Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
"My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!" from Shōnen Jump+ shows some promise, with 4 chapters published as I am typing this. If you are interested in something new, read the first chapter before the spoiler tags:

I did not read the title when I was looking for new manga, so the ending of the first chapter hooked me out of nowhere. I cannot recall a manga/anime where it seems to have a genuine attempt to flesh out a "healthy" relationship between a yandere and the protagonist. Most anime and manga seem to use yanderes as a gag, plot device, or force of nature. Kisaki is currently all of those aforementioned things, but I believe the long-term success of this manga is going to depend on how the mangaka chooses to step outside that boundary as their relationship is explored and has progressed. (Or it can keep doing gags/surprises, though I think there are only so many gags/surprises before the manga feel repetitive and ends.)

Nonetheless, as "healthy" as their relationship is, toxicity is not what anyone should aspire to have, but like Haruka, I have been hooked in: I have his same curiosity in seeing where their relationship goes from here. Like Haruka, I am also looking for something new, and this manga is definitely new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I like the ending of Mashle. It could have been long running like One Punch Man, though I like that it ends as it is.

Brought To You By posted:

Goosebump Girlfriend: I love the seesaw of yandere we got here.

The mangaka is great at running a tight line between wholesome and toxic.

Kingtheninja posted:

Blue box gave us pervy chii this week and I couldn't be happier.

I can appreciate a romance that is depicted more realistically than others.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I guess Do Retry is also probably a sports manga?

I know its about boxing but not sure the sports vibes were there in the few chapters I read

What else was Do Retry going to be? A biopic in postwar Japan?

SpacePig posted:

Do Retry definitely isn't going to be about boxing form or learning how to actually fight. I can't tell if I like it or not.

Do Retry, so far, seems to be like Kuroko's Basketball, Prince of Tennis, March Comes In like a Lion, etc., where the sport or game in question is more used as a setting for a story rather than as a story about the sport or game.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Skeleton Double:

I got real worried when the story started going down the "school shooter" route. Having such a protagonist requires a "Taxi Driver" level of setup and writing to ensure the protagonist is not simply glorified or praised for his unhealthy obsessions, but I do not expect that level of writing in a shonen manga. For the better, the narrative goes down a more typical shonen route. I like the transition to a teacher intervention since that story beat reiterates a theme of the overall narrative where a random stranger helps another and informs more about Yodomi's character such as explaining how Yodomi's inclination to fighting stems more from his years of dealing with his emotions through physical exercise rather than from his obsessive machinations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Skeleton Double: Nobody expected the MC bisected another man all so he could go to the beach. I liked the small detail of the MC going into combat mode when who I am now going to predict will turn out to be best girl makes her intro.

It's just like Gurren Lagann.

No matter what the situation or setting, anime/manga always find its way to the beach.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Sakamoto Days: Given that a mind reader exists in the story and one of the orphans demonstrates magnetic powers, I can only assume that Uzuki went through some child experimentation where he can absorb the soul/mind of an individual.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

KidDynamite posted:

Akane-Banashi: there's no way Akane loses right? I don't see where losing at this point puts her narratively. i'm also ridiculously antsy waiting for the results.

Whether she wins or loses, she will probably move forward in one fashion or another. If she wins, the narrative goal is obvious, but if she loses, I can imagine her getting tutelage from the Arakawa school e.g. something along the lines of expanding your horizons and stepping out of your father's shadow to develop your own form. Her dad may visit or call her after the performance to either congratulate her or comfort her, and depending on the result, tell her to impress them all or to now practice her own Rakugo. There is no death fights or whatever, and she is not starved for cash, as she lives with her mom. So the only performance that has actual consequences are the promotions.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Clarste posted:

Given how hosed-up their clan is, it's actually kind of weird how normal he and his sister grew up to be.

For Gero, he has explained that Bug User kept him well adjusted. For his sister, that has yet to be explained.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

I have to wonder if this is just another story wrinkle or is the next chapter the end of Kill Blue?

SpacePig posted:

I like Kill Blue a lot, but it would also be very funny for this to be how it ended. Just "Oh, you got better on your own, we were wrong" would be an incredible way to wrap up something cancelled early.

