Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

OxeHunden posted:

I fell asleep so couldn't check for replies :)

More stuff to check out! I checked out the trailer for Chihayafuru and it looks like fun, I'll see if I can get a hold of a copy. Nichijou looks fun as well so will try to find that. Regarding One Piece, I'm not really sure how far it was covered cause I gave my jumps away a long time ago (space issues) so I don't really know. The anime I watched just past that liar fellow.. usoi? or something and he alone made me stop watching. I think I'll wait till the kid gets old enough to watch it and then give it another go then with someone who'll probably go berserk watching it. Will be a few years, he's just 4. What is the age rating on One Piece?

Well, thank you all for a lot of great suggestions, I have a lot to go through and try to find. I think I will be set for a good while.

If you're only looking for stuff currently out on DVD/Blu-ray you're going to be missing out on a lot of these recommendations. Chihayafuru isn't available in English outside of (legal) streaming services. Legend of the Galactic Heroes, of course, is not available through any service, streaming or otherwise. Take a look at what Crunchyroll has to offer. If you have a way to watch stuff from your computer on a TV (through HDMI, DVI, VGA etc) the quality is typically better than DVD. And of course, many DVD sets are long out of print and hilariously expensive used.

Also I'm guessing 'usoi' is Usui from Kaichou wa Maid Sama, which is a pretty alright show and probably worth sticking around for a few more episodes to give it a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

atrus50 posted:

Clusterfuck like the second half of Kemonozume clusterfuck? or is it just bad

Just bad. Terrible show with an abysmal ending and easily the worst thing to ever touch Noitamina.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nichijou would be pretty good for this if you haven't seen it.

Is this suggestion missing a word or is it some kind of April Fools' joke?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

The novel's pretty affordable nowadays and if a ~$30 used price tag looks like a lot you could probably sell it back if you don't want to hold on to it. I remember it being quite good. I liked it more than the manga (and quite a bit more than the anime) but what the manga does is very... different, and not in a way that I liked.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

So I guess I'm curious about comedy animes. I watched all of Azumanga Daioh and liked it quite a bit, and I have enjoyed Hataraku Maou-sama so far. Hidamari Sketch was decent but very slow paced. That's about all that I've ever bothered to watch more than one or two episodes of.

edit: Also, I guess I prefer more self-contained, sketch-type stuff, rather than following a long story arc across a bunch of episodes. But it's not a deal breaker.

Cromartie High School. Also seconding recommendations of Daily Lives of High School Boys, Astro Fighter Sunred, Detroit Metal City, and Nichijou.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

I enjoyed the Eureka Seven movie quite a bit, and I definitely think it is worth watching. I recall the reception here being positive but not nearly as great as the actual series (it just isn't close to that level). It's quite different from the TV series, so if you go with the expectation that it will be more of the same, or if you keep actively worrying about how the characters are supposed to be related to what you already know, you're not really giving it the chance it deserves.

In any case, it's not AO, and fans of the series shouldn't avoid it.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

I guess a high school boy is close enough to a deer.

I'll definitely check out FMP.
e: Thanks for recommending FMP. It's definitely not the best out there Let's be frank, it's absolutely terrible when it's trying to be serious, but hell if it isn't entertaining. But that female general(?) is so shamefully and overtly moe I can barely deal with it. Thankfully she isn't that big a part of the show.

Side question: Where might a buy a digital copy of all of the Fate/Zero music?

The first season of Full Metal Panic is just sloppy. There's a few really bad arcs in particular. But of course, Fumoffu is fantastic (comedy) and The Second Raid is good. Gonzo just didn't do a good job with season 1, but Kyoto Animation did a great job with the material.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Utena fits that list pretty perfectly. Princess Tutu is also a good choice, but might require a bit of patience to get there.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Is Oreimo worth the watch? I watched a couple episodes and while it seems well written and has decent art and animation, the premise is a bit hard to deal with. Does the whole shameful otaku beauty pervade the rest of the show or does it change later on?

Before season two I would have said yes, it's probably not a waste of your time. The shameful otaku bit isn't really the focus (in terms of screentime) with the show, and while it's definitely important, it's not as heavily featured throughout as the first episodes are. The problem is with the obvious relationship that develops. Season one is fairly tame in that regard, but the new season definitely is not heading in a good direction. It's a real shame, as there seems to be talent behind the scenes, and there are good parts to the show. It's not a crazy unwatchable mess (yet), but you'll probably be disappointed knowing that the elements that make the show bad are the same that make up the core of the show and drive sales.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Clannad has two full TV series. I'd strongly recommend them over the movie if you know that you'll like the show. The movie has a very different feel from the show and it's not really that good.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Vertical's translations are some of the best you will find, and you won't have any complaints unless you sit them side-by-side to the original and complain about honorifics or whatever.

