Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did you watch the One Piece anime, or read the One Piece manga? It's kind of an important difference. The manga is a more methodical pace while the anime can get super bipolar for long stretches.

Watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and read you some Battle Angel Alita. Maybe BAA: Last Order as well, if you're up for CRAZY AS A SHITHOUSE RAT shenanigans as well as really bananas character designs, also Robo-Lobo with dreads and a lifelong dream to Punch A Planet In Half.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OxeHunden posted:

One Piece I tried both. Back in the day I got the US shonen jump and read it for about a year in that.
How far did you make it? I'm not sure what that entails/what the US Shonen Jump covered, did you make it to the Arlong Park arc? The chapters prior to Arlong Park are not that great, a huge amount of people said that they "make or break" point for them was Arlong Park. If you never got to it, I'd suggest getting there and reading it, it's the first serious One Piece chapter. The stuff before it was largely recruitment stuff and not very good.

Apologies for the pestering, but I do ask if people try One Piece to at least read Arlong Park, and if they still don't like it, it's perfectly reasonable for them to swear off One Piece at that point.

Arlong Park starts around chapter 68, I think.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 26, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's not a question

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ViggyNash posted:

Now why have I posted all of this? Because I have no idea what to watch next. I'd like to stay away from actiony stuff (since much of what I've watched has been that) and much of the stuff that I've watched so far was at the suggestion of a friend of mine. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I'd prefer something with a good story, but suggestions?
You should probably follow the thread title's suggestion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Saturday Mornings posted:

I can't seem to stick with One Piece and I don't know why. I haven't watched the anime in years, and I haven't read the manga very far at all (not to Arlong Park like someone said earlier).

2) Any anime where monsters/supernatural companions/living weapons/familiars etc. do battle with or under the command of human controllers. This is stemming from a childhood love of Pokemon/Digimon/Monster Rancher, so my standards are ridiculously low for this. I just like seeing different sorts of monsters. Anime I've seen even vaguely related to this already: Onmyou Taisenki, Natsume's Book of Friends (not monster battling, but there's lots of spirits), Blue Dragon, the anime adaptation of Persona 4, Medabots, Shaman King, I'm sure there's more. I have not seen Narutaru, but from what I hear it's a bit too hosed up for me to enjoy.

I hope you're not reading really awful scanlations of OP, that made it difficult initially for me to start on it, because they can be REALLY BAD.

Have you tried...Monster Rancher, I think it is? It had Suezo who is a little eyeball-on-a-leg, some giant rock golem thing, some other interesting characters. I always used to think it was a pretty hosed up show because dudes died a LOT. Probably more than Digimon. And it was on at the same time as Digimon, back in the days when Saturday morning cartoons still existed.

Also Zatch Bell is peak shounen, I can't think of a more trope-ey shounen series, but it does a drat fine job at it and the ultimate attacks are just loving BONKERS. It's also pretty drat funny when it wants to be. Victoreem is one of my favorite characters.

Redcrimson posted:

Adventure isn't any worse than every other modern shounen marketing vehicle. I'd go so far as to say the fact that it's actually a complete story with dynamic characters may actually make it better.

02 is almost universally considered the worst season. Especially that epilogue... which doesn't exist :ssh:

Tamers, as already stated is still legitimately good even outside it's own franchise. Like Princess Tutu for guys.

Frontier is pretty mediocre, but deviated heavily from the formula(basically becoming Digimon Super Sentai) and almost tanked the entire franchise as a result.

Savers is basically Digimon trying to ride the coattails of the "Big 3" by becoming more hot-blooded and mature(though not nearly to Tamers levels).

So which Digimon is the first American one with Tai and co, and which one was with them in the real world with the bad guy with the worm buddy, and which one was the one with those guys grown up? I remember watching them when I was younger.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Masturbation Master Kurosawa is one of the best manga I have ever read.

I am being completely serious. It is an amazing series and I don't want to really describe it because I feel like saying much of anything about it is spoilery, but it is an awesome series about incredibly flawed people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, Tiger and Bunny is one of the best shows to come out in recent years and fits that description flawlessly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The truly worst of the worst series we are not allowed to speak of on these forums. So there's that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Robert Denby posted:

I'd say follow it up with "Paranoia Agent" and "Eureka Seven" if you haven't seen those yet. Also "Princess Tutu" if you want more girly stuff.

Eureka Seven is a bit of a slow burn. Overall though, it's outstanding.

