Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Oh my god. Midousuji is the best. Hahaha, just look at this freaky rear end guy, I loved how he kept moving around in bizarre twisted ways. This is great!

EDIT: In my mind, Onoda is voiced by Spike Spencer (Shinji from Evangelion) and it is awesome.

Also, have you guys noticed that Onoda's starting to look pretty fit?

Just compare how he looks in this page:

-- with how he looked at the beginning of the comic. Our boy's growin' buff!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

All of a sudden, Ueno is like my favorite character in this manga now. It's really fun just seeing a really really mean girl. She's just mean and bitchy as gently caress and has the balls to call bullshit, and I respect that, even if she's not a pleasant character. It's awesome. Manga needs more antagonists like her.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Thing is, I'm not sure that she's being portrayed as a saint because she's disabled, or just because she's being the typical idealized shonen manga heroine. She really does slot into that specific female character archetype, and it's kind of unfortunate. I hope the author will allow her to be a bit flawed, or lose her temper, or act petty or be jealous, because she's been frightfully dull the past few chapters.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:ssj:

The next volume of Yowamushi Pedal was just translated!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

...I'm sorry. I'm not sure what happened. I think Yowamushi Pedal has an update of two volumes? I remember this brief spurt of excitement and a blinding white flash of burning spirit, but not much else.

Midousuji is the best godfucking drat character in the entire series.

:gonk: Ohgod, when Midousuji suddenly appeared out of nowhere at the end of chapter 94, that legitimately sent chills down my spine. He is just the creepiest dude. Amazing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Yumekui Merry continues to be way more entertaining than it has any right to be.

E: Batoto says it's seinen noooooooooooo

Ow my finger.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Fantastic! More Sket Dance! By the look of it the scanlators got their hands on a volume, so we should be seeing more chapters more frequently.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yowamushi Pedal 14

Ahahahaha. I completely crack up every time "Love✩Hime" is used as a powerup song.

Don't stop being crazy, Onoda-kun. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Blame Jump for treating Togashi so badly during YYH that the blank check style contract they gave him was the only way they could keep him from jumping ship to another magazine after it ended.

What was the story behind that? It sounds interesting. I've never read YYH or really followed the story around Togashi and his infamous habits before HXH.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pierson posted:

Yeah the election arc was seriously great and just made me like Ging more because it brought him down from the typical untouchable pedestal a lot of comics put their rarely-seen-hero-mentor-figures on, and was funny as hell too. Also the gang running the gently caress away from nen zombies.

A lot of us would be less salty about HxH if it just wasn't so drat good. I've never read YKK, does it hold up even today?

You mean Yu Yu Hakusho, not Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, right? :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hey guys, did you like Pacific Rim? Well, this is a lot like if you mashed together Pacific Rim with the human-transformation thing from Attack on Titan, and put it through a Shonen Jump wringer of sparkles and boyish optimism: Kiriwo Terrible. It's mindless shonen fun, and I enjoyed it. :)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh hey! I loved Toto and really enjoyed its short 4-volume run. The guy has a really neat artstyle, vaguely reminds me of Oumagadoki Zoo and Barrage.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HenryEx posted:

I don't think there's a thread for it and it's kinda hard to categorize, so i'll use this thread.

More Awkward Confessions Gone Wrong: the manga.

And appropriate BGM.

Dunno why i love this thing so much, but it has never disappointed me so far.

Did you miss the Miscellaneous Romance & Shoujo thread? This would go perfectly in there!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Rumiko Takahashi is hack and a profoundly dull writer. Tedious is really the best way to describe Inu Yasha and anything else she worked on. There is never decent payoff for slogging through the epic-length stories that claim to be romance, but never actually progress in any meaningful way.

I liked Maison Ikkoku. It ended pretty well, but the whole resolution to the romance was realllllllly dragged out. Like there's a whole five volumes or more from the couples' admission of love, through their wedding, and finally the end.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Look there's a Wizard of Oz manga. It's called orz.

AKA: :negative:-The Manga.

The art style is pretty unique, and I like the somewhat negative take on the characters.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hey, you pigs in human clothing!! There's a new chapter of Squid Girl!!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

The first thing I thought of was Wall Street Journal, which I have to say might be improved by a little overseas culture.

I am the opposite, where I think of "Weekly Shounen Jump" whenever I see someone mention WSJ. So actually, all those high-powered financial executives are really into Bleach, Naruto and One Piece! They are just hiding it behind newspapers so no one gets embarrassed! :haw:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Doraemon? Sgt. Frog? Meet Sgt. Dog: Lilienthal -- a manga about a talking, yellow, magical dog with some strange, reality-warping powers. It's the kind of good, clean all-ages fun that many manga sometimes lack.

I'm enjoying the slightly surreal flights of fancy and imagination, they remind me of the kinds of imaginary worlds I'd get lost in when I was a kid. Also, I really like the sister, she seems really sensible!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 26, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Two new chapters of SKET Dance, finally! Unfortunately, one of them is a chapter where the author attempts to do fanservice, and it's a little awkward. *ahem*

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The latest SKET Dance gets a little bit "Yowamushi Pedal" on us! :ssh: Not really.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh sweet! Someone finally got back to updating Supernatural Academy (Choujin Gakuen)! I've always loved the unique, offbeat drawing style of this one.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Two new chapters of SKET Dance!

