Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I decided to give Crunchy Roll a shot and have been watching a few shows I haven't seen in a while or never finished. Air Master being one and it's as ridiculous and fun as I remember it. A shame they never released the rest of the show on DVD, as I still have the first few volumes. I highly recommend it if you want an action show that doesn't take itself seriously at all. Also started Akagi again since I haven't seen that since it was first coming out. Did he ever beat Washizu in the manga or is that poo poo still going on? How long has he been battle him? Like a decade at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Akagi is really weird because I watched the anime like a year or two back and now I'm into the live action version but I still have no idea how mahjong works

That's the genius of the show. I have no idea what any of that Mahjong poo poo is but the reactions and dramatic effect sell that it was some serious poo poo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does the "anime" of Knights of Sidonia get any better or more interesting? I'm about 5 episodes in and the only thing that's at all interesting to me is the setting even then it has elements I don't care for. The action isn't really doing much for me either. The cell animation is really distracting, I can't get over how stiff and stilted it is. Nihei sure can do some weird sci-fi but I see that he still hasn't come up with compelling characters.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only bad thing about the later episodes is Rock starts to go against the action grain of things and developers some sort of morality and it becomes annoying. 80's action people didn't have morality it just so happens they were pitted against human garbage. But it's a fantastic show. I mean, the leader of the triads is literally Chow Yun-Fat's character from A Better Tomorrow and he's the king of cool.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The first season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is a fun loose procedural. Well, any episode dedicated to the through-arc but even then the stand-alone cases are drat good too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Patlabor is fantastic. You can't go wrong with either the first two movies, the anime series or the OVA series. All of them are top-notch.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I wonder if oshii knows he broke my heart when he had noa say she didn't want to be known as the labor otaku girl forever

Just pretend it didn't happen, like I am with that live action trainwreck Patlabor show.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've been going through the 2011 HunterxHunter series and I've been enjoying it a lot. It subverts a lot of shounen expectations, for better or for worse. It's a really fun show to check out if the person is new to anime. Come October there will be One-Punch Man which will be the ultimate anime series, so check out that one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This is from the One-Punch Man thread and a reason why you should be keeping an eye on the anime:

http://www.mp4upload.com/xnr19lg02oym

October can't come soon enough.

• Locked thread