Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Recommend me anime about REVOLUTION.

Difficulty: I've already seen Utena, as well as One Piece, Code Geass, FMA, and about half of Chevalier d'Eon. The overlap between those shows is a pretty good indicator of what I'm looking for, though.
Read the thread title :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Is there a recommended way to get into the Fate series? I've heard the first anime wasn't as good as the VN, but I dunno if I want to have to replay a VN 6 times to get the good ending or however that works.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Ok, thanks for the advice on Fate. I'll try the VN at some point - maybe next season since I'm watching 4 ongoing animes at the moment not to mention Game of Thrones and Doctor Who and LOGH.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Is it necessary/recomended to watch A Certain Magical Index before A Certain Scientific Railgun, and why would I want to watch either of them? (Honestly the main reason this even interests me is because A Certain Scientific Railgun is a really good name for a show :v:).

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

tonberrytoby posted:

You should watch Railgun because it is good. At least if you prefer it if the main character wins her fights by planing ahead instead of just powering up by getting super emotional.
Sounds good to me.

edit: Although I also hope they complete the quadfecta with A Certain Religious Icon and A Certain Biological Organ.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 4, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

DamnGlitch posted:

That said, don't be the guy who jerks off eva too hard. Go enjoy some other anime; half the reason people still stick their nose up at eva today is because folks hyped it up to crazy levels back in the 90s until everyone felt obliged to hate it.
While I agree that hype can become obnoxious, sometimes it's nice to just be genuinely awed by something rather than having to like it in an ironic or comedic manner so that people won't think you're getting too big for your britches.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Corte posted:

What I loved about the animes I listed(notable expceptions being Toradora and K-On obviously) are the following:
-mysterious pasts that you learn about over the length of the show
-interesting and complex characters
-smooth over-arcing plot that doesn't always dominate the story but has some substance to it
-good balance between comedy, action and emotional moments
-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes
-great music
As the others posted, Utena is a good choice. If you're interested in something that's like a cross between K-On! and the requirements listed above, you should also watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. (If so make sure to watch it in TV order not chronological order).

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 19, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Corte posted:

I have seen Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya lauded a bunch here and elsewhere, if it's K-On combined with the long list of things I like then it could very well become my favourite anime of all time, I will have to give it priority. The TV order you mention is somehow achronological? I've just never heard this suggestion before since usually the TV order is the one that gets messed up like with the airing of Firefly.
The TV order was (as far as I know) intentionally cut up in order to mix up the slice-of-life and mystery/thriller elements of the story better, while preserving some of the mystery. In chronological order it's a bit front-loaded. I watched it in TV order for the first time and ended up enjoying working it all out.

For reference here's the order I watched the 14 episodes of season 1:

The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina 00
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P1
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P2
The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P3
Remote Island Syndrome P1
Mystérique Sign
Remote Island Syndrome P2
Someday in the Rain
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P4
The Day of Sagittarius
Live Alive
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P5
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P6

If you do watch it, don't look up anything else about it. I enjoyed being surprised by the details of the premise.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 19, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

I'm watching Railgun season 1 now and really enjoying it (having finished the first arc). It's not super deep but it's well made and lot of fun. Redcrimson's post seems right on the details. I'm particularly impressed by the way they show how people behave very differently in different settings and circumstances - something that even much more serious shows don't always do well. Kuroko is a great example - at first she seems like she's going to be a 1-note joke character, but soon we find she's a real person with depth and a joke character :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

ViggyNash posted:

You guys convinced me to watch Railgun, so here's my understanding of the first few episodes:

ATTACK OF THE PSYCHO LESBIAN.
Yeah there's a bit of that, but it's less of a focus after the first few.

• Locked thread