Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I started the anime three weeks ago, and now I'm halfway through Diamond is Unbreakable and buying anime avatars.

Araki has ruined me, and stolen my dignity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Oh hey they're also making a live-action Battle Tendency https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl1G-xSe-90

I want a professional wrestling show based on JoJo, in the style of WWE.

Don't change a thing, just make it live theater in a ring.

Edit: get the announcer from the anime to commentate.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm incapable of coming across JoJo slash on the internet, without having a burning in my gut telling me that it's canon.

source - http://raeoffrecord.tumblr.com/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The kid in Part 4 is the biggest beast of them all. "Hey that guy may be a bomb, let me just touch him real quick NBD."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are there actually any complete newer translations? I just found the few volumes that Jojo Project has.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All this talk of OP makes me want a Jojo dota clone.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I actually don't really think that a standard fighter is really the best way to represent Jojo as a game. The way characters fight throughout the series is a lot more varied than you can get across when you have to reduce everything down to a couple of guys punching eachother+supers. I feel like something like Anarchy Reigns, Powerstone or even a moba modeled more after Smite than Dota would allow more room to to show off what makes each fighter unique.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Soulcleaver posted:

Jojo's tabletop RPG. Only the power of imagination could make for a perfect Jojo game.

Would play

scary ghost dog posted:

Bayonetta is really close to a JoJo's game. The way Bayonetta fights I mean. Wicked Weave is basically a stand power.

I was looking around the other day for Jojo-styled art of Bayonetta + Madame Butterfly, and I have no clue why none exists.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brought To You By posted:

Another problem is trying to adapt previous entries in the series to videogame format without sacrificing the things that made the story interesting in the first place. The adventure, fighting, mystery, and character building portions of Jojo are perfect for a game. You have iconic characters and a fairly compelling cast of villains to work with and Stand abilities for the protagonists are usually very interesting. This has been especially true since Part 4 whose stand abilities offer more utility than just punching/stabbing/shooting dudes really hard.

What I'm getting from this is that the best Jojo game will be Shenmue 3, where we find out the mirrors unlock your stand.

edit: I would be all over a Shenmue clone of part 4

Pomp fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 23, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anything in Part 5 top the train arc, or should I just start part 6 now?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Finished Vento Aureo, and I didn't think King Crimson or the ending were confusing. King Crimson mostly is just a poor fit for the medium, I think, and I'm not even sure what part of the ending has been deemed confusing, because it all made sense to me. Was it Diavolo's death and that reality poo poo Requiem went on about? I just assumed it was poor translation, and figured that trippy poo poo Diavolo was dealing with was just Golden Experience's weird loving mind-body desync powered up.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 29, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man, Jotaro is a terrible father.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I ended up skipping part 3 because part 4 was a dates favorite part, and I had kinda already told her I was halfway through it a week before I started. Now it feels so close to the anime starting that I'm avoiding it so I won't be burnt out on it by the time the anime starts.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Happy commercially driven romance day

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How accurate is the Stone Ocean translation, separate from how awkward and stilted it is?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Since it's apparently accurate, but very awkwardly written, I've decided I want to go through the Jojo Project Stone Ocean translation and try to make it sound more natural. I got through volume 2 before I was sick of every other line being something no native english speaking human would ever say. I, however, don't have a god drat clue what the etiquette or expectations are for something like this in the translation scene. Is this an out of the question taboo, even with full credit given to the original translation?

Either way, I've gone ahead and did a sort of quick (I've used GIMP once ever before, this actually took two hours) and very dirty edit of the first couple of pages.

edit: Also, does anybody know the name of the font that the translation uses?

Pomp fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 17, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Soulcleaver posted:

It's the only way in the world to get Jojo in English. If there are ever any more official releases, most of the people in this thread will buy them.

I think his point was more that it's silly of me to worry about getting poo poo for editing something that's illegal in the first place.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress is ABAJ actually supposed to mean?

darealkooky posted:

If you're going over the Jojo project translations, please remove the overuse of 「japanese quotation marks」. It sounds kinda 「cool」 for stuff like 「stand」 names but their use of it is 「loving stupid」 and 「overused」. Nobody 「talks」 like this in 「english」 and it often gets as bad as 「several」 in a single 「speech bubble」

e: Actually now that I think about it I can't remember if they started doing that with part 6, or if that's only been for the part 5/7/8 stuff they've done. Point stands.

I haven't seen any at all in part 6 yet, but it bugged the poo poo out of me in other parts.

Fiend Computer posted:

Yeah, pretty much that.

As far as editing and stuff, I think you should try to trim down/even out the amount of words in each text bubble a bit. Like on the bottom of page three, where Hermes is trying to remember Jolyne's name, maybe making the text bubbles read like this:

"What are you-? What's your name again? It's Jo... Jolyne, right?"

"What about that guard? You said he saw something? What was it?"

