Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyone has read Lasboss-X-Hero?

Is a pretty entertaining story about a mangaka who ends trapped on his own manga and now thinks than killing the main heroine is the only way to finish the story and return to the real world. Lots of meta moments, the characters calling out the lovely plot developments/fanservice and a nice art (but as the most recent chapter there's two :nws: panels)

Very recomendable.

I'm kind of a sucker for "Creator gets trapped in their own work" stories, but this one just didn't do anything for me. Instead of subverting cliches it seemed to be embracing them and then complaining afterwards. And it didn't help that every character seemed like a total moron.

I read until partway through chapter 5 then abandoned it. Maybe it found it's feet after that point, but I really got nothing out of those first 4 chapters. I wasn't compelled by the drama, wasn't intrigued by the mystery, and wasn't entertained by the comedy.

Yes characters call out lovely plot developments/fanservice... but they didn't seem to have anything insightful to say about it, and calling a lovely plot development lovely just didn't improve things for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Yeah the most recent translated chapters for Mob Psycho 100 have been great, instead of merely good. It does take a while for the story to get going though.

Basically it's about a kid with ludicrous superpowers but no real motivation to use them, except he doesn't have much of a choice because he's always getting caught up in other people's bullshit schemes. On paper it might sound pretty similar to One-Punch Man but in practice it manages to feel different enough.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Alternative alternative title: The Scary Door

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Trump spending 1 quadrillion yen on nothing, but acting like he's a genius because he can just lie about it is about the most in character thing ever tbh

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

With that hair it could have been about yugioh

Waiting for a music manga where a schoolboy is possessed by an ancient Piano Pharaoh and uses Shadow Recitals to crush people’s souls, in a bizarre world where all disputes are settled via piano contests. Culminating in Piano Recitals On Motorcycles.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

The gently caress is going on in Ranger Reject

The most surprising thing is how it suddenly became Fallguys for a chapter or two.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

It's been a consistent issue that the story has weak characters but decent to good spectacle in the art, but the latter cannot compensate for the former all the time.

I think the main issue is that it’s better as an action-comedy than as straight action. For example the first chapters are full of exaggerated reaction faces to weird monster stuff.

But now it’s trying to have a big climactic battle between lots of different fighters, but the B and C cast just aren’t very interesting and it doesn’t really feel like anything is at stake.

A bunch of monsters suddenly pop up out of nowhere, it’s really heavy-handed at trying to portray them as this overwhelming deadly threat but it’s also transparently obvious that the monsters are all gonna job hard and immediately die. “Oh no this monster is a perfectly engineered countermeasure, the commander stands no chance, there is no way for them to defeat this .... oh they won” repeat x 10. And winning doesn’t really mean anything anyway since no.11 (was it 11? can’t remember) can seemingly just magic up a bunch of super monsters whenever he wants to.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Marriage Toxin: New girl certainly knows how to make an entrance.

“So you’re the ones driving for us?”
-“With what car?!”

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Thinking about undead unluck and how much I like the new game + that’s going on. I wonder if Shen will get untruth this time. Somehow I expect Mui to get it now.

The NG+ speed run is pretty cool but it also makes unjustice look like kind of an idiot for failing 99 times in a row.

I do realise that the game is kind of rigged so the best artifacts only spawn the last couple of cycles. But unluck is doing much better on her first try than unjustice did after nearly a hundred do-overs. And previously unjustice seemed like one of the more competent characters (hence her consistently being first seat.)

And it’s not like unluck is a particularly useful ability for recruiting allies. Hell her new found martial arts skills have a better record for recruiting people than her ability does.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I don’t really feel like she looks like an idiot at all. She tried 99 times, missed one god slayer artifact that’s only going to spawn this cycle and basically gave Fuulo the Rulebook to create the organization.

Unjustice was trying hard on the 99th cycle saying that she had finally assembled a good team and they had a chance. Except the Union didn’t really feel that strong, it felt like Uncover was actually stronger if you discount undead + unluck (and it also felt like Uncover was largely thrown together outside of the core ~3). And Unjustice’s rules meant that Unavoid and Unchange died kind of pointlessly in order to give their seats to Undead+Unluck when Unchange and Unavoid were some of the Union’s strongest members. Even when they’re limited to 12 seats for missions they could’ve still had some sideliners around (which is what Fuuko does and seems to work much better).