The Black Jack release is great (paper quality, covers, size) and it's very quickly going out of print. There's already 2 to 3 that are unavailable and crazy expensive, so if you think you'll ever want it, buy it now.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

I still have a few things on my old list I haven't watched yet. I was planning on checking out Eve No Jikan, Canaan, Kurozuka, The Tower of Druaga, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Kara No Kyoukai, and Shiki. I just throw stuff on a list whenever I hear about it and it sounds interesting. I have no idea if it's actually any good or not.

Anyway, I'll check out the stuff you guys mentioned. Thanks again.

I'm not sure where you're getting some of these titles, but you can definitely skip out on both Canaan (maybe you're thinking of Kanon?) and Tower of Druaga, because they are neither popular nor good. I wouldn't call Shiki "popular", but the others are fairly popular on this side of the internet.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

I think its just the first four episodes that are made up primarily of flashbacks. I found something very funny out about the show a few weeks ago. Apparently one of the storyboard artists is none other than Yoshiaki Kawajiri, the director of "Ninja Scroll" and "Wicked City". I like to think he's started hanging around the Madhouse offices going, "Hey guys, I know its not the 90s anymore, but you got some stuff I can work on?"

I love Chihayafuru as much as most of the posters here, but I should probably say that I didn't love the first handful of episodes. A series of flashbacks that probably didn't even need to be there was a terrible way to start the show, and from there it was a few episodes before it got into what the show is actually about. It didn't help that (in my opinion) the side characters took a long time to develop.

Whoever said that karuta (the sport) takes a backseat is very, very wrong. It's a real stretch, but if you continue through episode 10-11 I think that's the point where you will know if you want to watch this show or not. Either way, you'll enjoy some excellent animation and music and you'll probably be at least entertained by it.

edit: no I'm not going to further justify why the first three episodes of a show shouldn't be a flashback sequence that isn't indicative of the show itself sorry

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 9, 2013

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

Is Wedding Peach any good or should I just skip it in my unofficial magical girl marathon?

The first episode (or however far in the first episode you can make it) will probably answer your question. It's a very poorly done copycat show.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

So, I tried out Steins;Gate after seeing it mentioned so often here. I'm not impressed after 4 episodes. I love the idea of the time traveling text messages, the references to John Titor, the idea of an amateur mad scientist, but...I don't actually enjoy watching it. The side characters all seem to be 'wacky' caricatures and there's no sense of narrative movement. I'm finding the scenes with Shiina almost unbearable due to the combination of her VA (in both English and Japanese) and her irritating preciousness - I stopped watching in disgust at the bit in episode 4 when she's trying to 'shake hands with the stars' or whatever. Daru and Makise seem OK by comparison. I'm going to give it another episode and if it doesn't improve drastically, I'll consider it validation of my tendency not to watch shows based on computer games.

I personally thought the first ~6ish episodes were not good. The show gets better -- much better, but Mayuri doesn't really change. I'd say give it a few more, as I'd be really surprised if you kept with it and didn't appreciate it, based on what you already like.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Sinking Ship posted:

I recently rewatched True Tears because it was one of the first anime I watched out of Highschool and now a couple years later and however many shows watched in between my perception of anime has changed fairly dramatically. It was weird because there was so much stuff I missed on my first watch just due to ignorance of tropes of the genre. So anyway I'm trying to find something comparable to watch, that is to say, a romance show with a moderate amount of drama (tugs the heartstrings), that doesn't look terrible, and is fairly concise (preferably not more than 24 episodes but, you know, exceptions if it's something exceptional).

Aside from the recommendations you've already got (Honey and Clover is perfect, Clannad is an excellent fit and I think Kanon (2006) would be as well), if you find nothing else to watch there's White Album, which I really hesitate to recommend because the main character is terrible and ruins the show for me, but the drama is certainly there.

unpronounceable posted:

Somewhat in contrast to these recommendations, I'm looking for something that's just very uplifting. Something in the vein of Aria, or Sketchbook ~full color's~. I've enjoyed Sound of the Sky, and Hidamari Sketch. While it seems like a good fit, I found Strawberry Marshmallow too sickeningly cute.

Sounds like you're looking for "iyashi-kei" (healing) shows. Maybe Kamichu? If you haven't given it a shot, watch Mushishi and if you like that, Natsume Juujinchou. Mushishi has self-contained episodes with a very tranquil atmosphere. You might also like Minami-ke if you want Strawberry Marshmallow without the hyper-cute (there's a lot of recommendations that could come from this...). I would also recommend Potemayo because it's not quite like these others, but it has a pretty relaxed pace. I haven't watched a lot of it but I'd also say Kino's Journey would be up your alley. Tsuritama is a chill and fun show about friendship, fishing, and maybe aliens.

If you're open to manga, find Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Also Yotsuba&! The author of Aria has a currently running series, Amanchu.

