Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I created a page for Hanasaku Iroha, but I'm terrible at writing, so I left the Main description blank. If someone's up for it, a description would be great to have.

On a tangentially related note, there are a bunch of shows I see recommended here that don't have a wiki page, Rose of Versailles, for instance. The wiki is a great centralized source for recommendations, so if you hadn't before, consider making a page or writing your opinion. I'll appreciate it. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Blhue posted:

The Aria series (Aria the Animation, the Natural, and the Origination) is basically the chillest goddamn thing I've ever seen.

There's also Aria the OVA: Arietta, which takes place between Natural and Origination. Along the same lines, Sketchbook ~full color's~ is similarly paced, and also extremely chill.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Blhue posted:

The Aria series, Hidamari Sketch

These are my absolute top picks for shows that just give me warm fuzzy feelings inside. Along the same lines, the recently finished Yama no Susume is very similar in terms of feel. I wouldn't recommend marathoning it though. As tempting as it is with the short episodes, it does work better if you take some time between each episode.

If you want a happy comedy, then I'd highly recommend Squid Girl/Ika Musume.

Blhue posted:

K-on! is objectively a pretty good show if you like slice of life comedy, but its success is largely to blame for the fact that we get like 4 Moe-blob "3-6 cute girls in a club doing cute things" shows a season now, so it gets a lot of poo poo for that.
Yeah. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dreadful_Dinosaur posted:

e: I'm also looking for a show that is heart-wrenching and depressing. Something that's NOT Clannad, Air, or any of those other terrible shows staffed by Key. The show I'm looking for is more along the lines of Shadow Star or Now and Then, Here and there, which are two of my favourite manga and anime, respectively.

I haven't seen it, but I've seen Grave of the Fireflies come up frequently as a depressing anime.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bertilak posted:

Additionally, my roommate has taken a real shine to slice of life shows like Azumanga Daioh and K-on, and he asked me to ask you what other shows like those are out there. Thank you in advance.

For a comedic slice of life show, I'd recommend Shinryaku! Ika Musume (Squid Girl). There's something about Ika Musume's naivety that makes everything work really well.

I'd also recommend Minami-ke. The first season is good, the second (Okawari) is bad, and the third (Okaeri) was alright, but not as good as the first. From what I've seen, the most recent (Tadaima) has elicited some mixed reviews, but I found it to be better than the third season.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

Digimon Tamers stands on its own. It's it's own series - the other two seasons before it are referenced as existing as cartoons in its universe, actually.

There's one character who's a reference to a wonderswan game, but I'm pretty sure it was one that was only ever released in Japan, since, y'know, wonderswan, and he works fine as a character without understanding that.

I've often thought about re-watching Digimon for nostalgia's sake. I remember watching Adventure, Adventure 2, and Tamers every Saturday morning as a kid. If some of them actually hold up, that'll be pretty nice.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've got a different kind of request. What are some good short anime? I watched Yama no Susume and Inferno Cop from last season. Outside of those, though, I haven't seen any. I'm just a bit curious about what 3 minute anime are out there.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

TARDISman posted:

So I just finished Zeta Gundam and Black Rock Shooter and I decided I need something remotely cheerful. Any suggestions for slice of life/romance series with a decent English dub? I've already seen Clannad, Azumanga Daioh, and Lucky Star, so that's a bit of a sampling of what I enjoy.

Squid Girl is a ton of fun, and has a decent English dub. It's not one I'd normally recommend, but if you want a dub, it's not too bad. The VA for Goro, the lifeguard, is actually pretty good.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya might suit you. Don't bother with the second season though.
This also has a really great English dub. Its dub is one that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend alongside the original Japanese.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

berenzen posted:

So I just blew through the entirety of Madoka Magica, and while it was really loving good, I'm kinda :smith:ed over it. Any recommendations on something a little bit more upbeat/uplifting? I don't think I want to go through something quite as dark that right now.

My go to anime when I need an emotional pick me up are ARIA, and Hidamari Sketch. They both have some really feel good stories that never fail to cheer me up. You might be interested in the latter because Ume Aoki did the character designs for both it and Madoka.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

TARDISman posted:

In my experience I find it best to watch up to about episode 25 or 26 of the 2003 series, then switch to Brotherhood episode 11. They cover roughly the same amount of time in the storyline, there's just a few 2003 anime exclusive characters that won't show up again.

