Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Turns out my new job has an order od magnitude more downtime than I expected. Looking for some manga series to kill a couple of hours a day.

Death Note (1st half)
Lone Wolf and Cub
Hajime no Ippo
Kenichi
Chihayafuru
GTO
Sword Art Online

Dislikes:
Elfen Lied
Accel World

Can't remember much more off the top of my head. For anime, I prefer to watch things that seem to be targeted a bit older (Planetes, Spacebros, Nana, Black Heaven).

Suggestions welcome.

Try Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Liar Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Also, I love shows that have conventional plots, but with the main character being a horrible, broken person. Is there anything outside of Evangelion that's like that?

Fate/Zero?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dreadful_Dinosaur posted:

Seconding Utena, Black Lagoon, and Welcome to the NHK. Also, the Big O has a lot of plot weirdness and, in general, is a great show. There's also Dennou Coil, which is basically Lain but easier to understand, and Boogiepop Phantom, which I didn't care for too much but it's VERY similar to Lain at least in a stylistic sense.

e: I'm also looking for a show that is heart-wrenching and depressing. Something that's NOT Clannad, Air, or any of those other terrible shows staffed by Key. The show I'm looking for is more along the lines of Shadow Star or Now and Then, Here and there, which are two of my favourite manga and anime, respectively.

Madoka Magica?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Seen AnoHana, Madoka, and Grave of the Fireflies. I didn't like Anohana, but I did enjoy Madoka and Grave of the Fireflies.

Maybe Fate/Zero or Psycho-Pass, then?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I was indeed aware of this....the Fate universe as a whole does not appeal to me.

The correct term is Nasuverse. :colbert:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I like shounen and senien manga/anime where people get their rear end beat into the pavement, and could care less about plot.

I enjoy fighting and HEROIC WILLPOWER in these.

Series I am currently reading/watching: The Breaker: New Waves, HSDK, One Piece, Assassination Classroom, Onepunch Man, Claymore, and Beezlebub

Try Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Manga suffers from translations being a little uneven until at least the fifth part, but it's pretty good.

The fifth part's translation was actually one of the worst (along with the fourth part's). I believe there are better translations for both of them now, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guyver posted:

The new Hunter X Hunter is right up your alley.

Some other stuff you should check out is Air Master, Bakuen Campus Guardress, Battle Royal High School, Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star, Hurricane Polymar OVA, Kite, Agent Aika, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, Variable Geo, Shootfighter Tekken and Natsuki Crisis.

From the Hurricane Polymar OVA.

Hunter x Hunter is good, but not really what he's asking for (it has a plot that actually matters, for one thing). Something like Fairy Tail might be closer to what he wants.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Oh, it's not that I mind plot. I mean, One Piece sorta has a plot. I just meant that in a 'feel free to recommend anime with an absolutely atrocious plot, if it has cool fights.' sort of way. I'm gonna go look up those various anime/manga, likely starting with Jojo (the anime, because bad translation bugs me)

There should be good translations available somewhere for all the manga parts by now, though.

Incidentally, there were several different groups subbing the anime. GG's subs are the most controversial; they use a lot of alliteration, British slang, and other goofy stuff. Nutbladder was generally the fastest to sub new episodes; they're generally good but have occasional awkward lines. Buddy Waters, Muda Muda Muda, and Commie Subs are generally considered consistently good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ShardPhoenix posted:

Ok, thanks for the advice on Fate. I'll try the VN at some point - maybe next season since I'm watching 4 ongoing animes at the moment not to mention Game of Thrones and Doctor Who and LOGH.

Alternatively: http://lparchive.org/Fatestay-night/

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Saturday Mornings posted:

2) Any anime where monsters/supernatural companions/living weapons/familiars etc. do battle with or under the command of human controllers. This is stemming from a childhood love of Pokemon/Digimon/Monster Rancher, so my standards are ridiculously low for this. I just like seeing different sorts of monsters. Anime I've seen even vaguely related to this already: Onmyou Taisenki, Natsume's Book of Friends (not monster battling, but there's lots of spirits), Blue Dragon, the anime adaptation of Persona 4, Medabots, Shaman King, I'm sure there's more. I have not seen Narutaru, but from what I hear it's a bit too hosed up for me to enjoy.

