Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Have you tried Eureka 7? The first half focuses more on the characters and setting up the world and story, but the second half has a good amount of loving the man.

Edit: and since I'm in the middle of it right now, how about Dunbine?

muike fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Poor Byston Well. Never had a chance.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I actually feel like Innocence is a better film overall, but I'm generally in the minority on that, and it's not based on much more than how I felt after watching Ghost in the Shell and Innocence back to back. I'm also a big Oshii dorkus.
There's some references from and cues to Innocence in SAC, but you'll live without knowing them if it's bothering you. I'd say it's worth watching for its own sake though. It's beautiful and the music is excellent as heck.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No, it's Kenji Kawai. Same as the first film iirc. Him and Mamoru Oshii are like my slam dunk dream team.

For the record, I did watch Innocence after already having seen Stand Alone Complex, so that's likely to affect my view of it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Eureka Seven is really good and if you don't like it I'm gonna be mad as heck.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Please get to Norb before you decide. Please.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try Big O.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nothing. E7AO basically took the setting and story of E7 and took a huge poo poo over it and its characters. It's almost as bad as the E7 movie.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bruc posted:

This may not be the best thread for it but is Eureka 7 AO worth watching if I enjoyed the original? I watched the first episode of it last night and didn't really know what to make of it.

Maybe you should try the movie instead! Just kidding, don't. Listen to AO's soundtrack though. One of the guys from Supercar did it, it's pretty tight

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you want maximum Urobuchi "quality" see Blassreiter. And with Ichiro Itano of Macross and...Angel Cop fame directing, how could it go wrong??

The answer: The first 66& is really good, the final act is horrible.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
mokyuun

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Roger sounds fine in The Big O, and I don't say that about many dub voices. The trouble is everyone else.

Beck, the Japanese businessmen, and Norman all compete pretty well with their Japanese language counterparts. I like Dorothy's english VA over the Japanese. I'm in agreement about everyone else.

e: Schwarzwald isn't bad either, but hey

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Actually, it's power armor :spergin: He used Arm Slave technology to turn a mascot costume into power armor.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think most people here saw that when they were like 12. Gundam Wing got me interested in the idea, but I wasn't super up on Gundam until cartoon network started airing 0079. I was pissed when they didn't finish the run, it was like 1979 all over agaaaaaain

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The thing with 08th MS Team is that every part other than Shiro and Aina is pretty solid but Shiro and Aina are like 97% of the ova

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really like Imagawa but G Gundam is definitely not his absolute best work by any stretch.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Finished up Texhnolyze recently. Anything else out there like that and Ergo Proxy? By the way would someone who knows more about Buddhism than me (i.e. anything at all) give me some insight into Texhnolyze?

In addition to that, I'm trying to find this anime based on one scene I caught on Cartoon Network many years ago. I remember kids in Japanese fox masks running around in a cyberpunk as gently caress city with neon lights everywhere playing hide and seek. There may have been a monster hunting them down. Anyone have an idea what I'm thinking of?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anything Chiaki Konaka worked on.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Goro Taneguchi is a great director, so whenever he puts out something that I think is bad I just go "wow, he must've had a total shitpile handed to him"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Can someone recommend something along the vein of Gasaraki or any other more realistic-styled robots? I don't like Flag and I've seen VOTOMS, so the Takahashi well is basically dried up for me at this point.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those are a bunch of good recommendations, thanks. I'm not a fan of Shirow, but when other people adapt his work I generally like it. I didn't know Blue Gender was Takahashi, and I've been meaning to get around to Dougram and MADOX.

hello i am vifam

edit: for what it's worth I'm not too worried about realism, just things that shy away from Video Game SciFi and a little closer to SciFI, I realize Gasaraki isn't a great example. Another show I enjoyed recently was Texhnolyze, and it shared a similar atmosphere to Ergo Proxy that I really enjoy. Anything somewhat dark without going into super edgy territory and science fictionish would be nice.

muike fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 12, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Captain Invictus posted:

On a scale of 1-10, how realistic would you say the Tachikoma from GITS:SAC are? Mechanically speaking, not necessarily AI-wise or anything.

Not recommending anything, just curious.

Realistic enough!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
O E D O

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

DamnGlitch posted:

Chiming in that tex might be good later but the first like ten episodes are some of the most boring Unentertaining things I've ever watched. One of the few anime I just couldn't bring myself to watch more of.

