Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm trying to buy IOSYS's new album (which they say can be shipped overseas) but I can't quite understand the instructions.

http://www.iosysshop.com/hpgen/HPB/entries/2.html#foreign

Am I supposed to e-mail them, or use the support forum? If there's a way to just buy these in a downloadable format that would be okay too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Volt Catfish posted:

What a mess of a roster. What happened to the theme, ZUN?

The theme is mostly still there. It's the main characters, the warring factions, Nitori's SCIENCE, and, uh, Koishi's not-caring? Okay it's a bit messy. I'm disappointed in the small number of characters, but seeing some interesting picks like Koishi and Nitori make me happy.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Stop saying SA, it makes me think there is somehow a Something Awful/Touhou crossover.

Who am I kidding, it probably already exists.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Aliginge posted:

As a recently new resident, I am culturally obliged to post Setz's new comic.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1456681?pool_id=1754

The joke, in case some of you didn't get it (like me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrrBEXbhRLQ

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Kheldragar posted:

She might be dead, but her memory will live on in the PC-98 fans like me who would just wish that ZUN would turn his head back on the past and notice the old games' existance again. Or I could do the logical thing and give up all hope of her ever returning in any form not fan-related.

I think there would be less hope if Alice and Yuuka weren't resurrected with no warning or explanation.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

PerOlus posted:

Zun tweeted tonight that he's considering the overseas market:
https://twitter.com/korindo/status/371114738916147200

Wasn't there some sort of issue with American copyright laws? I wouldn't want the games over here if it meant losing fanworks. Official translations and spellings would be cool though. Even if they conflict with whatever's popularly accepted.

ZUN'll probably say something about it when he shows up at Anime Weekend Atlanta.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

gnome7 posted:

Nothing is more romantic than a beam. :colbert:

ZUN posted:

Marisa's lesson of how to "Spark". Concentrate your mind, Mutter the spell to Mini-Hakkero tenderly, Aim at someone you don't like, Now unleash your annihilation of love!

ZUN and Marisa clearly agree.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

FractalSandwich posted:

They'd have to be localized first. That's the real problem.

Touhou is pretty light on the text, isn't it?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That's disappointing but completely understandable. I can only hope he comes around to the idea eventually.

On the other hand, what good would releasing Touhou in the west really do? Would a person see Touhou on Steam and buy it without having heard of it before? Do there exist people who really want to play Touhou but only if they buy it (and won't import)?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Clarste posted:

Most of the symbols in that book seem like stock images. I'm sure he got it from somewhere. Touhou just happens to be way more popular than than "somewhere".

Really? I thought they all looked like they had a unified art style. At the very least they seemed to have been drawn by the same person.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I just love how the Aki Sandwich continues to be "a thing."

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Ranpire posted:

So, at today's Bitsummit talk, ZUN announced that in the near future he's going to sell "the newer Touhou games" overseas, via some sort of online download outlet, the details of which are still being worked out. This represents a massive policy shift, and since ZUN is pretty much the figurehead of doujin game development these days, it's possible that a lot of other devs will follow suit. Cool stuff.

Here's hoping he makes an informed decision. I would hate to see him sign an exclusive deal with a no-name company and limit his possible audience. It shouldn't have any trouble getting on Steam, right?

I wonder how he got past the whole copyright thing.

^Figurehead is not the right word...he's certainly an ideal to live up to. Makin' games, drinkin' beers, and designing frilly dresses.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
He could always buy a fan translation. The wiki's is actually good, right?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Namtab posted:

That bitch line is now canon.

You have no idea how happy this would make me.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Of course she's there. Only an idiot would try to gamble with these cheaters.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Kheldragar posted:

But did it have to be UN Owen? :sigh:

Like it or not, it sure sounds impressive on piano. As much as I'd like to see a ten-year-old play Native Faith.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

FractalSandwich posted:

Is there any official map of Gensokyo anywhere? I'm using its geography as a test for something and I have to make sure I get my facts right, don't I? :v:

Nope. I guess you could try to infer stuff from the print works.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Sooo, it's yukkuris all the way down?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Gensokoumuten is great. He's managed to draw Touhou comics with OCs and not make me mad about it, which is impressive enough, but all his art is really expressive and his world is neat.