I doubt manga is ending. Instead, I believe the narrative is setting up a way for Juzo to transform back to an adult temporarily. I would guess that the cherry he ate that day would be the cause.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Now it is his time to be the crazy one :getin:

He always was

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Elite posted:

I like the idea of Cipher Academy, but it feels like some parts of it are basically untranslatable, so some of the puzzles are pretty much impossible which really hampers my enjoyment. What I want from a puzzle based series is to feel smart for solving puzzles and Cipher Academy achieves the opposite of that.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2023-02-20/translator-resigns-from-cipher-academy-manga-citing-translation-difficulty/.195094

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

I doubt manga is ending. Instead, I believe the narrative is setting up a way for Juzo to transform back to an adult temporarily. I would guess that the cherry he ate that day would be the cause.

This is my guess for Kill Blue.

Also, for Blue Box -- what a wonder to have two manga with "Blue" with the name running in the same magazine at the same time --- I suspect we will see Saki now that Kyo name dropped her.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

When I read through Hikaru no Go a couple years ago the ending just kind of comes out of nowhere. Nothing really feels like it gets resolved in regards to Sai or the rivalry between Hikaru and Akira.

When I was reading it at the time, I believe the prominent rumor was that Jump/mangaka was going to sued for its depiction of a real-life go player, so the mangaka had to cancel the series. Nonetheless, I have been trying to find the source now, and I have failed to find a credible source.

Nevertheless, I assume the manga had to end for one reason or another, so it is the ending we got.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Shinji2015 posted:

New manga on Manga Plus from the creator of Moebana: Tsuruko Returns the Favor

The premise seems a little worrisome!

The mangaka is really into idol and otaku culture. That is the only thing in common between the two mangas. Otherwise, this seems to be the opposite of Moebana, where everything was wholesome and it was about relationships and flowers. Moebana ended with the protagonist becoming a teacher, and now Tsuruko Returns the Favor starts with a teacher as the protagonist. Perhaps cancellation has scared the mangaka, so the mangaka has resorted to the dark side.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I don't know if Witch Watch is going to end, but it does feel like that it could if the creator wanted. Lotta things are getting tied up, and while it could go back to gags after this arc, I dunno how much juice would be left afterwards

The actual prophecy has yet to be fulfilled: "moon being devoured". I doubt it is ending just yet, and all of the defeated foes seem to have become friendly and affable. And the real evil mastermind has yet to show themselves.

She's far too honorable for her own purposes.

Sounds like a friend everyone should have

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Alacron posted:

Yukko becomes the main character and it becomes a gritty revenge story

Plot twist: This is just elaborate hardcore mermaid foreplay before they have coitus

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah Do Retry is done, not really sad. Was reading it out of sheer momentum. Wasn’t that good.

Do Retry had a chance to be good if it actually committed to "having a strong heart" does not solve everything. The narrative was set up to discuss how this typical shonen trope cannot handle certain issues which is why Nijimura resorted to using drugs. But in the end, "having a solve heart" apparently solves everything, including PTSD and TB.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

The Black Stones posted:

Huh, Ayakashi Triangle ended. Bit of a weak ending as well. Pretty big “and things will continue to happen” non-ending.

I am a bit surprised. The story hints that the Medium has a storied past that we have not fully exhausted such as the King of Yamato, but in the ultimate moment, Suzu agrees to ignore that and there is no narrative consequences aside from her limited use of the Life Halo. If the mangaka does not have much story left to tell, I guess this is the ending we get, but the story had more room to breathe.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The update seemed to have remove free access to the recent releases of the re-editions of older manga like Claymore and Bleach. I was using that to read older manga that I did not read the first time. I hope this gets corrected.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean, I knew that the PPPPPP mangaka wasn't the best artist but uh....that face is certainly something.

After reading the first chapter, there can be some potential. The author's art style seems to fit the aesthetics of what the story seems to be going for. Nonetheless, I wonder if the narrative of postmodern magical girls, especially given Madoka and its derivatives, is fruitful and can still have nuance.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Madoka, wasn't really the first of the those. Its kind of a standard part of the genre.

