Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Irritated Goat posted:

What do you guys use to keep up with what manga you're reading and where? I need to get back into reading again but keeping up is a pain

RSS bookmarks, and I'm absolutely sure there is a much more efficient way than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

There's a new comic called Iron Knight out. It doesn't really feel like it's trying to go for any gimmicky wow factor, but I feel like it may be a contender for part of the next big three.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

chefscientist posted:

Shonen Jump unveiled their international manga competition finalists. 6 of them selected out of manga from the entire world. The best of the best.

I entered as well, but my chances were pretty slim since mine was barely shonen or manga (and can be read here).

This isn't a link to read the finalists, right? We have to wait for an actual SJ issue with them in them?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ZerodotJander posted:

I never watched YYH but tried to read the manga recently. I got through like 2 rounds of the tournament before giving up, it felt so crappy and one dimensional and predictable and just didn't seem to ever improve. Maybe it was just bad translation or something but I really don't understand the popularity.

I felt this way with HxH. I just don't understand why it's popular. Everyone I talk to says that it's because it's a great shonen series with good action and creative fights, and maybe if I just looked at the pictures I would agree. But the mangaka felt necessary to include text boxes in practically every scene to narrate just what was going on. I felt it was telling the story a lot more than showing. Am I alone in this feeling?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

RubberLuffy posted:

And speaking of Seven Deadly Sins, the first anime teaser commercial is up.

The artstyle seems to have been preserved pretty well in the anime transition, that's neat.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ytlaya posted:

I think the letter ranking is only for teams and that the guy was the "rank 4 attacker" in the sense of being the fourth best attacker, even though his team was only B rank. I'm also under the impression that Kuga would have owned him if they hadn't done those 10 sparring matches before the match (which allowed the guy's side effect to kick in and learn about Kuga's fighting style). So I'm okay with Kuga not owning him in their one on one fight.

That being said, one thing I had forgotten about was the part earlier on when Kuga literally solos an entire A rank team (Miwa's team) without even being pushed that hard. While that was partly due to him being able to use the black trigger, it would seem to imply enough of a difference in skill that he could reliably defeat most B rank teams (he didn't even use the black trigger until the very end of the fight, IIRC).

Overall I think that I was definitely being too harsh on the series earlier, though; after reading the recent chapters and rereading the first part, World Trigger actually does some things WAY better than your average shounen series. The fights in general are pretty superb and have never come down to "power levels" in any sense; even the enemies, while having better weapons, also require great skill in order to face the Border agents. Combatants have also always acted within the established rules of the setting, and no fights have been won due to someone "powering up" in some unrealistic way. Every single fight against the stronger enemies has involved some level of trickery/tactics. While I wish that the setting was more interesting, the action is really refreshing for a WSJ series and I'm happy that it seems to be doing well (based on it getting an anime at least).

Also, the inconsistency someone mentioned about their training being bizarre when they're actually fighting monster/alien things is a bit off-base when you consider the fact that they probably realized after the first couple expeditions into the Neighborhood that the monster things were just Trion soldiers and that humanoid neighbors existed and used trigger weapons just like them (so they knew fighting other humanoids using triggers like this was a possibility/inevitability). It also seems like all known Trion soldiers up until the Invasion arc were easily beatable by anyone B rank or above, so there wasn't much of a need to continue honing their skills against them after reaching B rank.

The one big issue I had with the whole thing is that the MC was absolutely completely unremarkable, and I get that that's part of what's special about him, but is that still the case? Is he still completely scrub tier or does he have something, ANYTHING, that he's developed so far?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Has anyone here ever heard of or read Law of Ueki? I've been an avid follower of the mangaka ever since his first work, but I'm starting to feel like he might be a one shot wonder now. Takkoku was alright until it just abruptly ended, and Anagle Mole started off really interesting but just spluttered off until he fell into medical issues and that too had to be cut short soon after he recovered. He's started on a new series called Saike Mata Shitemo. I've only read the first chapter so far, but it just feels off right from the beginning. It just seems to follow the "debbie downer kid who thinks he has no aspirations in life suddenly finds himself in Groundhog's Day" formula really hard, like I mean really hard. It's painful seeing someone I've been looking forward to for a long time turn out like this...

We don't talk about Law of Ueki +

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Holy poo poo Saike just took a swerve and turned into a standard battle manga except that he still has the really OP time travel power

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ytlaya posted:

It's an interesting premise, though I don't see how he's always going to be lucky enough to be able to run all the way to that lake in order to "respawn." I'm guessing that it might actually work on any death, rather than just drowning in the pond (and he obviously isn't willing to test this out).

He already got smashed into a wall by a phone pole and also went after a legit killer all without actually dying lmao this poo poo is rich.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nihilarian posted:

I vaguelly remember that series having a gimmick where if you won a match, you got one of your opponents powers, and the main character kept getting the ones that were basically useless in battle

Those were talents, winning would net you one random new talent while injuring a noncombatant would make you lose a talent.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Serious Frolicking posted:

Right, they dropped the idea of those talents being relevant at all fairly early.

