Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm looking for a series (manga preferred but I have no issues if its an anime) that has the main character sort of thrust into the villain/bad guys group and how that plays out. Don't care if it's supernatural or not, but modern setting is definitely a plus.

Black Lagoon should fit that description pretty well. I prefer the anime, but the manga is fine. They cover pretty much the exact same material. It is currently on hiatus though, I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Devil Tesla posted:

How have people not mentioned Mamoru Hosoda yet? Wolf Children, Summer Wars, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Wolf Children is especially amazing, an epic parenting story that is basically my favorite movie.
I am one of the biggest Hosoda fans on the planet and I would never in a million years say that his films look bad, but at the same time they aren't really ones you can watch and potentially be dazzled by the animation alone (Wolf Children has some really iffy bystander animation in the city sequences). You watch Hosoda films because the stories, casts, and direction are superlative.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I asked this in the Seinen thread but I thought I'd get more opinions by asking here: I'm looking for a series (manga preferred but I have no issues if its an anime) that has the main character sort of thrust into the villain/bad guys group and how that plays out. I recently binged what was out of Tokyo Ghoul which ended up being pretty neat. Shamo, Ikigami, and Akame ga kill were all recommended to me but I haven't gotten a chance to check any of them out yet. Don't care if it's supernatural or not, but modern setting is definitely a plus.

Teppu. Main character is a pretty sadistic bitch who loves beating the poo poo out of people and/or crushing their dreams. And it is amazing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Srice posted:

Ghost in the Shell definitely has that 90s aesthetic but if someone can't watch pre-2000's anime then I feel bad for them :colbert:

Movie still looks pretty dang good today.

As long as it's not 2.0 yeah (not to be confused with innocence).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Wolf Children has some really iffy bystander animation in the city sequences

So do the Evangelion movies? Who cares. I expect extras like that to be sort of anonymous and cheaply made because it makes the central characters stand out.

I know that's not the only thing you're talking about, but what do you expect? Not even Ghibli movies stick to shooting on twos (meaning each drawing is used on two frames, and which is what is considered smooth animation), and ones are only used for important scenes. Unless you want every movie to take seven years like Redline did (and even that isn't all on twos), you're going to get some limited animation. And like you said, his movies are also really well directed and that counts for a lot.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Redcrimson posted:

Black Lagoon should fit that description pretty well. I prefer the anime, but the manga is fine. They cover pretty much the exact same material. It is currently on hiatus though, I'm pretty sure.

The anime is on hiatus, the manga is being updated slowly but surely.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Devil Tesla posted:

So do the Evangelion movies? Who cares. I expect extras like that to be sort of anonymous and cheaply made because it makes the central characters stand out.
I don't care; Mamoru Hosoda is my favorite anime film director and I would put his films well above anyone else's on overall merits. But the question was about visually impressive films like Redline, and I just wouldn't place the Hosoda films in that category. Hell I probably wouldn't place any Ghibli film in that category either. They look fine, very good to great even, for what they are setting out to do. But at the same time they are not a Garden of Words (which remember is a movie I don't even like all that much).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

As long as it's not 2.0 yeah (not to be confused with innocence).

Oh god yeah, I will anti-recommend the hell out of that version. Nobody should watch it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Devil Tesla posted:

Man that tokyo 3 city sequence in rebuild 2 is gorgeous so it bugs me so badly how lovely the cg extras look. It's loving wretched.

Highschool of the Dead got away with it because they were literally zombies but those fuckers in Rebuild 2 had the same walk animations..??!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Srice posted:

Oh god yeah, I will anti-recommend the hell out of that version. Nobody should watch it.

If it's somehow the only way you can watch it, it's still worth it. It's a travesty the original hasn't gotten a proper Bluray transfer, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Brasseye posted:

Can anyone recommend me some really well animated and visually impressive films? Stuff like this Ive seen and enjoyed so far: REDLINE, the Evangelion Rebuild films, all 3 Berserk movies, One Piece: Strong World and some Ghibli stuff as well.

Somehow everyone seems to have forgotten to mention any of Satoshi Kon's films, most especially Paprika.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrygKPbhLso

And second, third, whatevering Shinkai's stuff.
5cm/Second

Garden of Words

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Somehow everyone seems to have forgotten to mention any of Satoshi Kon's films, most especially Paprika.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrygKPbhLso

I knew I forgot something. That parade sequences are the most amazing and wonderful things ever animated.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
Just picked up amazon prime. Is there anything on there worth watching for those who use it?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

f1av0r posted:

Just picked up amazon prime. Is there anything on there worth watching for those who use it?

