Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Cappy posted:

I really don't see why people think it needs more than 26 episodes. 1 episode per stand user, 1/2 for minor ones, and 2 for DIO seems like it is more than enough. I'd prefer they excise some dialogue than give it the DBZ treatment.

But the thing with DBZ is that the anime was airing while the manga was still ongoing. Hell, wasn't that the whole reason the battle in Namek feels abysmally endless? The fact that they were catching up mind-numbingly fast? With JoJo they have no such constraints, and for Parts 3 and 4, a lot of the charm is the world-building. I guess they should be able to streamline it without downright butchering anything.

From what I read somewhere (probably 2ch, since they were going apeshit when the anime was airing) Phantom Blood was cut to 9 episodes because of Araki and how he feels slightly "embarrassed" by it. Hell, if anything, Battle Tendency felt almost perfect with the 17 episodes it was given, and they only cut like 2 chapters, tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I don't think 1 has much going for it other than being endearingly goofy.

Part 1 has Will Zeppeli and Speedwagon. There is no better thing to have going for. :colbert:

In all honesty, though, I used to be of this opinion too, along with PART 3 TRUMPS THEM ALL. Right now, however, I have come to one drat conclusion: I cannot consider anything as "the weakest" when it allows this gorgeous jewel to be animated/voiced. I know for a fact that fight-wise it gets so much crazier than that, but the sheer bravado of that scene still pumps me up. And that's why I still love this series.

As far as the characters/voice actors breathing life into them, I really want to believe someone might out-crazy Sugita as Joseph. I really want to believe it, but it's looking pretty doubtful. Romi Park voicing Koichi brings the biggest smile to my face, though; especially because, stand-wise, that explains what he gets up to later on if they're bringing her on board for Koichi.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, I thought I was excited about all the talent they brought into the voice casting but then this new trailer came, and it made me notice two voice actors for certain Part 5 characters:

Bru-Bu: Noriaki Sugiyama
Diavolo: TOSHIYUKI MORIKAWA :sbahj:

Now, while Sugiyama does seem suited for Bruno, I am honestly excited now that they got Tekkaman loving Blade for this, since I couldn't honestly picture anybody else doing that crazy weirdo proper justice. Now I want to see the anime for both this and Part 4 to really happen, because it's gonna be so goddamn fun to hear these two in action.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

"ARIARIARIARIARRIVIDERCI"

Oh Jesus Christ CC2 don't make me want this game even more.

Goddammit everything about this trailer was beautiful. And now to be able to listen to it properly. I retract everything I posted that doubted Mister Kamiya's skills. Romi Park as Koichi was a blast and so was Yuuko Sanpei as Narancia.

The cake, however, was listening to that "Arrivederci!" with the proper swagger that the Protagonist of Part 5 deserves. Whoever was in charge of Casting for the whole project(anime and game) just knocked it out of the park. The only one I felt could have been miscast was Kazuhiko Inoue but even he learned to step up to the plate and just channel his inner crazy.

I can't believe I'm this excited over a video game. I just... want to be September already, goddammit.

The best part of the trailer? Speedwagon :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, Araki was on a roll for the better part of a decade; that is not to say that Vento Aureo is without merits. It's just that, after writing about the Bizarre Adventures of a gentlemanly archaeologist, a lovable jerk, an angry-looking student / marine biologist and a mama's boy, it's gonna be pretty hard to stay at that level or go over it.

What I'm saying is that Vento Aureo never had a fighting chance, even if it had a proper JoJo. But we didn't get the JoJo we needed: We got the GioGio we deserved.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Johnny's reminds me of a lot of manga protagonists, but in a good way. Jolyne is an awesome character period and I hope that we get a Part Six anime soon because listening to Miyuki Sawashiro's lines from the All-Star Battle previews puts a goofier smile on my face.

The goofiest smiles, of course, are indebted to Sugita as Joseph. Although that may change once the actual game comes out and I get to hear the other VA's do their thang.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo! Who's gonna be the VA for Vanilla Ice?

Also, Oldseph sounds way too... unlike how I imagined him? I do hope he's still a blast to play.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Seafoam posted:

I was always under the impression that by nature there was something about stands and their being a personification of some sort of psychological/spiritual energy that made understanding one's own stand ability, no matter how absurd, second nature to the user. After that just how well the user can manipulate/understand their stand's ability largely depends on how willing they are to experiment with it and/or accept it without worrying too much about what the gently caress it is or what it is that it's doing.