I am not saying Madoka was the first to deconstruct the genre or introduce disillusion into its concept: I am just saying that Madoka became popular and inspired many other anime/manga in its genre to do the same. We got Magical Girl Raising Project, Magical Girl Site, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, etc. that came shortly afterwards. Anyway, my original point is that, given how many other stories there are of its like, how much can Tsubame do to stay out from the rest. It might end up a perfectly fine manga, but it might not be nuanced.

To give a point of reference, Harry Potter was not the first story to have a world with wizards and a young adult as the protagonist, but it became popular and inspired many other stories across various mediums to have their own versions of the stories. At this current point, the ideas to stand out with a similar story has run pretty dry, but Mashle did prove me wrong. Here's hoping that Tsubame proves me wrong too.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

Tension is one of the major aspects of a good shonen fight, and I feel like the structure of this half is undermining that.

I agree with you that the NG+100 loop has basically no tension. Nonetheless, given how many unfortunate events occurred in the last loop -- especially towards the end -- this new loop is essentially catharsis while also fleshing out or creating new backstories of many characters. While it may be boring, the characters deserve it. Some readers may dislike this approach, while others may like it. I am just in the middle.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
"Me and My Gangster Neighbour" just ended.

It was one of the few currently-running shonen manga where family dynamics was a central theme to its narrative. The manga's examination of family dynamics is quite exhaustive and mature, and if any of that perks your interest, I recommend giving this manga a try before Shonen Jump+ puts most of its chapters behind a paywall for becoming a completed work.

Light spoilers: The ending was good. The events towards the ending highlights the past events in a different context. Nevertheless, I wish the story actually delve deeper into the murkier and darker side of family dynamics: we only got a glimpse at those themes at the end. The narrative normally has a story structure of where it sets up story points in more "fluff" slice of life moments which later become more relevant toward climaxes of a storyline or reveal, but in the ending, a lot of Aoi's past was discussed and resolved very quickly. Towards the end, quite a few story beats cut quickly into their themes or messages rather than having those themes and messages be built up and addressed over some chapters. Ultimately, the ending was still good, and overall, the manga is still something I would recommend. But the narrative had more room to explore, and the ending could have been great rather than just good.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: The manga has taken a different turn from where it started, and now we have a timeskip which can be a sign that manga is or could be axed. It is a bit meta that the latest chapter has Haruka's internal thoughts berating himself for how his kindness (e.g. stopping himself from cheating on Kisaki even though it could have been thrilling and have led to a twisting narrative) has essentially left him with a sparse memory, and in reflection, we, the reader, have recently gotten very little of Haruka's life because there is no "excitement". I hope the timeskip leads to a nuance turn in the narrative, but it might be the final destination.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Darth TNT posted:

Anyone still reading Shojo null? It’s honestly going into comedy at this point.

Are we reading the same manga? The manga has kept to its same tone of mixing between lighthearted and gloomy situation and aesthetics, and I have not laughed yet. Latest chapter just ended with a large pile of corpses again.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

panko posted:

world trigger has been a manga about metagaming since the end of its first arc and I’ve resigned myself to not remembering 90% of the character’s names or personality traits but I like it. reading about people gaining incremental advantages or sussing out broken strategies via ingenuity makes the gamer in me smile

In training, the agents have balanced triggers, but outside of the training, a few of them have completely overpowered triggers. And eventually (I hope), when they face off against other neighbors, the metagaming is probably going to be removed because those neighbors will have overpowered triggers.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

It's basically a sports manga. Even in the "real" fights, the characters usually fight in ways where they can't die (and their opponents also usually "play the game" fairly). People generally play by a consistent set of "rules" and fight using an understood "toolkit." And even the exceptions that are outside of that toolkit (the black triggers) still feel relatively "fair" in how they're used - they're really strong weapons that can usually make an individual stronger than any individual with a regular trigger, but they can still be overcome.

