Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Dexo posted:

Though they should make another one of those games. They were pretty fun. I imported Ultimate Stars when it came out.

They are making a new Jump-based fighter, but details are pretty light. Only 6 characters are confirmed right now and I haven't heard anything about the combat, so I don't know if it is gonna be like Jump Super Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Fuego Fish posted:

Plus it just so happens to be the greatest sports manga ever created, provided you like American football as played by superhumans ranging from 4 feet tall to 14 feet tall.

I thought Rookies was a baseball manga.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I just love how Spear Hero is going out of his way to gently caress over the Shield Hero. Seems like a bit of an over-reaction to me.

"He picked the shittiest weapon I think he could? I must ruin his life forever."

Granted I don't play MMOs. Is that a normal reaction?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
In a double whammy of ballroom dancing manga, both Ballroom e Youkoso and Straighten Up had chapters drop this week (two in Straighten Up's case).

I'm not the only one who saw the sexual tension at the end of BeY, am I?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Pewdiepie posted:

Now that Naruto and Bleach are over, what would you say the new big 3 are?

Time to pull out this out again, updated for changes:

Kuroyama posted:

I think "Big Three" is a western creation. I prefer thinking in terms like "Top Draws" or "Main Eventers" myself [1], which currently looks like One Piece, MHA, Haikyuu, Shokugeki no Soma, Black Clover, and Promised Neverland. And you got a decent mid-card with titles like Gintama, World Trigger, Toriko, PSI Kusuo Saiki, Straighten Up, Samon the Summoner, and Yuragi-sou no Yuuna. I think that leaves just the new titles that haven't yet gotten over or won't last past 2 months. [2]

[1]: All Jump popularity discussions should use wrestling terms.

[2]: Judgement based on about 2 minutes looking up Jump ToC's.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
From what I've noticed, TPKs generally happen in the first chapter or the very end in series like this. At the start, the TPK sets the tone, and someone comes in to be the "I'm gonna train the survivor(s) to save the world". At the end, the TPK adds a bittersweet or tragic tone to the ending.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ConanThe3rd posted:

I really want to like TPN but I really need it to get to the opposite end of this current arc before I can call it.

I get the feeling that The Promised Neverland, if it makes it past the escape and becomes a long runner, will end up as something that would have worked better as a short story focused just on the escape.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Ytlaya posted:

Even when a series deserves to be cancelled, I still always feel kinda bad because you know the writer must have been super excited about getting into Shounen Jump. It's like someone winning the lottery and then having it rescinded.

edit: Though I imagine that part of it is that they're aiming specifically for Shounen Jump. A lot of the series that I see get cancelled from Shounen Jump (like Red Sprite) seem like they could have easily been serialized in any "lesser" shounen magazine.

Isn't Isayama like one of the few people to shop his title around for Attack on Titan? I remember hearing it was rejected by someone at Shueisha, and he just turned around and took it to Kodansha.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Allarion posted:

Read Bakuman. But basically, the series that get more reader votes are generally placed at the front of the magazine, while the series that are lagging behind, are placed in the back. The exceptions are if they're a big long-time runner like Kochikame was, or still selling well in merchandise and volumes, so they can sit anywhere, and not be canceled. Bleach was sorta like that in its last two years, where everybody knew it was ending and dying so it was always in the back, but it was still making enough profit that they could let that final arc drag on and on. Series on the verge of ending tend to be in the back in general, hence me correctly assuming Toriko was in its final phases even though I don't read Toriko, because it kept showing up at the bottom on a consistent weekly basis.

EDIT: Other fun facts, covers and color pages are generally discounted from rankings. Color pages tend to be used for promoting the series, so if a series gets a color page consistently, that generally means Jump's heavily pushing it, which happened with MHA and Black Clover.

All this, with the caveat that the Jump Editor in Chief (I think. Or at least someone high up in the Shueisha chain.) has final say on the order of series. So the EiC could if they wanted to put lagging series higher than they got by votes, although there's been no confirmation that this ever happened. I think I heard some rumors that Kuroko's Basket was in that position once, but nothing concrete.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Slime posted:

But I thought Boruto was being written by somebody else.