Fate/Zero.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Emperor posted:

Just finished Gurren Lagann and, holy poo poo, it was amazing. I've never watched any mecha anime before so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it but it blew over and surpassed all my expectations. I was a bit worried at the start of the second season but then the whole thing just went into overdrive.

Now I need to look for something else while I wait for AoT's new episode so is there anything you guys can recommend?

Specifically I'm looking for something in the vein of either GL or FMA/B. I like shows that have a lot of surprising twists going on, something that'll kept me hooked to watch the next episode like I did with those two shows. I also kind of like characters like Viral from GL and Envy from FMA:B so if the show has that I'd consider it a bonus! :)

Listing what I've watched previously:
Death Note
FMA
FMA:B
Gurren Lagann
Haibane Renmai
Legends of the Galactic Heroes
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo

Code Geass seems like what you want. It's like Death Note, but with much better characterization and with mecha. Lots of crazy plot twists.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 1, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Make sure you go with FMA: Brotherhood if you don't want another case of "what is this bullshit" at the end.

Personally, I think the first anime's ending is decent in its own right. It doesn't just abruptly stop; it ties everything together.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Emperor posted:

Especially if you watch the movie! :v:

I seriously really enjoy FMA:B though. Pretty much most of the episodes left a good enough hook to keep me watching. I think things in the show really ramped up and started getting awesome as soon as the new content started happening.

I don't think I'd ever watch the original again after Brotherhood but I enjoyed it at the time before I knew there was something that was a whole lot better.

I'm reluctant to call the manga "a whole lot better" because the first anime avoids some of the things that annoyed me in the manga. The homunculi have an actual thematic connection to everything else, instead of being generic shonen manga villains. The main characters' flaws are explored more. They essentially admit "yeah, this is magic" instead of resorting to "science-y" buzzwords that don't actually explain anything ("Geothermal energy! Traditional Chinese medicine! Gaia theory! Nuclear fusion!").

The manga also does some things better, though. It has better fight scenes and explores the setting more.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Emperor posted:

Is it worth reading the manga if you've seen Brotherhood however? I must admit I'm not the biggest manga reader though.

Even though I'm reluctant to call the first anime better than the manga or vice versa, I have no problem calling the manga better than Brotherhood. Especially early on, Brotherhood has pacing problems and bad comedic timing, and it cuts out some good scenes from the manga.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Index is fundamentally a very silly series. It's built on a mix of shonen/LN cliches and misremembered "facts" about physics, religion, etc. Touma is a fundamentally very bland character; his amnesia is mostly used as an excuse to avoid giving him motivations deeper than "defeat the current villain and save the damsel in distress." Index is even worse; she's a moeblob so infuriating that even people who like moeblobs don't like her. Despite all this, it's strangely enjoyable sometimes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

So, I liked Death Note, The First Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, and I've seen every Yu-Yu-Hakusho, I'm not really sure what drew me to those series, but I do know I found the new Fullmetal not as interesting, couldn't get into Code Geass, and was blah about DBZ. I have literally no idea why I like some animes and why I don't like others.

It seems you like dark and tense action/drama shows but have a limited (but not too limited) tolerance for camp. Maybe try Psycho-Pass or Fate/Zero?

quote:

I also need help finding an anime, it had a child detective who was a kid, and he solved this one crime where the big turn around was the murderer wasn't fat at all, instead he was wearing tons of layers. I also kind of need dubs to watch an anime as I tend to watch them while I work or whatever.

Haven't seen it, but that sounds like Detective Conan/Case Closed to me.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 5, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

And then Alexander the Great died at around the time he died in real life, and Kiritsugu shot his daughter in the face just in time for Father's Day. Fate/Zero had the best content to air time schedule.

On a similar note, Crunchyroll uploaded the final episode of Madoka Magica on Good Friday.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Emperor posted:

Stay/Night is okay so far but it's not really gripping me like I expected it would after about 5 episodes. Don't get me wrong, it's enjoyable, just at the moment it's not something that is immediately making me want to move on to the next episode.

That's because it's a bad anime adaptation. The VN is much better.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I enjoy Index somewhat, but objectively speaking, it's awful.

Edit: To elaborate, none of the characters have much depth, Index herself is really annoying when she's around Touma (although she isn't actually that important a character), and the author has obviously done no research about anything. Also, there's a fair amount of sexualization of ~14-year-old girls.

