Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Supersonic Shine posted:

I wonder how the anime thread is going to react to Avdol's return. Safe bet is on a mixture of excitement and disappointment.

Why disappointment? I was pumped as gently caress when he came back.

Hypocrisy posted:

I didn't like the Tohth and Khnum battle very much. That's pretty much the only Egypt fight I didn't like though.

I didn't like it much either. It was a decent gag but it got stretched out too much. Hol Horse's attempt to team up with Boingo was executed much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm personally okay with Star Platinum being such bs because it's obvious that he's the one who's going to beat up DIO. All of his fights are really for pumping you up for that fight, and they mix in enough of the other characters fighting the enemy that it doesn't get that tedious. That's not to mention that Jotaro would get wrecked by a bunch of users if Kakyoin wasn't there to be clever.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

Midler and High Priestess are crazy in the Part 3 fighter so yeah High Priestess owns. With Kakyoin and Polnareff's rad handshake too, that's gonna be a fun episode.

I wonder if they're gonna show Midler this time now that she has an actual design or if they're gonna keep with her being a body the crew goes to check on only to see her teeth smashed in.

Even if they show her, we might not see much of her face until the Blu-Ray comes out.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nessus posted:

For all they know, Kakyoin is going to go make the next Jojo with Holly after Jotaro dies, I guess.

Clearly, the cherry bit is just foreshadowing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FirstAidKite posted:

Though Okuyasu was also rad as hell.

I didn't think I'd like him as much as I did when he was first introduced but by the end I think I liked him more than Josuke, which is saying a lot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

jyrque posted:

Merchandise is actually a pretty big source of income for an established manga artist. Buying official figures is one way to support Araki directly.

Who wouldn't want a pink, muscled cat dude on their mantle?

e: oh god i forgot Killer Queen had a golden devil skull for a codpiece

Doesn't this figure also come with a compartment in its chest that has Stray Cat inside?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I'm pretty sure this was in the manga, too. Araki probably thought it was a cool phrase and wanted to use it again.

Edit: I've been reading Steel Ball Run lately. I love how so much of it is just an excuse for him to screw with some of his favorite past ideas. Lost my poo poo when it turned out a saint's split up corpse causes Stands.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 15, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quakster posted:

I retroactively dub it "Don't Worry, Be Happy", and it's got jack poo poo for development potential.

Stranglehold

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quakster posted:

Hmm. Clever, but crude.

Yeah, I'm not a Nugent fan either.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quakster posted:

Ten dollars worth of crazy.

You get way more than ten bucks worth, it's the best deal you can ask for.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My favorite thing about Stands is how, in Stardust Crusaders, Araki lays out this list of rules for Stands and it takes him like a couple Stands for him to go "why did I do that?" and begin breaking them.

Araki has plans for most of his stories but he will change them on a whim and make no effort to explain it, unless he has to throw out some bullshit because people ask the same question too many times. I honestly don't think his answers are any more valid than the fans' for most of the plotholes he leaves in his wake.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kurtofan posted:

poo poo, that makes sense.

He could always just be stealing stuff from dudes who walk by outside, too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LvK posted:

both of these are satisfying explanations for the treadmill

Moving truck.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ninjewtsu posted:

Ultimate Kars vs DIO kinda boils down to "even after being launched into the cold vacuum of space, Kars still can't actually die. So what the hell can DIO even do to him?" Pretty sure Kars wins there.

If DIO was around during Battle Tendency, he probably would have been the one to get the stone. :colbert:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ninjewtsu posted:

^^ And similarly, had Kars been around and kicking during the time of Phantom Blood, Dio would've gotten eaten. I thought we were talking about villains at their end-game

I'm not saying DIO would've walked right up to them and punched them in the face, also who cares I just want to see DIO as a fabulous harpy vampire.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Listen, Jesus Christ was a JoJo and I'm claiming this fact as victory in perpetuity for all JoJos in all conflicts.

He went out like a chump tho.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pomp posted:

I wouldn't call surviving crucifixion for 3 days getting "chumped"

Jotaro would have gotten out.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Butt ghosts are already on a higher tier.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Torquemadras posted:

Finished with Part 5 now. I'll just start with the obvious thing that absolutely everyone will have heard a billion times already:

What the gently caress was up with King Crimson?

I gathered it works like this: King Crimson constantly sees ten seconds into the future, and if he doesn't like what's happening there, he goes "NOPE" and starts evading. However, during those ten seconds, everything else continues as if King Crimson hadn't seen the future... only at the end, King Crimson erases that time so that nobody remembers, and kinda merges himself back into the regular timestream. Meaning he can do whatever he wants while everything happens normally - he stays in the equation, while simultaneously telling the equation to go gently caress itself and doing his own thing.