Until the very end where he bullshitted losing all of his talents because his big ball got blasted into a bunch of splinters so every splinter counted as an "injury" what the gently caress

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Serious Frolicking posted:

the incredibly silly body swapping mystery mayonaka x giten has finally revealed the identity of the mysterious mastermind. spoiler: it is real dumb.

who is it tell me

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i stopped reading that when it turned out it was secretly about shounen super powers

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ConanThe3rd posted:

Christ, I hope not.

World Trigger was bad enough about that sort of setting blueballing.

does glasses fake defect over to the neighbor side?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

RatHat posted:

Nope and I have no idea what he's talking about.

does glasses get ANY sort of redeeming feature beyond his absolute mediocrity?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

yeah i'ts almost like someone with a fairly distinctive style drew the whole thing or osmething

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Has anyone ever read Law of Ueki? Is it any good? I keep seeing it in stores and am curious about it, but can't find much in the way of reviews or impressions, so I figured I'd ask here before checking it out.

ive always thought it was that mangaka's strongest work until saike came out

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

it's p decent on that end and some of the god powers are still really weird and interesting anyways. it's worth going through imo some of the later themes get p crazy

if you like it i highly recommend saike though. it seems a lot more tightly composed plot wise compared to their post ueki works

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hate-Senpai posted:

I guess Hungry Marie is cancelled now???

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://twitter.com/tyleroakley/status/967557754947645441

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

so is we never learn actually good or is it just popular because it's basically more nisekoi?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mulva posted:

There's a surprising number of Asian novels where it's "I just steal this idea that someone else had and sell it as my own" and I'm like, is that culturally aware or just really sad that the limits of their imagination and dreams are pretending you did the cool thing someone else already did first?

yeah because this is a thing only the foreign exotic Asians do

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dexo posted:

Law of Ueki.

drat first time I'm seeing anyone mentioning Ueki here. I love that mangaka's works even if they have real issues maintaining steam. There are some real good esoteric as hell powers in their latest work, saike, and I'm glad it seems to be breaking his curse on failing series

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What haopened

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i find it worth reading future ghostwriter because it's interesting to see what kind of morality the mangaka is trying to attempt

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

rear end class did the unthinkable of mangaka going 'this story has a finite end and a finite time limit' and stuck to it along with having a way satisfying ending and also making its weird wtf wacky second half reveal be actually super cool. The only stumbling point I recall just dealt with s B plot involving a parent figure that didn't really get resolved because it was too dark for SJ so it got dropped

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The art is why I keep reading it, in spite of the fact that it hasn't been very engaging so far. Same with Phantom Seer.

idk, i was feeling like that up until the archery premise and how he'd have to basically hide in plain sight from the guy looking for him that things really started getting actually interesting. and also the ever mounting evidence of the priest being from the future

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I feel like I recall a death game thriller getting remade in some sort like that maybe

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's a sham Red Hood is obviously headed out the door, cus I fuckin love this. On the other hand, this story would be way, waaaay less impactful and interesting without the looming threat of cancelation. If this is getting canceled, I actually kind of am looking forward to it? Cus it would make the series as a whole a short and interesting story about canceled Shonen mangas. The pacing would be weird, but that would really work to the benefit of the story, imo. A Shonen series cut short about Shonen series getting cut short!

it's lasboss x hero all over again...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Stylish anime ways to signal disease:
Trickle of blood from nose, followed by fainting.
The pervasive mysterious cough (bloody when serious).
Bedridden but otherwise looking fine for ages (then you die, having always had a weak constitution)

No one in anime ever dies from dysentry, making GBS threads their guts out

Need to get that Jin anime adaptation

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she doesn't have his sister's head. it was questionable before, but now the process for transplants has been revealed. the fabricants take their prey to #1, who performs the surgery. it isn't done on the spot, so she would have had to take his sister all the way to #1, then come back to make a deal with ashibi.

who's to say whether #1 would want to give up a perfect body for some other fabricant to have, why wouldn't it want him for itself

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't know how that relates to my post in any way. could you clarify?

kind of just piggy backed on your post to consider a thing i was thinking about #1 recently

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the best part of season 1 of sds was that it had a man with a mission op

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Pierson posted:

Medalist has got to the traditional 'the character comes within inches of defeating their rival but ultimately falls short due to being ever-so-slightly-technically-worse' mid-part of a sports drama and I think all ice rinks should be destroyed.

medalist had such a godlike first major success event in like the first few chapters, is there anywhere i can read the middle chapters since it seems to jump from like 7 to 30?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

a lot of the designwork gives me dai dark vibes which is cool

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Maybe the ppl drawing and creating the stories for shonen media are just horny, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i liked the complete inane back and forth meandering in dorohedoro because it made it feel real whimsical and almost classic fairy tale-ish