It might be like Toriyama with DB Super. Provide a few broad plot points and some character designs, but leave the finer details to others.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Yeah, it's Straighten Up, the Shonen Jump dancing manga. I wish it had gotten picked up in the English Jump, and am constantly amazed at its continuing publication.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Ballroom e Youkoso is the best ongoing sports/drama manga period.

Hopefully the hiatus comes to an end soon.

Good news, it's returning in 2017.

Ytlaya posted:

I've been enjoying that other ballroom dancing manga (not Ballroom e Youkoso, but the other one). I like how the muscular fro guy isn't just some gay stereotype comic relief and is an actual character with a personality who people interact with normally. The main character's dancing partner/maybe love interest is also pretty cool and a bit unusual as far as shounen female love interests go.

Another kind of interesting thing is how the main character and his partner aren't really exceptional in any way, and it's been explicitly stated that their 2nd year upperclassmen were more talented than them when they started out. It has less of a shounen sports manga feel as a result, with the 2nd year guy feeling more like a typical sports shounen protagonist than the MC. It feels more like a story about the main characters having fun dancing as a school club/hobby than a "AIMING FOR THE TOP" competitive sports manga.

One minor issue is that it's kinda hard to determine how well the characters are dancing from the art. I imagine this is mostly just because it's really hard to convey that through images, but it seems like every time the characters dance and aren't actively loving up they look mostly the same. Ballroom e Youkoso has better art overall, but this one is also pretty decent.

One thing I like about Straighten Up is that it's one of the few sports titles I've read where the coaches are actually teaching the MC to improve his dancing. There's no cryptic clue giving about what he needs to do to get better, they just tell him straight up what to do and what to practice.

Also, Tsuchiya and Watari are one of Jump's most adorable couples right now. I know it's cheesy, but I still like Tsuchi having them dance to One Direction during the school festival to help build Watari's confidence.:3:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
New Straighten Up

I've never been so excited to see people about to dance the quickstep.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

:same:

Only 2-3 new series survive each year. So at least half are dead for sure.

Ore Golazo had its first ranking this issue: #14 of 15. :rip:

Jump isn't gonna have another year like 2008 (2009?) for a while.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

dordreff posted:

Shika High Dance Club has been getting a bunch of updates lately and with every chapter is getting more and more Sports Anime and i'm mad about it. I just want it to go back to cute kids having fun and dancing and less "oohrah my special ability lets me counter yours" poo poo that it was making fun of like 5 chapters before it actually happened.

Sakimoto is the worst part of this series. At least in-story he (should) be out of the picture after this competition, so future events will go so much better.

But yes, the best parts are Tsuchiya and Watari being cute and adorable and I can't wait for them to kiss. Between them and The 1975, I actually sorta like "You Don't Know You're Beautiful" now.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mikl posted:

A couple new chapters have popped up on Mangastream.

We Can't Study is generic as hell, but the art is nice. I give it two more chapters before it devolves into Nisekoi-style shenanigans.

The Promised Neverland: the :stonk: train has no brakes.

What do we do in cases where the official release translates the title differently? Viz went with We Can't Learn for their translation of We Can't Study.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Allarion posted:

It was never sitting near the bottom, so I assumed it ended naturally, but I stopped reading cause scans dried up for a while, so I dunno.

It's hard to tell, because the scans still aren't caught up, so it may have gone straight to poo poo in the end. But it's been sitting pretty in the middle for like a year now.

I feel like there's more that could've been told, but maybe this was a strategy to build up goodwill with Shueisha to get a more out-there concept through the door. Or at least, the author is able to turn around and make that a possibility with the ending of the series.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Huh. I could've sworn it was longer. I thought it was out before Black Clover, but Wikipedia says May 2015.