And Fuuko has been averting everyone’s tragedies first try, where Unjustice doesn’t seem to have even tried. Some of them sure Unjustice didn’t have enough information to do much, but for say Unsleep / Unforgettable not being able to help them seems kind of dumb when they’re central members of her organisation and presumably have been across multiple cycles. And Unforgettable is one of the major reasons why cycle 99 suddenly went to poo poo.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I love Heisuke and it's so cool to see him again after him just not being around for quite a while.

Heisuke’s and Hyo’s dynamic is really fun too. And this fight switches between cool as poo poo, and incredibly goofy in a way that’s gloriously silly. Ricocheting a bullet off someone’s face to hit someone else in the shoulder .

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Who the gently caress is yelling “stop screaming” at my house. Show yourself, coward. I will never stop screaming.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
MarriageToxin: Car dealerships hate her. Woman totals every vehicle she touches.

Darth TNT posted:

I’d also say he’s good the way he’s being used. Being the perfect sniper makes it hard to have him have good match ups unless he doesn’t want to kill and it might make his gimmick run thin if overused.

This is true. I also think it helps that magnet lady is somewhat sympathetic/likeable. Against other opponents Heisuke not shooting to kill would be pretty grating.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I mean if every character was stalling for time waiting for Andy to return and nothing was happening, then yeah people would be clambering for Andy to return as soon as possible.

I do wonder what he’s doing though, presumably he has his own thing he’s working on. (Hunting Unruin?).

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I’m liking Wild Strawberry so far. Yeah it’s basically The Last Of Us meets Chainsawman but those are some pretty good things to take inspiration from and despite the easy/obvious comparisons it doesn’t feel derivative. Very early days though.

Darth TNT posted:

Undead unluck: has been so good. This high school arc is going to be Batshit crazy. Gotta point out Billy is holding a history book despite being blind.
lol at Fuuko still stringing along Feng

Fuuko tricking Feng is great yeah. But I kind of feel the cast is a bit bloated at this point. Some of the characters are pretty impactful and fun, but some of the other ones it feels like they don’t really do anything and just kind of exist.

I’d honestly forgotten who Sean was and had to look it up. And across both loops I think Phil has only really been meaningful when he was being recruited.

And this is roughly the half way point on assembling all the negators, so I imagine the problem will gradually get worse. And okay sure the limited roster for missions does mean the cast gets trimmed down as they fight specific threats, but still some of the characters are just a lot better than others.

Shinji2015 posted:

"She's basically a work of art. WAIT NO DON'T LOOK NO FALLING IN LOVE!!!"

Chinatsu is a classic shonen protag and Erina is her plucky kid sidekick, and the combination has a strong chance of overtaking Hamster Girl for the #2 spot for me at this rate

Clarste posted:

Not a fan of how easily she jobbed to grunts though.

Plucky kid sidekicks have like a 90% chance of being annoying, but Erina has been beating the odds so far yeah.

It does sort of feel like Chinatsu got beaten up by mooks just in order to give Gero something cool to do though. Which sort of defeats the point of how Kinosaki introduced her.

amigolupus posted:

Sachi's Records continue to own. Love the running gag of someone not believing in god right before he pops out to smooth things over.

I skipped on Sachi’s Records for a bit because the banner image really didn’t entice me, but liked it after giving it a chance.

Boros is the best character in it and has some great character moments in the first chapter (silently ripping a page out of his scoring book)

Ex chapter this week is pretty non-exciting though.

Elite fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 27, 2023

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

they are still trying to figure out how King Crimson works

Uploading the chapters was erased and only the effect from uploading the chapters remains,

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Flair posted:

Sakamoto Days: Given that a mind reader exists in the story and one of the orphans demonstrates magnetic powers, I can only assume that Uzuki went through some child experimentation where he can absorb the soul/mind of an individual.

I thought the magnet powers were due to some piece of tech-equipment rather a special ability.