Turn A Gundam, too, is up there as one of the best anime I've seen. Most of those aren't mecha shows. It's got such incredible class in every aspect, fantastic characters, OUTSTANDING music, Syd Mead(Blade Runner, Tron) designed the mechs, the setting is wonderful, it's just a really fantastic show. There was a simulwatch of it, I believe it was far and away the most popular Simulwatch, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Most folks aren't heaping monumental praise on it, though. At least, in my case it's an exceptionally good show, but not the best show I've ever seen. As a whole though, it's definitely up there. Also, most of the characters are FANTASTIC.

muike posted:

Please get to Norb before you decide. Please.
Norb is really great.

quote:

Despite his occupation as a priest, Norb smokes, eats unhealthy junk food (such as pizza and chips), and barely reflects any religious point of view even when asked to do so.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eureka Seven is less about the plot and more about the characters. And the music.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah if you want ridiculous mecha action similar to Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster and Diebuster are the two shows you should watch first and foremost. The were, I'd say, a significant if not direct influence on Gurren Lagann by the same studio. Gunbuster is pretty historically significant as far as the history of mecha anime goes, too. They're short, go watch them. Maybe not Diebuster immediately after Gunbuster, though, might want to let it settle for a bit, but that's up to you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ViggyNash posted:

E: Finished E7:AO, and I'm really pissed off.
To be fair, you WERE warned by a lot of people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silver2195 posted:

Even though I'm reluctant to call the first anime better than the manga or vice versa, I have no problem calling the manga better than Brotherhood. Especially early on, Brotherhood has pacing problems and bad comedic timing, and it cuts out some good scenes from the manga.

Brotherhood glosses over the (minor spoiler)flashback to when Ed and Al were first training, which in my opinion is one of the best parts of the entire series and downright criminal they removed it whole cloth. I don't even think the dude who showed up during that part is even in Brotherhood. I don't remember if it was in the original series either, I think he was.

Regardless, Brotherhood, despite roadrunnering through the first 10 episodes or so, is exceptionally strong. The original had some fantastic fight scenes though, but honestly the ending was so monumentally stupid(as well as the movie) that I'd advise skipping it. Maybe watch some of the fight scenes after watching all of Brotherhood.

I would say watch the rest of the original anime AFTER switching to Brotherhood and watching all of that, if you go back to the original at all.

Or, like was said, read the manga first, then watch the animes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnGlitch posted:

Watch both and make your own decisions holy crap. Even if you don't like it it's still better than 99.9% of televised entertainment, anime or otherwise

He asked for opinions and that's what he got, don't get bent out of shape because the majority of replies don't agree with your opinion that the first FMA went in a good direction, thanks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you hate yourself, keep watching. If you do not hate yourself, stop watching School Days. Your roommate is trolling you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

I've seen people talking about how School Days is a big troll before - could someone direct me to a spoilery link that explains it all or summarise what's wrong with it? I'm curious enough to want to know, but not enough to actually watch something that is bad.

You could watch the ending, which is pretty hosed up and very :nws::nms:! Just a warning before you go clicking that link anywhere that might get you in trouble!

edit: whoops, shoulda refreshed the thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ViggyNash posted:

Having watched the series, there is no way that I can dissociate the characters from their original setting, especially since so much of the movie is borrowed from the show. Hell, there are parts that are direct copies of short segments of the series. If they wanted to create a standalone movie with no relation to the series then they should have created a new cast and reimagined the setting.

However, even on its own the movie is terrible. The dialog is shallow and thoughtless, the story is incompetently told to the point that I could only follow the general idea, and the premise itself is nothing more than generic. The movie was more reminiscent of the first three episodes of E7 than any of the rest of the series, and I would even argue that it was worse than that. I was confused for the first 20 minutes, then I had to push myself to watch the next 20. After that I just could not deal with it. At least Astral Ocean was watchable since there was some measure of quality to the art and animation, but there is no saving grace for the movie from what I saw.
So you didn't even finish it?

Force yourself through it to the end if you're gonna rage about it, don't quit halfway through and give us a half-baked rant based on only part of the movie. I didn't think the movie was that bad, and I liked the series WAY more than you apparently did based on your posts about it earlier.

It's not the best ever and definitely not as good as the series, but I didn't find it as reprehensible as AO apparently is.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 9, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

E: I am a big, big fan of Ranma 1/2's dub.
YES. Ranma has one of the best older dubs I can think of. Also a pretty good series in it's own right, though the finale was a typical Rumiko Takahashi Ending.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He should wait until the end of his Gundam viewing to watch Turn A, since there's really nowhere to go but down from there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When suggesting a show to someone, why would you link to the literal finale as an example of how "awesomely cheesy" it is. Come on dude.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ViggyNash posted:

I probably wouldn't be able to handle the cheesiness of G Gundam if that clip is just average G Gundam.

