Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Here, have a dude singing(?) an acapella version of U.N. Owen Was Her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Here's how you beat Genius of Sappheiros:

1. Use Sakuya
2. Use Byakuren
3. Use Alice

Anything else is for flavour.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Hokuto posted:

Byakuren's pretty much got a permanent roster slot because she's the best Touhou. The others I can take or leave. I prefer Mokou over Alice except in boss fights, and Youmu is generally better at killing droves of things at once than Sakuya. Satori's pretty fun to use too.

Mokou can work as a tank in certain areas, but in others Alice's ability to actively protect your other party members make her far more valuable. Little Legion, in particular, is a fantastic panic button for random encounters, topped only by Aya commander + Sakuya's Private Square giving you a 100% fullproof escape route.

And really, Sakuya is just legitimately the best character in GoS. Youmu is certainly useful in randoms (I use both Youmu and Sakuya generally, in fact), but if you're just comparing basic attacks, Sakuya easily outpaces her damage, and that's not even counting Slayer effects. If you want to compare skills, then you have to consider that Youmu takes a turn to set up - and really, the first turn of a random encounter is usually the most dangerous, unless you gently caress up immensely.

Your realization of Satori's value is commendable however; not many people understand how great her versatility is. She's probably my second favorite character in GoS. She also makes a giant chump out of the expansion's final boss.

e: I somehow forgot to mention how loving good Private Square. They actually nerfed it when they released the expansion, and it's still incredibly loving good.

e2: One of these days I'll stop being completely put off SSLPs and actually LP GoS.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 21, 2013

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Hokuto posted:

Okay, I think I'm done with the Genius of Sappheiros after dealing with the revisited Forest of Magic. The respawn rate is at least double what it is everywhere else in the game, and this makes the roundabout door puzzles more infuriating than they should be. When I finally managed to scrape through to open a way to and from the entrance, it shut off another door, so I decided to close it while exploring further. Then I died, and the game autosaved without the way open, so I have to go through all of that again, with the same droves of enemies that won't stay gone. :argh: That killed my motivation dead.

I don't mean to come off as demeaning or anything, but if you uploaded your save somewhere, I could run you through the FoM2 and just get you to the boss, if you want. I don't have the layout memorized to the extent that I can really give directions, but I've been through it like ~10 times so I at least know how to get through it fast.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Hokuto posted:

That would be fantastic. You can get my save here.

Sorry this took so long, I got distracted. Here you go.

I tried not to mess with your stuff or anything, but I rolled with my favorite party just to make battles as mindlessly easy as I'm used to, so it wouldn't take long. I was also trying not to fight many battles, but because I am the luckiest man alive, I wound up getting 2 equipment drops, a Hinotori Feather, and learned a skill with Satori. (Speaking of which, if you're interested there's a big long list of the skills she can learn, which I'd personally recommend since you don't have any of her really good ones).

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

BlitzBlast posted:

Is it even worth it to bother with Satori's pain in the rear end Blue Magic? Even in the party split-up sections, I don't think you're ever left with just Satori.

The short answer is maybe.

The longer answer requires you to examine what you want out of her, as well as from the game. Satori's usefulness - as is proper for Blue Mages - is entirely dependent upon how much effort you're willing to put into her. If you're playing the Weekend version of the game, her learning rates have been massively boosted, so learning her good spells isn't that bad, depending on your tolerance for this sort of thing.

Satori has access to every element in the game, including single-targets, multi-targets, and breath attacks (which you can pair up with either MP-Draining daggers or the MP-drain ability in the Staff tree to make her very MP efficient). She also has slayer effects built into a few of her moves, both magical and physical.

She can do good damage early game with Demon Shock (which is both cheaper and more damaging than the vanilla variant Shadow Boom). Mid-late game you would ideally learn Mad Thunder from Iku, which does excellent damage. In the late game she can keep competitive with stuff like Holy, Meteor, Medoroa, Dark Giga Flare and Medullite Beam. As you head deep into the expansion content her damage does start to fall off until she achieves an 11th hour super power-up in the form of Punish the Judgement, which is the single strongest attack in the entire game.

She has heals in both single-target, area, and full-party varieties. She has access to damage-prevention tools like Reflect Wall, Leaf Shield, and Starlight Barrier (all of which are fantastic). She has status healing, a (very good) defense buff, and revival skills. She has fun status-effect attacks like Petro Breath, Enervate, Time Stop, and Mind Blast. She can deal surprisingly good physical damage with Acala Sword. She can yukkuri-farm with Hyper Fang Crush or Shredder.