And I think this is Rion Akao impersonating Uzuki rather than Uzuki impersonating Rion.
We see Sakamoto take down Uzuki on screen, and it seems very unlikely Sakamoto would fail to kill him or let him live. He’s a god-tier assassin out for revenge for his fallen friend.
Meanwhile (I think) we’re only told that Rion died, it’s possible that Uzuki was lying about it or speaking in metaphors.

The mentions about X’s mannerisms and posture being different from Uzuki’s are because it’s a different person. Also Rion Akao was more dangerous than Uzuki in a straight fight so that inconsistency is explained if Uzuki persuaded Rion rather than killing her (yeah Uzuki killed the old order boss, but that kind of trick only worked because of the poison and them trusting him, he’d need a completely different trick here).

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Speaking of meh, Wild Strawberry chapter 4 is really cementing it as the To Have and Have Not to Chainsaw Man's Casablanca, only without the charm of Bogie and Bacall to carry things.

You know what worked about Chainsaw Man, besides everything? It got going fast. Chapter 1, origin story, including joining the monster hunter organization. Chapter 4, we've got the whole main crew assembled and officially working together.

Here, we're four chapters in and the hero joining the monster fighting organization is obviously going to happen, but it's being put off as if there was any real tension to it just because that's what you do in manga. It and Jiangshi X kinda have a cargo cult shonen feel to them, following the templates because they're the templates rather than because there's something the author wants to play with available when taking that route.

I think your overall conclusion is a bit harsh, but you’re right that they might as well show him in a special flower funeral force uniform on the front page it’s so obvious that he’s going to join up with them. Which makes this particular fight feel kind of pointless/dumb.

The page where his perspectives suddenly tilts sideways because he just got cut in half is pretty neat though.

I don’t think it’s generally slow paced either. In the first 3 chapters the guy gained super powers, died and resurrected, escaped a disposal facility/lab and the manga set up a boss monster that’s the source of all the others. That’s a fairly brisk pace. It’s just this 4th chapter didn’t really advance the plot at all.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I like the idea of Cipher Academy, but it feels like some parts of it are basically untranslatable, so some of the puzzles are pretty much impossible which really hampers my enjoyment. What I want from a puzzle based series is to feel smart for solving puzzles and Cipher Academy achieves the opposite of that.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I gave Shojo Null a try a few days ago and it really can’t be overstated just how loving weird the special police chief character is.

-Introduces himself with “Oh boy I sure love killing people”
-Doesn’t give a poo poo about being part of government conspiracy that deceives the public in order to enslave conscious beings
-Doesn’t care than his son was murdered and his house was burned down
-Lazily yawns during the briefing about catching the Gijin that killed his son
-Doesn't care about “maintaining order” or anything like that. Or even pretending to care.
-Isn’t driven by hatred of Gijin. Rebel humans are who he hates and he doesn’t seem to give any thought about Gijin at all.
-Doesn’t seem motivated by sadism. (He just executes people rather than slowly torturing them to death)

“Likes killing people” is the only thing the manga has established about him. He could fondly reminisce about shooting up an orphanage and it would change nothing about his character. And this is an issue because he’s basically the stand in representative for the regime and his sole character trait is “violent psychopath”.

There are other antagonistic characters, but none of them feel important.

The kamikids are dumbass kids who died within 1 chapter and whose deaths meant nothing.

After the first 2 chapters I had written a few thoughts that I didn’t get around to posting , and this is what I put about the theater guy: The theater guy is clearly being positioned as “insane auteur artist” so the conclusion to draw is just “that that guy was crazy”. I also wouldn’t bet any money on him lasting more than a couple of chapters either.
Turns out he immediately died too.

I don’t really expect complex social commentary and nuanced depictions of racism from shounen, but for a primary antagonist the police chief just seems badly written. If he randomly murdered a bunch of Gijin as payback for losing his son that wouldn’t make him any more sympathetic, but it would make him more understandable.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

So this kind of goes back to what I was saying before. To put it politely. have you kept an eye on the news lately? Because "violent psychopath who seems primarily to enjoy hurting people and exercising his powers and isn't even particularly caring about his family" is a perfectly reasonable description of a shocking number of police officers.

