Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

toanoradian posted:

BREAKING NEWS! Weird people come to Tokyo. Kiruko 14.

That was excellent. It's not usually the case that ordinary people in a shonen manga react to stuff like Kiruko like an ordinary person should. Kiruko's face of disappointment at the coldness of the big city was excellent. A good chapter, not fishing for very awkward fanservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Two new chapters of: Hadaka no Taiyou.

I really get the feeling that this is a cross between Yankee-Kun & Megane-Chan and Bakuman. We've got a club led by a feisty but one-track-minded girl, and they get into all sorts of hijinks, and the theme is making manga. The art style kinda reminds me of YK&MC as well. It's some great stuff, check it out!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

The rumors are flying that Kiruko is going to be ending in WSJ Issue #22/23 and that Medaka Box will be ending in #24. Allegedly a new manga by Ohba/Obata (Death Note, Bakuman) will be coming out to replace one or both.

:sigh: Damnit. I knew something like this would happen. Original, creative manga never survive in WSJ.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm not sad for Medaka Box, but for Kiruko. I genuinely enjoyed the daily adventures of that naive but stupidly strong rookie cop! :unsmith:

Seems like I have a habit of enjoying WSJ manga that get canceled! I loved Oumagadoki Zoo, too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's a small consolation, but if you enjoyed his artstyle like I did, he has a Pixiv account. He loves drawing twisted-looking monsters and stuff.

gently caress yeah. :kamina:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Always nice to see another Konjiki no Gash Bell fan.

There's a new chapter of Sengoku Youko, in which there are some more cloud-on-roof actions.

I know she's a kid, but does anyone think Tsukiko looks too thin on the last page?

You know this really is the Best Shounen Manga. It's got everything that the typical shounen manga has: fights, training, rivals, saving a girl, I Must Not Run Away, POWER UPS :ssj: and all that. But he just does it sooooo well.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

The new Sket-Dan is here! And it's good! It's about Gesu and breasts sexy dinner.

I like Koma. :shobon: At least it's nice to see different female body types in a manga. It's pretty rare.

But that loving gesu guy, he ruins any chapter he's in. :argh:

EDIT: But he didn't ruin this one because he mostly kept his mouth shut. Gotta love Koma's family, and the Nausicaa reference.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 14, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Here's a pretty good shonen manga about bicycling! It kind of reminds me of Eyeshield 21, in that it has a sort of wimpy hero get sucked into a sport and then get really really good at it.

Yowamushi

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a radii hike posted:

This series is like... super, super shonen battle manga; you can directly mainline that poo poo, it's so pure.

As embodied by...

... this guy

I don't think he's even mentioned his name yet, but he's like the very definition of :ssj:HOT BLOOD.:kamina:

EDIT: Apparently it's "Naruko"?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 22, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Have you ever wondered what Thomas Edison would be like if he was reincarnated in the body of a Japanese schoolgirl? Because apparently that's what the latest Shonen Jump serial is about.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This is dumb. A forgivable sin, certainly, but it's also not particularly funny. The only part I laughed at was 'Just the tip!"

Also the art is pretttttyyy bad. I'm counting the weeks till this gets canceled. How did it even get serialized in the first place??

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Omniphile posted:

Since I got chastised for posting about it in the absurd slife thread, Nichibros is getting a live-action movie!

Heck yeah! I hope that the actors can portray the ... "unique" feeling of DLHSB. Though thinking about it, I've yet to see a Japanese live-action film or drama where I found the acting to be more than "passable". Well, high hopes anyway.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The latest SKET Dance is really hilarious! Can completely different and one-note secondary characters really fill the main characters' roles?! Find out now!!

It is really amazing seeing how they do.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yowamushi Pedal 35-43.

Wow, a ton of chapters seem to have been posted entirely without my knowledge! When did these suddenly appear? Last time I looked at it, it had only gotten up to chapter 35.

EDIT: Ohygosh, dudes, you have to try it, if you haven't! It's sooooo shounen, what that dude earlier said about being able to mainline it it's so crystal pure was right. My veins are boiling with all the :ssj:HOT BLOOD:kamina: this manga exudes! Hotblooded Bicycling!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 2, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Lectim posted:

This comic gets me so loving pumped.

Man, tell me about it! After I read this I totally went out for an 8 km bike ride.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Aww, no mentions for Yowamaushi Pedal? It's about cycling, I posted links to it a couple times before. Still, it seems like it'd be up your alley, it's got plenty of ~shonen friendship~ and HOTBLOODED COURAGE :kamina:!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

There's a new chapter of It's Not My Fault That I'm Not Popular! In this here chapter, a gamer turns her life into games.

Couldn't find The Onion article exactly about this same system, -10 points.

Read the chapter quickly hoping to post it with a witty way of saying "new chapter", only to find someone else had done it earlier, -50 points. :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Seven Deadly Sins, Chapter 30

That cover looks like a reference to Gurren Lagann! I can definitely see the influence in terms of the "feel" of the comic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Seven Deadly Sins 31

While it's indeed cool to have Elizabeth finally get to show off some fighting, I'm wondering why she didn't do anything earlier when she knew awesome super kung-fu from the beginning?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Someone drew a one-shot titled Jump Super Stars featuring all the big name protagonists of WSJ mangas.

Yes it is every bit as awesome as you would imagine that to be.

EDIT: Now I'm not actually sure if it's Murata.

Also, yes, it seems pretty old! But it's the first I've ever heard of it.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 12, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sket Dance 245-246

Dun dun!! I could see that Switch was the real admin from a mile away. Still, looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Though we know the ultimate outcome, of course.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Yowamushi Pedal just got shonen. If you are familiar with the manga, you should be aware of how remarkable this statement is.