My only Touhou wallpaper:

The only one subtle enough to use in my dorm room without feeling weird about it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Reimu and Marisa are in first, of course, but Koishi's in third. Hopeless Masquerade really got her some fans.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
GIS tells me that she may or may not have worn a hat. The jury's out on her eligibility.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I think it'd be hilarious if Touhou finally gets brought to the west and the "official" translations turn the entire fandom on its head. What are the chances that ZUN grabs a translator who doesn't already know Touhou, or that he's willing to mess with the established fan versions?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
So, does "floating away from reality" count as out-of-bounds, or traveling, or what

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's not too late to order one of those Touhou Peanuts books, is it?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
If it's that much trouble, don't bother.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but I'm pretty sure Sakuya's design is of the sort that appeals to certain people.

Yeah, fans of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
And here it is in English!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7fId7MN-7s

It definitely focuses on the bad parts of the fandom, but in that regard it may as well be a feature on Otaku in general. Border of Ecstasy, Innocent Key songs, and they spend like half the video talking to some fat dude dressed as Patchouli (who calls himself Cirno).

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Hokuto posted:

I imagine he went with it because it's what's already being used and recognized, and nobody uses Toho for the games. Sometimes fan communities influence these things, for better or for worse.

Honestly I think it's for the better sometimes. If Zun goes ahead and names a certain EX boss "Frandle", some sort of nerd war will break out.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

WarpedNaba posted:

I thought it was because she was an evangelizing ditz?

Well, it's because everyone thinks she's stuffy and uptight. Since she doesn't go to parties, she never meets anybody.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I've played dinky RPG Maker games with a text grabber + machine translator, but that probably won't work for something as complicated as FMW.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Does bkub still go to NY ComicCon? I remember buying from him two years ago, but I seem to have missed him last year. I can't imagine it's profitable.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

HGH posted:

Say, what's up with the shape of the ravine? It almost looks like it has a marble tile floor of sorts. When was the first time it showed up in stories anyway? I recall seeing that shape in fanstuff as early as 2010 I think.

I feel like I've seen that ravine before in one of the 3 Fairies chapters.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Well, it would be pretty surprising for Kogasa to not show up in the game about spooky stuff. But really, I'm digging the "seven mysteries of the school" thing the cover's got going on. Though I don't know how urban legends propagate in a land without urban centers.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Slowbeef is unable to 1cc any Touhou games other than SA, which he did while caring for a newborn child. Therefore SA is actually the easiest game (or having a child gave Slowbeef superhuman anime powers).

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

Kanako is the only one who has actually spent the last few centuries still working to gather faith and she knows that flashy kungfu displays don't draw followers, just rubberneckers,

Kanako is the deity that Gensokyo needs. She's campaigning on lowering the (faith) deficit, and she even has shovel-ready jobs (in the form of a ski-lift).

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm considering playing Touhou. Would I miss anything for skipping the Dos games?

Not a thing. I've never found the PC-98 games to be very fun.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
To top it off, the bullet patterns aren't as cool as the later games. Subterranean Animism may be one of the hardest in the series, but drat if it isn't pretty.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

amuayse posted:

Isn't Maya from the Ace Atttorney games a Miko?

I thought she was a psychic. As far as I've played, she hasn't channeled any gods, she just waves some trinkets and talks with the dead.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I was excited when that NHK special said that ZUN was looking to localize "the next major game", but then I realized that they also said Reimu was a "shaman called a danmaku" so I basically have to ignore the entire thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'd recommend that Aya become an actual journalist, but there aren't even any scandals to cover in Gensokyo. In fact, Gensokyo has reverse scandals and mysteries, like when Hisoutensoku turned out to be a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tubeman.