Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah the series had been really dragging, and even a couple of the new chapters still had me kind of losing interest. Then I hit chapter 20 and all of that went away. On page 2 I knew that the chapter would be exactly what I want from this series. I don't know how it's doing in the polls, but this kind of feels like a "Go out with a bang" arc.

vvvv Would not surprise me at all. Maybe it'll pull a Medaka Box and turn into something magical, but I doubt it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silento posted:

I've been re-reading through Negima! again recently, and I was curious what Akamatsu was doing nowadays, so I googled it. And I found this.

I am so hype. My body is ready. :fap:

Probably not the best choice of smilie there, given Negima. But my body is also ready. Negima turned into a great action series pretty quickly and only got better toward the end, and since this appears to be more focused on being a battle series, so much the better. I kind of wish it wasn't a male protagonist again though, but who cares as long as he continues to write main protagonists who don't suck, which is rare nowadays, and he's pretty good at making likable side characters that show up a lot, too.

Now the next series by the person who make Binbougami-ga needs to come out and I'll be a happy guy.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 21, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I will be very disappointed if the ending to that particular storyline is not her surpassing the love master, who will forever be chasing her afterimages.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Prison School is basically this Patton Oswalt bit but instead of a magician it's a fantastic manga artist and rather than magic it's a titty manga. It may be supposition, but it's not hard to feel contempt coming from every page. You're not supposed to be able to feel like a good person for even skimming it. It's also not hard to believe that a guy who made a good series about a man who sold his soul to the devil to be a great blues musician might be a bit angry that that got canceled but something as trashy as Prison School is what it takes to get published.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 9, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terper posted:

In non-tits news, the latest Seven Deadly Sins chapter is very, very satisfying.

I did get a warm, fuzzy feeling when the double hammer appeared. It's also going to be fun to see Ban get serious.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silento posted:

I really liked that in Negima the characters changed outfits semi-frequently. Off the top of my head I don't think this has happened much in UQ Holder, but the action scenes still being awesome totally makes up for it. Akamatsu is great at conveying fast movement!

Negima was also really good at handling its very large cast. Everyone in a given arc had something usually critical to do rather than the protagonist solving everything, and everyone had some time in the spotlight. UQ is looking good so far in that aspect as well, with the protagonist being nearly useless in the latest arc.

And the silver lining in Akamarsu really liking to draw girls is that he also characterizes them well and lets them be important beyond just being plot devices, and they get cool fights or other things to do, to boot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Any opinions on Yozakura Quartet? I've read the first few chapters and so far it seems pretty decent and fun, with a good mix of being light-hearted sometimes and more serious others. The arcs being only 2-3 chapter stories so far rather than giant shounen slogs is also nice. Does it stay pretty consistent or take a nosedive at some point?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Is Gamble Fish Shounen or Seinen? Whatever- it's getting translated again and seems to be nearing it's end. It's still absolutely bonkers.

I'd call it seinen, but I'd also call it bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Obama plays Russian roulette with a dude who looks like the devil, it kinda owns in a way.

To be fair, that part is good. It's the rest of it that's bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn't really call Medaka Box good, but it is an experience and fun. I kinda miss it, really.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

Zenkichi really did ask for the most horrific power possible in that particular type of shonen story.

I don't even remember what his power was, actually. Other than being just the normal guy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I still can't forgive Soul Eater's bad ending.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Has anyone been following the new series from the Soul Eater author? I keep meaning to check it out but never get around to it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I know it's silly in the first place to criticize the comedy educational erotic weightlifting and exercise manga, but having the untrained character whose purpose is to be new to all of it do something like that seems at cross purposes. It is most likely just a one off gag though, so eh whatever.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

http://bato.to/reader#034563adbbc6b4f1_1

the lil minion duders are becoming one of my favorite parts of this comic

They continue in the grand tradition of Ratman's jackies.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kurohime is an old shounen I still like. The scans you'll find online are terrible at least for the early chapters, though. The art can also occasionally be comically bad, but I'll forgive it because gun witches are cool.

