Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

rizzen posted:

Can confirm. The fanservice never really goes away entirely, but the focus entirely shifts from it to something very worth reading. Highly recommended.

I can't really recommend a manga when fully half of it is trashy and kind of dull, even though I really like the other half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Akamatsu has improved his art and writing to an incredible degree over the years. There are still many mangaka who are better at one or both, but he is the only one I can think of who has come so far while still putting out work of a consistent level. You just have to respect the hard work it must have taken on top of the already soul-crushing grind of doing a weekly manga.

Dude still loves drawing naked girls, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Rave Master got stuck in power level hell. Eventually, whenever a new villain showed up their designated opponent couldn't touch them until they got a power-up of some kind. It became incredibly repetitive, and it isn't like the story was good enough to make up for bad fights.

Mashima seems to have learned some lessons from that, at least. In FT, power levels are largely non-existent and most of the fights are quite good. Though naturally, the story is still hot garbage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
For shounen, it sure does get grisly sometimes. I mean poo poo, Sicks' chair alone is probably too much for them to put on tv (not that it excuses the Neuro anime). I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop in assclass, because it is absolutely guaranteed that Koro's origin story is going to be unpleasant.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mygna posted:

We know since the first chapter that that is impossible actually, as the crystal didn't physically send him back in time, it just shoved his mind into his past body. There can't be a second version of himself running around in this or any other timeline.

It isn't even time travel. He got sent to a parallel reality, is all. This means that he won't ever encounter the same demon lord he killed before. So, if the demon lord's motivation requires having used the stone before, we won't ever find out what it was.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Bad writing, power creep. I dunno why you'd expect reborn of all things to be consistent- it wasn't even originally a shounen fighting manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like how even though the mc isn't all that bright, he is very smart when it comes to fighting. He likes to fight, but more importantly he likes to win fights so he doesn't really gently caress around. Plus, the crazy girl face that shows up everywhere is hilarious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So did they ever explain what the hell mafia in that setting were supposed to actually do aside from magic fights and occasionally wearing suits?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
My personal guess is that Meliodas accumulates power from magic in the environment like the rest of the demons, and like them he can't really gather much when it is all tied up in the population. This would be why he is so much weaker now than he apparently was in the past. Also, Merlin took 'something' from Meliodas other than his sword. As for the rest, King and Diane keep running away from their true potential; the current arc is probably going to help Diane with this. Ban doesn't have his sacred treasure. For Gowther and Merlin, who knows?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The difference is that all those demons were sealed, while Meliodas was out in the world using his power. I suspect the fight against the demon where they wrecked a kingdom also has something to do with it.

Gowther relies on mind manipulations, so it is entirely possible that learning more about emotions would make him more effective.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The parts that aren't about boring vr fighting aren't bad, but most of the series seems dedicated to the boring vr fighting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Actually, why the hell is so much effort dedicated to fighting other people with identical skill sets and weapons in world trigger when any real fights are guaranteed to be completely different? I can see doing it sometimes, as experience is experience, but that's all the training they ever do. Like, no classes on tactics, records of past (real) battles, magic bullshit physics, etc. They basically teach nothing aside from how to fight their own allies, and most certainly not how to cooperate with the dudes they were fake fighting the day before.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Then there is the fact that they seem to exclusively recruit japanese teenagers. There hasn't been any reason given for the part-time child soldiers thing. Why the heck are all of these parents allowing their kids to dedicate their lives to this to the detriment of their education and future prospects? I like the art, but everything else is just a huge mess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Suspension of Disbelief is a hell of a thing. You know you've hosed up if people are confused by your otherworldly invader story but can roll with something like Toriko or Assassination Classroom.

None of the gaping holes in world trigger's setting are so extreme that they couldn't be explained away. Only, there hasn't been any attempt at doing so. Just say that teenagers have some advantage in using magic particles or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pandaK posted:

The one big issue I had with the whole thing is that the MC was absolutely completely unremarkable, and I get that that's part of what's special about him, but is that still the case? Is he still completely scrub tier or does he have something, ANYTHING, that he's developed so far?

