Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Why do the good scanlations for part 4 and 5 stop about 3/4ths of the way through? It's a real bummer.

(It is okay to talk about scans past part 3 in here right? Since there's no English release?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's no way they wouldn't do Part 3 at least with it being the most popular arc. Anything after that would depend on how popular the anime is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So is it ever explained who it was in Part 4 that saved Josuke as a child and inspired his hairstyle? I figured it was going to be some time travel shenanigans and have it be Josuke himself but Araki seems to have forgotten all about that plot point.

I've only read partway through Part 5 though, so maybe it gets explained further on.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He looked exactly like Josuke though, was even wearing a school uniform.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

onepixeljumpman posted:

I think we've made the gag before that Part 9 will have a dimension hopping, time traveling JoJo who goes back to that day and tries to blend in by adopting what he thinks is the local fashion. Then he ends up saving a sick baby in the snow. Then he time warps to 1989 Egypt and has to sell his school uniform and an extra he picked up to a street vendor to get by.

It'll be called "JoJo's Part 9: Battle of Steel Lions in the Stardust Ocean of Golden Diamonds."

And then he travels to the 19th century and settles down, changing his last name to Joestar after his ancestor.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just finished Vento Aureo. That was easily my least favourite ending of the arcs so far. Arrow turns Giorno's stand into a one-hit kill, extra mini-arc out of nowhere, and then abrupt ending with no epilogue. On the other hand, turtle-Polnareff.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Part 6 has some real weird and bullshit stands. Invisible zombies, Feng shui, really?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 11, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ok the Jailhouse Rock segment is pretty great. Araki definitely watched Memento before he wrote that.

EDIT: And the Bohemian Rhapsody segment. gently caress it, I love part 6.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 11, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
All you need to know is that Pucci created an alternate universe, and Emporio was the only good guy to survive. Other Jojos may or may not be alive.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm gonna go with the stand in part 6 that requires you to commit suicide to work.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isn't it so imbalanced it's basically unplayable competitively?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^^ I read it recently, the translation was fine. The scans and typesetting were what was terrible. Maybe some questionable grammar in spots though.

He's just a really calm and collected Jojo, that's all really. He has some really sick :iceburn:s too.

You could read Part 7 at anytime you want after Part 3 really, it's pretty disconnected from the rest of the parts. You might miss some references but that's about it.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 21, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think that was the translation, I think even Araki got confused how King Crimson worked.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Josuke actually acts like a teenager unlike the other Jojos(except maybe Joseph).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Part 8 has some loving weird stands.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

fatherboxx posted:

had the brutal quality that was present throughout Part 3, where in every fight good guys got quite a lot of severe fractures, holes through every part of body and lost gallons of blood.

Yeah, this seems to be why Araki always has an ally with a healing power after Part 3. Josuke, Gio, Foo Fighters, Gyro's weird zombie horse thread and Hot Pants, ect. Who knows if Part 8 will have one but Joushuu's stand looks like it might be able to be used that way.

EDIT: Gappy used his stand at one point to stop himself from losing blood didn't he? He can't use his ability on himself but maybe he can use it on his blood like Gio.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 22, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shugojin posted:

Errr sorry, part 3. When you're wondering what The World does at first.

The main difference being that The World eventually gets a solid explanation whereas due to bad translation and sheer :wtc: we don't know what the gently caress King Crimson is.

Now that I think of it, when Polnareff and Dio first meet, was he stopping time and physically moving Polnareff down stairs while time was stopped? The thought of that is pretty funny.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is how King Crimson Works.

Diavolo can skip time for up to 10 seconds. During the skipped time everyone would have done what they would have normally done however when the skip ends they will have no memory what happened during the skip. Diavolo can freely move during the skipped time but is incapable of interacting with anything allowing stuff like bullets to go right through him. Once he ends the skipped time he can interact with the world again. He also has epitaph which allows him to see 10 seconds into the future.