One of the Gundams is a windmill. A Windmill Gundam. From the Netherlands. Whose entire design is based around transforming into a windmill(with a Gundam V-fin on the top of it) so it can hide from the other competitors until there's only two left and sneak attack them for the victory. No, seriously.

There is a robot horse Gundam piloted by an actual horse. Neo Norway's Gundam is a Viking Gundam that plugs itself into the front of a giant Viking Longship to move around in water.

The show destroys The Statue of Liberty twice during its run, which I don't think has happened elsewhere in the history of media. One of which involves the torch being an apocalyptic superweapon that fires a gigantic laser beam. Also, all the major cities of the current day world are floating in space.

G Gundam is Peak Silliness, played completely straight.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnGlitch posted:

G Gundam is a series that sounds ridiculous and fun on paper but is actually way less interesting than descriptions would have you believe. In my opinion, anyway.

You are one of the few people who doesn't like G, and also one of the few who genuinely likes Wing, apparently after watching it recently and not floating along on nostalgia alone?

G ain't perfect and I'm not saying it is, but good lord, Wing is far lower on the quality ladder than it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think Japan knows that Scotland is a Thing That Exists.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rule number X of the internet: if you suggest someone is one of few who like/dislike something, a others will pop up out of nowhere to MAKE SURE YOU KNOW that they stand together in their like/dislike of (thing)!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Corte posted:

I'm on episode 3 of GitS: SAC, so far it's been interesting and amusing at times but I'm waiting for it to kick things up a notch.
It's hard for me to think of a "realistic" series like GITS:SAC that is more "kick it up a notch".

Do you like holy poo poo political intrigue and secret police shenanigans? Do you like seeing the discord between a dude who is all flesh and blood and a fully augmented cyborg person who both work in the same office? Then you'll like GITS:SAC.

It's got some huge amounts of philosophical mumbo jumbo that can get a bit long in the tooth at times, but it's a drat fine show and drat well animated. I'd say it's one of my favorite shows period in terms of pure animation style and quality.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Stalins Moustache posted:

EDIT: Oh, and I saw Mirai Nikki and Gurren Lagann some while ago as well and I really enjoyed them for the batshit crazy stuff going on. Any recommendations on that as well?
Gunbuster and Diebuster are direct influences for Gurren Lagann and what started Gainax on the road to glory/crazy they are on today. Gunbuster in particular is really awesome for late 80's style robot and technological animation, also introduced the "Gainax Bounce". Diebuster, released much more recently, isn't as loved but I thought it was incredible all the same, and the animation in it outstanding. These are both six episodes long, so not a huge time commitment either. Also presents crazy scale in both shows.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ame and Yuki is a really good movie, not quite top shelf Ghibli-level, but up there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mercrom posted:

I really liked the first 14 episodes of Death Note. I wanted to watch something else with a magnificent bastard of a main character, so I watched the 3 episodes of Code Geass. It's like everything terrible about anime except pedophilia combined in one gigantic clusterfuck, and so far it is the worst anime I have ever seen. Does it get better or what?

Is there anything besides Death Note you enjoy? You're probably the most cynical poster I've seen in ADTRW, dude. Lighten up with your posts at least, every single one I've seen reads like an angry rant. Like you came in expecting the Citizen Kane Of Anime, but instead got Deuce Bigelow: Anime Gigolo. Your expectations seem like they're astronomical.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
On a scale of 1-10, how realistic would you say the Tachikoma from GITS:SAC are? Mechanically speaking, not necessarily AI-wise or anything.

Not recommending anything, just curious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnGlitch posted:

Having you checked out the Young Witch Academia movie(OVA?)?

It's ridiculously good. It's basically a short anime harry potter, and it is GORGEOUS. I'm pretty sure it was done by a bunch of Gainax folk who bailed (studio tiger I think?)

Anti-Harry Potter, really.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Artificer posted:

Er. I'm not sure where else to post this and it honestly doesn't deserve a thread of it's own, but would anyone recommend the Persona 4 anime, or should I stick to the games and LPs instead?
I didn't buy Persona 4 itself, but i did watch the Giant Bomb Endurance Run, which a lot of folks swear by. Jeff Gerstmann and Vinny Caravella are a great pair and both really funny(aside from during grinding parts and most Persona-crafting parts). They started these in February 2009, and played it for a bit once a day until they beat it at around 155 episodes.

