Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Angry Grimace posted:

The rumors are flying that Kiruko is going to be ending in WSJ Issue #22/23

Say it ain't so, Joe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

coathat posted:

Kiruko was a cool character but she was in a really bad manga.

I liked it at first, but as I said in the last thread, it felt like it was just going in circles by the documentary chapter and I really wanted it to just get to a point, any point. It was stuck in that period of a shonen manga's life where it's establishing the main character, except Kiruko had already been very well-established. The arc with her surrogate father was a nice change, but right after that they went back to "HEY SHE WAS A MERCENARY, ISN'T THAT CRAZY?" I'm not asking for a battle manga, I'm just asking that you do something with your character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

toanoradian posted:

Good news? Maybe? Kiruko gets an important job to do in chapter 15.

After that, we have shonen. And eels. Chapter 16.

Please let the end of Chapter 16 be leading into a substantial plot and please let the series last long enough to see it through.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh man, I burst out laughing when everyone was dressed as Kiruko.

I didn't really see much shipping, though. Seems like the series is starting to find its groove, which is good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

chumbler posted:

Yeah the series had been really dragging, and even a couple of the new chapters still had me kind of losing interest. Then I hit chapter 20 and all of that went away. On page 2 I knew that the chapter would be exactly what I want from this series. I don't know how it's doing in the polls, but this kind of feels like a "Go out with a bang" arc.

Yeah, I was almost at the point where I just wanted it to become a battle manga already so it could do SOMETHING.

Edit: The main problem with the series was that it seemed like it didn't know what it wanted to be without becoming a battle manga. It seems like it was trying a Gintama sort of thing, with a combination of episodic comedy and shorter arcs, but it just didn't work, mainly because of the fact that most of the episodic stuff boiled down to "Hey, Kiruko sure is weird, right? A former mercenary policewoman with big tits?! And she's crazy?! Wow! And you know what? Everyone loves her anyway!" That was basically it. And I think it was mentioned earlier that the author had made a couple one-shots with characters that were virtually identical to Kiruko, I think the main problem was that the author was far too attached to this archetype he had crated. In simple terms, he simply could not get over his own character and kept proudly presenting her to us when we were all "Yeah, we get it, now do something." Overall, if it gets cancelled, this isn't something I'm going to begrudge Shonen Jump for. It's really just the author's fault for wasting the potential he had. The series was never really bad, it was just really uninteresting at its worst. I still really like Kiruko though. She's pretty funny and downright adorable.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 8, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just realized I talked about two different main problems in that paragraph. This shows how good I am at organizing my thoughts.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Relin posted:

I'm not saying it wasn't terrible but there's no way the latter had anything to do with its canning. Source: The male protagonists/secondary male characters in a poo poo load of manga

Kiruko-san was only crap because the author actively refused to let it get off the ground. Is the new serialization just a straight reboot or do I need to read the last couple chapters of the Jump series?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Srice posted:

In case anyone doesn't read the HxH anime thread, it looks like the manga is coming back next June :toot:

And we're getting a simultaneous English release to boot. Pretty excited about that, might have to finally drop some money on Viz's service just for that.

Watch it only be for like a month.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Allarion posted:

Boku no Hero Academia officially started last week actually and seems pretty rad, given it's from the creator of Barrage and Oumagadoki Zoo. Click the link if you can read moonspeak, but I recommend skimming through it since DETROIT SMASH! Premise should be fairly obvious though, kid wants to be a superhero, but has no powers, and everyone around him has powers. Hopefully someone picks it up.

I'm super interested in this because I love seeing Japanese interpretations of western superheroes and the art looks rad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Has there been any word yet on plans to translate Boku no Hero Academia into English? The only translation I've found is in French and I really wanna read some anime superheroes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Allarion posted:

My Hero Academia finally got another chapter translated!

I didn't even know the first chapter got translated! This translation is kinda bad, but I'll take it.

Edit: The second chapter seems better, though. Seems like they got some better QCs or whoever checks to make sure poo poo makes sense. Quirk is a much better translation for Individuality. What the gently caress even was that bullshit.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 12, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Allarion posted:

It's cause 個性 literally means individuality, personality, or idiosyncrasy, so the first translator probably went with the literal choice. Quirk is definitely better though. Curious about that scanlation group though, since they seem to be a Vietnamese subbing group mainly, but they're the only ones interested in scanlating this series at the moment, so they're good in my book.

Individuality has way too many syllables to be the name of the powerset du jour. It's gotta be quick and snappy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Oh so that's what Obata's been up to after Bakuman ended. A new shonen court - school manga!

EDIT: Hahaha! "OBJECTION!!" Phoenix Wright is a cheeky elementary school kid!

EDIT: This is wacky as all hell. It's what I've come to expect from the best of Japanese comedies.

What the gently caress did I just read.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Is mayonnaise a dumb manga?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wasn't the end of Negima basically "No, these new copyright laws are bullshit. gently caress you, gently caress this, I'm loving DONE."

The start of Negima was also basically "gently caress you, I wanna make a battle shonen."

Ken Akamatsu has a complicated relationship with his editors.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it was basically a proposed law that would give the publisher more control over the work, and would especially make it easier for them to shut down fanworks, which I believe Akamatsu didn't like because that's how he got his start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Holy poo poo, she has Freddy Kreuger powers.