Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sakamoto is always cooking. Shishibe is awesome and this fight had a perfect conclusion.

Kagurabachi: that panel with “I’m shocked!” Made me laugh.

Ruri: we talked a little about how good or bad Ruri actually is. Chapters like this remind me why I liked it. It’s somehow very relatable. I do wonder though where we’re going with this slice of life story.

Undead: finally insight into the biggest solo from last loop. He just needed coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Catching up on Roboco and the Shogi chapter is so good

Also I think I'm starting to get what they're doing with the chapters about Roboco making manga.

Oh man, that chapter was so good. So utterly nonsensical.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

otoh I can sympathize with Ruri’s motivation to put it off, namely “gawd, I don’t wanna”

Yeah but Ruri has that a lot. Even the sore muscles at the end while a comical note is recognizable. Her constant insecurities about everything, except no one cares.

Elite posted:

I still think Wild Strawberry had a really good 2-3 opening chapters, but then instantly lost my interest after that. Largely because it spent like 3 chapters on a incredibly pointless fight when “these people will immediately team up” was so obvious it was probably visible from space.

Something I find notable about Ruri, is that the mom... has personality.
Which sounds like a stupid comment but most series it seems like parents either fell off the planet somehow, or are the Harbingers Of NoFunAllowed, so having a parent character that’s a) present, b) fun, is an anomaly.

Yeah, the mom is great.

Shinji2015 posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1772278532225278444

in case no one saw it today, Ghost Reaper Girl is going on indefinite hiatus due to Saike's health. Not incredibly shocking and I won't miss it, but hopefully he can make a full recovery.

That’s unfortunate even if I completely lost the plot at this point. I kinda enjoyed it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RatHat posted:

What was the worst manga that ever got published in Jump?

Wouldn’t the first question then be to ask how do you define worst?

Is it art? Storyline? Characters? Premise? A blend?

Earthchild comes to mind with having terrible art, characters and storyline. The premise had promise though.

The just mentioned Candy Flurry had a baffling premise and a generic storyline but the characters and dialogue were pretty fun.

But then you have stuff like the last Saiyuki(?) Which was just wholly forgettable. Pretty standard setting, standard characters, nothing special. No one is going to miss it, no one is ever going to bring it up again. I would say that that at least allows it to rank as worst. Unlike Earthchild that had people tuning in just to see how terrible it was going to get.

Or what about that martial arts manga from not to long ago…Neru? I think.
That was pretty boring and bad because it was both generic and the art just seemed to give up causing everyone to fight in large white voids while everyone had the same face with weird wavy 80s mullet hair.
The first chapter was fun and had some fun ideas but everything after just forgot about what was fun.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

But I liked The Last Saiyuki!

I didn’t hate it and read it till the end. But it was very forgettable.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

I mean he was, but a good writer could use that as a jumping off point for his character development. Have him learn and grow as a person, have him struggle with imposter syndrome, there's a ton of directions you could go with it. But instead we just had a million time skips that jumped over everything that could have possibly been interesting.

Like a certain Rakugo manga that’s quite popular? Have a character learn and grow constantly?

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'll say this much, if Shojo Null pulls off what I think it's trying to then it'll certainly be quite the thing.

Yeah…I have little faith. But this could be interesting at least.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Arist posted:

Undead Unluck: RIP this chapter's translator

We will remember his sacrifice.

Very cool strategy in this one as well. Basically undead unluck good.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I looked at Twin Star Exorcists and it genuinely feels like the artist is in a competition with themselves to figure out costumes that are as close to being naked as possible without going over.

I think he got it with the King and Queen of the Kegare.
I can’t wait to see them speedrunning conceiving, having and raising a baby in 77 days. It’s no doubt going to be less amusing than I’m imagining.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Arist posted:

I am cackling at the end of this chapter of UU

Same.
Feng owning Shen Long while asleep just makes it better.

That dragon definitely seemed like a Dragonball tribute to me.

Sakamoto: Osaragi doing the ring. :allears:

Between these 2 stellar chapters this was a great manga weekend.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Centuria looks amazing, I hope it manages to not be cancelled.

Yeah I started reading it. Immediately liked the opening pages but haven’t finished yet. It seems promising.

Julias posted:

A slightly better look at some of the new WSJ series:

https://x.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1777058250598346985

I’m not the only one who sees Luffy in the lead?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

See, I felt like it wasn't a particularly special opening chapter, even if it was a good one-shot. We get backstory and powers for the lead, but at the end, we only have one real character, and no idea what his story is going to be like. Everyone else except the baby and the monster is dead, and the hook at the end is weak.

Compare to Astro Baby, which has a similar setup in terms of relevant surviving characters, and you get much more of an objective, clear enemies, and a setting that allows for easy access to supporting cast, enemies, and adventures, on top of a strong ending hook. I'd say that's a stronger opening already this year, even if Centuria would be better as a one-off.

I finally got around to finishing Centuria yesterday. I felt the opening pages were very strong, but I agree with this assessment. We’re now in that weird void where we don’t know where this is going. A lot like Earthchild. Where the first chapter was pretty interesting with a lot of potential directions and it picked all of them and none of them.
In this case there’s no clear goal other than “keep kid safe” except there’s no one after the child. So it’s already safe by sheer technicality.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

A martial arts technique name being used for a word is so amazing

Yeah. Also means he can keep going forever just making up random words and claiming they’re attacks.