A lot of the Ghibli films that aren't serious would also fit. Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro, Whispers of the Heart, etc.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Clamp uses different main artists for a their works. I really like the xxxHolic art style in the manga, but I have no clue what they were thinking with the anime -- Code Geass mostly gets the thin body style right, I'd say.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

I dislike manga and anime to a great degree, but I just read Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba and those were just absolutely wonderful. Anything similiar out there? Nothing supernatural or high adventure, just fun stuff.

Azumanga is the most anime thing and if you like it, you don't actually hate anime or manga. I love Hidamari Sketch but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who 'dislikes' anime -- your mileage may vary.

I would recommend Nichijou. If you want more comedy, Cromartie High School or Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Smornstein posted:

I've been wanting to check out more of Key's anime since i loved Clannad and After Story but apart from that all i've seen on netflix's streaming options was Angel Beats and that was okay but didn't really hit me in the heart like Clannad did. Are any of the older Key titles worth watching?

I liked Kanon (2006) and Air TV both quite a bit more than Clannad. Kanon much, much more. It honestly confuses me why Clannad is near universally thought of so highly over the other Key stuff. It's a good show, but there's really not much great about it until the last bit, which matters when it's 48 episodes. Air kind of has the same problem, but it's much shorter. If you loved all of it you'll probably like Kanon a lot, and if you really liked the ending, you'll like Air, I guess?

These can be pretty hit or miss, but both are definitely worth a shot if you liked Clannad.

Little Busters is a garbage adaptation, feel free to ignore it unless you want to play the original game.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 22, 2014

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

You mentioned 13 shows in your post, most of which are very popular and aired on TV, that doesn't come close to scratching the surface of "all the classic good stuff". If there's one thing I've gotten from watching Japanese cartoons in the last 10 years, it's that there's always plenty of great stuff out there, and you're never going to run out of things to watch.

If you haven't checked out the shows in the wiki's new page, check them out. Most of the shows from the Simulwatch threads (archives are down, so you can't read the threads) have been excellent.

Most people are going to just list out their favorite/what they think is the 'best'. Almost everything I'd universally recommend is on those two pages.

edit: I'd also recommend skimming this thread, and if you see a show mentioned two or three times (and not from the same poster), take a look at it.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 24, 2014

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Fenrir posted:

That's the problem. I've been here forever and I've watched almost all of that. I only listed the 13 shows that first came to mind. I've read and even contributed to the wiki and it found me a lot of shows that I really enjoyed, but I'm running out. I will admit my one huge problem is that I just don't read manga and just won't do it. The only exceptions I've ever made are for Chihayafuru and Berserk because I just have to loving know how those stories go. Otherwise I want to see anime.

That's why I don't know exactly where to go from here. I'm sort of hoping there is something new that I haven't heard of (I am about to watch the first episode of House of Five Leaves since Burrito recommended it) or something I should know about that I just don't... or just missed.

Like I said, this is difficult. I've watched a whole lot and I am kinda just fishing for anything great that I've not seen at this point.

It is difficult to find new shows, since most online anime communities are garbage, and ratings mean absolutely nothing on them. With not much to go on, 'good' is just going to get you shotgun answers. A lot of the Manga suggestions on the New page have great anime adaptations -- Planetes, Kaiji, FMA to name a few.

Have you ever considered making a MyAnimeList or something similar? (Don't bother with the site's rankings / social stuff.) You could give ratings and add comments (use the Tags field), and I've found it very helpful in sharing recommendations with friends.

edit: Speaking of myanimelist, there's an ADTRW group on there, so you could look at individual lists and sort by score to see what people think is good?

(beaten, of course) I'm not really into Macross, but I'd recommend Macross Plus since it's short, self-contained, and rather good.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 24, 2014

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

sulphix posted:

Been stuck at home sick for the past few days, been burning through some anime. There's actually not a whole lot of shows I've seen, so I'm a little bit out of my element when it comes to finding new ones.

Shows I have seen:
Attack on Titan
Kill la Kill
Gurren Lagann
Neon Genesis Evangelion (few episodes shy of completing)

There's a few episodes I've seen of Full Metal Alchemist, but not a whole lot. My favorite from the list is either Gurren Lagann or Kill la Kill, so anything like either of those would definitely be up my alley.

The usual recommendations for people who are relatively new to anime: http://adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=New%3F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Necronomoticon posted:

i know nothing about the game since the only way the English version is currently available is through shady-looking websites for purchase and slightly less shady-looking websites for torrents.

I'll probably be getting the PSN version soon, but I'd definitely watch the series. the English dub is fine and they rewrite some pop culture references in some :catstare: ways.

It's currently available as a physical copy on RightStuf or Amazon, which as you know are incredibly shady-looking websites, but also available from the actual distributor cheaper as a physical or download edition.

• Locked thread