Last time I checked Clannad and After Story were on there, and those are definitely a great pair of shows if you're into something with more of a romance vibe to it. Frankly the last half of After Story made it and Clannad my favorite series ever, it manages to really hit the viewer in the right ways with each episode. Compared to the other two major streaming sites Amazon Prime is kinda eh on the anime front.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

f1av0r posted:

Paprika is on there, it's a great movie. (see my post just a few up from this one)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Five Star Stories was something else, you guys. :allears: The only downside in my eyes is that, really, there's not more of it.

Leaving my new-found love/fanboyism for this Manga aside, I need recommendations on 2 things that I wish to watch:

- I recently got into re-playing some of the "Tales of..." games (Xillia and Vesperia; playing Abyss for the first time on the 3DS), and I was wondering if any of the Anime series / OVA's were worth a spin.
- A really funny anime. Laugh-like-an-idiot funny. Gintama, Nichibros, Cromartie, Zetsubo-sensei are some of the ones that spring to mind as making me laugh this hard. This season's D-Frag is good, but nowhere near Cromartie or Gintama levels of idiot-like laughter.

e: Wait a loving minute! There was a DMC anime? I remember the Live-Action movie being sort of funny, but still nowhere near as fun as the manga. Does the Anime fix this?

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 21, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Wark Say posted:

- A really funny anime. Laugh-like-an-idiot funny. Gintama, Nichibros, Cromartie, Zetsubo-sensei are some of the ones that spring to mind as making me laugh this hard. This season's D-Frag is good, but nowhere near Cromartie or Gintama levels of idiot-like laughter.
I really liked Detroit Metal City.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wark Say posted:

- I recently got into re-playing some of the "Tales of..." games (Xillia and Vesperia; playing Abyss for the first time on the 3DS), and I was wondering if any of the Anime series / OVA's were worth a spin.

They're pretty good adaptations if you're a fan. Abyss is the best since it got a whole series (and makes a nice companion to the game, since the game has a nasty habit of hiding backstory behind ridiculous sidequest requirements), but the OVAs of Symphonia and Phantasia weren't bad either, as I recall. Been a while since I watched any of them, though, and I know Symphonia got kind of ridiculous with how many OVAs it has.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

e: Wait a loving minute! There was a DMC anime? I remember the Live-Action movie being sort of funny, but still nowhere near as fun as the manga. Does the Anime fix this?

Yes, absolutely.

e:VVVV I would never do such a thing, not even as a joke, and I hope that nobody else would either.

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 21, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For a second there I thought someone was seriously recommending the Devil May Cry anime.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I've been wanting to check out more of Key's anime since i loved Clannad and After Story but apart from that all i've seen on netflix's streaming options was Angel Beats and that was okay but didn't really hit me in the heart like Clannad did. Are any of the older Key titles worth watching?

Smornstein fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 21, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I've tried starting Kanon four or five times but something about it just puts me to sleep, so I really can't recommend it myself.

Wark Say posted:

The Vesperia OVA does a great job filling in backstory for Yuri and Flynn and managing to have some wonderfully animated fight scenes as well. As for laughing like an idiot, Baka and Test is probably the dumbest show I've ever watched but it never fails to make me chuckle.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Smornstein posted:

I've been wanting to check out more of Key's anime since i loved Clannad and After Story but apart from that i'll i've seen on netflix's streaming options was Angel Beats and that was okay but didn't really hit me in the heart like Clannad did. Are any of the older Key titles worth watching?
Kanon 2006 is pretty decent and it was one of the main reasons people were excited about CLANNAD before learning CLANNAD was far and away the better work. AIR is awful except for the summer OVA. Little Busters! suffers from having a boring first season based on the worst material from the VN before picking up a little bit in the second season (though I never got around to watching all of it).

CLANNAD is far and away the best thing Key has ever done, though I am hopeful that the upcoming Angel Beats! VN is good.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Smornstein posted:

I've been wanting to check out more of Key's anime since i loved Clannad and After Story but apart from that i'll i've seen on netflix's streaming options was Angel Beats and that was okay but didn't really hit me in the heart like Clannad did. Are any of the older Key titles worth watching?
The final arc of Air is heartbreaking, but aside from that Air and Kanon (at least the parts I've seen of the latter, I don't think i ever finished it) were pretty mediocre compared to Clannad. Did you finish Angel Beats? The last bits were the best.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I'm loving sold. Detroit Metal City and Tales of the Abyss it is!