Did someone think it would not be a good idea to have this compete with Welcome to the Ballroom?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

bondster posted:

Read U19, yea its loving terrible and not subtle at allllllll Grown Ups Party = G.U.P :cripes:

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh god every time someone brings U19 up they find some new angle to the writing :cripes:

I must have scrolled past this like 5 times, and I just now got the "joke".

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mikl posted:

The most interesting way U19 could go is for the protagonist to organize an uprising and take over the school in a coup, setting it up as an independent state.

Also :10bux: says that he actually has an even higher genetic result than his childhood friend (maybe quadruple-S or S-star or something), based on the fact that he didn't want to look at the result in the first place and he's apparently "special" so he can awaken libido problems.

Also also, can we get a name change for this thread?

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > The Miscellaneous Shounen Thread: Shonen Jump Manga Death Watch

Libido powers won't be measured on the same scale that measures the genetic capacity, allowing him to still seem lovely while having the ability to wreck house. For that "underdog" feel.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Nalin posted:

I still don't get it. Is it a play on the German Worker's Party? Grand Old Party? I don't know anything that shares that abbreviation.

It's a play on the Grand Old Party, or GOP, an alternate name for the Republican party in American politics.

I think it's probably a touch added by the translators. Could anyone confirm?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ConanThe3rd posted:

Quite how it's kept it's reputation as the big one, given it's prone to author burnout (World Trigger, Bleach, HxH, Oda's had a few IIRC)

I wouldn't say that World Trigger is the result of author burnout, but rather Ashihara is a person made of tissue paper.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, after reading the whole thing I was able to tell apart most of the main named characters. I mean, they look kinda samey, but not so much that I can't tell them apart.

I hope World Trigger starts again, because I actually like it a lot. Its world-building is pretty weak, but it has some great fights and likable character, which are the main things I'm looking for in shounen battle manga.

It's supposed to come back once the author heals up from his injuries, but there's no word as to when that'll be yet.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Jose posted:

how do you or anyone else know this?

ANN had an article about the hiatus. It also mentions that he'd gone in for treatment in 2014, and some of his previous breaks.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

madmac posted:

It does feel a bit directionless even by Shonen Romcom standards, sure. I don't dislike it but there's nothing going on to make me keep reading it either.

OTOH, most Shonen Romcoms have some unbelievably terrible plot hook that just drags the story down like Nisekoi's secret promise girl magic keychain BS, or Love Hina's secret promise girl...secret...promise...thing so it could always be worse.

U-19 is just aggressively bad, but Demon Prince Diary is charmingly goofy in the first chapter at least.

We Never Learn needs to introduce some new characters pronto, and settle in as a shonen sitcom.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I remember seeing a chapter or two of another fencing manga. I can't remember the name, but I can remember it was focused on an all girl club.

Ringing a bell for anyone else?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
That's the one.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Crain posted:

Hell. Sena would probably be scouted for the olympics with his speed and running style. Sure a 40 yard dash is way different from a 100 meter sprint. But that's just a ma of training.

Side note: my autocorrect keeps trying to make Sena into Sean and I realized that's probably what a 4kids translation would have made him. Sean. Sean ... kowalski. Yeah.

Rookies (the actual best sports manga ever) did the same thing with Sekikawa, the team's best runner, practicing with the track club to improve his run times.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Heavy Metal posted:

Rurouni Kenshin is still the best miscellaneous shounen saga of all time, just sayin'! Hiten Mitsurugi style baby.

Volumes 25 and 26 of Rurouni Kenshin are the best volumes of manga ever, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Nate RFB posted:

The Kyoto arc of Kenshin remains to this day what I would probably consider the top-to-bottom best singular shounen arc. Lots of memorable villains and fights with a great build up to a great finale.

I've never really been a fan of the arcs that followed, despite Enishi being probably the best overall villain in the story and it having at least one really shocking scene/panel (folks probably know the one I mean). It got really silly around this point (one of the villains had a straight up modern day grenade launcher) and outside of Enishi every other villain was throwaway and forgettable.

