Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

SJ doesn't seem to ever cancel mangas that are sufficiently popular. Anything insufficiently popular probably doesn't get picked up elsewhere.

There have been cases where they've moved a manga from Shonen Jump to a different magazine that's owned by the same publisher, but I don't think there's any examples of a Jump manga going to a different publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watch the Ippo anime, imagine that the whole thing was canceled after that, and then read RRR.

This is the best way to go about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In case anyone doesn't read the HxH anime thread, it looks like the manga is coming back next June :toot:

And we're getting a simultaneous English release to boot. Pretty excited about that, might have to finally drop some money on Viz's service just for that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

So, honest opinion, JJBA or HunterxHunter?

I got a lot on my "To Buy" plate next month and the crowd I usually hang with won't stop urging me to buy one of these two. Well these two and Toriko but I don't like the look of Toriko. HXH I kinda think I know what to expect since I loved Yu Yu Hakusho. At least I know to expect a likable protagonist...I hope. I think my main complaint is the proliferation of Goku clones in shounen. It's like a plague. What we need is more Yusuke's.

I'm honestly trying to get away from "Fighting Shounen" because I realized that, out of the 44 anime/manga series I've seen/read in my life, over half of them are fighting shounen. This is making me read a bunch of other types of manga but I figure I owe it to my annoying fiends to give their holy grail a chance to redeem my ever-falling opinion of fighting shounen.

Since you loved YYH, HxH is the better choice by far. Also while both have plenty of fighting Jojo is more traditional about it while HxH sometimes does some rather unexpected things for the genre.

Gon seems like a Goku clone at first but there are occasions where they play up how the dude is really amoral except for matters involving his friends; he doesn't give a poo poo if a dude is a mass murderer, as long as he hasn't murdered anyone he cares about.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first movie is a compilation of episodes 58-61 (the Benizakura arc) with some extra scenes, definitely worth watching that over the tv version if only for the gags they added at the end of the movie.

The other movie definitely calls it an ending as a marketing ploy (It combines the names of all the Yamato movies into one title) but you should definitely watch it since it's pretty good!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The anime tends to sell pretty well so I am confident that the show will return someday! Considering how the last season went I am fine with waiting for more manga chapters to pile up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wrt shounen sports series, Touch is a mandatory classic that everyone should check out. The anime is impeccable but heck the manga is great too, it's a good time no matter which option you pick.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Boruto the manga is a pretty rough piece of work even at its best. Boruto the anime, however, rules.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All of the anime-original content really serves to fill in a lot of blanks with characterization too. At this point I pretty much consider the manga to be a very rough draft that the anime polishes. Emotional moments that fall flat in the manga are much more effective in the anime because of all of the additional connective tissue at play.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, the Boruto anime is doing its own thing most of the time so it really feels a disservice to even consider it "filler"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I really hated the reveal that Yuno actually is royalty because it just reinforced the classism that the story previously seemed like it was against.

Yea I found him to be aggressively boring even before that reveal and that just cemented how much I fundamentally dislike how he's written.

Though on the flip side I like Asta more than I usually like that type of character so heck, it's a land of contrasts.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After rereading the Naruto manga earlier this year I've decided that I'm anti-war. In both shonen series and irl.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mikl posted:

How's Protect Me Shugomaru? I bounced off the first chapter really hard, and haven't checked it out since.

The quality has been more or less exactly like that first chapter.

I Love Annie May posted:

Surprising how Viz still keeps the rights of a series they have no intention of releasing to the public. Really makes you wonder a lot.

Since this is happening with Manga Plus too it might be a decision directly from Shueisha.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jose posted:

Is the fist of the north star anime.goood and if so where can I watch it?

It's a classic and it's all on Crunchyroll.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dexo posted:

It continued, but it just stopped getting officially translated into english.

I think it's still going over in Japan.

Yea it's still ongoing.

I feel like that won't be the case with the new anime, when it happened I had the impression that the sequel manga wasn't exactly doing big numbers in the west so it was easy for Viz to justify dropping it. An anime that's also a remake is a 'whole different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Seeing as Tenmaku was from a veteran team I could see them creating this first arc as mostly self contained so that if it did get canceled they could at least tell a full story.

I've been reading Detective Conan since it is on the Viz subscription and I'm only a little past 100 chapters but I'm already kind of tired of the part of the story where Conan has to knock someone out to do the big reveal. That part feels very repetitive but the actual mysteries are still fun. Also I think it is kind of goofy how the translation Americanizes some names but not others.

My understanding is that because the dub of the anime changed a bunch of names, the Viz translation of the manga just went with those choices. But since the dub didn't get very far there's a ton of names that never got changed because the dub never reached them. Strange situation to be stuck with that's for sure.