Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

On an unrelated note, I'm not sure what the etiquette for this is, but to whoever gave me this avatar: Thanks? I guess? It is of course entirely appropriate.

Not to clog up the thread with E/N bullshit, but: a mutual friend of ours had me do it. He wanted me to explain in a PM, but you don't have plat, so eh. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Someone's doing a a Klingon version? My god. We've reached Nerd Singularity. :psyboom:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Niel posted:

Oh, um, I'm new to the games, and I've been starting/fooling around with Imperishable Night (I tried Ten Desires, but it bothered me that I couldn't auto-collect the ghost-things) and I still haven't been able to 1CC Easy Mode. Does anyone have any general tips for someone just starting out?

Imperishable Night was the first game I made a serious attempt at a 1CC in too. Here are three mistakes I made:

1) I tried to learn with Magic Team. Don't do this. Use Border Team.
2) I kept dying with bombs left. Don't do this. Bomb early and often.
3) I quit as soon as I got a game over instead of practicing. Don't do this. Keep at it until you get a bad ending.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

It should be obvious that Tenshi was chosen for the shirt because of the peaches, but apparently the phrase he wrote is a proverb that says something like "peach trees don't talk, but trails naturally form under them", which means "people who don't promote themselves will become respected by their own virtues." So basically it's a joke about how Touhou became popular in the West even though ZUN's never done anything. Also peaches. I'm currently thinking that he chose this convention just so he could make that joke.

Since you mention that: I don't know anything about anything when it comes to anime conventions. Why did ZUN pick this one? Is it especially highly-regarded, or what?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh. That explains everything.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If there are any buffs on Sino-Japanese folklore in the thread: what can you tell me about Hakugyokurou? The real one, I mean. The real mythological one. It's hard to search for because I don't know what it's called in Chinese and all the results for "Hakugyokurou" are about Touhou. :eng99:

The one semi-useful thing I read seemed to suggest that it's a metaphor for the afterlife in one (and only one?) particular poem, but it's also in the Japanese dictionary I use saying it's a "celestial tower of dead poets, artists, etc.", so that doesn't seem right.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 17, 2013

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, I see. It's from something that was said to have happened to Li He himself. At some point I got confused and thought it came from something he had written. That makes more sense. And if it's literally just a phrase, that also explains why it's so hard to find anything else on it.

Where does the thing about the size of the Touhou Hakugyokurou's gardens come in? Is that from an unrelated story? Or did ZUN just make that up?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is anything of substance going to come out of this con, or is it nothing but a bunch of chucklefucks asking ZUN stupid and/or creepy questions? I mean, does he also have the Kotakus and Siliconeras of the world lined up so he can talk to actual journalists? I imagine not.

I'm sure it's a cool experience for him, and for the people at the con, but why should anyone else care about this more than whatever he says in normal conversation to random dudes at Comiket or whatever?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

A lot of ZUN's tweets have him being surprised he has such a large foreign fanbase. Considering that importing Touhou games is a pain in the rear end, it would be nice if this trip inspires him to make the games a little more global!

My first instinct would be to say, "If he's never cared about that before, why would he start now?", but I suppose rationally knowing that you have a bunch of fans somewhere else is a bit different from flying to a convention 10,000km away and seeing a room full of them in costume, shouting questions at you in a foreign langauge. That might change your perspective a bit.

There would be so many logistical problems for him to deal with, though, and he's just one guy with no real interest in commerce. I don't see it happening, unless it just meant downloading his games in Japanese from a janky store on his website. poo poo, that would be good enough for me. But I don't think it would be good enough for most people.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

I think this is the biggest problem, really, though depending on how complicated it'd be (I'm no computer expert), the 'download for $$$' plan on a website could work. That said, FractalSandwich, I think you underestimate just how many people would readily pay for a digital version of the games. As long as he doesn't price it too high (maybe 1-2 beers' worth per game? :v:), he could make some serious bank.

It wouldn't be that cheap, though. I can't imagine he would be willing to undercut the existing doujin retailers, and prices like that just wouldn't fly among people who are used to getting their games for $2.50 in a Steam sale, or even less in a Humble Bundle.