The chief only feels weird if your idea of police officers is "upstanding people who attempt to uphold the law" and not "hired goons who are given power and authority to protect the wealthy" and the latter is close to reality. This isn't even exclusively an American thing, there are *plenty* of cases of abuse in Japan too. The corrupt, cruel and callous policeman is a stereotype that transcends countries for a reason.

How many of those violent cops do you think would be a-okay about their son getting murdered? Like I can totally buy that they’re immensely lovely parents who treat their children badly, but they’d still get angry about other people hurting their child. That isn’t even about being caring or compassionate, that’s about feeling personally slighted because it affected you.

I guess the point I’m making is that few people set out to do deliberate evil for the sake of it, and those that do usually don’t rise to positions of power or importance. Even history’s greatest monsters have human elements to them - I’m thinking of Stalin talking about having a broken heart after his wife died or the video of Hitler relaxing with Eva Braun. So Sergeant Police Brutality might beat his family every night but he would still get mad about someone else killing them.

That isn’t saying that evil doesn’t exist, it’s saying that people like to think of themselves as “good” so they love to contrive excuses as to why something is deserved, justified or necessary. The justifications are obviously bullshit, but the justifications are what enable people to treat others awfully and people have an extreme capacity for self-deception in order to make themselves feel better. I think evil arises more from personal weakness and selfishness than raw malevolence.

“Violent psycho police chief who spouts bullshit about enforcing justice and maintaining order” makes sense. Yes it’s objectively bullshit, but people do buy in to their own bullshit.
“Violent psycho police chief who’s sole trait is that they really love being a violent psycho” doesn’t make sense. To me anyway.
I mean when the spotlight is put on those real life violent cops how many of them start cackling that they just looove killing people? (Possibly not zero, but not many). And how often do they come up with self-serving excuses and justifications? (~100%). So they could have had a character who was just as evil, just as corrupt, just as repulsive - whilst seeming a lot more realistic. So I’m not saying that the “thug with a badge” doesn’t exist, I’m saying that that the “thug with a badge” loves to somehow think of themselves as a hero.

And why does this guy even have a son? He doesn’t seem to get anything out of it. In the real world those violent cops can care about having a family as sort of social proofing, or a status symbol. But this guy doesn’t seem to care about status and doesn’t care about losing it.

And what did any woman see in him? Smart? No. Reliable? No. Fun? No. Funny? No. Caring? No. And sure there are awful people in the real world, who still somehow have relationships and have children. But the person in question needs to pretend not to be lovely for some length of time to reel someone else in, and this guy seems to have zero interest in pretending not to be lovely.

The character just feels... lazy. “Here’s the police chief that killed Riaha’s father. What’s his motivation? He just loves killing people.” Skeletor has more depth to him.

Riaha’s backstory doesn’t make any sense either. He watched his family get gunned down by a government kill team and he runs away with a Gijin who then gets captured ~15 mins later. Then seven years later he’s living on his own in a bombed out house and just casually going to school?

Marie actually seems like the most believable character, even with some significant manic pixie dream girl energy.

ImpAtom posted:

There's a very different ring of truth in "A bunch of lovely teens torture and murder a person for fun and Youtube views" when like, that's an actual thing that happens even if it seems loving absurd and ridiculous to think about. It's not particularly subtle what sort of stories are being referenced there.

I actually thought the kamikids were well done. Yeah things were exaggerated but it had a ring of authenticity to it. They nonchalantly do lovely things, because they don’t even think they’re doing anything wrong. The one guy is trying to befriend and impress Riaha by proudly showing off their earlier Gijin torture videos. Kamikid rushes to promise an apology video over Kingo’s wound violating YouTube rules, but doesn’t mention Marie taking a chainsaw to the face because that didn’t even register to him. It’s a depiction of the banality of evil.

It’s just that they... don’t really matter. They turn up, act like dumbasses, and immediately die.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Jerkface posted:

I was eating that joke up so much i kinda wish it stretched a little longer and was even more incomprehensible to the villain but it was still good

So you’re saying you wished it would keep on keeping on?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

Daddy and Buddy: I'm not sure if I'm feeling this one. It's kind of got this retro tokusatsu vibe going where we're following the exploits of a group of superheroes dedicated to protecting children, but even with the focus being more on the realities of dealing with aging and the mundanity of it being a job, it's just not interesting. The characters are just bland as hell, and the stakes feel incredibly low.

