Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Inverness posted:

It provides shade and lets her look cool when she peeks menacingly beyond the brim at the person coming up to the gates of the mansion.

When really she's just taking a siesta and nobody is the wiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Fluo posted:

Why is Renko Usami so under rated

Because there isn't much to her and Maribel/Merryberry is much more interesting to speculate on.

ULiL giving us Renko's likely ancestor is a pleasant surprise though.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Trihugger posted:

What I'm reading here is an endorsement for Clownpiece 2016.

I'm picturing Clownpiece as the candidate, Mamizou as her sly and cunning campaign manager, and now I've spent the last five minutes trying to find a way this would be out of place with the clown show we've got now.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Serious question: Is there supposed to be a difference in translating Dream instead of Fantasy? It just seems a weird thing to quibble on.

I don't mind the name Dream Seal, but the two words already seem linked when talking about Gensokyo. Look at Maribel Hearn's story, or Sumireko Usami's recent appearance in the manga.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

El Burbo posted:

The future really is a dystopia if common alcohol doesn't even get you drunk

Clearly, Merry went back in time and became Yukari so she could create a utopia where everybody can get right properly drunk.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Clarste posted:

This one bugs me a bit since a bunch of people are arguing about it, but I'd like to note that Sakuya never said she didn't have time powers. She's just casting Quick on herself instead of Stop on the enemy. That's it, that's all it meant.

In context, I read this as her power being the ability to manipulate the flow of time for herself, but not for others.

Her WaHH moniker now makes much more sense: "Maid of the Lightning Speed" (from Touhou Wiki)

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Golden Battler posted:

I like how it was obvious from literally before the first chapter even came out that Kasen was going to be a secret Oni, but then the real twist was she was one of the Youkai Sages.

It even retroactively explains why Yukari would be friends with Suika.

It really does fit in perfectly. If the Four Devas of the Mountain were supposed to be a big thing, it'd make sense for one of them to be a Youkai Sage, a voice of authority in Gensokyo and probably responsible in part for the Barrier, (Do we even need to spoil this any more?) but Suika and Yuugi don't really fit that idea very well. If Kasen really is one of the Big Four, she'd fit the role perfectly. In retrospect, Yukari and Suika clearly met through Kasen.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Please tell me I'm not the only one that started Clownpiece's theme when she started the tour. I found the song fitting.

The last line is also fantastic.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
It also sells more books if she says Yukari's big, scary, and unknowable. So really, everybody wins. Except the ones that aren't Yukari and Hieda, I guess.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Yukari about to make an offer that Kosuzu can't refuse

And she didn't show up in her casual wear. This feels like the moment where poo poo starts going down.

I like Marisa's gloves. It's a good look for her.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 25, 2017

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Eiki told Marisa that she has lied so much that she's already condemned to hell for lying so much.

Marisa's response to this was to claim she's never lied in her entire life.

You be you, Marisa.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Kosuzu lets her hair down.

I'm seeing another reason humans from the village are forbidden from becoming youkai, though.

I wouldn't trust Kosuzu's sense of Gensokyo's balance right now. Even if she thinks she's acting for the humans in the village, this is not a good mental state for whatever's about to happen.

Seriously, with just a few reasonable changes, that full page shot of Kosuzu looks scary as gently caress.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 26, 2017

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

A Sometimes Food posted:

Just read your summary of the last chapter of FS Clarste. So two questions cause I'm a loving idiot

Kosuzu is a youkai now?

And Yukari's plot was that humans like Kosuzu can become youkai as long as they cause enough trouble that Reimu has to fight them because that preserves the divide between humans and youkai?

I'm basing this off the non-Clarste translated chapter before this one and Clarste's description of the last chapter. To answer your first question, no, that's not what happened.

Kosuzu is fully human and always was. She was being possessed by the Night Parade Scroll, or rather the youkai or demon that was possessing the scroll. It sounds like Reimu has decided to bring Kosuzu in to the "secrets" of the side of Gensokyo that most villagers will never see. Before this point, Reimu and Marisa tried to keep Kosuzu out of danger, but Reimu has realized that the bookseller is too curious to stop herself. The possession incident just reaffirms all of this. As for Kosuzu's current status, I'd say she's a youkai-like human, like Marisa and Reimu herself.

As for Yukari's part in all of this-- you know what, I'm not even going to put this in spoilers. This has become more about my headcanon of Yukari's Gensokyo than about the chapter.

Yukari's goal in Gensokyo is balance. Yukari doesn't want Reimu to start exterminating youkai just because. Gensokyo was sealed away to preserve the existence of youkai. If Reimu, another Hakurei shrine maiden, or even just plain old humans start eliminating youkai completely, Gensokyo might as well become the Outside World.

For Yukari's perfect fantasy to exist, Youkai need a Humanity that can hold them in fear, awe, and wonder. But you actually need humans for that, and if the system was left to its own devices random youkai attacks would wear down what humans exist. That's why humans are meant to exterminate youkai. But if Humanity becomes too successful in exterminating youkai and too comfortable in its existence, they lose their wonder of the unknown and risk entering an inhuman mindset. That's what went wrong with the fortune teller way back when, and it's the fate Reimu feared would befall Kosuzu. It's a balance between being Human and Youkai, not just in Gensokyo but in certain individuals, too. The games and manga make it look like humans are no different than youkai, but we only see the interesting humans willing to go out and face the unknown. We don't see the boring everyday humans that huddle in the safety of their village because they fear what lies outside the walls.

In terms of this incident: Kosuzu might have lost some of the fear she's had before, but I don't think she'll lose the awe and wonder, and I doubt she's suddenly going to become a youkai. Most of Marisa's adventures begin with curiosity stemming from seeing something new, and no one's accusing her of being a youkai (more than usual). Yukari's role in this specific incident: She played on Reimu's habit of drinking with the people she was just fighting with. It caused Reimu to hesitate long enough for Yukari to escape. Yukari's goal in this was to get Reimu to see Kosuzu not as a threat to everything Gensokyo's meant to be, but as a personal enemy subject to Reimu's ways of friendship.*

*Ways that are very much like a certain laser-wielding Magical Girl.**
**No, I don't mean Marisa.***
***Where the hell did my life go wrong that I have to specify that?

Clarste, reading your Tumblr, I don't know where these people are coming from asking "Is this really the end of Forbidden Scrollery? Couldn't it continue?" As a series, FS was leading straight to what we just saw, and the story is obviously done now. And if I'm reading the end of your post right, I almost guarantee the next time we see Kosuzu it's going to be in a game.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 26, 2017

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
After seeing Yukari's last word and hearing it referenced the teke teke, I had to look that up because I've never heard of it before.

Jesus Christ, Yukari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Clarste posted:

The Yakuza are all goasts, the robots are immune to goasts though because they have no souls. So the Goast Yakuza have to go call in the Cleaners, ie: Reimu.

Is the Extra Stage Reimu coming in to break the Yakuza's kneecaps because they haven't paid her yet?

Because that's something I could see happening.