Wait, does this mean that Koichi is a loud-mouthed rear end in a top hat in the making?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I like how Avdol looks super intense even when smiling.

quote:

Now let's hope they picked the guy who's going to voice this fabulous hombre right. Hiroaki Hirata was pretty dang amazing as ASB Polnareff.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

Rewatched a couple of episodes of the anime today, and going from Jolyne straight up loving murdering that lawyer to Jonathan's gentle rear end calmly holding Dio on the boat is some whiplash.

Alleviate that to a middle ground by watching Joseph being his ultra awesome but sorta-douchy self.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone else noticed the perplexing amount of detail they put on Mohammed's sweaty face? April cannot come soon enough. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Perigryn posted:

I suddenly imagine an Iron Chef style contest at the Jump offices where they pit him, Oda and Togashi against each other to find the most creative uses for mundane sounding abilities.

That would necessitate Oda to be able to step away from his work place at all and for Togashi to... you know, give two shits what's going on outside his house.

I think that the usefulness of stands is directly related to how much the user starts to realize just how much he can get away with.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know, despite how often Araki plays fast and loose with the rules (especially regarding continuity), there's something that I often find quite hilarious, specifically regarding his little notes after an arc is over.

I'm re-reading Part 4, after Rohan's introductory arc there's this message that truly made me laugh: Pink Dark Boy by Rohan Kishibe was switched to a monthly schedule! :ohdear: Which I do believe goes to explain just how Rohan is able to have Bizarre Adventures of his own.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And here I thought Kotetsu's Hirata's voice was perfect for Polnareff. Boy, was I wrong. The best kind of wrong. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spacedad posted:

Look for Yoshikage Kira somewhere in the crowd shot in a future episode of Axe Cop.

:ssh:

Bowie flavor or rear end-River flavor?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn: Re-reading through it, I feel that Steel Ball Run is probably as good as Araki is going to get at conveying emotions through his story. As Johnny's thoughts turn to being grateful for Gyro's company throughout the horse race, I couldn't help but get all choked up. I had already read through it once, but... goddamn. :cry:

boredsatellite posted:

And nobody really cares because SBR was the best thing ever. I want that animated in my lifetime

I really hope that the anime adaptation of Stardust Crusaders is successful enough to convince sponsors, Shueisha and whoever else with money to burn on fabulous that an anime of Part 7 needs to be a reality.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While I do agree that Bruno loving rules and he's all but the real protagonist, Part 5 is worth it just because it includes one of the most incredibly cringe-worthy and badass looking beatdowns that I remember ever reading. Even if he's never as cool as Bruno, Giorno earned his Jojo badge with that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SunAndSpring posted:

I'd buy a Kira tie. Of course, I'd never wear it in public ever, but it'd be nice to have.

Why? You'd look perfectly respectable AND cool. What's the downside, young man? :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In my completely unfair, biased opinion, a part 5 anime adaptation would be boss if:

1. The torture dance is properly animated.
  2. If they have to follow the trend of the Part 3 anime (so far) and have only 2 of the ASB voice actors reprise their role, then let it be Noriaki Sugiyama as Bruno and Toshiyuki Morikawa as Diavolo. Giorno feels way better suited to a younger-sounding voice actor (Miyu Irino or Ryohei Kimura, maybe?)
  3. That they keep the inane conversations / goofy interactions intact. Mista and Narancia are so goddamn fun.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

That's because Kira is the best villain in Jojo by a metric fuckload. Conquering the world, becoming the ultimate life-form? whatever, dude just wants to quietly chill-out with his "girlfriends" and have an uneventful life.

But, more than anything, he does behave like a loving psycho-sexual serial killer would, which makes him interesting. There is also the fact that he is actually the underdog that works for him.

More importantly: Despite his seemingly serious façade, he has a lot of odd or downright goofy quirks.

And Jojo as a whole is at its best when there's a combination of two of its more prevalent elements, goofiness being a particularly important one. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StalkofWheat posted:

I gotta say I really loving love King Nothing's design. Plus Norisuke is my favorite Jojolion character. I also have a soft spot for Hermit Purple, and still think if Joseph got it when he was young it would work like Stone Free.