Also, while we're discussing Devil May Cry, here's a little anecdote:

Last year, I went to work in Tokyo as a recording engineer, and I had the chance to meet and chat (we were mostly bullshitting back-and-forth regarding sports, though) with Toshiyuki Morikawa and while he agreed that the Devil May Cry anime bored him to tears, he said that he never regretted portraying Dante because, down the road, it gave him the chance to tease/annoy Nobuyuki Hiyama for many days on end when they recorded their lines for the Project x Zone videogame. And while I know it's just useless trivia that's probably gonna end up in :tvtropes: or some such website, I thought it was sort of rad that this serious looking forty-something man still holds dear a friend he made back in the early nineties.

e: Also considering Baka and Test.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

That's honestly my favorite thing about anime VAs on both ends of the Pacific, it feels almost everyone has at least one best buddy to work with and screw around with when recording or at conventions.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Wark Say posted:

Try Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. It's a spinoff of Full Metal Panic! and I count it as better than the original show. It's about a teenage mercenary/former child soldier who goes undercover in a high school to protect a girl being targeted by some shadowy organization. The reasons are discussed in the original show and are unimportant. The point of Fumoffu is all the wacky hijinx that come about from the guy not knowing how to act in a peaceful, normal society as a normal teenager.

It's a goddamn laugh riot. Oh, and you absolutely don't have to see the original show first to understand what's going on. I actually started with the spinoff and it got me interested in the main show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also, the first fmp is an interesting idea executed poorly. Fumafuu is pretty amusing, though it veers too far toward silly at times. Second raid is loving awesome and it's a major bummer there isn't more in that vein / that the first season wasn't by them.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

DamnGlitch posted:

Also, the first fmp is an interesting idea executed poorly. Fumafuu is pretty amusing, though it veers too far toward silly at times.

Yeah, I think "it fell flat" is a good way to summarize my thoughts on the original when I first saw it. TSR was definitely heavier but I don't know that I enjoyed it any more that the first season, mostly because of all the existential angst I had to watch. I mean, I feel like it was necessary for him to go through that period of uncertainty but the whole time I was just thinking, "can we move along?"

Maybe the fact that the first season is just so light harms the impact of the second season. The stakes of the first season never seem that high, so the second season dropping into all that heaviness didn't feel as sincere as it might have.

I haven't watched any of it in quite a while though, maybe I should revisit it and see if I get anything more out of it. Or just read the manga instead since I hear that's been completed now.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah, I think "it fell flat" is a good way to summarize my thoughts on the original when I first saw it. TSR was definitely heavier but I don't know that I enjoyed it any more that the first season, mostly because of all the existential angst I had to watch. I mean, I feel like it was necessary for him to go through that period of uncertainty but the whole time I was just thinking, "can we move along?"

Maybe the fact that the first season is just so light harms the impact of the second season. The stakes of the first season never seem that high, so the second season dropping into all that heaviness didn't feel as sincere as it might have.

I haven't watched any of it in quite a while though, maybe I should revisit it and see if I get anything more out of it. Or just read the manga instead since I hear that's been completed now.

I highly recommend reading FMP Sigma, it finished around a month ago and the plot definitely kicks into overdrive right after TSR ended.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DamnGlitch posted:

Also, the first fmp is an interesting idea executed poorly. Fumafuu is pretty amusing, though it veers too far toward silly at times. Second raid is loving awesome and it's a major bummer there isn't more in that vein / that the first season wasn't by them.

FMP is a weird series. The way I see it, there isn't that significant a difference between the first season and Second Raid; the important thing is that any time robots are on the screen it's boring as poo poo, but the relationship drama and basically any situation where Sousuke tries to act like a normal person are the best.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

For a good character driven sci-fi show, since I don't think I've seen it recommended yet, maybe the Crest/Banner of the Stars series? The anime is a little more recent than your timeframe, but I think it might fit the bill for what you want!

I did enjoy Crest (after your recommendation)! Good all round show, with an evidently deep lore and well though out sci-fi setting. It integrates a teenage romance into a classical space opera without compromising either. Episode 5 ("The Battle of Gosroth") was fantastic. The middle probably dragged on a bit more than it should, but on the other hand there were moments were I appreciated the show taking its time (episode 5 could have easily been relegated to a single 5 minute scene).

I considered checking out the original novels, but apparently they're poorly translated (according to Amazon reviews).