In VOLUME 6, we meet the toughest team of rivals, the one equal to the main protagonist, the hint of something even greater within the main protagonist, people everywhere getting serious, intra-team rivalry Arc II, intra-team rivalry Arc II Part 2, Shonen friendship, and super Shonen friendship. All in all, deadly amounts of shonen with enough hot-bloodedness to keep a naked man alive in Siberia. Don't read in one sitting without heavy amounts of J-Rock on the side.

There is far more strategy to team biking than I ever thought. And holy goddamn, Onoda still hadn't had the complete biking equipment? By the time he wore all he should and riding a bike suited for him, he'll be the national champion.

Oh my god, when he meets his lil' rival, it's just sooooo shoneny!! This manga gets me so pumped up with excitement. It's really the best shonen.

What I like about it is that it has a positive tone to it. There aren't really any "evil" characters, everyone's just really competitive and devoted to biking. It's very nice and refreshing.

The art style is kind of janky, though, especially the faces. But it has a nice, sketchy, energetic sense to it that's perfect for the manga.

EDIT: YEAAHHHH! Nakama!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 16, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hmm. I guess it goes here, for lack of a different thread. It's not really "surreal" enough for the "Surreal Daily Life Manga" thread. But it's good and deserves a shout-out:

Today's Curry.

It's a gentle ordinary life sort of comedy, rather like Yotsuba, if Yotsuba's dad were the proprietor of a curry van and lived on an island with a few supernatural inhabitants alongside the humans. Two adolescent girls work at the van as well, a dark-haired, reserved girl, who reminds me of Miura from Yotsuba and a hyperactive girl who reminds me of Tomo from Azumanga Daioh. It's light, funny, and enjoyable.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Seven Deadly Sins

It's a pretty enjoyable chapter. Not so heavy on the fanservice, and Diane gets to do some nice fights. It's a good thing that she got shrunk down, since there's few opportunities for a giant to fight a normal opponent.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Get ready for more :ssj: BURNING SHONEN SPIRIT :ssj: because Yowamushi Pedal vol. 7 was just posted!!

EDIT:

OH MY GOD THEY'RE USING THE LOWER HANDLE BARS!!!! PWOOOOSSH! :aaa:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 20, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I love it whenever Roman appears, because it's always an excuse to break the fourth wall. It's just lovely. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ahhh, a heist plot executed in a way that only Sket Dance could've done. Brilliant. :allears:

EDIT: Ah, another Sket Dance. Always a nice thing to see!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 14, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Another 3 Sket Dance chapters just dropped.

Oh man! Himeko Onizuka wants to be a teacher! She'll be a great teacher, I'm sure. :v::rimshot:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Have you guys had enough :qq: in your day today? If you haven't, here's another 2 chapters of Koe no Katachi to revel in bittersweet melancholy!

It really is one of the most touching mangas. And the curly haired sidekick friend dude is really the best Curly Haired Sidekick Friend.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

This thread is getting pretty shounen itself, what with all the stronger people showing up out of nowhere! :v:

But yeah it's been like over a decade since I read Dan Doh!! My greatest memory of it is one scene where a bad guy gets an albatross and everyone reacts like he personally executed Mother Teresa and Gandhi at the same time.

My anime power is more true and more powerful than yours. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Folks, what do bugs, elementary school children, demonic teachers, and the meaning of grammar and punctuation have in common with each other?

They all come together in this one shot.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Koe no Katachi 17

What does that symbol at the end mean? Is it some kind of emoticon?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I couldn't even get past the first chapter. But to make this a little more relevant, does anyone have recommendations for decent shounen that has good treatment of its female characters? I'm not really looking for the usual fanservice and/or harem fare, and I prefer series where the female characters actually get to do interesting stuff.

EDIT: Some example of shounen series I really liked include Full Metal Alchemist, Kekkaishi, Sengoku Youko, Record of Fallen Vampire, Koe no Katachi...

Read One Piece. Getting the volumes (try the local library!) is highly recommended because of the terrible terrible online scanlation quality for the first half or so. If you can adapt to the somewhat unconventional art style, the story just ramps up and up and up!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Really, I think that if someone went into ADTRW saying that they were actually looking for recommendations on series with lots of fanservice and harems and such, they'd be laughed out rather quickly.

EDIT: Oh yes! Recommending for good female characters -- Attack on Titan! Some of the best, most badass female characters -- Annie and Mikasa are two examples -- are given front and center roles in parts of it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Whoa, looks like someone's been reading Battle Angel Alita

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

There's an actual sound effect for "Silken"!! The Japanese language is amazing!

EDIT: My expression when seeing something really REAAALLLLY ~:japan:ANIME:japan:~

EDIT2: Hell, I think I might get this for a new avatar!

Hmm.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 11, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Suben posted:

God the next chapter can't get here fast enough because I can't wait to see what Ueno's deal is. Those aren't the face and actions of a happy person.

I think that maybe she's just a quirky person and is really good at deadpan.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kaja Rainbow posted:

God knows that describes me. I actually own a pair of cat ears and a tail and I'm now sorely tempted to do something similar. But honestly, it wouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone that knew me.

Oh no, you've gotta do it to someone out on the street. Like if someone accosts you and tries to get you to donate money to their cause or something.

Just be all like :geno: "Meow."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

chefscientist posted:

I entered as well, but my chances were pretty slim since mine was barely shonen or manga (and can be read here).

I read your entry and it was really good (though definitely had 0% chance of winning the contest!), you should link it to folks in the Making Comics thread. +1 reader from me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Who's talking in the first panel of the last page? "You're still as foul-mouthed as ever. You'd better change that attitude of yours."

Is it Ishida saying that to Ueno, or the other way around?