Give it a shot, but gitssac it ain't.

I actually really like all the episodes of Texhnolyze, but I'm a weirdo when it comes to poo poo like that. It felt almost like an anime version of an experimental late-nineties geocities collaborative video series or something.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Robert Denby posted:

"Dream Machine" ever being released or even finished is very iffy, which is a drat shame. There's been next to no information about it for a good two years now, though one of its producers says he hopes to have it finished by 2015.

It's somehow more likely than Nagano finishing Gothicmade, despite Satoshi Kon being dead. And yeah, I really do recommend checking out things Chiaki Konaka. He's one of the people whose name will attract me to something instantly.

Srice posted:

Gothicmade did finish and was in theaters late last year! It's just something that nobody paid attention to since it was out at around the same time Eva 3.33 was. Whoops!

Though the fact that there's no news about a dvd/blu-ray release worries me. I hope this isn't one of those cases where it takes years for the home video release, if it ever gets released at all.

As for Paranoia Agent, might as well get those used DVDs. There was a blu-ray release in Japan back in 2011 and nobody seemed interested in license rescuing it then, so I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon.

I'd be slightly embarrassed but I think Nagano should probably be more embarrassed

muike fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 30, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's like an entire arc of SAC crammed into a single episode, then stretched into a movie. It's alright.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It helps that it has one of the best gag moments in Ghost in the Shell.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Batou perched above a urinal like a bird of prey hunting for piss criminals would probably be a real good avatar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which moment's that? Been a while since I've seen Solid State Society.

Something I really loved was by the end of the second season, almost every character got at least one episode centered around them. I think the only one who didn't was Boma.

Togusa asks his wife to take a picture of his daughter while she's sleeping or something and Batou walks out of the elevator just in time to hear a really weird sentence fragment.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I almost wish Gatoh hadn't wasted his cool setting on high school hijinks in FMP but whatever. Chidori's a pretty cool character all things said.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try Texhnolyze. At least get through the first two or three episodes unless you immediately abhor it in every way, it's really strange and I love it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ran out of budget.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

DamnGlitch posted:

It's worth noting if you don't give a poo poo about e7, ao is pretty okay.

I think it's still pretty bad. It has great music though so it's okay to watch it for seeing some of the action music in context!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations! Interestingly enough while reading about how bad E7:AO is I accidentally spoiled myself and now am sort of intrigued at the time travel which ViggyNash mentioned. I did watch E7 many years ago and I can't really figure out what time travel has to do with that universe.

It doesn't, really.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ViggyNash posted:

Steins;Gate. Get on that right now. It was one of the best shows of 2011, which had plenty of other fantastic shows, and a personal all time favorite. Okabe is the best crappy mad scientist.

Chihayafuru is also an amazing show, but for very different reasons. I haven't seen other sports shows/manga so I can't comment on how it compares, but there's great balance between the sports drama and the character drama, with a lot of levity sprinkled in.

What I watched of Tiger and Bunny was ok, but I'm biased against superhero movies/shows. The only three superhero things that I really like are The Dark Knight, The Avengers, and the ongoing Gatchaman Crowds. I thought it was really silly, but I was told that I never got to what made it shine. But it's recommended enough that I'd say give it the 3-ep test at least.
??????

I can understand not liking Tiger and Bunny though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ViggyNash posted:

I meant T&B was silly (in my opinion), not Gatchaman Crowds. Crowds started off weird, but holy poo poo has it paid off.

I know what you meant, that was my point

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Texhnolyze and Ergo Proxy to the first part.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Kind of. Most of the OVAs, Last Red Shoulder and Big Battle aside, make Chirico into Space Wolverine Jesus, which is irksome. Merrowlink isn't great, but it's fun enough on its own. I haven't seen the newer ones, Phantom Arc and Alone Again. Case Irvine is like an alternate universe setting, I think. In short, give them a shot if you like the sound of it. At the very least, I think Pailsen Files had some nice action.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
For what it's worth I couldn't actually finish watching Shining Heresy because it was either really boring or my eyes rolled out of my head, I don't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think Miura started the manga perfectly. Big burly one armed dude missing an eye loving a lady. Suddenly she's a succubus and going to kill him. No, gently caress you, demon, you've fallen into my trap. Giant sword.

• Locked thread