Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Angry Grimace posted:

The rumors are flying that Kiruko is going to be ending in WSJ Issue #22/23 and that Medaka Box will be ending in #24. Allegedly a new manga by Ohba/Obata (Death Note, Bakuman) will be coming out to replace one or both.

I'm kinda sad about medaka box too. I say kinda because I'm honestly not sure whether I think it's genius or awful. Plus I haven't read it in like a year.

Ohba/Obata makes me think it isn't gonna be another battle manga replacing it, so we'll see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
That poo poo'll give you nightmares.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Brought To You By posted:

To be fair, the kid knowingly sold a super weapon to a global super power who would definitely abuse it. So I can see why the author drove the knife in, but adding a new rule just to do it equally feels like a cheap method of accomplishing it.

That's not what happens though? Ryuk just decides to kill him at the end because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Bone Collection just flew by this week.

Yeah, I liked that at the end everyone is just flying home like Goku with zero explanation, I think it's settled into a nice gag niche.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I feel like it doesn't even need to be said anymore, but this week's Roboco was fantastic.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Maybe the best chapter of Roboco so far, and that's saying something.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
This week's Roboco had probably my favourite Hunter x Hunter reference yet. I hope this manga gets 500 more chapters.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Elfface posted:

Bondo is the only normal person in the world. But he's slowly learning to accept that and just let things happen.

So many shoutouts to other fighting sries this time too... as well as the obvious DBZ, we've got HxH in Gorilla's robot-takedown, and Mom channeling Mihawk vs Zoro.

The Bondo's mom thing works so well since I can't remember a single panel in the manga where she isn't holding a knife.

Gorilla might be the purest good boy in the history of manga.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Kumagawa might still be my favourite shounen jump character ever.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Roboco was worth it just for the ringtone.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Nate RFB posted:

I think more often than not this worked for me, like everything with Knuckle's power is hilarious and memorable. What was less fun was when it'd start getting into the weeds on some nen powers in the midst of everything else crawling to halt which was large swaths of Chimera Ant especially.

I really enjoy his method of having complex powers that he lays out and you get to experience the interactions of mechanics and such. I get that it's not for everyone but the Hisoka and Chrollo fight in particular I enjoyed because it showed the reader the cards and then did a crazy trick with them, which I feel like other manga, when they try, never quite manage to pull off as compellingly. It's what makes nen really compelling to me. Knuckle probably has my favourite nen power in the series because it's so weird and used so well in the story.

The chimera ant arc especially, yeah, I'm thinking of the, what, ten seconds that was a couple of chapters of laying out all the chess pieces.

I don't think I'd want every shounen to be that way. I love watching Luffy tank a lightning bolt because he's a rubber man and punch a dragon too, but Hunter x Hunter is my favourite.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Silver2195 posted:

That's definitely an issue with Hunter x Hunter's worldbuilding. There's traces of the same oddness in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but it's even more glaring in Hunter x Hunter.

The real weird one to me is the idea of Killua not even knowing what nen is. Come on Togashi.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
A cheap tactic, but the mangaka of Witch Watch knows what it takes to hook me. It's Hunter x Hunter jokes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
It's extra weird because you have the old, 30 year old guys who are all in charge are super powerful Trion dudes, and the aliens even had an old guy in their ranks but most of them just sit around doing nothing.

Like, it'd be trivial in the setting to just have the grown ups off doing Offworld poo poo and pair it with the protagonist's goals. The Trion soldier fighting and rank wars are even explicitly just basically cadet training anyway.

The weirder thing to me is that there aren't more people whose families are immigrants to this town. You'd think the one contact point earth has with the multiverse would attract people from all over Japan, let alone internationally.

But who cares, the manga is fun.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Silver2195 posted:

(Naruto has a lot of power-up modes, but there's usually some actual tactical reason for characters not using them immediately, such as conserving chakra, waiting for the optimal moment to launch a surprise attack, or the power-up permanently damaging the user's body. In Bleach and Dragon Ball everyone just holds back all the time out of arrogance, laziness, "honor," etc.)

I won't claim that he didn't totally drop the ball on this later, but this was one of my favourite things in Naruto early on. The characters are ninja and assassins and the world is full of people with the sharingan or ANBU who kill ninja and harvest their flesh to implant unique techniques into their own dudes. Whole clans have unique jutsus (let alone bloodline techniques) that are pretty much their entire claim to fame, so it makes perfect sense that people are super paranoid about using or showing off their best jutsu unless they have to.