I'd pay for Touhou 15 at full price. You'd pay for Touhou 15 at full price. Maybe everyone in this thread would pay for Touhou 15 at full price. But I don't think J. Random Fan would. I don't think most of them are really interested in the games themselves even when they feel like they can pirate them guilt-free. If they were expected to pay anything for them now? Forget about it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

So you're saying fans who don't give ZUN a single dime would continue to not giving ZUN any money for his products? I don't see how those people factor into a decision to make the games more readily available to Western fans.

Pureauthor posted:

Presumably because doing that in any official capacity would cost money.

Basically that. Even without localization, he'd still need infrastructure to handle who knows how many people trying to buy the game all at once on launch day.

I know there are Japanese digital distribution services; I've bought a couple of fangames that way. But I don't know how reliable they are. (In one case: not at all, in my experience.)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hazdoc posted:

Also, I'm really hope ZUN makes some effort to get his games out here to the west. I'd like to have an easy way of supporting one of my favorite game series. I'm sure he could do something through Steam Greenlight, Touhou should have the fanbase to get something through.

They'd have to be localized first. That's the real problem.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Most of the symbols in that book seem like stock images.

I'll say. Sanae's is a Star of David.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's a funny joke to make, but in this case it's not actually a Star of David. It's an unrelated Shinto symbol which happens to look the same. And which I can't find much English literature on. Wikipedia calls it a "kagome crest", but googling that I mostly get poo poo about Inu Yaksha or whatever. :eng99:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

NuclearPotato posted:

Sup guys. Have some 8-bit Touhou:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2VgWJ6t7c4

Complete with link to the game. (I haven't tried it yet, since I'm at school now).

It's alright. They could stand to add a couple of things from the later games like the boss position indicator and visible hitbox on your character, and the fake sprite flickering is irritating, even if it's cute. But at the very least, it's no worse than the actual EOSD, and I appreciate the pun in the name.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Finally, Bad Apple has been covered by bored nerds in any language you can think of (here: Ukrainian)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5WdPSAwdPY

I don't blame them. The hilarious emo lyrics are most of what's good ("good") about the original cover, so I encourage them to be remade in as many languages as possible. :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vgperson posted:

You may have noticed I'm the translator. It's an okay game, I guess, but man was the translation process annoying.

You translated an RPG Maker game? I would unironically love to hear about how much of a clusterfuck that must have been.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
On reflection, it makes sense that RPG Maker wouldn't necessarily be hard to work with just because it's RPG Maker. I was imagining you'd have trouble with character encoding, but the Latin alphabet is always part of Shift-JIS or whatever anyway, so that doesn't make any sense. And all told, just taking text and putting it on the screen is something that RPG Maker is good at! It can even manage some graphics if you don't mind pushing it. It's only if you want to use RPG Maker to make an RPG that everything turns to poo poo.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 5, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ikaragu posted:

I'd held off on it originally since the idea, as I understood it, was that the patch would be released before a translation was in place, and that there wouldn't at any point be a "done" version of the patch, as the translation would be updated over time. For my part I'd have preferred a patch produced by a group that was willing to vouch that their translation was done and that they were satisfied with it, rather than one that was, at the time, professing not to really care what the characters were saying over Twitter. (Why are you producing a translation patch then?)

But you're right, I'd be immensely surprised if any groups decided to produce their own translation of DDC, given that this one exists and given that there are so many games out there that haven't been translated. I'll probably pick it up pretty soon. I'm still amazed that people translate these games at all - it's not something I should take for granted.

Look at it this way: if poo poo like "The Magic Eye of Laplace" can make it into a finished patch, you're still hosed even if you wait, so you might as well just go for it.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 10, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

The HM soundtrack is just remixes of other songs. Would those originals count?

That chiptune remix of Bad Apple in Lotus Land Story is pretty good, huh?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Being poo poo at the games, I cannot beat Sariel on HRTP. But at least it takes until stage 4 in Mystic Square for me to use my first continue :v:

Don't feel too bad. HRTP is hard. And kind of poo poo. Good music, though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Basically it's considered competition in the "huge number of anthropomorphized female characters" corner of the otaku market. Maybe it's just my bias, but it feels more like a cynical cash-in than Touhou does, and appeals more to otaku interests like school swimsuits and whatnot. In canon I mean; fanart will always be fanart.

I don't know anything about Keitai Colander or whatever, but I find it hard to believe that any game with school swimsuits in it could be anything but a cynical cash-in.