Edit 2: Also infodumping. I normally have a fairly high tolerance for that sort of thing, but in Index the infodumps often don't even really explain things so much as introduce new plotholes for no reason.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 4, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I liked both seasons of Code Geass as well, although I admit I was less mature when I watched it; I'm not sure how well it would hold up on a rewatch. R2 definitely had some flaws, though. I think it became too focused on rather nonsensical metaphysics that were shoehorned into the setting. Also, I think the way some of the characters react to FLEIJA is a bit off; it feels like Suzaku was the only one really shocked by the scale of the loss of life. Something in Star Trek 2009 bothered me for similar reasons: When a planet with billions of people is blown up, Spock is "emotionally compromised" (because it's his planet), and Uhara is sad because Spock is sad, and Bones is angry because Spock isn't showing his sadness enough, but nobody else seems appropriately shocked.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 11, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

As resident backwards man I only liked the wife and husband pair in the original E7 and I liked AO a lot, also the made up end to FMA. Gimme dem Bones.

I liked the made-up end to FMA too. Except Cyborg Archer; that part was stupid.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Barent posted:

Are there any more shows where a romantic relationship actually starts and develops as the show is still going? You know, instead of just starting right as the show ends. I haven't seen much, the only thing I can think of is Sword Art Online.

"Recommending" is probably too strong a word, but there's Severing Crime Edge.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

So I like Death Note. On the other hand other psychological mystery manga seem to be divided into fantastic, weird shounen and overly grimdark seinen. Any ideas?

Try Liar Game.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Precambrian posted:

Hello, ADTRW!

I don't have that much experience with anime. I remember Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid, and, thanks to an anime-loving roommate, I saw Gankutsuo. I'm somewhat familiar with contemporary anime like Redline, Puella Magica, and Panty and Stocking, but I haven't actually seen any of them. Basically, I'm coming to you guys blind.

So I recently saw Pacific Rim and really enjoyed it. But what I particularly liked about it was how the movie was very much Giant Robot High, with hallway fights, awkward cafeteria moments, crushes, etc. More importantly, this High School aesthetic helped give the film an optimistic sci-fi outlook. So that's what I'm looking for: Giant Robot High anime, doesn't have to be upbeat, but I would prefer something optimistic and aspirational. I assumed that Giant Robot High was one of those archetypal animes, but looking through your wiki, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've been told that there are Gundams that get close to that criteria, but I'm not sure how many Gundams there are. I've also been told that Evangelion isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I should check it out. Thoughts?

There's Code Geass (although it might not fit your definition of upbeat).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Geek U.S.A. posted:

So last month in my quest to find another Japanese X-Men show like Darker than Black I ended up watching some of A Certain Scientific Railgun, and it was one of the worst things I've watched in years. Disgusting show with silly writing. Are there any other good shows inspired by the X-Men or is it pretty much just DtB and its OVA?

There's The Unlimited, but it's a spinoff of something you might find more offensive than Railgun.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Thanks for all the replies. They're very helpful and have pointed me the right direction. Especially the top ten list.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing "the new Death Note" or something. I've watched and enjoyed a lot of the older popular stuff like Naruto/Bleach/One Piece, HxH, LOTGH, Berserk, Death Note, Hellsing Ultimate, FMA, Code Geass, TTGL, Hajime No Ippo, Kaiji, Akagi, One Outs, a several others, but it's been a while since I've come across anything new and I knew that there had to be some stuff that came out recently that was good.

I still have a few things on my old list I haven't watched yet. I was planning on checking out Eve No Jikan, Canaan, Kurozuka, The Tower of Druaga, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Kara No Kyoukai, and Shiki. I just throw stuff on a list whenever I hear about it and it sounds interesting. I have no idea if it's actually any good or not.

Anyway, I'll check out the stuff you guys mentioned. Thanks again.

It sounds like you'd like Liar Game. It's by the same author as One Outs.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Recommendation thread's on page 2, let's fix that with filling up my tank again. I've run low on stuff to read so I grabbed a bunch of random stuff based solely on either hearing their names a lot around here and being curious, or seeing them in the top 100 or so of the "what's popular" list on Kissmanga.

I'd like to know which of these are worth reading and if they're horrible, really great, middling, ultrageneric, status quo hells, big fat bummers or super-happy-carefree-nothing-bad-happens-ever funfests, if they run into filler problems/hiatuses(the reason I haven't read Berserk yet), etc.