Basically, Satori is amazing, if you can put up with learning all the skills she brings to the table. The only reason why I'd say Sakuya is a better character than her is because Private Square is OP as gently caress.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Hokuto posted:

Thank you so much for this, and for the Satori link! This will make my life a lot easier.

No biggy. The wiki actually has quite a bit of useful info, including every chest in the game, plus images for the Orichalcon and Adamantite Shards (which you've completely missed, not that I blame you).

As a corollary to the above, I got bored an decided to beat the expansion's final boss using only one party, when you are normally entitled three.

So yeah, here's a thing, if you're bored and have 15 minutes.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Arujei posted:

So I thought I'd try out Genius of Sappheiros, but the English translation pack I downloaded seems to just straight up break the game. I have the base 3.0, and the translation said I need 3.1, but I can't find any patch for that. Am I just doing something wrong?

I tried looking all around just now, including on Strawberry Bose's website, but I couldn't seem to find a download link either.

Fortunately(?) I am a pack-rat that never deletes anything, so I still had the update file in my folders. This should do it.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Yeah, run it in the same folder and it should patch everything automatically, as I recall it.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
So, ZUN may need to fix some of the mechanics of DDC for the full game.

For those not keeping track, he earned 9 lives in 3 stages (3, 2, and then 4), and just from casual observation, it seems like you could squeeze at least 2 more out with some optimization.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I don't suppose I could request the assistance of one of the people hear that are good at reading/translating Japanese? There's a thing that I could really use some help with, as it's a bit too big for my meager skills to handle alone.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

ProfessorProf posted:

I'm not fluent, but I can usually fumble my way through text if it isn't too huge. What's the thing?

Sent you a PM.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

BlitzBlast posted:

Because it's so popular nobody gives Night Falls the attention it deserves. :argh:

Concealed the Conclusion had the right idea.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

CommissarMega posted:

So I'm guessing C85's arranges are starting to come out? Because things are looking good if stuff like dBu's Adept Beat Shcerzo are the norm. The beeping in the middle can take some getting used to, but it kind of grows on you, I think. And honestly, I'm not used to dBu being this playful with their arranges, so it's taken on a really charming tone (beat? :v:) for me.

It's supposed to emulate the sound effects from her survival card, and its not the first arrange to pull the same gimmick (though its the first I've heard that didn't just rip the sound effects from the game).

One of these days someone will figure out how to make a good Little Princess arrange, but it seems it will take a while yet :(.

e: actually on second thought dBu's version is pretty good, albeit very safe.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 6, 2014

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
PCB is still my favorite just because of how much time I've spent playing it, but DDC is probably my second favorite.

UFO sucks though. :livintrope:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
If you've never seen them before, by the way, it's worth checking out his Len'en series.

Evanescent Existence
Earthen Miraculous Sword

EMS in particular has the coolest loving Last Word I've ever seen.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

HGH posted:

His stage design is really bad compared to his bosses. The bosses all have pretty fancy attacks and gimmicks and make you think how to dodge even starting with stage 1, but most of his stage enemies seem to consist of "high speed weaklings that appear suddenly and all fire streamable bullets". They're still nice games and have interesting mechanics though, but he really needs to work on the levels for the third game.
His original music is still pretty fine though.

Yeah I guess I should have put a disclaimer on that that his stage design is nothing spectacular. He does do some neat things with enemy patterns every so often, but it's pretty clear that he puts most of his effort into the bosses (which I don't necessarily disagree with). Some of his spellcards really are fantastic though. Just never try to beat EMS's Absurdly Extra stage, because it's pretty absurd :v:.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm still holding out for "Let's Translate Devil of Decline". :unsmigghh:

I could hypothetically do this with some assistance, but then I remember my various attempts and failures to work up the effort to LP Genius of Sappheiros, and it just seems like trying to LP an inferior game would be a lost cause.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

HGH posted:

StrawberryBose went in a weird direction after GoS and have been delivering some really mixed results ever since, but I think they have some good in there. Mostly they just seem greedy with the amount of unpolished stuff they release.

They've been increasingly focused on delivering "professional" quality titles, which basically means making increasingly casual games. GoS was probably the best game they've ever made (and one of the best RPGs ever made in my highly biased opinion); that one tower defense thing they made was kinda decent if simple; Devil of Decline was a bit too easy but still pretty fun if you know how to break it; Phantasmal Summoners was a pretty neat idea and fun enough, though nothing special; Touhou Quest was honestly pretty boring, which makes me sad considering that it was using .hack's world generation system; Nightmare of Rebellion is really pretty but gently caress I hate playing it, Main Doppels staying dead and being unrevivable is tedious as gently caress and is largely the reason why I've never beaten it.