Kuroyama posted:

Volumes 25 and 26 of Rurouni Kenshin are the best volumes of manga ever, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is We Never Learn being translated online still? I rarely venture outside of MangaStream these days but I would definitely like to continue reading it if it doesn't get picked up by the English Jump. I didn't know there was a third girl!

Allarion posted:

Jaimini's box usually picks up Jump's stuff, which you can find on their site or batoto.

One of the six series (Dr. Stone, We Never Learn, Hungry Marie, Robot, Poro, U19) is gonna start running in the English Jump next week too.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Ytlaya posted:

It's alright for a harem series, though dark skin and glasses girl are both pretty common stereotypes (the former is a very typical "genki athletic girl" and the latter is a Yuki Nagato-esque "socially dumb" type character). Long hair is sort of like a mix between a "ditzy beauty" character and a yamato nadeshiko (though more the former than the latter).

At the very least it's better than that other WSJ harem series with the ghost girl.

edit: Probably my favorite recent example of a harem-ish shounen romcom is Masamune's Revenge, because 1. actual progress is made in a relatively timely manner and 2. the main character's gimmick is that he's actually good looking, so it comes off as less bizarre that girls are interested in him (and even then the series limits the number of girls who are clearly interested in him to like 3 or 4, only 2 of which are ever treated as serious contenders).

I mean, I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that it's good, but I was at least able to read it, while I can't bring myself to read harem series that run for hundreds of chapters with zero progress/resolution. I also really dislike when the protagonist is a socially awkward reader stand-in (this is something We Never Learn is pretty good about; the MC is a decent looking guy who has some genuinely exceptional qualities, so it's not that unbelievable that some girls might be interested in him), so the few series that create believable romances gain some points in my book.

We Never Learn seems to be a little better as everyone isn't full-on lovey-dovey with each other. It seems like there's enough possibility for it to take a step back and just let everyone be good friends with the MC.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Don't forget this character once had the evil plot of "end the series before the anime debuts".

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

The anime doesn't really get to the good stuff.

Even worse, it got 2 seasons, and the second season ended about 5 seconds before the good stuff.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Ytlaya posted:

So I guess Norman is actually dead in Promised Neverland? For a long time I kept expecting there to be some trick involved, but I can't imagine any way that he could have avoided dying in his situation.

He'll probably be back to show us what happens to men who cooperate with the demons.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The ruse won't last past the OP but what a ruse it will be.

With a little work, you could probably do something similar to the Jojo part 4 anime thread.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Plutonis posted:

Where's the story? Also iirc it was because he was peeking on women's baths or something lol

It's in the American Shonen Jump. Don't know if scanlators have picked it up yet.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
It's so fun to catch up on the thread when I just finished reading the latest Blue Exorcist chapter. Which is a cool and good series and deserves the praise it receives.

Spoiler for the latest chapter: Yukio's power finally showed itself at the end of the chapter. And it looks like it has more of a separate personality that Rin's does.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Rodyle posted:

Mashima at one point had 2 fairy tail spinoffs and the main series running concurrently and would still randomly toss out omakes, idk what that crew runs on

Mashima works fast enough he was able to take a weekend off to play through FFXV, and still come out with a complete chapter without delays or half-finished pages. He could probably get 500 chapters out in a month if he had the super dedicated ethic of other artists. Of course, he'd also probably die of exhaustion after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what, don't you remember the old bleach threads where a few dumbasses were convinced that kubo had an elaborate story plotted out from the start, with numerous callbacks and hidden depth? then there was the actual bleach manga, where the writing was poo poo with a side of poo poo and a poo poo milkshake.

Kubo had a few things he wanted to happen, he's even said so. It's just that he sucked at the connecting everything in a logical or satisfying matter.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Personally, I wasnt convinced as much as I sincerely wanted a good end to the series, it was something I acrually enjoyed and the end was like seeing your childhood pet grow old, have all its fur fall off and die in a puddle of its own poo poo and piss.
I think around yhwach's umpteenth rear end pull everyone just checked out and started shitposting.

It was five minutes a week to read a chapter, ten if my internet was buggy. After a while I was just curious to see how bad it could get.