Full P4 ER playlist

After watching that, despite them not naming the protagonist Charlie Tunoku in the anime, I enjoyed it a lot(especially because the anime tends to follow the same sort of character choices Vinny/Jeff made ingame). But I'd say it's definitely way more enjoyable if you've already watched a playthrough/played through the game first, though the game is looooooooong. Like minimum 60 hours I'd say unless you're blitzing through it and know everything already.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Scrapped Princess is definitely more drama than comedy. However, it does have a good bit of comedy in it, and it's also just a really enjoyable series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Redcrimson posted:

Well, you might as well complete the 90s space western trilogy and watch Outlaw Star too. It's a pretty light-hearted space adventure.

There is That One Episode that brings it all down, though. Rahxephon had one of those too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grenadier posted:

drat which one was that because my shitheel opinion is that it was derivative and irritating except for like 2 really great episodes.
If you're talking about Rahxephon, episode 19. Rarely have I been so loving bummed by an episode of a TV show, let alone an anime, and I believe that encounter had been foreshadowed a good bit since maybe even the earlier episodes. Also, as nonsensical babbling shenanigan-driven as Rahxephon was, I still enjoyed it and that it was a different take from the manga, which is A MASSIVE SOUL-SUCKING hosed UP BUMMER(but still good). The Vermilion Suits are also one of my favorite "mecha" designs.

RebBrownies posted:

Is Gundam Wing good? As a child I didn't understand it at all and I was wondering if that was because I was stupid or because it was very politics driven?

I'm just wondering why did LOGH get such a revival in popularity? I was a huge weeaboo in the early 2000s and never heard of it?
Gundam Wing is really bad. It can be really bad in a really good-bad way, such as that one dude who is basically Waluigi In A Suit first being thrown out of a space shuttle via his chair falling through the bottom of it, followed by Lady Une headshot sniping him with a pistol as he falls through the atmosphere for good measure. If this sounds like a rip-roarin' tongue in cheek time to you, watch Gundam Wing. If you want actual quality storytelling, do not watch Gundam Wing.

You should probably just watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. In a world, in a forums, where every animes is spurned, is shunned, Legend of the Galactic Heroes had it's own very successful TVIV thread for a while. A non-ADTRW SA subforum embraced an anime with open arms. This has literally never happened in the history of anything outside of this single event.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RebBrownies posted:

The Tatami Galaxy is awesoome so far. You guys are awesome I have so much poo poo I have to watch now, if only I didn't have a loving job. I just want to be an unemployed otaku.

No don't

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't Aquarion the mecha show where the robots are powered by orgasms or something like that?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I find it ironic you failed to understand the plot and themes of a show where the underlining theme is all about understanding one-another.
By his own admission, he tends not to make "positive posts" like saying how good something is, so basically he is a 100% all the time big fat debbie downer who looks like he doesn't like anything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Stalins Moustache posted:

And does anyone have any recommendations for any good romance animes? Preferably ones that does not become all moe and poo poo.
Fuckin' Bonnouji. It's manga but you'll be hard-pressed to find a more solid love story that actually continues after the relationship begins!(!!!!!)

Someone posted Sasameki Koto in the Convince With One Panel thread and I read the whole thing even though I got a bit bored around halfway through. It follows a high school girl who is openly gay, and her friend who initially wasn't, but wound up falling in love with her. It does a lot of things right, the romance is cute, the humor is good, the problem is it's probably a full third too long and it pulls the annoying bit where the mains are about to confess but are interrupted by [character] like 3 or 4 times, and there are multiple arcs and a few characters that are essentially irrelevant and could be cut out entirely.

Is there something like that that is about the same core story quality, deals with the same issues, but isn't jam-packed with filler/pointless tangents? Someone also posted Girl Friends there, but I haven't actually read it, is it any good? It seems really...

I've been recommended a few others already by the Shoujo thread, so I've got a bit of a backlog and want to avoid reading series if they turn out crap. Last week was a pretty huge bummer and my usual shonen/whatever series aren't really doing it, so I thought I'd go for some romance stuff instead.

The Black Stones posted:

If you're looking for teen sex comedy type anime, there's always B Gata H Kei as well (also called Yamada's First Time for the Funimation release).
Holy smokes, this poo poo's got like 300 chapters. Is it actually any good, or is it Status Quo Hell?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I tend to go manga if there is one for a given series since a bunch of animes are just traps to get you to buy the manga/LNs, so why not just start with that instead.

Though the Devil Is A Part-Timer anime is apparently way way wayyyyy better than the manga.

Nate RFB posted:

E: Yeah it was a 4-koma.

Wacky!

• Locked thread