And the title sucks

I can't get over the bizarre combination of criteria needed to be a "buddy". 3 largely unrelated requirements, one of which is kind of a super power already.

1) Must be good at gymnastics
2) Must be good with children
3) Must be able to see the weird spirits

It's hard to come up with something dumber, even if you're actively trying.

Look pal, in order to be an Avian Ranger you need three things:
1) To play the piano
2) To have an affinity with birds
3) You must be able to talk to animals

To be a Cat Companion you're gonna need
1)To master the art of interpretative dance
2)A diet that consists solely of fish
3)The ability to read the minds of cats

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I really liked Dorohedoro for the bizarre fever dream thing it had going on, right up until just before the ending where things got even weirder and more confusing until I had no idea what was happening anymore and it somehow managed to feel “3 chapters away from finishing!” for like 15 chapters.

That’s probably a bit unfair, it probably reads better in one sitting but one chapter at a time it felt like whole chapters were just... undoing what happened the previous chapter as people slowly get resurrected or the same chef’s knife gets randomly lost/found/stolen.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Undead Unluck: Really liking this reveal of negator abilities being inherited will rather than being chosen by a capricious god. Especially because it’s taking place within the backdrop of the beast fight. Plenty of animals that surpass humans in speed and strength, but it’s the accumulated technology of previous generations that make humans the dominant species and Uma Beast is gonna learn that the hard way. The reveal kind of explains why Unluck can do things that Undead could never do - that Andy can’t form these connections because there aren’t any previous Undeads to tap into.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

The sad thing is that right now, Wild Strawberry is much, much better...

And Wild Strawberry is terrible.

I still think Wild Strawberry had a really good 2-3 opening chapters, but then instantly lost my interest after that. Largely because it spent like 3 chapters on a incredibly pointless fight when “these people will immediately team up” was so obvious it was probably visible from space.

Darth TNT posted:

Ruri: we talked a little about how good or bad Ruri actually is. Chapters like this remind me why I liked it. It’s somehow very relatable. I do wonder though where we’re going with this slice of life story.

Something I find notable about Ruri, is that the mom... has personality.
Which sounds like a stupid comment but most series it seems like parents either fell off the planet somehow, or are the Harbingers Of NoFunAllowed, so having a parent character that’s a) present, b) fun, is an anomaly.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

amigolupus posted:

I always thought Kaiju #8 was rather mid so I get your confusion why it's getting so much push. I stopped reading it after it gave the mega-strong childhood friend a serious fight, only for her to get nerfed with "actually, she's only amazing as a sniper", and then proceeds to get worfed after the fight ended to act as bait for the MC.

I really liked it early on but then it completely lost my interest when Monster 9 pulled ~8 numbered monsters out of his rear end to hard-counter all of the squad captains/vice captains. And all the ‘hard counter’ monsters all immediately jobbed and lost anyway. Well immediately is the wrong word since it took like 3 weeks for some of the fights but you get what I mean. It just felt incredibly pointless.

Maybe it could’ve been pulled off okay in a later arc since that a) might’ve been able to sell the idea that this took this prep work from Monster 9, b) might’ve given these side characters more time to grow so you actually cared about their fights.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love:It feels like > 200 deaths over a decade is a really low body count for this group of witches. The first time we saw them they had like 30 bodies impaled on spikes while they laughed and danced about and that was probably a more spirited sabbath for them. I'd at least be expecting the estimate to be hundreds higher for the main faction of witches hellbent on destroying the world. And it's not like Mr. Priest's comment about innocent people being dragged into witch hunts somehow makes Vergil and his posse misunderstood or innocent. Even with last chapter the guy still threatened to take a child hostage when he realized his cover was blown.