I lost it at the "cold fingers". :laffo:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Has My Hero Academia been posted yet? Because it's a new series by the guy who did "Barrage" and "Oumagadoki Zoo", this time it's about lots of people getting superpowers and becoming Western-style superheroes! I love this guy's frenetic style! Let's count down the weeks until he gets canceled again. :suicide:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Have any of you guys read "My Neighbor Seki"? Do you like it? Do you want to read more manga like it? Well, if you haven't read it, then you should try Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-San (I have no idea what this is in English). It's about a middle school boy who is teased by a girl who always gets the better of him -- "If you blush, you lose!" is the name of the game.

The scanlator's been posting chapter regularly as of late, and it's just a lot of good, clean fun.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

On me because I just want these two to get together already uggh :cry:

Read more shoujo manga, you'll quickly become accustomed to this feeling. :D

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Until there's a very frank interview where he comes off as the most bitter and sarcastic guy in Japan, I'm going to just assume that he unironically goes for that sort of thing, the same way Tarantino and Rodriguez unironically love shlocky grindhouse movies and want to make them.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

So Middle-School Psychological Romantic TortureTeasing Master Takagi-san is updated again! In this new chapter, we learn that good assassins train early.

:swoon:

This really is the cutest manga. Offset -- or possibly enhanced-- by Nishikata's increasingly Akagi/Kaiji-esque tense paranoid internal monologues.

But it's almost painful, watching that boy. Go on, ask her out already, dude!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

The Shounen Thread returns (burning heart!) from its slumber deep in Page 3! Now, take this! Teasing Thunder Takagi-san! NEW CHAPTER! It's about the need to have a friend who knows more words than you.

I know, I should pick a more heart-thrilling manga than this, but haven't found any worthwhile shounen manga in a while.

burning heart!

Is Takagi gonna end up like the Ape Titan from Attack on Titan now, with the fan names? Teasing Thunder, Titan of Torture, Master Troll, Ayatollah of Rock & Rollah, etc.

That frog... :allears:

JosephWongKS posted:

Just kiss already, drat it!

Takagi is torturing both the audience and Nishikata, it's exquisite. My guess is that they'll start going steady when Seki marries Yokoi.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 30, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Has anyone been reading Angel-chan and Demon-kun? It's this weird, quirky little manga about some middle schoolers with very very unfortunate names, and the various wacky things that happen. It's a strange, screwball comedy that somewhat reminds me of Nichijou.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

No jokes from me, the new chapter of The Teasing Teaser of Tease Town, Takagi-tan doesn't actually feature any teases, and as such I can only give it a 9.9/10 instead of the typical 11/10. I don't know why you'd bother reading this chapter, really. No actual teases today. Just a teasing of teasing, sort of teasing aimed at the...reader...

!!!

drat that Takagi, she's twisted this poor boy's mind such that she can torture him without even saying anything! Truly terrifying is the tiny tyrant of Teasing!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Looks like SKET Dance is in its final legs! Chapter 278-- the "Passing on the Torch" arc begins!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Takagi, She-Wolf of the SS, continues. In this episode: How Not to Lie.

Every single panel where she psychologically tortures this poor boy is exquisite; comedy at its finest.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

From the creator who brought you Psychological Torture Master Takagi-San, comes an all-new serialization about an older brother with a younger sister who's actually a blood sucking zombie!

Futdatsuki no Kyoko-Chan

I think I like "Takagi-San" more than this, at the outset, but I'm willing to give this author the benefit of the doubt not to take this in a creepy or generic way.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 11, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Everyone should be reading "Gakkyu Hotei: School Judgment" -- a manga illustrated by the guy that drew for Bakuman.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 3, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

jwang posted:

That reminds me: does anyone know a good shounen series that actually have decent romance without the harem shenanigans?
You might want to try looking up Love Roma. It's a kind of sweet and quirky love comedy about a really honest and straightforward guy and a girl who's good at making sarcastic comebacks.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Does anyone remember Choujin Gakuen? Well, there's new chapters since last we checked!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This is soooo good compared to his other thing, which is just aggressively mediocre and fairly creepy in premise. It's just so charming, I wonder why the author even did the other one.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Allarion posted:

Dude in love with his vampire sister.

Although not really, it's just what everybody else thinks. They actually argue a lot and bicker like real siblings. However it's aggressively bland, and just repeats the same stupid gag in every single chapter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Torture Master Takagi chapter 12! It's amazing how much Kaiji-like stress this girl can induce in him just by playing a guessing game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Couldn't he have just gotten her back by simply ripping it in half once he knew she'd written it?

Of course, I guess he was too lost in his Kaiji-esque ZAWAZAWA world to think of it. Also, I guess it's because he's still a nice guy, if a bit paranoid and over-thinky, and that would be very rude.

Have to say though, I really like the side characters, like :haw: girl and :crossarms: and :geno:girl.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 10, 2015