Doing that will make the second bubble a lot easier to read, as well as making the two bubbles more balanced on that panel. I like keeping two topics separated while you can, and it fits the page more due to both bubbles being around the same size, and now having around the same number of words. You can feel free to edit the actual content to fit the character more, but it is good to try to keep the text on the page as even as possible for consistencies sake.

As far as font goes, I can't tell you the one that the original translation used, but I would suggest just getting something bolder over all so when you have to use small font, it will be easier to read.

Thanks for the feedback! I was actually hemming and hawing over trimming that panel for a long time, it didn't even occur to me to rejig some of the dialogue while I was at it.

Second pass before I dive in. I think I've settled on a font, but small bubbles are still a motherfucker.

gently caress every tiny rear end "this is absurd" bubble.

edit: V That poo poo drives me crazy in american comics too. V

Pomp fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 18, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I wish I could be half as fabulous as Polnareff.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJ posted:

I just finished Part 5 after getting bored of it at White Album a few months ago. Can someone explain to me why Bruno was a zombie? Also what happened to Diavolo at the end? Did his ability gently caress up when he died or something?

King Crimson skipped over the moment that Bucciarati died, so it didn't actually happen, and he just sort of had to rot to "death" instead.

Diavolo's deal was kind of weird. I'm assuming what GER was going on about was just bad translation, and in reality what happened was just Giorno's weird mind/body desync you saw all of like once against Bruno getting powered up. I figure he's dying, and GER got his mind stuck in a pre-death dream state for however long it takes to slow down.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
King Crimson's ability prevents the effects of whatever actions happened in the skipped time, but the actions still happen. The bullets still passed through his head, but they did nothing. Bruno was already dying, but since the moment where his body gave out was in the skip, he didn't actually feel the effects of his death.

Diavolo can't actually do anything in the time skip either! It's not like The World, where he's free to move around - Diavolo's advantage stems from the fact that he's the only person aware that time is going to skip, and that he's able to predict other's actions. He comes out the other side primed, and swinging, everyone else comes out disoriented and confused.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like my version better than GER having some new deus ex machina power. :colbert:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rewatched a couple of episodes of the anime today, and going from Jolyne straight up loving murdering that lawyer to Jonathan's gentle rear end calmly holding Dio on the boat is some whiplash.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Iggy gets a PV.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've had to flat out stop reading for a bit at the part where Jolyne starts to rip the guard's toenail off. It is one of the most brutal things I've read, and it's too loving much.

Jolyne rules.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

swamp izzo posted:

While Kars returning to Earth with a new stand after 100 years would be kinda cool... it would also undermine the JoJo's continuity, considering that (Part 6) billions of years elapsed in Stone Ocean.

I don't even want him to show up back on earth. I want some Jason X ripoff one-shot where a research vessel finds him floating in space, and thaws him out to study him. Then we find out Kars has gone more or less feral, and a small group of surviving scientists have to try and escape.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

It can drain things from the enemy, as well as combining a bunch of drains into a cylindrical figure for oraora-ing. It can be called 「Splish Splash」

Can it's battle cry be RUBADUBADUBADUBADUBADUBADUB THREE MEN IN A TUB?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like how everyone immediately forgets how Weather Report was a huge loving rear end in a top hat to random strangers, and directly assaulted several people over nothing, like 10 seconds after he starts fighting Pucci.

mr. stefan posted:

Phantom of the Opera: A stand that eats fasteners, hangers and hinges, and can do nothing else.

Something tells me if Josuke's wardrobe got messed up and wrinkly, he ain't going outside that day.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

a cartoon duck posted:

Dio was at his best in Part 6 when he was chilling on a bed with Pucci reading books. Anyone remember which chapter that happened in? It's seriously one of my favourite all-time JoJo panels.

I don't remember which chapter, but I remember Dio saying how much he loved a Michael Jackson concert and laughing for days.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jotaro stopping time suddenly was kind of lame, but it's hype as poo poo in ASB.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I streamed the anime for a bit to watch with a friend last night, got through episode 4. Sbe'd never watched before, and now Dio, Speedwagon and GERBYE, JOJO are very important to her.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

So I guess some people were paid to paint and release the whole series so far as an ebook in Japan.

These are popping up all over the duwang and diamond is unbreakable tags on tumblr. There was one guy who colored the first few chapters about Shigechi, but I can't find it now. :ohdear:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Polnareff was Polnareff in the OVA and the capcom game, so how does it need to be dodged for copyright now?

Pomp fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 18, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get Gyro's joke near the end of True Man's World in Volume 8/Volume 88, page 110. Is it an incredibly japanese pun, or some poo poo?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Is there any chance of the OP coming out before episode 2? Did they reveal part 1 and 2s beforehand?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Decided to take a break from SBR to try and read Duwang. I can't decide if I was lucky or not coming into Jojo at a time when there's alternatives to "brother don't be dong."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is reaching parody.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's up with the seemingly random panels that have started to crop up in SBR where someone in foreground mostly just has the outline work done on them?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They're gonna be sad when they rename King Crimson "Red Man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This one guy is really insistent on making her docile, like a winter catfish.

• Locked thread