Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Shounen is a genre encapsulating dozens and dozens of ongoing manga in Japan. Primarily marketed towards boys and young men, they're often fantastical in nature and feature protagonists the reader can relate to. This thread is for everything that doesn't have a large enough fanbase here for its own thread, and to introduce brand new serializations to the forums that may eventually get their own thread. If it gets big enough, make a thread for it! Thread alumni include heavyweights like Beelzebub, Silver Spoon and Toriko.

How do I know if [manga] is actually Shounen?

Well, all the reader sites are pretty good about labeling that sort of thing. A couple good rules of thumb to follow are:

Is the lead protagonist female?

If so, there's a pretty solid chance you're looking at a shoujo or josei series. You'll want this thread instead. However, if the plot is very action oriented, it could be Shounen or Seinen.

Is the violence extremely graphic and/or is there uncensored nudity?

That's probably a Seinen series, marketed toward grown men and adults in general. They usually have serious, more realistic stories. Your historic and "hard" sci-fi manga usually fall under this category. You can find the seinen thread here.

So what's good to read right now?

There's several manga that get new chapters posted regularly in the thread! :toot:

Rosario+Vampire
By a bizzare coincidence, Tsukune Aono has accidentally gotten himself admitted to a youkai academy, a school attended by monsters. Just when he thinks he'll run away from there, he meets the beautiful girl Moka and his mood turns ultra happy. However, she transforms into her true form when the rosary on her chest is taken off--she's a vampire!

Witch Craft Works
Honoka Takamiya is a regular student whose only problem seems to be that he sits next to Ayaka Kagari, the school's #1 beauty. They have never crossed words before, and even a small interaction between them results in her fan club beating him. Yet, when a falling part of the school's building is about to send him to the afterlife, it was she who came to his rescue dressed as a witch, carrying him in her arms and floating on a broom. She continues to protect him using her fire magic until the attempt on his life ends. She tells him it is her mission to protect him, and that now she can finally protect him openly. Why was Takamiya attacked, who asked Kagari to protect him, and why does she refer to him as "my princess"?

It's not my fault I'm not popular!
Kuroki Tomoko is a super popular, high school girl, who has had 50 years of dating experience, and 100 boys... in the Otome game world. In the real world, she is a 15 year old shut in. However, when school isn't going as she expected, and she isn't as popular as she had thought she was, she takes a look at herself in the mirror for the first time in a few years, and has some shocking revelations...

Nanatsu no Taizai
The "Seven Deadly Sins", a group of evil knights who conspired to overthrow the kingdom of Britannia, were said to have been eradicated by the Holy Knights. Ten years later, the Holy Knights have staged a Coup d'état and assassinated the king, becoming the new, tyrannical rulers of the kingdom. Elizabeth, the king's only daughter, sets out on a journey to find the "Seven Deadly Sins", and to enlist their help in taking back the kingdom.

Again!!
The main character is a student attending his high-school graduation. Due to his appearance and personality, he didn't make a single friend during his three years of high school. As he remembers his days in the school, he wonders what his life would have been like if he had made different choices. In particular he wonders about his life had he answered differently when girl from the cheering club asked him to join. Since the cheering club was disbanded, he feels he should take one last look at their club room before leaving the school forever. However, he is misunderstood by another girl that was waiting for her boyfriend and as he chases her, she falls down the stairs. He goes to check on her but ends up falling too. He wakes up to find he is back to his first day in school. Thinking it's obviously a dream, he just tries to correct the mistakes he made during that day...until the girl shows up blaming him for pushing her down the stairs and what's worse bringing her three years into the past!

Sket Dance
The hilarious misadventures of the "Sket Dan"; a couple of high-schoolers who help out people as part of their club activity. Himeko, the hot-headed ex-delinquent with a soft spot for cute things and a taste for strange food. Switch, the brainy otaku who only talks via a computerized speech-application. And Bossun, the atypical leader of this looney bunch, with the amazing power to... concentrate very hard!

Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san (Cancelled :( )
Meet the tiny police station of rejects, consisting of Kanjuurou the snide chief, Haruki the common pervert patrol officer, and Kiruko, the rookie policewoman… who also just happens to be an insanely strong former military mercenary!

Sengoku Youko
"Stop your evil deeds and take the right path!" That is the creed of Youko Tama and her younger step brother, Jinka Sendou. The two demon siblings travel the country to stop the deeds of all evil doers, along with a scaredy cat swordsman they picked up along the way, Hyoudou Shinsuke. Their travels lie with many twists and turns, as well as wacky characters they'll meet along the way.

Zettai Karen Children
It's the 21st century, and the number of ESPers continues to increase. They are active in the military, diplomacy, politics, and in other places. They hold the key for global competition. A country that controls ESP can control the world! However individuals who posses higher than Level 4 are less than 3% of the population. There are only three Level 7 people who have government contracts. These three are Kaoru, Aoi, and Shiho, ten-year old girls, who work for B.A.B.E.L. With the guidance of Kouichi Minamoto , a twenty-year old genius, they catch criminals and evil ESPers. However even with all that, Minamoto still has to deal with their unruly and troublesome behavior.

REMEMBER! If you find a series with a bunch of chapters you haven't seen posted in here before, check to see if there's not a thread already!

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Zorak posted:

Nice work, Spazmaster X.