With the fights so far, the mangaka have made it so that basic triggers vs a black trigger fights involve a numbers advantage or some kind of gimmick/scenario to make the fight fairer or less impactful if one side loses. Otherwise, it is 1v1 or balanced teams in a black trigger vs black trigger fight.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's such a strange, yet engaging series for me. (With many characters being way younger than they should be)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxCMyLm6js

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

In this case it’s not guessing characters ages that is the issue, lots of people just seem younger than they should be.

The point of the video is not about guessing the age: it is a common anime/manga trope that most characters are way younger than they ought to be or way older than they ought to be.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The manga was pretty generic. I was expecting an axe soon.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

I don't know if it got better but I dropped it after a couple of chapters just because it wasn't doing anything interesting and was just a Demon Slayer copycat.

It came off more like Seven Deadly Sins copycat than a Demon Slayer copycat.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but it still must suck to have the excitement of making it into The Biggest Shounen Magazine and then fail in the end. It's not like being a mangaka generally pays well, so that might be one of the few routes to a high income in the industry.

I imagine they at least prepare themselves for it mentally.

This is like a plot point in Bakuman

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Lt. Lizard posted:

Undead Unluck: Between this, Sound Hashira from Demon Slayer and, of course, 100 Girlfriends there is a surprising amount of shonen series saying "gently caress monogamy" recently. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgFyCuKoEGA

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Versus by One finally came out on KManga, and the manga app just sucks. As a free user, I get a daily ticket(s), but the app only allows up to chapter 6 to use these tickets. Otherwise, to get to the latest chapter 13, you have to use points which either means spending real money or accruing a daily 5 points a day to read a chapter which is worth 139 or 179 each

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Silver2195 posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen and even Nue’s Exorcist at least have an additional hook on top of that.

Isn't Nue's Exorcist's hook just ecchi?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was a young girl that trapped herself in a bunny suit using her negator ability.

I predict we will have a negator ability that is relevant for or to some beach/hot spring episode.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Justin_Brett posted:

I'd love to see what situation would require Unhealthy

I imagine a scenario where her ability allows her to 1v1 Sick

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Darth TNT posted:

I am surprised but it’s mythical status as well. It was fun in how understated it was. But currently that was the only hook it had going. It was cute, but not amazing.

If K-On can succeed, so can RuriDragon

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Stage S finally returns from hiatus

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Couple of remarks on a couple of manga that have ended:

Goosebump Girlfriend: The ending is not as good as the beginning, and if anything, I would have like to see how their reformed relationship grow into what we see in the ending. I believe this manga could have been like Kaguya-sama: Love is War but yanderes instead of tsunderes, but alas, the moment Haruka decided not to cheat on Kisaki the manga very much ventured away from that yandere edge.

Service Wars: This manga ended a while ago. It was a funny manga that did not take itself too seriously. I also like how the battles were mostly done through acts of being a service worker. Unfortunately, the manga burned through a lot of jokes quickly, and if anything became too repetitive, the narrative would shift gears into something slightly else e.g. shift from working in a small restaurant into a tournament arc. Eventually, the battles just became regular battles with the aesthetics of being acts of a service worker, and I feel like there was additional jokes it could have used e.g. include how service is done internationally. Nonetheless, at least the manga stuck to a satisfying ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Silver2195 posted:

I just subscribed to the Viz app (not to be confused with the Shonen Jump app). There’s an interesting array of older shojo and shonen stuff available. So far I’ve mostly been reading The Law of Ueki.

I like many of the weird turn-X-into-Y powers, like the main villain’s power to turn any inanimate object into the Platonic Form of that kind of object. The fights are generally clever; they do run into the “protagonist taking too many hits” problem to an extent, but for once we actually get an explanation for this eventually. It also has a really great secondary protagonist in Mori.

My biggest complaint is probably that Ueki’s recklessness gets obnoxious even by shonen manga standards at times, like when he declines the opportunity for healing or training breaks because he’s so mad at the villains that he just has to fight them now (sometimes resulting in a deus ex machina interrupting the fight to force him to take a healing/training break). The characterization of the villains can also get a bit rote; you’d think the premise would allow for a pretty wide variety of motivations, but they end up mostly being variations on people who think that true altruism doesn’t exist and/or that caring about others makes you weak.

So are you going to read Law of Ueki Plus?