Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mors Rattus posted:

I am looking for so-bad-it's-funny shows about animals. I do a pretty regular anime night with my friends, and we've had Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and Ginga Densetsu Weed, and they want more shows to fill Dog Slot when Weed ends. Shows about dogs are preferred but not necessary; one of them has suggested Samurai Pizza Cats, for example.

Age and animation quality are not considerations here. We just want stupid anime about animals to laugh at.

Polar Bear Cafe (Shirokuma Cafe) comes to mind immediately. The anime aired just last year, it is quite stupid, laid back, and laugh-at-and-or-with-able.

fake edit: I guess it ran for 50 episodes and ended just last week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I've been told I had a weird start to anime.

My first ever anime was the movie Redline. The style was really cool, but the story was meh.

I then proceded to watch Akira (HOLY gently caress), the Iron Man anime (does this count, I'm not sure), the first 2 Eva movies (umm, it was cool, I think, but really weird) Spirited Away (decent overall), and GITS (the original version; amazing, but short).

More recently I've watched Jormungand (it had potential but was always subpar), Gurren Lagaan (HOLY gently caress ^ HOLY gently caress), Black Lagoon (drat good, but I felt like it never really got anywhere).

I watched Cowboy Bebop only this weekend, and it really did not meet expectations. It was well done with great characters and action, but the overarching story lacked consistency between seasons and I found much of the second season to be boring. The ending also didn't meet my overblown expectation. It felt shallow and sensationalized.

Right after that, I watched Steins;Gate, and holy gently caress was I glad I did. It had a brilliant plot supported by the perfect rate of progression and an intertwined drama. Not only was each character interesting and exceptionally well defined, but their progression throughout the show in accordance to the various events was exactly what you would expect from their individual personalities.

The last anime I've watched was The Melancholy of of Haruhi Suzumiya, which felt like a more lighthearted version of Steins;Gate that focused more on the characters' interactions.

Now why have I posted all of this? Because I have no idea what to watch next. I'd like to stay away from actiony stuff (since much of what I've watched has been that) and much of the stuff that I've watched so far was at the suggestion of a friend of mine. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I'd prefer something with a good story, but suggestions?

E: I forgot to add Nichijou in there.

How about Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood? FMA is one of the defining story-driven series of anime in the past decade.

Also, the reason why you sensed inconsistency between seasons of Cowboy Bebop is because 1) its supposed to be episodic and 2) it actually is two seasons jammed into one and mixed around.

The first airing of Cowboy Bebop on TV had to be edited due to censorship laws, so the season was cobbled together with the least violent episodes, centered around the Jupiter Jazz two part story. Afterwards they were able to show the full series, with the stories and episodes from the first showing put into their proper place (w.r.t. the in-story timeline), but you can tell the difference between first season acceptable episodes and full season episodes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I was actually looking for something just like that. Though after Fate/Zero some cheesy fun my suit me better for the time being, so I'll probably check it out later.

When I switched from the dub to the sub, I could have sworn that Kyon's VA was the same person speaking a different language. Of course that isn't true but the nuances of the VA were so similar that I was confused at first. And I agree the GitS dub is fantastic. I honestly couldn't imagine any of the characters speaking Japanese anymore. It would just feel wrong.

The Haruhi dub also did something I'm not sure has ever been done before or since: words and sentence structures were adjusted to make "more sense" given the episodes in story chronological order, where the original Japanese makes more sense in the Haruhi TV broadcast order. So you could watch the series from 4 angles, two episode orders in two languages.

Obviously this did not happen again for the second season.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

DerLeo posted:

I'm not sure I get this: they rewrote the dialogue as if the broadcast order was linear?

Right, because there is no broadcast order for the English dub, only the order which the DVDs played the episodes.

ViggyNash posted:

So the dialog was rewritten slightly to make sense in chronological order rather than broadcast order? But the episodes themselves would have been written assuming proper chronology anyway right? Give an example of it because I'm not really seeing the difference.