He also just one shot god. Feng proving the popularity contest was right.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah Heart Gear’s reveal gave me a pretty big :shrug: nothing really changed. I do wonder what the gears want to ask her.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I do think it is funny how in Heart Gear all the female presenting gears have extremely horny designs. Like when Hildr removed her armor and revealed giant knockers and a big ole booty.

Hey hey, Hildr’s were obviously according to combat spec. Powerful protection bumpers. :v:
I’m disappointed the wide hipped one didn’t have a dumb rear end reason for looking like that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This set it and forget it felt mildly uncomfortable. This stick thin girl wants to diet to look like the other stick thin girl. :psyduck:
But then she actually points out not eating is bad, only to try and stop herself from eating out of the name of dieting again a few pages later. But then she’s also exercising extra.
I’m all for getting into shape but this was pretty weird.
Or was it a translation thing?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Is that new manga by Tapioca’s first sin (or whatever the squid thing was called) and that other bullying and abuse manga?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Nue's Exorcist is frustrating because it has one somewhat interesting idea (the tension between Nue and the exorcists' association), but mostly it coasts on "What if Bleach, but horny?" And yet it's still better than Dear Anemone, because at least I can keep most of the main characters and the general situation straight.

I'm digging Green Green Greens and Kagurabachi, though, and I'm still reserving judgment on Astro Royale and Necromance. (Astro Royale really needs a more distinctive name, though.) Super Psychic Policeman Chojo is...intermittently funny, I guess, but still funny less often than Witch Watch.

Yeah I keep falling off the Nue wagon only to climb back on later. It’s a very annoying series.

Kaguraibachi, honestly I think it’s bad. I’m reading it though because it’s bad in the same way as the transformers movies. And I like those. It’s just a guy going from one set piece to the next beating people up. There’s just enough emotional investment that attempts at drama sort of lightly touch but even the manga doesn’t want to dwell on them.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

That feels like a pretty surface level read. Kagurabachi is a shonen fight manga, sure. It's about Chihiro hunting down bad dudes and slicing them up but good. But it's shockingly well done fight manga, especially since everyone assumed it'd be a punchline when it released. The paneling is nicely cinematic (better than Chainsaw Man recently, if only because Chainsaw Man's paneling in the last arc has mostly been pretty standard, while Kagurabachi's still young and hungry), the flow is good, and there's some play with the themes and tone, like the discussion of artistic interpretation of the blades, or Mr. Inazuma's whole scene.

Chihiro's a solid protagonist, too. He's got a lot of the edgelord traits people made fun of early on, but he's also a total softy around kids, a clever planner, and his unflappability means that him actually flipping out in the latest chapter is "Oh, crap." rather than "Yep. The hero says he can't forgive the bad guy. Never seen that before." Better still, we have Shiba in position to undermine the tough guy monologues without undermining the competence, keeping the series in balance.

Basically, it's good. It's just good in the way that fits a series in Shonen Jump where dudes get totally sliced open all the time, rather than in the way of Tolstoy or Tarkovsky.

Paneling is good, action is good. So I enjoy that. Just like I enjoy the transformers movies which are non stop carnage and explosions.

I like the soft moments Chihiro gets, it breaks his facade. Just like how sometimes liked the human characters in transformers. :dunno:

The teatime talk with the cloud gouger user was a cool metaphor.

I just don’t think it’s good. It feels less like a story to me and more like a series of cool and well executed check points.

Chainsawman, honestly I think the current part 2 is overrated. Half the panels appear to be Denji or someone else having a slack jawed :downs: expression. Very little of the comedic timing has been present in this run, not to mention how they’re treating our loveable goof Denji.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Joe Desperado posted:

Seven Deadly Sins was a bad series with a handful of extremely great moments sprinkled throughout. I still go back to that first Escanor fight sometimes.

Escanor was great in that he was the stereotypical pride fight guy, except in his case he literally was the strongest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

If we are talking about generic/model/cliche shonen series I'd say 7DS was fine all the way through the initial conflict with Hendrickson and Dreyfus in the capital. Nothing really special but a lot of solid moments, good art, and decent fights during that time and the plot didn't feel like it was meandering around. I think the subplot about the knights being fed demon blood was one of the elements I liked most and one of the better beats to that story also involved the introduction of the Dawn Roar which had one of my all-time favorite characters in the series. It is a crime that Slader didn't get to scale further into the series.

After the capital, while things are cooling down and switching gears for the 10 commandments, the story makes the baffling choice to start keeping track of power levels and we get a lot of bad character drama for the main cast. That's when things start to go downhill. The only real selling point of the series would shift to Escanor just being a badass and poo poo-talking everyone.

Having kept up with the sequel series, I can safely say that Nakaba still makes Diane and King the absolute worst characters to follow. King is a terrible leader and now a terrible father and Diane still has nothing better to do than be treated like a giant punching bag. The whole drama of the current arc could have been avoided if either had been a decent parent and just told their fey kidnapped son he was adopted and already given the magical drug he's been angsting over for years
You know what, this is a perfect summary of SDS.