Using the future sight and time skip his main tactic is to position himself were his opponent is most vulnerable, end the skip then punch a hole through them with King Crimson's A ranked strength.

He breaks the "can't interact with anything" rule quite a bit though, like splashing blood in people's eyes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

pinegala posted:

Can anyone remind me where the gunfight with multiple dudes in one body is in Part 7? That's probably my favorite one, but I can't remember the stand name.

It's the same arc where Gyro and Johnny have to spend all their money too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schubalts posted:

It's also said in Part 5. Stands are the user exerting power over their own soul. Being pierced by the arrow a second time, grants power over the souls (Stands) of others. This is also kind of backed up by GER cursing Diavolo and Kira's awakened Killer Queen trapping people in a 'loop of fate'.

Kira himself was hit by the arrow though, and the Requiem stands came from the arrow piercing their stand.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If Kira could use Bites the Dust on an ally he'd be pretty much invincible. The harsh restrictions are probably because of that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't know, punching your mom through the stomach before immediately healing her is hard to beat.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
And for those of us who can't read Japanese?

EDIT: My bad, didn't see the small Engrish above the Japanese name.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 18, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I assumed that was because his stand went out of range.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schubalts posted:

Watching this made me realize that a ton of Part 3's Stands are tarot cards.

How did you not realize that before? It's literally a plot point.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kabanaw posted:

It makes about as much sense as everybody from part 4 on agreeing to name their stands after bands, songs, and albums.

And people knowing that their ability is called a stand, or knowing the rules of them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Aurora posted:

Speaking of weird things, how on earth did that Alternate Diego in SBR have a stand, anyway? It didn't seem like other worlds had any stands.

Other worlds had stands, there was just only one Dirty Deeds Done 4 Cheap.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it ever made clear if the memories get passed off too, or is he dying everytime like in The Prestige?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, the "suke" part can be read as "jo".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Broseph Brostar posted:

I dunno what Part 4 you guys were reading, but I'm pretty sure Part 4 was a slice of life comedy about chilling with an alien, conning your friend with said alien, finding hundreds of coupons, and eating magical Italian food.

Everything else was just filler.

I love that Araki never revealed if Mikitaka was actually an alien or not.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Part 5 isn't that bad. Might be the worst of the Jojo arcs but even a bad Jojo arc is better than most manga.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are you guys forgetting Crazy Diamond was just as good(if not better) at punching than Star Platinum?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ArcadePark posted:

Just start from Part 3. Part 1 and 2 can be largely ignored.

Just because they can be skipped doesn't mean they should be. Part 1 is easily the weakest arc, but it gives the origin story of the Jojo's, Dio and the concepts of stone masks/vampires/the ripple. Part 2 is just as good, if not better than the later arcs. It just doesn't have stands.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wasn't there a reprint because of the new anime?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Rhinoceros Beetles are the key to controlling gravity.

Also, out-of-context jojo images are the best thing.

Yes they are

EDIT: No wait, this one's better. Part 6 has some great parts.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 6, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It may be justified pirating but it's still pirating.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Soulcleaver posted:

My only complaint about part 3 is that we hardly get to see any of Joseph's Ripple or Dio's powers like body freezing or Space Ripper Stingy Eyes, all of which would have definitely come in handy on many occasions.

Eh, Joseph's ripple was pretty much useless on anything except vampires so I can understand he didn't use it much. The eyes would have come in handy a lot though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Once they leave Dio's hand they lose the power to move while time is stopped I guess.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Didn't Joseph say something in Part 3 about Stands being an evolution of the Ripple? Or am I making that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

WickedHate posted:

I don't know, it's fishy that both stands ended up being just like Johnathan and Jotaro's. It's like Dio hacked into the Joestar DNA and got Joestar stands.

I'm guessing Araki was originally going to have Dio have ALL of the stands but changed his mind.

• Locked thread