Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

WHOAH THERE. Guilty Crown aired on NoitaminA, let's not say anything we can't take back now.

(Also, Fractale)

Hey, the first two episodes of Fractale weren't as bad as the first two episodes of C or Guilty Crown!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Digimon Tamers sounds incredibly intriguing - does it stand alone or do I have to watch two seasons of boring-sounding stuff?

ViggyNash posted:

Ah, so the time travel is simply an event to drive the discussion going on.

I think so. Nothing confusing, just humour, depression, great animation, and one of the best endings I've ever seen.

Saturday Mornings posted:

1) This might be vague, but I would like to watch/read anything about characters having an adventure/traveling. It could be a grand quest, aimless wandering, just showing up when needed, or just having a "home base" of sorts and being deployed to new places. If there's action, awesome, but I don't mind a chill anime either: Mushi-Shi and Kino's Journey are some of my favorite shows ever.

A bit obvious, but what about Mononoke? (Not the Ghibli film.) It's a lot like Mushishi, with a bit more action.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Guys, why didn't I like the two episodes of Baccano that I watched? I should love everything about it, really, but I don't. The opening theme creeps into my head and I find myself humming it while washing dishes or brushing the cat. Most of the characters are adults. It isn't set exclusively in a highschool. It's like the antithesis of all that I moan about in anime. Yet I don't love it. Maybe I was in the wrong mood when I tried it before.

I also didn't really like Durarara.

I wish my cat let me brush him. Anyway, sometimes I'm just not in the right mood for a series and drop it after an episode or two. Then I'll come back to it and love it. And sometimes, I just don't like something for no real reason. It's not a big deal.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I was just going to ask about Utena. I've just seen the film and it's obviously got a lot of gaps in. Is it a recap film? And should I watch the series or read the manga the film's based on?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Watch the series, it's the most famous incarnation.

The movie doesn't have anything to do with the TV series' plot, it's an alternate universe sort of deal.

That's really confusing then. Thanks, though!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I remember Hanasaku Iroha being a series with guests kidnapping the staff, a heron wandering around attacking people, and pretend soldiers fighting over the inn. Not my idea of bland. Did it all go wrong after I dropped it?

Does anyone know a realistic series about pregnancy? I was reading Spotted Flowers, which isn't quite what I was looking for - an otaku sex comedy instead of a drama - but I got a geeky pleasure from seeing it mention 4D scans.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't realise Ame and Yuki had been subbed, thanks.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

That is a pretty difficult question, because manga's not a genre, it's a medium (obviously) - so it's your call as to whether that means heroes in manga full stop, or superheroes in manga. What's more interesting to him?

tonberrytoby posted:

Your list is very specific for Anime in America. But that might be what you are intending.
An even there you are basically missing the last generation of Anime with Dragonball or Sailormoon.
In Japan the most recognizable and popular Anime characters are almost certainly Doraemon and Nobita.

For example here is a list where random Japanese persons were asked,instead of American fans of Anime:
http://www.japan-talk.com/jt/new/25-most-popular-japanese-cartoon-characters

And here's the top 20 superheroes: http://www.japan-talk.com/jt/new/20-greatest-Japanese-superheroes - most seem to be live-action Ultraman types, but Sailor Moon, Astroboy, and Son Goku are there. So is Spiderman.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Doesn't really matter, you can always recommend Chihayafuru.

ViggyNash posted:

Like I said, episode 2 was great.

I think at the end of the day what puts me off about the show is that it feels dated. It doesn't have as much of the charm that Nichijou and Daily Lives did.

I know what you mean about dated, the animation isn't very good, but lack of charm? The music is fantastic, too, and quite often carries the gags.

Edit for an actual recommendation: Anyone have an opinion on Ghost Hunt?

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 15, 2013

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

There are some good cg moment in Rebuild, but 2.22 is particularly egregious when it comes to several really REALLY bad shots. Particularly some of the crowd shots in Tokyo 3 look more like faceless cg zombies than the faceless cg zombies in highschool of the dead. They are shambling, oddly gaited, and awful awful awful looking.

Gainax et all have done some really interesting and innovative things over the years to reduce time spent on animation, but cg is hardly novel or interesting.

That's an awfully nice way of putting it!

And to rerail: has anyone seen Ghost Hunt? How is it?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I saw it a long time ago, and my recollection is that it was fine, if nothing especially fantastic.

Mason Dixon posted:

Agreed. Though I think the last arc is actually pretty good.

Thanks, I think I'll skip it. I saw it in the shop for cheaper than a 1-cour show, so I guess it must have sold pretty badly.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

My favourite anime series is Slayers (although I've not watched the two most recent series, despite asking about them in the second or third post in this thread), so can anybody recommend something that might be similar to it, maybe something which includes humour (optionally) as well as adventure and doesn't drag on for ages?

I don't know if it's like Slayers, but have you seen Trigun? It's a planetary romance-Western, very strong on comedy at first, though it darkens quite quickly.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

RebBrownies posted:

So criteria: Completed, romantic or surreal, not too many episodes (none of this 500 episode bullshit). :h:

Fifthing The Tatami Galaxy, it's everything you're looking for. I really liked the romance aspect in the Planetes anime, although I can see why the characters get up peoples' noses. Kuragehime might fit the bill too; it's a manga and a faithful one-cour anime, and Bonnouji, manga only, a rather sweet romantic comedy. And have you seen Whisper of the Heart? It's a Ghibli film.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Precambrian posted:

Hello, ADTRW!

I don't have that much experience with anime. I remember Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid, and, thanks to an anime-loving roommate, I saw Gankutsuo. I'm somewhat familiar with contemporary anime like Redline, Puella Magica, and Panty and Stocking, but I haven't actually seen any of them. Basically, I'm coming to you guys blind.

So I recently saw Pacific Rim and really enjoyed it. But what I particularly liked about it was how the movie was very much Giant Robot High, with hallway fights, awkward cafeteria moments, crushes, etc. More importantly, this High School aesthetic helped give the film an optimistic sci-fi outlook. So that's what I'm looking for: Giant Robot High anime, doesn't have to be upbeat, but I would prefer something optimistic and aspirational. I assumed that Giant Robot High was one of those archetypal animes, but looking through your wiki, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've been told that there are Gundams that get close to that criteria, but I'm not sure how many Gundams there are. I've also been told that Evangelion isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I should check it out. Thoughts?

Don't watch Eva - or not for this reason, anyway - but Gurren Lagann is a safe bet. Pacific Rim also drew on monster films, and there's a thread on those in Cinema Discusso.

I've just finished watching Trigun and felt the last third or so was very rushed - is the manga better in this respect? And is there another series whose director was so addicted to symmetrical compositions, or was I just seeing things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

RubberLuffy posted:

Trigun+Trigun Maximum is 17 volumes (3+14), and the anime only uses material from the first 3 or so. I vastly prefer how things go in the manga compared to the anime, but Nightow's art during action scenes ranges from "what?" to "complete incomprehensible clusterfuck".

No wonder it felt incoherent...

• Locked thread