I'd like to believe that, as far as hypothetical scenarios go, young Joseph Joestar possessing any sort of stand would make him completely broken, even if we were to exclude his limited mind-reading ability.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

The fact that Johnny is like the only Jojo with a legitimate character arc is part of why he's my favorite.

What? I mean, he does have the longest character arc but, as far as I can recall, both Joseph and Jolyne also have pretty good development arcs. Of course, with Joseph it was a bit more compressed because it had to fit in 7 volumes, but it's there. Same goes for Jolyne.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Listen, having Kira Yoshikage / Killer Queen faithfully guarding my string instruments is something that must be cherished beyond words. Especially for someone like me, a heathen southpaw. And he gets to finally have the quiet life that he so coveted. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In all fairness, Part 4 has the main villain straight-up acting like a Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? character while trying to retrieve an important item. That's really hard to top.

hoobajoo posted:

Stardust Crusaders is hurt by Araki not knowing really what he wanted to do, so there's a lot of experimentation and iteration without much of a story beyond "DIO is a bastard man". I still like it, as I like every part of JoJo, but it's probably next to Vento Aureo as my least favorite parts.

I still think that Vento Aureo is easily as good as both Battle Tendency and Steel Ball Run but that it suffers greatly from a really half-assed translation. When I finally got my hands on the Part 5 volumes, I feel that the only thing the fan translations didn't utterly gently caress up was just how badass Bruno is. I sincerely hope that the official translations they're making for Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency are successful enough to pave the way for Part 5.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
After going through Battle Tendency once again, in an effort to remain as :colbert: as possible in this matter that was the subject of discussion a few pages ago, I can safely declare that, going merely by both his good luck and his incredibly underhanded nature, young Joseph would destroy DIO. He wouldn't even need to use a stand.

KidDynamite posted:

Just finished part 5. RIP Buccelati. Best character in the manga so far.

The most :black101: pretty boy ever conceived by Araki.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: drat straight :hfive: ^^^^^^

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And by good luck, you of course mean Stroheim. :colbert:

I honestly cannot tell who was the bigger revelation when I first experienced Battle Tendency animated. I was already a Sugita fan on account of him being super dorky and earnest about playing the hell out of each role, but Atsushi Imaruoka made Stroheim JUMP at you. Takuya Sato was also pretty good as Caesar.

Getting to hear "And now you're going to say..." gave me that giddy, right-stuff feeling but getting to experience the "SEKAI ICHIIIIIII" was, as a dear cousin would say, 'far out'.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 17, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Jorge Joestar owns bones. It also surprised me because I assumed that the craziest Jojo novel story was going to be written by NisiOisiN, but Over Heaven felt very... unlike Nisio?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure you can write "Crown of Thorns" with kanji. It should be something like this (if you want to go with the Stardust Crusaders Style) 「荊の冠」

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'all have it wrong: It's because Josuke is a goddamn dork, just like his half-sister and his dad, A.K.A. THE GOONIEST Jojo. :smuggo:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This. She's Holy/Holly's Daughter, wears a dumb hat. Is cool. Curses at random when talking about mundane stuff ("The Goddamn Higashikatas!"). She's that universes Jotaro.

But is she capable of laying down the sickest beat(ing)? I do believe that's the most important question.

Couldn't help it, ZMB. Your avatar text is just so goddamn inviting.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I didn't know I wanted this in my life :kimchi:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can we go back to talking about how Josuke's stupid hair is totally lame for a while?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Is she the lady who interviewed Big Poppa Araki dressed as Jotaro? She's really into her JoJolore, it seems.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MelvinBison posted:

"Crazy on You." I don't know how to do those Japanese brackets.

「Crazy on you」

But man, even after she broke her tail bone / coccyx she went and did the full show anyway This lady's hardcore. Also a little crazy

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

Iggy has a page on the official website, with a new artwork:

http://jojo-animation.com/contents/character/iggy.html

(not my mash-up)

Either this is going to be a super cute-sounding Iggy or the lady that voices Sakura Kasugano is gonna go all hot-blooded on our asses.

Either one is fine with me. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm still hoping for Sono Chi no Sadame in the final fight.

While Sono Chi no Sadame would be a rad song to use, I honestly think Stand Proud would make that final fight all the more metal... or maybe they should go all out and use the only instrumental that HE, DIO can get behind.

• Locked thread