There is also Tripeace which is more on the seinen side.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Erg posted:

Medaka Box is a work of art and owns hardcore

I'm being completely sincere, Medaka Box kicks the poo poo out of every comic you just mentioned, and probably most of the stuff running in Jump right now

Indeed Medaka Box rules and I miss it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I started MEadaka Box cuz of this stupid thread and now I'm judging you all for the non-zero amount of HEY I LOOK LIKE A LITTLE GIRL BUT GUESS WHAT I'M AN ADULT/HIGH SCHOOLER characters

All two of them, as I recall? And also they are both great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I looked through some random chapters, and it seems like every chapter just comes up with some excuse to show some T&A.

No wonder it's still running.

Really Jump should just rerun Kurohime. I mean that unironically.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

What are some decent shounen* romance manga where the plot actually progresses and the plot isn't just "nerdy guy inexplicably has a bunch of girls interested in him"? A good example of the kind of thing I'm talking about is Masamune-kun no Revenge. It isn't anything amazing, but the main character isn't a loser, it isn't just a vehicle for showing a bunch of T&A, and the plot moves forward at a decent clip.

I spent a while blindly looking through manga with the Shounen and Romance tags on batoto/kissmanga and almost everything I found was either total trash or stuff I've read in the past.

edit: Slow Motion is another thing I like, though I think it runs in a seinen magazine.

*Seinen is also okay, though I'm looking for stuff that is relatively light-hearted

The answer is always Love Hina.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mysterious Girlfriend X

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Slime posted:

Sure, if you like a manga about the author's weird fetishes.

It's not even really that good, particularly the latter half or so. It just amuses me as a punchline.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ichigo was actually great back when he had a personality and was allowed to be a character.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kurohime, though yeah it is still very clearly written with male readers in mind.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That translation is majestic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm gonna say don't read the bad manga.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

To be honest it feels a little awkward to me for reasons I can't fully articulate, but I do have to give it credit for the fact that its set-up makes me honestly unsure who he'll end up with at the end (while it's usually super obvious and the main love interest is introduced first). If I had to guess I'd say black hair literature girl.

That would be the wrong choice, so yeah it's guaranteed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Active pursuit by a girl is also never rewarded, so she's doomed there, too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dexo posted:

Chihiro >> Ayumi

Shounen romcoms are a broken clock, not one that's set wrong.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 20, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Erg posted:

Yeah it's like the best example of the switch to being a jump battle manga

Excuse you. It became a lovely romance manga rather than a lovely battle manga at one point.

I miss it so much.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I largely did not actually enjoy Medaka Box. However, "defeat the super powered heroine by changing the genre into a love comedy so she instead is defeated by falling in love with the MC" was one of the greatest things I feel I've witnessed in a manga.

She was always in love with him from the start.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is the Medaka Box anime good? The talk about it earlier made it sound like a loving incredible series, and I'd rather watch it than read it unless the anime's poo poo.

The anime doesn't really get to the good stuff.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

darkgray posted:

Samon-kun sales seem to have been around 20k units per volume on average, which is bad.

Japan confirmed to have no taste.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mikl posted:

Well then, the extra chapter of We Never Learn that dropped today (19.5) is really something. And I'm unsure as to whether that "something" is good.

I'm going to guess probably no.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I would find it refreshing if she actually does manage to stay out of it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Um, the sporty tomboy was the right girl, clearly.

If this is regarding TWGOK, you are no longer welcome in my home. At least you didn't say the idol though, I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RubberLuffy posted:

it's a shame the basic synopsis doesn't really sell how good Rokudou no Onna-tachi actually is. it's so much better than "bad girls fall in love with loser MC" sounds.

It's real good, and the secret is that he's not actually a loser.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

The synopsis put me off immediately and the first chapter didn't change my mind. Not a fan of stories that rely on some sort of "love potion" thing for the romance

The "romances" are partial reasons for the arcs to happen and are resolved by personal growth and friendship. The main romance is one about which he is conflicted due to the reason for it but is still taking her seriously.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Plutonis posted:

I got some serious feels from the Bike Cop arc

It was definitely the best one so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How cool is your workplace with regular decapitations?