I'd wager they'll probably keep on the same track they have been, which makes me a bit sad since their games have steadily been getting worse to play, in my opinion, although the production values are also getting pretty impressive.

HGH posted:

Honestly it's not that bad if you're just going through the main game once. There's been a few videos/LP that have shown you can do a lot even with the underpowered characters and without any grinding.
The sequel on the other hand improves on the original in almost every possible way. Well, sort of, since it lifts some features wholesale from EO.

Labyrinth 2 is pretty much better in every way from the first game with one possible exception. What it gained in customization and options, it lost in difficulty. I mean, Byakuren can permanently maintain 100% buffs on herself with no degradation while also copying those buffs to other characters, Aya's instant turn and ability to full a character's ATB are crazy broken in some cases, Suika can (with some preperation) three-shot bosses from full health, Komachi can be built to regenerate more HP every turn than she'll ever take in damage, and Yuyuko can perpetually keep a boss from ever getting their turn. And that's not even touching post-nerf Hina who was on an entirely different level of broken.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Hivac posted:

I hope so. I remember hearing about people eventually just cheating exp into the game because of the absolutely absurd requirements that eventually needed to be met.

That was only for the extreme post-game. Or maybe Eientei/Rinnosuke if you were a scrub :smug:.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I remain completely confident, as I have since I beat FMW1 for the first time, that Byakuren and Shinki are just red herrings, and the final boss will be Sariel. Dunno if Shiro is Sariel, but she has no real characterization otherwise so it's not like they'd be contradicting canon too hard.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Oh, people are talking about an RPG I've beaten 8 times. A bit slow but I guess I'll put my HGH hat on and mass quote.

Hokuto posted:

It's really fun up until the point that you start dying to anything and everything.

This only kinda happens in a couple areas, and it's generally avoidable either with planning or just by killing everything first, which the game gives you plenty of tools to do.

Kanos posted:

Did you forget about the part where the game gives absolutely no experience to your non-active party members and there are multiple dungeons that require you to form several discrete parties simultaneously? Most of my friends got around the issue by using cheat engine to hack everyone to the same level, but I never bothered.

You get a massive boost to EXP gains with low-level characters in later dungeons, so it shouldn't take more than like 6/7 battles to get them reasonably caught up for anything you'd need to do with them. And if you're stubborn, there's very few situations where you actually have to use all your party members. Tewi/Reisen and the 3 seafood sisters are specifically designed to be fought with sub-optimal parties. You can mostly avoid the party split sections by just killing every enemy on one path with your main party, then switching so your secondary party can just run for the switches unopposed. And both the main and expansion Final Bosses can be beaten with one party.

FANSean posted:

it is to my understanding that Genius of Sappheiros boils down to "Use Alice and Mokou or use Cheat Engine"

Alice is a very convenient tank in a game that has lots of high damage attacks, but I can only think of a few bosses where I'd call her nigh-mandatory, and you can probably still figure out a way around those. I dunno where you got Mokou though. maybe you're thinking of Sakuya who is actually the best party member in GoS by a mile

BlitzBlast posted:

My biggest memory of GoS was an absurdly unfun battle against the RNG during the Yuyuko/Youmu boss. Sure is great randomly getting slaughtered in one turn, and not even by instant death.

You don't get to complain about RNG, you are literally the unluckiest person in the world.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
On the other hand, some people are totally fine with it! It might at least be worth trying for a little bit to see if he cares enough.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Widdiful posted:

Reimu on stage 4 is way harder than Marisa because she just flies across the screen and it's nearly impossible to hit her.
Unless I'm an idiot, that is.

Here is a video I made of Stage 4R when I was doing a Sakuya Solo run for the second-generation Touhou LP. Skip to 4:00 if you wanna see how to easily deal with her teleporting (because that's basically what it is - don't try to follow her).

e: I guess it's worth noting that I find Reimu way easier than Marisa.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Might as well throw Sariel and Remilia's hobgoblin troupe in there too.

