Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any good tense gambling anime/manga on the level of Kaiji/Zero? Abstract gambles or standard ones really.

e: The more tense the better.
There's Akagi, which I believe was made by the team that made Kaiji and features some of the ballsiest Mahjong you're ever likely to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Corte posted:

-mysterious pasts that you learn about over the length of the show
-interesting and complex characters
-smooth over-arcing plot that doesn't always dominate the story but has some substance to it
-good balance between comedy, action and emotional moments
-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes
-great music
Aside from comedy elements, Monster fits this and is excellent

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ViggyNash posted:

Can someone recommend me a random thing? I'm not sure what I want to watch right now since I've watched most of the shows I've been interested in.

Fantastic Children is one of the most underrated series imo, I really love it and never see anyone mention it. Fantasy/sci-fi/mystery show with a great plot that comes together brilliantly

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Chas McGill posted:

Surprised more people haven't mentioned Chihayafuru as a great recent show. I'm not as enamoured with it as a lot of people, but it's one of the best 'new' things I've seen and definitely one of the best sports animes out there.

I'm currently in the mood for an anime where the location plays a big role - more than just a backdrop. There should be a sense of geography. Although Apollon wasn't set in a bustling city, I had a solid sense of where the different places the characters visited were in relation to the others, and of course there was the titular hill. I felt the same feeling in Tatami Galaxy (possibly helped by its iterative narrative) and Welcome to the NHK. No coincidence that both of those shows have a thematic emphasis on being stuck in time and space, I suppose. I guess I like the idea of watching a show where it feels like the characters are inhabiting a neighbourhood rather than a collection of stage backdrops.

Eccentric Family is scratching the itch somewhat due to its use of authentic locations, but I've run out of episodes.

Did you watch Aku no Hana, by chance? It only finished recently but one of the major themes is of the main characters being stuck in their dead end town and school and hating it completely. It was extremely polarising, but I think it's one of the best things I've seen for ages and ages. Also notable for rotoscoped animation, which again was very polarising.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Insurrectionist posted:

Simoun is a Good Show and one that definitely deserves to be watched IMO. It DID have one of the worst first episodes relative to overall quality I've ever seen though - the kissing thing was pushed hard for some inexplicable reason, it has an incredibly impressive amount of techno/magicbabble that should have been spread out more or introduced better, and the plot for the episode centers on one of the MC's personal tragedy, at a point before we have any real reason to care about them or their woes (it IS important to more characters, and the overall plot, but it tends to put people off the MC in my experience). Episode 4 was pretty much when I decided the show was bringing poo poo to the table that I really liked.

As the sole person putting it on their ADTRW top 5 shows of the previous decade if I recall correctly (at #1 above Baccano, deserving nothing less :colbert:) I feel obliged to hawk it.

E: The biggest barrier for making a recommendation for it is the combination of bad first episode, an art-style that can be somewhat of an acquired taste, and the fact that a LOT of the things I'll praise it for doing are very hard to talk about without giving out huge spoilers which kind of ruins the point.
I really really liked Simoun, and I agree it's sort of hard to recommend because of the weird kissing thing and the fact that a lot of what's good about it is spoilers. But yes, episode 4 was really great and I also remember thinking at that point "this is a genuinely good show". It also has beautiful music and backdrops as well as a solid and well told story.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hello goons, I'm sort of getting back into anime and am looking for things to watch. I don't know exactly what I'm after so I feel like it might be easier to just say what I like so here it is. I like mysterious and/or dark plot with twists. I like sci-fi and fantasy, but particularly real world or dystopian. I really like it when shows have a unique or unusual art style and/or when they are generally quite atypical compared to other anime (some of my favourites are Monster, Aku no Hana and Tatami Galaxy, all of which I think of as quite "different"). I like things to be ambitious in some way, be it cinematographically or musically or story wise. idk. If any of this sounds like a show you like then tell me, by no means am I looking for a perfect match.

Here are some other things I've really enjoyed which might not entirely fit that description but probably do to an extent:

Fantastic Children
Madoka Magica
Simoun
Serial Experiments Lain

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm hankering after some good cyberpunk thing to watch. In my stupid head I'm imagining a cross between Akira, Serial Experiments Lain and Blade Runner. I know this doesn't exist, but what is there that's close-ish? Bonus points for being atmospheric

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I just got Netflix and am looking at the anime selection on it. It's pretty slim, and I've actually not really heard of most of the shows - are they all bad? Specifically I'm looking at Knights of Sidonia, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, My Little Monster, Space Dandy and Kotoura-san. Are any of these remotely worth watching?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

TARDISman posted:

I can't even find Space Dandy on Netflix, is it in some secret land with all the other fun poo poo?

It's on UK Netflix, in a secret land with a lot of terrible poo poo

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Maybe you should check out some scenes from Aku no Hana? It's interesting/different because it was filmed with live actors and then rotoscoped to look like anime, which may not be what you're looking for but is pretty unique and would certainly deserve a look in a more in depth class. Off the top of my head episode 7 has the best scene of the show, but it might be something you'd only appreciate having seen the build up towards it. The end of episode 11 has a dream sequence that is very atmospheric and beautiful and worth watching on its own

Also interesting in the sense that they took a typically drawn manga and did something very different with it, which resulted in a lot of people thinking it was lovely garbage because they wanted it to look generic and like every other show

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 28, 2015

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

VolticSurge posted:

Any links for The Genius?

All of the first season is on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/BumdidlyumptiousSubs

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I tried to watch Cowboy Bebop recently and couldn't get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

a kitten posted:

Yomiko owns

and practically the first thing she does is take out a giant monster using nothing more than some paper ribbon.

za peipaa

I remember really enjoying the OVA actually

• Locked thread