It's kind of the thing where certain nen techniques or Jusustu kaisen curses get more powerful when (or require) the user explains to their opponent how they work. It always gives me a wry grin.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Witch Watch abandoned that so quick I doubt it should even count. I kind of think the story/setting would be stronger if the mangaka had just went "this is a world where some people are witches/oni /tengu and nobody gives a poo poo" from the get go but whatever who cares.

I think in general its an expansion/variant of "the MC's powers are forbidden /cursed, they are possessed by a demon or they generally have a dark/evil themeing" which is so widespread that its practically ubiquitous. The last shounen I can even remember reading where that wasn't the case was loving Reborn and what does that tell you.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 11, 2021

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Silver2195 posted:

There's nothing particularly "dark" about the main characters' powers in My Hero Academia or World Trigger.

I think One for All falls under the "secret the protagonist can't let anyone know about" that I was responding to, though yeah it's otherwise kind of a positive ability with no real dark nature.

Unless you count the recent reveal that it'd kill any inheritor that wasn't Quirkless in short order, but I wouldn't. .

I'd argue that the nature of Yuma's Black Trigger (and Black Triggers in general) kind of fall under the umbrella of what I'm talking about.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What more 30ish years old than being mired in regret

Yeah, Kafka in Monster 8 kind of reminds me of Space Brothers where its an adult, who has had an adult life for a while looking back at dreams he once had and abandoned, which is a completely believable motivation to me. And it's kind of unique in shounen so I dig it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, Kafka being over a decade older than the rest of the cast shows a lot and I like it. Particularly in his attitude towards progress and failure. He's surrounded by a bunch of hot-blooded late-HS/early-college age kids and the author did a pretty good job of contrasting them I think- even if they do lean on everyone reminding the audience he's older over and over again.

Yeah, I like the kind of "mature student going back to university" vibe that he has going on with his fellow recruits.

I think Witch Watch has really found its niche, great wholesome chapter this week.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I seem to recall it wasn't just me who was praising bone collection in this thread at the time too.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I had a blast reading Bleach even when it got really bad, but tbh a lot of that was coming on here every week where we all shitposted about every bit of insane nonsense that occurred.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I just started reading it based on this post, which was a pretty bad idea in retrospect because now I'm upset. But manga authors need to prioritise their health so I'll endure this suffering.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah from rankings it did not do well, so I am not hopeful. Man I feel I always make bad gambles on Jump series to get invested in.

I've think that you should never get invested in any WSJ manga under like 100 chapters. You're just playing russian axe-roulette every week, it's not good for mental health.

That said, if Polar Opposites gets the axe, I might just lose it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I first read Kongou Banchou because of this thread (or an earlier incarnation) and I far prefer it to seven deadly sins.

SDS to my mind peaked very early with Meliodas catching and throwing back a spear over like 3 miles.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I remember really liking Magi, but I fell off around when they went to the magic school and faced off with dumbledore and scharezade`s... clone?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I'm coming around on Tenmaku cinema I think. The position of ghost as screenwriter and possessed MC as director works to give the main character enough creative agency to not make him feel like too much of a fraud. I think some manga work best when it's just the writer nerding out hard about some subject they are into so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well also kill everyone and bring them back in brainwashed immortal bodies.

I haven't read Black Clover in forever so I can't tell if this is legit or you guys are just saying the bad guy is Madara as a bit.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
The Paris thing is a weird one, because the English pronunciation has stayed the same but the French pronunciation changed. French speakers didn't always drop the s.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I did not realise gormless was British only. This is like me learning that the rest of the English speaking world doesn't use "outwith" all over again.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Clarste posted:

Considering the title is Anti-World Magical Girl Tsubame I am assuming she is meant to be unnerving, yeah.

So I read the first chapter of this, I enjoyed it!

I really didn't like the art when I saw the preview image, but in the actual chapter it has a quite fun kind of anarchic feel. I kind of feel like the Madoka-esque "magical girl but hosed up" thing is a little played out, but the first chapter intrigued me enough that I'll keep reading.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Yeah, I quite liked the first chapter or two, but when it became obvious it was just going to be sliding into male gazey harem bullshit that barely utilised the premise I dropped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I was super confused watching the anime because I remembered the thing with language being the other way around.