN ONLY USE THESE MOVES WHILE YOU ARE LEADING CREW!!!
If you single out the opposing forces’ toughest fighter for one on one combat, roll+STR. On a 10+, that fighter engages with only you, on equal terms. On a 9-7, that fighter immediately surprises you and gets a tactical advantage, the DM will tell you how.

If you lead a hit and run operation with your crew, roll+DEX. On 10+, you and your crew take out a large group of scallywags, and only take 1d6 wounds. On a 7-9, you and your crew take out a small group of scallywags, but your crew takes 1d6 wounds and 1d4 casualties as well.

If you wade into battle, ignore your injuries and counting on your crew to protect you, roll+CON. On a 10+, you roll a 1d6+2 and use that as your armor for the rest of the battle. On a 7-9, you roll a 1d4 and use that for your armor. If you take any damage above your new armor, a crew member takes the wound for you instead and immediately becomes a casualty. You ignore any other armor bonuses you have for the duration of the battle. Whatever you rolled, after the battle, you need immediate medical attention, or at least a flagon of ale.

If you describe and lead a strategic gambit that will risk a few (1d6) crew members, roll+INT. On a 10+, the gambit succeeds and the crew survives. On a 7-9, the crew members become casualties, but the gambit only partially succeeded. Your enemy might wiggle loose still!

If you attempt to cut off crew from danger, roll+WIS. On a 10+, you are able to redirect a danger from injured crew - remove two wounds from injured crew members and one casualty recovers. On a 7-9, you are only able to protect one crewmember - either remove one wound from a crew member, or heal a casualty. Then any other crew member with a wound becomes a casualty.

If you rally injured crew to return to battle, roll+CHA. On a 10+, you rouse the wounded and almost dead crew - remove wounds from 1d6+2 crew members. On a 7-9, you rouse some crew, but others abandon your cause - reduce your crew roster by 2 and remove wounds from 1d6 crew members.

OTHER MOVES

Order crew to do dangerous things!
If you order a crew member to do something dangerous, roll+CHA. On a 10+, the crew member completes the task and barely escapes with their lives. On a 7-9, the crew member advances the task but does not finish it, and becomes entangled in the danger. On a miss, the crew member confronts or distracts the danger, and the task becomes much more difficult.

Take a chance to even the odds!
When you know the stakes are dire and you can’t afford to fail, choose a crew member and explain how they can help you accomplish whatever you want to do. Then roll 2d6. On a 10+, the crew member takes a wound helping you, but you can add +2 ongoing to achieve your goal. On a 7-9, take a +1 to your next roll, but your crew member dies giving you the chance.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
I might include the GM hooks in the move, similar to the way the Wizard's ritual move is set up. It could be hard to come up with consequences on the fly for certain types of purchases and if there aren't listed consequences, players may not appreciate the GM adding their own strings to the deal.

So money isn't the problem, it's that it will take too long, it will involve more credit than you thought, it will involve dealing with shady folks, and so on. The issue with the move as written is that those hooks, the fiction, isn't there, it's just implied. Just guarantee that they get what they want, and the money is no object, which seems to be the jist of the move.

Maybe just leave the money amount out of it completely:
You can purchase any mundane items or services, but the GM will choose 2-4 of the options from the list below.

Looking at your description, you could have hooks like:
    You need to help 'persuade' _____ to give up the items.
    It will take days, weeks, or months, unless you _____.
    The local underground/union/cops/_____ are going to notice your extravagant purchases.
    The local mob boss appreciates your spending, and sends you a short note.
    Your money makes this area unstable economically, you'll need to wait a while before you pump more money into it, but you could probably barter.
    You get a special gift among your items, but it's a trojan horse.

And so on, in that vein. Give them exactly what they want, but attach a non-monetary price.

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 8, 2013

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Overemotional Robot posted:

I have been digging back in the thread and I can't find this specific adventure starter that I have been looking for. I even helped give feedback on it but it's nowhere in my Google Drive. It was an adventure where there were giant insects building a spire to some eldritch god. Anybody remember that?

Here it is!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nCIS3_BTMlnDJLiNhCNXskshBNIbaVTh6KDrrNkBuuQ/edit?usp=docslist_api

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

NuclearPotato posted:

the fact that I wasn't asking enough questions didn't help either

With new players, you need to be asking questions almost constantly, especially when you're not sure what the players are trying to do. You said:

NuclearPotato posted:

For some reason, the Mage wanted to trigger the mosaic and turn it into an old, naked person (The specific reason for the old naked fellow was that he took the Abyss focus, and all his spells had to be horrifying. He figured old naked dudes did the trick).

Without knowing what the player wanted to do and why they wanted to do it, you'll have a very hard time using GM moves in a way that makes sense. You should be establishing a back and forth with your players, and when you don't know what your players are doing, you need to call a time out and focus in and really dig for the player motivations, especially when they are as weird as this one sounds. Ask questions until you understand exactly what is going on, what they intend to do, and why they want to do it. This is worth spending time on and will improve your sessions.