What I don't get is how he could kill Narancia. Previously, King Crimson only removed himself from the "equation" - he moves just to the exact spot to deliver a devastating surprise attack, he flicks his own blood into people's faces, he deletes the exact time that a bullet spends travelling through his body... Basically exactly like Dio's The World, only much, much better defensively. Goddammit, and just when I thought I understood that Stand! :mad:

It just works.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

My biggest question is why is it so mad. King Crimson is constantly gritting it's teeth. What's bugging ya, dude?

He just doesn't understand how smiling works. :(

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If Stands were totally comprehensible they wouldn't be half as cool.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if Pearl Jam could make someone smarter.

Their brain would probably explode first, though. :stonk:

Pearl Jam is the coolest stand, hands down.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quakster posted:

Highlander with Stands? Yikes. Or since this is JoJo, I guess it would be more like in Heroes.

Or maybe that one video game, where you jump and shoot? I can't remember the name

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quakster posted:

They're not robots.

I agree, they were certainly men of one fashion or another.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Torquemadras posted:

Finished Part 6, now.

To be honest, I kinda disliked Part 5. Giorno was boring as poo poo, his powers didn't make any sense before they eventually settled on just creating small creatures and being the white mage, the tie-in to Part 4 didn't go anywhere, Diavolo was somewhat uninteresting despite his crazy Stand and the multiple personality gimmick, and it felt like there were more inconsistencies and plotholes than normal... Not to mention that the plot took some weird turns, as if the author changed his mind multiple times - the virus fist dude leaves and never plays a part again, the drug business stays in the background despite being such a huge motivator (Diavolo even gets one of several karmic deaths for that one!), the time dude's sacrifice means absolutely nothing since Polnareff immediately contacts the gang afterwards, Giorno's heritage never matters at all, and Trish was a walking wasted opportunity. Of course, it's still great - JoJo craziness, the actual main character Bruno, awesome fights all around, King Crimson, utterly stupid names... And although they're so overpowered they're immediately removed from the story, the Requiem Stands are - in concept - pretty rad.

But Part 6, holy poo poo :stare:

Kira is such a great villain - not to mention the most stylish one, I have to get that tie somewhere -, but Pucci's definitely up there as well. Probably the most hateable villain so far - I loved how he kept going on about fate and "you're actually my allies! :shepface: ". And despite his bizarre hair, he's not even a fashion victim! And maybe it's just me, but the fights felt much more visceral and brutal this time around - I hope we get an animated version of the Westwood fight some day ("GAME SET" :black101:). The Feng Shui dude and the son of DIO with the Underworld power were maybe peak-nonsensical, but other parts were so incredibly stupid and thus rad (subliminal effect through rainbows, WTF) that I didn't mind. Interesting powers all around, really. Also, it had such a great ending. When Pucci came after Emporio in the prison, while ranting about how his newly created universe is going to be - just reading that in comic from actually gave me chills. Again, I hope this gets animated, including the beatdown afterwards. The plot felt much more coherent as well; I got spoiled on the fact that the JoJo dies ages ago, but I was pleased to see that no-one got straight-up punked - everyone somehow played a part in Pucci's ultimate defeat. And weirdly enough, Made in Heaven was actually pretty easy to understand. Huh.

One thing, though. What happened after Pucci got killed? The way I got it, everybody now knows their fate, due to having experienced an entire universe "in spirit" before. Pucci plans on reaching the Kenney Space Center again, but this time he won't speed up time, since he alone can change fate; but everyone still has visions of their fate, so everything's cool forever. But since Pucci screws up and enables Emporio to kill him despite how it's fated, everything will happen now as before, meaning: time will speed up again, and we have another reset...
But somehow, the old gang is back with new identities? So, uh, instead of another reset with Made in Heaven - which should replace Pucci, since he got killed -, we have another fate entirely. Did the universe just have absolutely no idea how to deal with this anymore, or what? Is it just a general "Stand user died, so crazy poo poo happens"? The closest I got to explaining this was that Pucci got punked and his Stand collapsed, destroying fate with it - meaning that something entirely new can happen; a "new" fate. Being killed by Made in Heaven/its previous forms actually brought the gang back in some form and tied them together through fate; except for poor F.F., I guess, because Pucci hadn't fused with Green Baby yet before killing her.
Really, I'm just guessing here. I'm cool with the ending being as ambiguous as it is, though (even Emporio doesn't know what the hell, he just does what everyone wants to see happen to that smug fucker Pucci). Rad as hell.

R.I.P. Jolyne, the most metal of all JoJo's. :911: Looking forward to Part 7!