The World God Only Knows
Liar Game
Velvet Game
Nise Koi
Denpa Kyoushi
Claymore(pretty sure this is one of those "good series" but also heard it's a Big Fat Bummer)
Deadman Wonderland
Baby Steps
Dengeki Daisy
Yankee Kun to Megane Chan
Hetakoi(this seems like it'd be terrible, but it's popular)
Love So Life
Sword Art Online
Nyotai Ka(again seems like it'd be terrible, but it's in the top ten most read on the site so might as well ask)
Pokemon Adventures(456 loving chapters?!)
Kimi no Iru Machi
Kaichou wa Maid-Sama

A bunch of these are multi-hundred-chapter epics it seems, so I'd rather get some ideas on if they're worth it before diving in.

Liar Game is brilliant; lots of fun scenarios where people outwit each other, but it does an excellent job of avoiding the nihilism often present in stories like that.

Sword Art Online is mostly good-for-what-it-is (that is, the stuff about the lives of people trapped in a virtual world is pretty well done), but it goes in some pretty bad directions in the second half of the anime (some dumb otaku fetish stuff, for example). Also, the main character is kind of a Mary Sue. It has a good ending, though, and the LN volumes that haven't been adapted yet are supposedly better (I haven't read them because I can't endure most amateur LN translations). It also gets points for avoiding the most common trap that romance-related storylines in anime tend to fall into.

I've read the first few arcs of Pokemon Adventures a while back and might pick it up again sometime. It's a weird series in some ways; rather than being like the Pokemon anime, it's a shonen action series based on the Pokemon games, and features things like trainers fighting alongside their Pokemon (including a few trainers with weird supernatural powers, and not only the ones you'd expect like Sabrina) and lots of awesomely gimmicky battle tactics. The first arc is probably too fast-paced, and some of the later arcs are probably too slow-paced. You should probably read the first arc or two and see if you like the concept.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 6, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember getting a bunch of the Pokemon Yellow Caballero issues in a box of random comics years and years ago. I believe the plot was the Elite Four wanted to literally genocide humanity and allow Pokemon to take over the natural world. Yeah, really.

Is that part of Pokemon Adventures, or a different thing?

That was indeed the plot of the Yellow arc of Pokemon Adventures.

Incidentally, Pokemon Adventures is also known as Pokemon Special.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

WYA posted:

This is going to be a wrong post to post here but I dont know what else to do. I watch shows with my young cousin. He's been trying to describe a show to me so that I can download it, he only saw like a handful of episodes on the old tube, but besides knowing it's an anime, I've got some non-googleable factoids about it. I dont know anything about anime beside Akira and Dragon Ball Z from my childhood. Here's what I know about this show so far based on his descriptions:

- The protagonists are a young girl and a robot friend
- The leader of their country has a magic eye
- Their adventure is to find new bodies to steal (maybe a bit dark)
- Greed and lust are chasing them (metaphorical? I dont know, could be character names)

I know this is poo poo but something isn't right with that boy and he can't really give me anything else that makes sense. I dont know if this is popular enough or even good enough for you guys to help me. Also, if you can tell me if it's cool for a 8 year old to watch. Tits and dicks are fine, just no loving or actual sex acts.

I think he's talking about Fullmetal Alchemist, although he's gotten a couple details hilariously wrong (the main character is male, for one thing). It's actually two separate shows; the remake, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, is based more closely on the manga. There isn't really any sexual content, but both versions are pretty violent and thematically dark; I wouldn't show it to an 8-year-old.

Edit: I beg to differ about Brotherhood being better; it has some serious issues with pacing and tone.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vogelspinne posted:

Any recommendations for really dark/disturbing animes? My roommate and I have pretty broad taste but we're looking specifically for things that are Super hosed Up.

She's seen (and loved) Elfen Lied. We've both watched FMA (I know, not that dark but it had its really screwed up moments) and are currently watching Attack on Titan. We're also both a fan of the Battle Royale manga. I'm blanking on any other dark things we're already watched or read.

Thank you!

You might be interested in the works of Gen Urobuchi. Try Madoka Magica (yes, really), Fate/Zero, and Psycho-Pass. Avoid Gargantia, though.