I don't remember who said it, but someone else recommended something similar. I took a note of it for when I watch it myself.

quote:

When I recommended FMA/Brotherhood to a friend when Brotherhood ended, I told them to watch 1-27 of the original and then continue with episode 12 of Brotherhood. This apparently worked out pretty well.

I personally thought Brotherhood's pacing of those first ~26 episodes [first 12 of Brotherhood] was very poor, removing some essential time for character development and ruining some important, dramatic scenes.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

Baccano, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Tiger & Bunny, FMA: Brotherhood, Steins;Gate, just to name a few that I'd recommend. That said, these days almost any dub at all is going to be perfectly fine. This isn't the 90s, where dubbing was incredibly hit or miss and sometimes a show just got completely butchered.

There are some others in the OP of the English Dub thread. I'd add to that Ghost in the Shell, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I've tried to get some of my friends to watch the dub of the latter, but they're all stupid, and can't accept that it might even be decent.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

akarin posted:

indeed, i've seen them. valium is helping. any other?

Yama no Susume (Encouragement of Climb)
Sketchbook ~full color's~

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Stalins Moustache posted:

I've never really watched any Slice of Life animes(except for Azumanga Daioh many years ago if that counts). I asked a friend of mine if she would recommend something and she told me to watch Hanasaku Iroha, but I'm not really sure if I should because it just looks so incredibly bland. Should I watch it?
And in the same case, any recommendations for any good slice of life animes?

Slice of life is a really broad blanket term. A lot of them are slower paced like Hanasaku Iroha, which is usually what comes to mind when I hear the term. If you want a slice of life comedy, then definitely look at Nichibros, which is ridiculous, and ridiculously funny. For a couple that are closer to Azumanga Daioh, I'd recommend checking out Ika Musume/Squid Girl, and the first and fourth seasons of Minami-ke.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

tonberrytoby posted:

It never was good. It has some ideas and elements that could have made a good show great, and that get explored much to little.

Yeah. I watched the first season, and I can say that while it was better than the concept made it out to be, it wasn't good. I didn't feel like watching the second season, even before hearing about how it just got worse.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ViggyNash posted:

The first episode didn't seem like a great introduction, but the second episode is quite entertaining. I'll probably keep going.
The second episode gave me one of my favourite gifs from the show.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

jonjonaug posted:

The manga, the two movies directed by Mamoru Oshii, Stand Alone Complex, and Arise are all separate continuities with mostly the same setting and main characters. Around here Stand Alone Complex is usually considered to be the best of them.

What's the general consensus on Solid State Society?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't know how anyone can have a favourite SAC character, even if there are definitely some less amazing characters at least half of the cast is way too interesting / awesome to rate any one of them as the best.

I know. Having to choose which tachikoma is too hard.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for something generally upbeat and funny? I picked up Welcome to the NHK, Serial Experiments Lain and Paranoia Agent around the same time, and something tells me watching them together probably isn't good for your mental health. Before anyone suggests them, I've seen Azumanga Daioh, Nichijou, Excel Saga, and Gurren Lagaan.

After Nichibros, check out Panty and Stocking, and Squid Girl.

StandardVC10 posted:

Hidamari Sketch is very chilled out and optimistic.
Hidamari Sketch isn't always laugh out loud funny, but it never fails to fill me with warm, fuzzy feelings.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I guess Soronowoto/Sound of the Sky is a magical girl drama as well, but it's really slow paced and very chill. It's probably the only Post-Apoc thing I can think of that's extremely positive about the future, which is sort of a unique angle.

Mind explaining your reasoning for saying Sora no Woto is a magical girl show? I really don't see it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Seanightjar posted:

Looking for something similar to Mushi-shi in the story per episode and interesting setting way.