I'm reading Part 7 and it's my favorite one so far. It kinda feels like part 1, 2, and 3 got smashed together in the wild west.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I remember just staring blankly for a while at dinosaur Dio.

God that was the craziest loving thing. Weird Stands, best Stands.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Angry Walrus posted:

I just finished SBR too. Favorite fight was definitely Hot Pants and DInO vs Funny Valentine. Felt a lot more dynamic than the Johnny and Gyro vs Valentine fight. (Although both were equally hype) That fight alone almost made me wish SBR had been about that pair running the race together instead of Gyro and Johnny.

Not sure what the point of adding in alternate Dio was for other than fanservice. It didn't really move the plot any more forward than it would have gone without alt!Dio and you could have gotten the main points of the Steels locking away the Holy Corpse and Johnny reconciling with his father while still not winning the SBR. Just not a big fan of the fanservice/filler combo. Honestly it detracts from the feeling of finality that the end of the Valentine fight had. Dumb and annoying dragging on.

It's kind of a shame that you can't appreciate him, DIO, for who he, DIO, is.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So I've finished Steel Ball Run and moved onto JoJolion. I was kind of hesitant about alt-Morioh as a concept, since Diamond is Unbreakable might tie with Steel Ball Run for my one true favorite JoJo arc, but so far it's much better than I anticipated. It's certainly a return to form after the much different take of Steel Ball Run. Alt-Kira being dead though, that's disappointing. Who will monologue about jerking off to Mona Lisa's hands, if not him?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The end of Stone Ocean has nothing to do with the new universe unless Araki decides he could do something cool with it, then it was always the case.

Truly Araki's Stand is the most powerful of all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I've been reading on while the anime's taken its break, and wow, Jojo just can't stop getting better, can it?

"The invisible baby...just fell into the river!!"

Invisibaby is great. I'm really glad Really Old Joseph shows up in Diamond is Unbreakable, as well. I also love how Joseph is clearly leaning into the whole senility thing as an excuse for how goofy he always was.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This game seems really fun, but my font is all hosed up during the main game. I got a messed up font on the menu and followed the readme's instructions, but right after my conversation with Steel the font hosed up again. Anyone know what that's about?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tobaccrow posted:

I got that too, but playing Dragon Question on the NES triggered it. I just started a new file.

I'm in Hong Kong (post-Polnareff). I seem pretty over-leveled, then some enemies called "bombs" killed me and Jotaro in just a few turns. Weird.

Oh poo poo, I did the same thing. What a weird bug. Thanks.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Momomo posted:

I've only gotten to play a little bit of the 7th Stand User (got Miracles) but it seems like a nice little game so far. I really love the sprite work, makes me feel like I'm playing Pokemon. My font is all messed up ingame though, and it makes it hard to read. I installed the fonts like the readme said, and that worked for a while, but when I went to the NES to play a game it went back to being bolded again. Anyone know what's up?

That particular game on the NES is bugged. You have to start a new file. I had the same problem, someone in this thread suggested it as a fix, everything worked out great.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I love that Kira hates in-between things and ended up becoming half of someone else.

I'd like it if Josuke ends up discovering a ton of additional things he can do with Soft & Wet like Kira did with Killer Queen back in Part 4.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Much as I love DIO, it's hard to argue that Kira isn't the best.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blockhouse posted:

Most importantly Harvest was the cutest Stand.

It was also strangely powerful. A massive army of tiny Stands which are strong enough in a group to pick people apart, but weak enough alone that fighting the Stand does nothing to the user. Kira was lucky he could hit Shigechi directly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure someone calls out Otoishi on how stupid it is to arrive in person to prevent Joseph from finding him.

I think it was Josuke, actually.

But if it wasn't for that, we wouldn't have seen the guy who attacks by playing power chords. Man, I wish Otoshi had somehow turned into a good guy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Soulcleaver posted:

This taste... it's of a cheater!!

lelo

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Stoph posted:

Where's the manga thread?

Edit: ah, crap, is the anime thread closed?

Yeah, closed for the off-season. Probably for the best, since they tend to devolve into online Stand creators.

Unlike us, who post about what Stand we got in a fan game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ZeroCount posted:

Wow the art gets pretty bad in this chapter.

How do you mean?

Aurain posted:

Beetle Tendency is the best thing.
JoJolion is shaping up to be the best part if it carries on like this.

I am kind of starting to feel bad for Joshuu though.

Eh, Joshuu gets rough treatment from time to time but he's an rear end in a top hat and has done everything to deserve it. I'm sure it won't be long before he reminds you why he gets treated like poo poo.

• Locked thread