Also, I'm not sure which FMA you watched, but you might want to try the other one too. I could write a lot about FMA, but I guess what matters for your purposes is that the first anime is more emotionally dark, while Brotherhood is more violent. (I consider the manga better than Brotherhood, but you specifically asked for animes. I won't say whether the first anime is better or worse than the manga, because they're so different from each other.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

If you're fine with eroge, you could try Saya no Uta. It's by the same writer who would later write Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica (recommended above, both great shows).

Here's the first ten minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHJ05TbDxU

While we're on the subject of VNs, Fate/Stay Night (which Fate/Zero is a prequel to) is also good (though not as consistently good as Zero). Avoid the Fate/Stay Night anime, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

So, yesterday on a whim I marathoned all of [C]: Control and kinda liked the economic scheming the plot was mostly trying to be about. Is there anything else like that other than Spice and Wolf? Preferably something that has less shoehorned weird romance and is light on requisite shonen fighting if possible.

Try Maoyuu. One of the mangas is generally considered the best version, but I can't actually remember which manga. The anime version ends on a cliffhanger but is pretty.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blhue posted:

The problem being it does exactly the things he said he'd like them not to do.

Oh yeah, I guess it does have weird romance and shonen fighting.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Also I kinda missed it but maybe I'm not too late, Sword Art online is loving poo poo all the way through, the second half is just double poo poo. for the love of god don't watch it.

It's not that bad.

I could probably write a little essay about how SAO relates to Locke's ideas, but :effort:.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 27, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Oasx posted:

Shows I like :...Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet.

quote:

I find that the things i dislike are many of the common anime clichés : Cute pets, small cute anime girls

I sense a contradiction here. :v:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

khy posted:

Is Outbreak Company any good? I've heard it's a funny spoof on otaku culture, but then I've also heard it's a shameless way to grab viewers by parroting the most popular anime and manga tropes.

It's amazing how quickly the goon consensus on Outbreak Company shifted from "This is going to be crap" to "This is actually pretty interesting" to "This is crap." The first episode was amusing and set up some interesting conflicts, but around the second episode it became apparent that we're actually supposed to agree with the main character's goony and privileged outlook. Don't bother with it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Srice posted:

Outbreak Company certainly managed to make the Tales of- games' view on racism look really subtle, that's for sure.

It's amazing how bad many Japanese pop culture can get when it tries to tell stories about prejudice; it tends to come across as either insincere and banal preaching (many JRPGs), or bitter nationalistic projection (Total Eclipse, Code Geass at times). From the New World is a notable exception.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 19, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dessel posted:

Wait, One Piece is legit good? :aaa: I've completely avoided it in addition to Naruto and DBZ becauseI have a bad vibe of them / noticed they're overpopular among American kids / because I'm a terrible anime hipster because I didn't want to feel like I was regressing to a dumb child.

It's generally better than Naruto and Bleach (although even then, there have been points in time when Naruto or Bleach was more enjoyable for me), and definitely better than DBZ. I would consider it weaker than some other shonen series, though, like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Hunter x Hunter.

The good: Does a pretty good job of avoiding cast bloat, maintains a sense of fun and imagination, character power-ups generally come from creative use of existing powers rather than training arcs, unusual setting.
The bad: Some characters can be annoyingly flat, some parts drag on too long (still clearly better than Naruto and Bleach in this regard, and it's much less of an issue when archive binging instead of following it weekly), can be rather sexist (cross-series comparisons on this point are pretty :can:, although I will say it's at least clearly better than Reborn about this), avoidance of character death leads to some contrivances, art style can be off-putting (although it's the sort of thing you get used to if you read it for a while).

In short, it's an above-average shonen action series. You should try it if you've never tried one before.

Edit: I should add that I'm talking about the manga. The anime, like most anime adaptations of long-running shonen manga, suffers from tediously slow pacing in later arcs.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

Looking for recommendations on anime that has the main protagonist, male or female not be a wuss and actually feel like he is somewhat powerful/has strength and not be ridiculously op. i.e they can hold their own against poo poo.

Examples:

Guts from Berserk (not too op but he isn't a pussy)
Kinji aria the scarlet ammo (sure he has a special power but he isn't a total whiny wuss most of the time)
Touma Certain magical index (A little OP but it isn't an instant win for him all the time)
Raishin Unbreakable Machine doll (Probably the perfect guy, not ridiculously op but not too weak and not a whiny bitch)

Fate/Zero.

Edit: Kill La Kill.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 11, 2014

• Locked thread