Unless it's a fun game that just has lovely art direction, I guess. There are plenty of those too.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I actually like ZUN's art direction. He doesn't draw short skirts or nonsensical skintight clothing or anything like that. Maybe that's just because he can't, but either way it's good.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I think your idea of 'good' has been skewed by anime games a lil, if all it takes is not having dumb/creepy outfits

He also uses colours other than grey and brown. That's also important. Other than that, yes, that's all it takes. The past 10 years of games have not been kind to my standards.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

leather fedora posted:

Take a heavily chance-based game like XCom except no amount of actual strategy or unit strength will make up for botched turns, and then change all your units into girls with varying otaku fetishes (and one girl from "England" with American mannerisms).

Does it also have an energy system? I bet it has an energy system.

Interesting that free-to-play browser games are catching on in Japan, though. For better or worse.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

HellCopter posted:

He could always buy a fan translation. The wiki's is actually good, right?

"Good" is stretching it. "Passable", sure.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

the word loli ruined the English language

Everywhere I look I see the otakus talking about moe tsundere loli zettai ryoiki and I don't understand what they're saying and it frightens and confuses me.

All I know is that Nabokov must be turning in his grave.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Coming 2028: Let's Play Fantasy Maiden Wars P.
I'm still holding out for "Let's Translate Devil of Decline". :unsmigghh:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I can't identify anyone's theme from just a 7-second clip. What do you think I am, some kind of nerd? :colbert:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I like Jamestown. It starts off easy enough to be playable by someone who isn't already a shmup grognard, and because it was released by Americans just a few years ago you can actually buy it, which are both rare luxuries with these games.

KataraniSword posted:

Touhou is much more focused on visual appeal as opposed to difficulty.
Which is kind of funny, really. It must be optimized to make cool-looking replays, because spectacle is the last thing on my mind when I'm actually playing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is there any official map of Gensokyo anywhere? I'm using its geography as a test for something and I have to make sure I get my facts right, don't I? :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Balls. Oh well, doesn't really matter.

In that case, are there any cool fanmade maps of Gensokyo? I'm not going to use them as a source or anything; I'd just be interested to see them. :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Justus posted:

Nothing official but a quick google turned up this guy who claims to have cartographer as accurately as possible under the circumstances.

http://lunaticred.proboards.com/thread/1312/canon-map-gensokyo
I'm not sure I trust it, but it fits the bill of "cool fanwork", at least. Those computer fonts really clash with its art style, though, yikes.

:stonk:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
As a young person, such adroit use of social media demonstrates to me that Nature Valley are, without a doubt, "hip to my jive". Very radical.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm surprised they didn't think to run this one by ZUN before the Kickstarter went up. That seems like the most obvious, basic precaution in the world.

At least they write the "o" in "dojin" with a macron, though. Very professional.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've heard many complaints about many people on Twitter, but I never expected "He's too hard to contact" to be one of them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

leather fedora posted:

Right before flagrant use of "nakama".
You're right, that's a bit presumptuous. "Minasan" would have been more appropriate.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

There's also the fact that Kourindou got in a copy of a magazine about the Apollo missions just because enough :tinfoil:s believed the moon landing was faked. A couple of Oxford English grammar books could've definitely gotten into Gensokyo with the popularization of ebonics and leetspeek. :v:
Gensokyo should just count itself lucky that The Elements of Style is still going strong out here.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 23, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

When it comes to names not written in katakana, I'm very willing to believe that ZUN is simply wrong and we should go by normal standards. I believe 'Meiling' is an attempt to make it sound more Chinese instead of clinging to a Japanese way of pronouncing a Chinese name. I'm not an expert in Chinese transliteration though.

It is. Trying to claim it's somehow "wrong" in any meaningful way is just silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Well, maybe 'wrong' wasn't the right word to use, but I just don't see any reason to defer to ZUN in the transliteration of Chinese and Japanese names, and therefore what he writes in the game files or whatever doesn't matter at all. I'll note that no one talks about Huziwara or Tozijko either. Although unfortunately people do still talk about Shikieiki (her surname is Shiki, her given name is Eiki, so combining them into one word just looks weird).

No, I agree. I mean it's silly to say that "Meiling" is wrong. At that point you're a hair's breadth from telling people they're putting the stress on the wrong syllable in "Marisa".