He was originally very far below average, but now he has become about average. He tries to make up for the skill gap with strategy, with mixed results. But really, his main advantage over his peers is that most of them are dumb kids on power trips and he has a very realistic understanding of his own strength. He has no advantages at all over the top tier people, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I liked Ueki, especially how bizarre the powers got later on. But if the guy can't manage charmingly strange in his manga any more, what else does he have?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Right, they dropped the idea of those talents being relevant at all fairly early.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The mc's power was neat and rather unique. Other than that, it was merely okay.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wish that gamble fish wasn't so relentlessly creepy about women. How many times does it really need to use girls as bets? It really is a pity, because I love all of the other weirdness. Instead of moving on to other enemies, it kept elevating the nosferatu dorm manager to a higher status as the story went on which just plain owns.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Black Clover remains rather generic, but it is starting to grow on me. I like how douchenozzle elitists look down on the mc, but everyone else kind of shits themselves at how potentially dangerous he is. The elitists even have a vested interest in keeping him down instead of just being dicks for the sake of being dicks, as their status relies on their innate magic power.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in black clover you can understand why all the ladies love the mc because he is ripped in a world of skinny wizards

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like Togashi's art, but his writing is so much better. No matter what his deal is (and no, no one knows for certain what that is despite confident proclamations to the contrary), it would be great if hxh started up again even with a different artist.

poo poo, we are never gonna see that crazy outer world arc in any form.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I really like the strange relationship between the three leads in kyokou suiri. Also, the girl who died was totally the sister, though that doesn't really explain where the murder ghost comes in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

It's shounen as hell with a really weird premise but kinda interesting?

Story is semi-steam/dieselpunkish world where there's some spiritual phenomena where people spontaneously combust and become fire monster demon things. And people with fire-related superpowers come from the same phenomena and they kill the fire monsters.

Points for originality I guess.

Well it would be original if not for the fact that that mangaka already did a series with a mostly identical protagonist who also had fire powers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Erg posted:

This is the soul eater guy, are you thinking of blue exorcist?

I was, yes. My mistake.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude wants to draw naked girls and use the story as an excuse to provide insect facts. it doesnt seem nearly as strange when you consider it is just some guy's attempt at combining his fetishes into a coherent work.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://bato.to/reader#14ecc54f5853516b

i dont follow this manga and only clicked on this chapter on a whim. protein baby is the character of the decade.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I just read "Alive - The Final Evolution." It was a pretty mediocre series. I liked a lot of the characters, but the plot really dragged on in the second half. It also had one of the most disappointing results in terms of who the protagonist chose to date in the end. The two options were 1. this one cool character who was part of his group for the entire series, had a good personality, and even had the guts to kiss him and 2. childhood friend that was literally brainwashed for 95% of the entire series and has no personality traits other than "is nice." Like, I honestly can't comprehend why the author (and I guess most Japanese readers?) would prefer that outcome. It seems like most manga tend to have a bias against strong female characters, with the protagonist almost always ending up dating someone who has few personality traits other than "nice" and "childhood friend." Strong female characters still exist, but they almost always lose out in the end.

The funny thing about that manga is that the author literally finished it on his deathbed. His magnum opus was a mediocre shounen fighting manga, which I don't think will ever stop being funny.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

That's sad actually. I think you lack empathy and compassion

This is true.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh my god that girl's trouble magnetism puts every other character in this franchise to shame. A text about chopsticks = SECRET MURDER SQUAD ABDUCTION.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Davincie posted:

helck is cool

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It quickly got mired in power level hell and only escaped when it got cancelled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Crazy, akame ga kill actually did something unexpected for once. A happy ending, of all things! I kept expecting it to cut away to those two being killed as soon as they left.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ahahahaahaa, the best chapter black clover will ever have just came out. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Black-Clover/Ch-044--Siblings?id=260238

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

First comment on the page:

I am so in

That is inaccurate. Saitama is unreasonably strong and a complete failure at every other aspect of life. Helck is unreasonably strong and seems to be good at everything he tries despite being a weird shirtless muscle man.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like team "rad as heck ladies".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I find it kind of odd that they had an arc focusing on a girl who was casually killed off in a book released years earlier. Like, why bother? Due to the entire index/railgun continuity taking place over such a short period of time Frenda is going to die in at most what, a month after this story? poo poo, she might not even have lasted long enough for the mackerel date.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Minor villains from the 800 different all caps english name evil groups die all the time. You know, like Frenda.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Twiddy posted:

All the no names that get focus in side materials that cause people to have a real interest in them living later. Could so easily be a case of "circumstances change."

What, is Frenda no longer dead then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ao no Exorcist is pretty good, but the gag spinoff is better.