Oh ho, praise from Caesar is praise indeed.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I come bearing some late Easter candy. A new Rosario+Vampire! Unfortunately it's not by the same group that normally does it, so there's a few QC issues. Still plenty readable though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

DrSunshine posted:

Also the art is pretttttyyy bad. I'm counting the weeks till this gets canceled. How did it even get serialized in the first place??

This is the same publication that cancelled Mx0 and other perfectly good titles.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Fuego Fish posted:

I defy anyone to make sense of the word salad that is page three.

MangaPanda's translations are always godawful.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Mangafox has the better translation for this month's Rosario+Vampire

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
R+V Superfluous End-of-Volume Theater 12

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

arisu posted:

Rosario + Vampire has gotten pretty awesome. I didn't even like the anime and didn't make it past episode 2, but I started reading the manga when I got bored and holy crap it changed a lot.

The anime is fanservice garbage.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I've updated the OP a little, and added Witch Craft Works and Nanatsu no Taizai.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

DrSunshine posted:

Seven Deadly Sins 31

While it's indeed cool to have Elizabeth finally get to show off some fighting, I'm wondering why she didn't do anything earlier when she knew awesome super kung-fu from the beginning?

Because It's not her. It's the hat controlling her.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Silento posted:

New chapter of Rosario+Vampire: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Rosario-Vampire-II/Rosario-Vampire-Season-II-064----Sorry?id=166337

The ending of this chapter is pretty cliche, but whatever.

I don't think Gyokuro ever said she was the leader of Fairy Tale, so it's no surprise that the (probably) actual leader is just showing up now. There's no way she could've gotten away with what she was doing unless he was allowing it. I kinda hope they actually get a "break" soon though, cause I always liked the interlude chapters with school shenanigans and training.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

RatHat posted:

I certainly didn't expect that. Did they fuse into the same body somehow? Maybe related to her sacred treasure?

Somehow Elizabeth is in the necklace and Diane has possessed her body, I think.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Rosario+Vampire continues being awesome.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Rosario+Vampire II

:stonk:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
New Gamble Fish :patriot:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Irritated Goat posted:

What do you guys use to keep up with what manga you're reading and where? I need to get back into reading again but keeping up is a pain

Check Kissmanga and Mangafox a couple times a day to see if anything I read has popped up or anything new with an attention-grabbing cover thumbnail has shown up. It's much easier nowadays since I only read probably 15 titles.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Can Of Worms posted:

This, except I only check Kissmanga. I don't usually keep track of where I am; if it was interesting enough to keep reading I'll just find a familiar point in the story and go from there.

I only check mangafox because they find new updates faster sometimes. Actually being able to read them there is a whole other story thanks to the fact that they update any licensed series even though they won't actually let you see them.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sonata Mused posted:

It actually takes place in the world of Mx0.

Don't toy with my heart, bro.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New Rosario+Vampire

Things keeps getting more and more real :suspense:

Why do new chapters only come out once a month? :smith:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

asur posted:

It's in Jump SQ which is a monthly magazine.

I was speaking rhetorically.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

ConanThe3rd posted:

New Iris Zero. Jesus that took far too long.

I'd actually completely forgotten that existed.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Rosario+Vampire continues to own.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Also I'm confused by the family relationships here, the woman living with Shouya is his sister or his mom? Where the hell was that little brazilian-japanese kid before?

His older sister.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
:sbahj:

(click me^^)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Yeah he definitely needs something for his goofy regular face.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
New Gamble Fish, but with a twist!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I'm going to update the series list in the OP sometime in the next couple days, so if you think something should be included there then let me know.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
They already set up a future conflict possibility, so who knows. Maybe Rosario+Vampire III next year.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Rosario To Vampire Epilogue

Pretty much a return to the series comedic roots, pretty entertaining and I really enjoyed Moka's father true personality. Weird way to resolve the harem though Tsukune's in love with Moka's mother and Moka is kind of turning into her plus Moka's father sort of approves the harem. That's gonna be an awkward family reunion :v:

So what are the odds we'll see Rosario+Vampire III before a year's time? Has the author come out with any plans?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
So I dunno if people have been keeping up with the insanity of Kurogane no Linebarrel but uhhhhhhhhhhhh

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

jwang posted:

shounen series that actually have decent romance without the harem shenanigans?

Does not compute.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Butt Ghost posted:

To be fair, America is also the greatest country in the world. And the best at everything.

We're the shounen protagonists of the world.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Also as a pureblood Japanese male he is incapable of pursuing a relationship with a 3D woman.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Fabricated posted:

Gamble Fish somehow got even more ridiculous than it already was.

The healing powers of Obama.

President King Omaha :eng101:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Erg posted:

He really doesn't have a special ability. I think it's pretty much all using deductive reasoning to solve problems

Which is amazing to all these people that have had some form of cheat code their whole lives.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sonata Mused posted:

I want more from the Pretty Face/Mx0 author.

Mx0 was too good for this stupid earth.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Pierson posted:

Anime Girl Hitler and Anime Fat Hitler both got what was coming them imho.

And Mine kept loving a dragon and they lived happily ever after.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
There's this series called To-LOVE-ru I hear is modestly popular.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
It's the same bullshit they've pulled before. Pop ups in the next page buttons for new releases, pop ups when you go to the next page in a chapter. Basically anything you might click has an ad waiting to appear and make loud noises. Use ublock origin on PC, mobile is basically SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've heard a friend recommend Twin Star Exorcist. Maybe that's what you're looking for?

I want to say there's fanservice in that, not a lot though. I read it from the start several months ago so I may be remembering wrong.