As for the player constantly failing, that can lead to some of the most fun moments in a DW game, but you need to set the stakes in the right place. It sounds like many of your hard choices for the player involved damage on one side. That's fine and well, especially if it leads directly out of the fiction, but if you overuse that spice, it can seem a little punishing, especially when it feels like a non-option, like when a player with low health can take damage or take time. They end up taking time and they end up not driving toward any fiction other than, I twiddle my thumbs.

One thing I always tell my players is that I will never lie to them if they do a Spout Lore check. I'd rather give them nothing than start the meta-game express, which will begin the next time your players roll 6- on a Spout Lore and immediately disregard the information you give them. Instead, I usually use the opportunity to use the GM move Reveal an unwelcome truth. I might say something like, 'Gibbering Mouthers grow when they eat', and then start having the thing immediately eat a bird or a rat and start growing.

As for the Mage's attempt at repairing the armor, remember that a result of 7-9 is fundamentally a success. You want to give the player that success, but add complication, or something that may make their lives harder later. You didn't specify the conditions under which the fighter would take damage with the spiky armor, and your treatment of that ruling will help set the tone of your game: are you going to punish attempting cool stuff, or encourage cool stuff and drive the game forward? I guess I'm not seeing the upside here, unless you intend to give the player the full benefits of spiky armor and hit him with the consequences only occasionally. I might give the fighter a new move to go with the armor, but it might be tricky to get that right.

If you're having trouble explaining the rules, just default to this: "10+ is a success, 7-9 is a partial success, 6- is a miss. Try anything you like, if your character is capable of it. We'll go from there. If you have a question, please ask." I usually go through some examples with new players, using moves from their playbooks to help them contextualize the way fiction drives the game. Think about the fiction of the game and make sure everything comes out of that. You're having a conversation with the players about what is happening. You talk, they talk, you talk, they talk. If they are talking to each other, let them go. If they ask you a question, answer it. If you ask them questions, focus on the person who you are talking to. Don't give in to side talk. Always end your sentences with "What do you do?".

As a final piece of advice, when you're running the game, keep the GM Agenda, Principles, and Moves close at hand. Before you make a ruling, take a second and review them. Make sure you are pushing the game forward by giving the players an exciting world. If you set the tone, your players will meet you halfway.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Cephas posted:

Does anyone else have this problem? Are the sort of questions I'm asking too vague?

Tailor your questions to your group- if they have trouble with open ended questions, ask them short, pointed questions that they have to answer.

So lead them with questions that suggest a more targeted answer but are functionally the same: "you can't help but notice the old man in the corner - why is your eye drawn to him?" Or even more pointed "the man's behavior seems odd... And you can't look away. What is he doing?"

You can tailor your questions to fit the tone and you can make assumptions the players need to follow through with. Assert some facts to lead the player when you encounter that strange monster: "you recognize this beast - you've been hunting this one for a while - why?"

Think about how your questions can inspire the players! Don't make the questions too open ended - limitations breed creativity. Start your questions before the session begins by asking about how players relate to each other - "what's the most annoying thing he does?" "Your bond says you hate him - what do you find most agreeable about him?" "She saved your bacon last time - how does that make you feel?" Your player's emotions can be just as fruitful for setting creation and role play as the places they go.

Some questions are not good setting questions. Think of questions like "what is the town called?" Or "what is his name?" These are the sorts of things that put people on the spot and are so enormously loaded that I've seen players refuse to answer. There's a reason you find all these name generators online.

That's why questions like asking about the tone of a place you've just got to are hard. Ask about details: "this town smells funny, but you think you recognize the source - what is it?" "Most of the laborers in this town dress the same, wearing clothes you recognize. They have the same profession as your father - what is it?"

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
I wrote a Shadow Dancer class that might fit:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iRxeUFj9ete1gDsHs3cQ-7lbreRTrF3T_AVW4qvBZbk/edit?usp=sharing

quote:

STARTING MOVES
You start with these moves:

In Your Element
As a shadow dancer, you have an affinity with the shadows cast by light. All of your powers work when you are in shadow. When there is no light present, you are not considered to be in shadow. Additionally, when you attack from the shadows, deal +1 damage. When you attack while bathed in light, natural or otherwise, deal -1 damage (minimum 1).

Shadow Dance
When you are under duress and dance from one shadow to another shadow you can see, roll+DEX. On a 10+, you shift to the other shadow in an instant, ready to act immediately. On a 7-9, choose two. On a 6-, choose one and the DM shows you how dangerous a dance in the dark can be:
    You shift to the shadow you intended.
    You shift to the shadow in an instant.
    You shift to the shadow and are not disoriented.
If you are not under duress, you can dance between shadows you can see freely.

Lost in the Dark
When you steal a distant object from within a shadow you can see, roll+DEX. On a 10+, you get the object without incident. On a 7-9, choose two:
    You don't make any noise
    No one will notice it's missing for a while
    You don't damage the object
On a miss, you still get the object, but your theft has been detected.

Eavesdropper
When you gather information in a place where many people meet and share indiscretions, you can roll+DEX for Discern Realities, and add the following questions to the list:
    What are the people in this area worried about?
    What strange events have happened nearby?
    What secret did this person let slip?
    What are the dominant factions in the area?