For comparison an annual kill count of ~21 puts them slightly below cows in terms of lethality.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I usually don’t bother reading new Jump series that pop up unless the art / premise really catches my attention or someone here really starts gushing about them. I’ve read a lot of scanlated stuff so at this point I’m kind of accustomed to stuff getting randomly dropped for no reason so I’m okay with having brief fun with a series then it suddenly disappearing. For gag manga I don’t have any minimum number of chapters I need to try it out, for more story driven manga I’d say needs a minimum of like 5 chapters for me to give it a try but every jump title gets that so it doesn’t matter (just an issue with scanlated stuff).

panko posted:

since the mangaplus app has made it really easy to get into new and smaller series I’ve broken my thirty chapter rule a few times, with three disappointments so far (martial master asumi, me & my gangster neighbour, service wars)

By this you mean series that didn’t last very long? Because whilst service wars was short it felt like it was designed to be a shorter series and reached an appropriate stopping point. Which IMO is pretty different from a series getting unceremoniously axed and needing to suddenly pivot to anything vaguely resembling an ending.

panko posted:

oh yeah the latest series I’m reading before it has legs is astro baby and it’s been really fun so far. this is in contrast to shibatarian which probably would have killed as a goodbye eri length one-shot but is still going for some reason

Shibatarian was really good and had a solid ending, then just... kept going. I wasn’t sure what was happening with that, but I’m on board again since it suddenly swerved into unhinged territory again.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's funny since I did the exact opposite, dropping sakamoto on 1 ch initially because the premise was uninteresting to me but going back I like it because it's just a bunch of well choreographed fights between fun characters

I don’t think Sakamoto has had a bad chapter, think it’s been incredibly consistent at how good it is. But I only tried it because people here were gushing about it. “Retired hitman runs convenience store” wasn’t a premise that sold itself to me.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Zeruel posted:

*rushes into the room* Undead Unluck is so loving good

Nico is gonna say something like Negate or No or Nullify and it's going to be so badass

Yeah I think it’s gonna be Negate

Shinji2015 posted:

Kill Blue: man I really enjoyed this arc

I liked it too. It landed the right kind of stupid, and liked the smarmy Jardin boss getting his poo poo kicked in. Final line from last week’s chapter went pretty hard for what’s normally a light and silly manga.
“Relax, you don’t gotta worry about the weekend. Cus you ain’t gonna live to see it.” Ice cold.

Elite fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 29, 2024

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The thing I find with Black Cover is how incredibly lazy the major plot beats seem.

Summary of latest arc:
New bad guy shows up (previously unmentioned alter ego of existing character) and turns half the wizards of the kingdom evil. Again.
Asta gets teleported to Not-Japan for his ~5th training sequence.
Bad guy clones himself 10 times to give the good wizards more faces to punch.
And Asta’s anti magic is now basically just magic-but-black. (Earlier on it felt like there was at least some distinction between magic and anti-magic.)

Art is decent, some of the powers are cool, some of the characters are cool (do agree that Mereoleona was great this last chapter) but the fighting itself seems hollow because both sides kinda just pull powerups out of their rear end and the stakes are kind of bullshit.

Wouldn’t blink an eye if Lucius said “oh no. This isn’t going to plan. Guess I’d better summon 50 more clones” then Asta reached level X+1 in Anti-Magic and unlocked clone negation magic that immediately banished them.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I never expected Unforgettable to be this powerful.

Both One Piece and Undead Unluck making a real strong case for "never forget anything ever" as a superpower.

I mean Deadly Rules Shittori is doing a lot of the heavy lifting here.

Absolute retention/recall would always be good for learning/strategy/planning but Unforgettable wouldn't be able to pull off even a tiny fraction of this bullshit without Language's contest. (Good thing too - would destroy the stakes if Nico could just raise the dead whenever he felt like it and conjure nuclear missiles out of nowhere).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Chainsawman, honestly I think the current part 2 is overrated. Half the panels appear to be Denji or someone else having a slack jawed :downs: expression. Very little of the comedic timing has been present in this run, not to mention how they’re treating our loveable goof Denji.

Hard disagree. Might’ve been a stretch at the beginning of part 2 that was light on comedy (when it was setting things up for the new act) but overall I’d say part 2 was funnier than part 1. Especially last couple of chapters of part 2.

Probably some recency bias in play, but I can think of a lot more funny moments in part 2 than part 1.