Also I wonder what the story is behind the American pop song playing during the epilogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncakqjoH-hY

I hope Banner is just as good.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

but the relationship drama and basically any situation where Sousuke tries to act like a normal person are the best.

And that's why everyone should watch Fumoffu. It is so good. Get the English dub, if you can, but just watch it.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Smornstein posted:

I've been wanting to check out more of Key's anime since i loved Clannad and After Story but apart from that all i've seen on netflix's streaming options was Angel Beats and that was okay but didn't really hit me in the heart like Clannad did. Are any of the older Key titles worth watching?

I liked Kanon (2006) and Air TV both quite a bit more than Clannad. Kanon much, much more. It honestly confuses me why Clannad is near universally thought of so highly over the other Key stuff. It's a good show, but there's really not much great about it until the last bit, which matters when it's 48 episodes. Air kind of has the same problem, but it's much shorter. If you loved all of it you'll probably like Kanon a lot, and if you really liked the ending, you'll like Air, I guess?

These can be pretty hit or miss, but both are definitely worth a shot if you liked Clannad.

Little Busters is a garbage adaptation, feel free to ignore it unless you want to play the original game.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 22, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

FMP is a weird series. The way I see it, there isn't that significant a difference between the first season and Second Raid; the important thing is that any time robots are on the screen it's boring as poo poo, but the relationship drama and basically any situation where Sousuke tries to act like a normal person are the best.
The robots themselves are not particularly special, but I will say that I found myself pretty invested in Sousuke's character arc in the "serious" books. But its nature isn't forecasted all that much in the first season so "all" he has really going for him at that point is the comedy sections.

Keyboard Kid posted:

I liked Kanon (2006) and Air TV both quite a bit more than Clannad. Kanon much, much more. It honestly confuses me why Clannad is near universally thought of so highly over the other Key stuff. It's a good show, but there's really not much great about it until the last bit, which matters when it's 48 episodes.
Besides I guess Nagisa ironically enough, I don't think there's an arc in the first season of CLANNAD that's worse than any one arc in Kanon 2006. There is a little bit of fluff in the second season right before AS hits, but it's pretty short. So qualitatively I would say that pre-AS CLANNAD is as good as if not slightly better than Kanon 2006 in most respects. And then of course it hits After Story and it gets way better.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

TARDISman posted:

I highly recommend reading FMP Sigma, it finished around a month ago and the plot definitely kicks into overdrive right after TSR ended.

It appears to start exactly where TSR started. I'm assuming the manga continues past where TSR ends?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Che Delilas posted:

It appears to start exactly where TSR started. I'm assuming the manga continues past where TSR ends?

Manga goes all the way to the light novel ending.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Rinkles' list of cyber punk'ish anime got me thinking (Thanks for the list, Bubblegum Crisis is giving me similar vibes as Cyber City Oeda did) that I have a boner for pretty much anything involving large cities. The more visuals of a large metropolis, the better. If it relates well to the plot and gives the city a proper feeling of a living, breathing city, even better. A wide use of the scenery and setting particular to a metropolis is a plus. Seen this done in Patlabor and GITS a lot - Making the city an additional character, if you will.

I've watched everything there is about GITS. Psycho-Pass kind of fits the deal as well - I've watched it. I think I've watched everything there is to watch about Patlabor, as well.

Off topic (But to be fair this wouldn't fit TV IV), but as I understand any live action coming from Japan is terrible/not subtitled? I'd totally watch a buddy cop series situated in Tokyo or similar city that doesn't constantly recycle stock footage of aerial views to "establish it's situated in place X" (CSI - as if it wasn't terrible to begin with - is the worst possible offender of this).

TL;DR: Living in a small town (in comparison) I have a huge boner for anything involving large metropolises. Any recommendations?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Dessel posted:

Rinkles' list of cyber punk'ish anime got me thinking (Thanks for the list, Bubblegum Crisis is giving me similar vibes as Cyber City Oeda did) that I have a boner for pretty much anything involving large cities. The more visuals of a large metropolis, the better. If it relates well to the plot and gives the city a proper feeling of a living, breathing city, even better. A wide use of the scenery and setting particular to a metropolis is a plus. Seen this done in Patlabor and GITS a lot - Making the city an additional character, if you will.

I've watched everything there is about GITS. Psycho-Pass kind of fits the deal as well - I've watched it. I think I've watched everything there is to watch about Patlabor, as well.

I feel the same way and I highly recommend tekkon kinkreet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Dessel posted:

large cities.

Durarara!!, Tiger and Bunny, or Index/Railgun might work for you.

• Locked thread