It happens during Kyon's monologues, when he makes a reference back to something that had already been shown, but not necessarily happened yet chronologically. Sometimes in the Japanese he's making a reference to something that already happened chronologically but hasn't been shown yet, while in English he's just explaining something that's already happened.

I don't have specific examples, but I think episodes 4 and 7 should provide examples of both of the above cases, respectively.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I've been enjoying Daughter of 20 Faces. It's...well, I think it fits this.

(Plus, there are cameos by the Ratte and the Spruce Goose.)

Fair warning: Daughter of 20 faces goes sour fast, like after a single-digit number of episodes, and it's bad enough that I wouldn't lump it in with the examples given.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Watch One Piece with your kid? Sometimes the answer does not have to be complex.

As for recommendations, I find it odd that you, or anyone ever, would even give BTOOOM a chance, it's really throwing a curveball in what to recommend, especially if you are looking for action with minimal fanservice :psyduck:

Watch the second episode of Mushishi. It should clearly define if you want to watch the rest immediately or keep it on your backlog.

Sports: How about Hajime no Ippo? Boxing or not it's a good show with plenty of episodes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

It's possible he thought the main character was a girl from his short height and long blonde hair, and the suit of armor (younger brother) is voiced by a woman.

Original and Brotherhood are different enough to give both a watch, especially since watching the :wtc: movie is all part of the FMA experience, but if you had to choose just one then yea go with Brotherhood.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mentioning you dislike the "poor treatment" of female characters but want action-y stuff but didn't like Cowboy Bebop leaves the following list of anime:
-

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Well okay, maybe the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs, for vampires and nazi zombie fun. It's up on Youtube et al.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Of course there's often going to be a debate about "poor treatment" of female characters in a particular series; the topic is a consistent way to open a :can:.

:thejoke:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Tarodia posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking for some musical anime! Something with a plot that revolves around performing, making music, or even the industry in general. I love Beck and Kids on the Slope, so don't suggest those. I thought Detroit Metal City was just ok. Any genre is fine, though I'm not particularly fond of idol/jpop stuff. I'll still give a show about that stuff a chance though, if y'all think it's especially good.

Any genre? You sure? Try NANA for maximum shoujo drama and punk rock.

But yea there isn't really much out there for music anime.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Katanagatari Episode 2 down - If nobody minds, I think I might keep posting my trip report in here.

-Schichika then launches himself backwards to avoid Uneri's attack, then pinballs off of Togame's face to move back in. What a badass!!:swoon::allears::swoon:

This was the exact episode and scene that finally made me learn how to make custom timing animated GIFs.

Fun historical note: as the show was airing there were lots of dissenting opinions on the art style. Anime was really homogenized 5 years ago (more than anime is by default) and Katanagatari was one of the first to present a style that was familiar yet different.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Me and my buddies have a weekly anime night, and this year we decided to do theme months. Giant Robot January, Fantasy February, and now we've decided it's Magical Girl March. I know basically nothing about the genre, so what are some good magical girl movies/OVAs/episodic series?

Whatever you choose, I hope next month is Your Lie In April April

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

new classification: magical girl shounen

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Is this good because I think I'm down for whatever it is

Good so far
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692700

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Endorph posted:

what's boring is people getting into a righteous circlejerk every time wickedhate says anything at all

yea, it's boring being right all the time, people should switch it up and agree with wickedhate every once in a while

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

goons ... hate things ... and are mean about it?!?! :monocle:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

Anyone know something that's similar to "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU"?
I like the main character who is a really clever outcast/loner.

Allarion posted:

Hyouka and Haruhi if you want your typical loner main character.

In the chance that you'd seen these, there is also Saekano (How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend) from last season, and The World God Only Knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Allarion posted:

Have you seen Excel Saga by any chance? That might be closer in tone to PSG. Granted I haven't seen it in a decade so maybe it hasn't aged well or it's worse than I recall.

I watched it for the first time well after it came out, and it has aged surprisingly well.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Is the story as over the top and funny like PSG?

Different, but yes.

• Locked thread