Definitely try Kino's Journey

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ViggyNash posted:

I went Ghibli > Redline > Eva so him starting with FLCL early on isn't nearly as strange.
Maybe not strange, but when he explicitly says he doesn't want something wacky, and you recommend him something that is, and something he said he didn't like, those are bad recommendations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Do yourself a favour, and just listen to the soundtrack. It's the best part of hack//sign by a good margin.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
For Bebop, I don't have a particular preference for the dub over subs. I'd say get both, and choose one to watch through with. Then for your second viewing, watch the other.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

How about a good comedy anime? I'm planning on buying a lot and so far the stuff on my list is a lot of fighting and action, and I want to have a more varied collection.

If you're specifically looking for anime that's been released, there's Nichibros, and Panty and Stocking. I'd recommend them anyway if you weren't looking for stuff that's been released stateside.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Somewhat in contrast to these recommendations, I'm looking for something that's just very uplifting. Something in the vein of Aria, or Sketchbook ~full color's~. I've enjoyed Sound of the Sky, and Hidamari Sketch. While it seems like a good fit, I found Strawberry Marshmallow too sickeningly cute.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Blhue posted:

Try Tamayura (its second season just aired too) or Ikoku Meiro No Croisee. The former is basically Sketchbook with a smaller cast and a photography theme. The latter is a SoL show about a young Japanese girl living in 19th century France.

I looked up Tamayura, and it sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. As a plus, it features one of my favourite VAs.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Sounds like you're looking for "iyashi-kei" (healing) shows.
I hadn't heard of the term before, so I googled it, and found this blog post. Thanks for giving me a name to this genre of anime/manga.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's been too long without one, so I made a wiki page for The Devil is a Part-Timer. Feel free to add your opinions, or rewrite my description.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

dmboogie posted:

I just finished watching Mushishi, and I'm looking for another anime to fill the void left by it. Is there anything else with a similar style, tone, or just a general chill tone?

Try Kino's Journey.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kaleid Stardust posted:

The Hidamari Sketch Graduation OVA is out so everyone should watch it. Unless of course you haven't seen Hidamari Sketch, in which case: what the gently caress, bro?

But seriously, watch it. The OVA even has (Minor spoilers) lesbian blowjobs.

What fansubs did you watch? It's been a while since I watched anything not released on CR, and I don't know who's good.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Black Stones posted:

Watch/Read Hidamari Sketch because it's amazing.
Absolutely seconded.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cake Attack posted:

I have a habit of catching up on anime over the winter break, and so I'm curious as to what people thought the standouts of 2013 were.

Let's not forget the least animated anime ever: Inferno Cop.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I made a page for Love Lab, my favourite comedy of this summer, so if you liked it, you too can post your opinions for the internet to see.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ninety posted:

Anime tends to go all-out for the music used in its OPs and EDs, but what are some shows with excellent overall soundtracks? I'm especially interested in shows that have music that really compliments or matches the animation instead of just kinda being overlaid onto it, but good music is good music.

Aria has some very nice mood setting music. The music is really good at reinforcing how relaxed life is in Neo-Venezia.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah. Another show with good music is .hack//sign. Bear in mind that the music is the only good thing about it, though.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
General recommendation time. You should watch The Eccentric Family so that you can add your opinions on the wiki. Feel free to edit my description, because I'm not sure it does the show justice.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Watuhboy posted:

I'm looking for something optimistic and uplifting, in the same vein as non non biyori and hidamari sketch (which I'm just finishing up)

Aria, Sound of the Sky, Sketchbook ~full color's~, and Tamayura are all very uplifting anime that share a similar tone and feel with those two.

Edit: beaten because of links.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't know if there is a commonly agreed best entry to watch, but you can't go wrong with the first movie, then SAC. I strongly recommend you watch SAC before Innocence (the second movie) though.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure the only thing worth watching with super sonico is that saints row 3 trailer.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cake Attack posted:

Okay, so it's time to study for finals, and I've found that reading manga whenever I take a study break instead of just browsing SA or something makes it all go by easier. So I'm looking for stuff to read. More specifically, I don't want anything especially complicated/dense or dark, since the idea is to relax a little.

I think you should look at YKK, and Aria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

I don't know what an SoL is.

Slice of Life. Off the top of my head, GJ-bu, Love Lab, Silver Spoon S1, Servant X Service, and Non Non Biyori were some really good ones that aired last year.

• Locked thread