Pinguliten posted:

So I recently got into playing midis again and finally got myself a few Roland Synths, among others the SC-88 which is quite close to what Zun used (SC-8850), at least on the earlier games. So you all remember when the demos came with midi files, thought it sounded like crap and then just switched to the WAVs once you got the full versions? Well it turns out the midis actually does sound rather OK if you got decent hardware:
Imperishable Night - Voyage 1969 in flac recorded off of my Roland SC-88.
I've always liked this one and the piano samples sounds quite good on the 88. Granted, it doesn't sound as good as the WAV but it's not that far off and it might be even closer if I got myself a SC-88Pro.
If you do a search for touhou and midi on youtube you'll pretty much just end up with bad synthesia so I thought it would be fun to post this.

This is actually really cool, kinda surprised me to hear how good it sounded.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

HGH posted:

I enjoy that its Hard Mode is basically just "Here's a challenging level to fight bosses at. No, you're not allowed to grind. Stop it.".
Also the ability to reset/customize stats at any moment as freely as you want is rather nice.
There's supposedly an expansion on the way too.

EDIT: Oh, and the one unbeatable boss battle that just rewards you based on how much damage you manage to do in total. That was a cool idea.

You can actually beat Tenshi in her first appearance on 6F (without grinding). It's pretty tough since you only have 10 turns, but you can do it and get some good items for it.

e: btw everyone listen to the brilliant and smart FractalSandwich and buy LoT2, it is a Good Game.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I think I am the only person in the world that finds Reisen harder than Reimu.

Marisa's still stronger than both tho ze

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

PrinnySquadron posted:

Mokou being kicks-only is reminding me of another fighting game character and its bothering me because I can't remember who.

She kinda reminds me of Yamazaki, but that might just be the pockets thing.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
To break away from translation chat for a moment, I'm probably gunna stream Genius of Sappheiros tomorrow around 11 AM Pacific (or maybe later I guess, if enough people complain at me). It's probably the only way I'm going to do a LP of GoS because gently caress screenshotting stuff , so if it at all interests you, come check it out or something.

e: someone pointed out to me that most people have jobs at sane times so I'll probably do it more around 3 PM actually.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 4, 2015

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
15's demo is available from various sources now. Gunna be streaming it here in half an hour. Hopefully someone will figure out the mechanics for me by then!

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
It's the former, but you can basically use it like the latter. Bombs don't get restocked when you die in that mode btw, you get set back at the check point in exactly the same state you were at that moment in time (minus 0.01 power), so if you ran out of bombs before a tough section, prepare to spend 10 minutes learning how to go through it, Super Meat Boy/I Wanna Be the Guy-style.

Even aside from that, the difficulty has been seriously ramped up. I was playing on normal mode and struggling, despite being a mostly hard-mode player. Admittedly some of that was due to fatigue after a while, but holy poo poo some of those Normal-mode patterns felt like they came out of Hard or even Lunatic. All-in-all probably the hardest Touhou game to date.

In any case, I'm switching to streaming ULiL now (link again for new page). I don't care about ZUN's rules or whatever so come check it out if you wanna see ~spoilers~

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Dr Pepper posted:

Gamepad. L Button is Focus, R Button is Shoot, Face Button is Bomb. :colbert:

Objectively inferior to keyboard, hth

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I am sad Devil of Decline has 0 chance but oh well, there's a translation patch being made for it anyway.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Everybody vote for all 3 of those or else I'll :livintrope:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

KataraniSword posted:

no, un owen is pretty overrated

especially since ZUN insists on rehashing it for every other EX stage theme

Remember, kids: a vote for UN Owen Was Her is also a vote for Heian Alien, Hartmann's Youkai Girl, and Lonesome Werewolf.

Wait what?

Those other three are kinda similar I guess (though one of them isn't even a Extra theme but whatever) but UN Owen is pretty different from all of them.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I may need to purchase a Japanese Vita TV.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Alice probably ain't a gensokyo native and may not even have originally been human exactly,

Just to mention, Alice is definitely a former human. There's an entire section in PMiSS about human-turned-Magicians and naturally-born-Magicians and they explicitly mention Alice as being the former (and Patchouli as the latter). There's even a section in her profile about how she still has some old human habits like eating and sleeping, since she only recently turned.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Release GoS already, I need another excuse to play it.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Only because they're doping :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Chapter just came out so i guess i'll keep my comments spoilered.

Great chapter, it managed to tie in to the events of ULiL reasonably well while also building on the overall themes of the story and advancing Kosuzu's arc significantly. We've always known that she's had an interest in youkai and such considering the whole youma book thing, and there's been lots of times she brushed with the supernatural and come away not only not scared, but even more interested than before. Now she's gone as far as wondering if she can "go to that side" herself, and considering how her ability has gotten stronger lately, it's looking like that might just happen.