Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, and this time they did it knowingly and willfully, no excuses.

I think at that point you just do a chargeback and tell them to go gently caress themselves, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I only stuck in for a dollar, because I learned my lesson after last time, but others no doubt already sank in hundreds

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

That's weird, I'm in Australia too and no matter what I try adding to the pledge calculator the listed shipping doesn't go over $20.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Finland, Europe here and shipping goes up in increments of $33,34. When I say goes up, I mean goes up by that much when adding 5 more core sets to the pledge.

They do have to charge VAT this year, which increases linearly by how much you spend. Do aussies have to deal with that?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Reaper posted an update in the comments - apparently the weird AU prices are dug to a bug in the system which can happen when their back end system fails to connect to their AU postage provider. They say to try again after a few hours and it should be resolved, and not to lock in your pledge when it's showing wonky shipping values.

quote:

Everyone worried about shipping - From time to time, AU Post takes their site down for maintenance. When they do this, our site cannot connect to their servers to retrieve rates, and thus defaults to US rates.
This fixes itself as soon as AU post comes back up.
Do not panic. This is certainly not ideal, but it is also not charging any of you actual money at these rates. Just hang on for a few hours and it's be fine.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I broke out my bones 3 guys to play with my 2.5 year old daughter, and the Savage Avatars seemed to be the perfect size for her to play with. It got me thinking I should check if they have any older bones in that scale, between tiny humans and giant/trolls that need to be glued together. I looked at the website, but all the store pics are missing Sir Garrick, does anyone have any suggestions for older bones that are elemental/troll sized that don't require gluing?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2017 Core Set ($100)
x1100.00
Dreadmere Expansion ($50)
x150.00
Wraiths ($10)
x110.00
Frost Giant Raiders ($15)
x115.00
Rulers of Hell ($15)
x115.00

I ordered less than previous years, are they finally running out of things I want over at reaper or was this a less exciting KS than before?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like the core set was better this time, the addons generally worse and the expansions much worse. It really did feel like they ran out of stuff.

I'm ordering a little more than last time I think since I'm kicking myself for not ordering the terrain.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I didn't intend on getting the core, but after I priced out all the individual core pieces that I wanted it was just short of the core price anyways. Bones 4 core is way better than bones 3 core.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cool, they unlocked the deathbarge part 3, featuring Charon and some wayward souls. I kind of expected they would, but was beginning to doubt since they hadn't said anything about it since the end of the campaign.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What do people use the Chronoscope stuff for? I'm always tempted to get some modern/scifi stuff but I really don't know that I'd get a ton of use out of them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

food court bailiff posted:

What do people use the Chronoscope stuff for? I'm always tempted to get some modern/scifi stuff but I really don't know that I'd get a ton of use out of them.

I use mine for occupying a box in the bottom of my bookcase :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I imagine that you would get some decent use out of it for games like Scrappers, This is Not a Test, etc.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Shadowrun would probably work for some of them as well. Apocalypse World too, not that that's especially minis-heavy.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

The robot or mechy stuff I've used as magic robots/warforged for D&D characters, and I'm in the process of painting some of the bones aliens and soldiers as a themed set of Xcom minis for a DM friend this christmas.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

I used some for a 1930's pulp RPG a few years back, despite the fact that the game didn't require miniatures. If you're including Weird Science in your game, several minis from the product line work really well for that. There are a few from the newer Deadlands Noir line that are just modern enough to work for early 20th Century games, and some of those recently came out in Bonesium.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
I have used them for Shadowrun, Synnibarr, Starships and Spacemen, and the best of all, Gamma World.

But mostly I use them for skirmish wargames. They have been in several Necromunda campaigns.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JackMann posted:

Slimnoid: 2.1 million
Doctor Borris: 2.2 million
Gareth Gobulcoque: 2.3 million
Signal: 2.4
JackMann: 2.5 million
Bachtere: 2.6
Bad Munki: 2.7 million
Leperflesh: 2.8

Took a while to find the post, but I had to because Bachtere came through, with a vengeance. I honestly feel a little guilty about this!

First off, not just one painted mini, but TWO, a dwarf and an orc that I can only assume are BFFs who finish each others' sentences:

But wait there's more! A whole dang box of more:

What's in the box? I'll show you.

A whole pile of various minis! And even more paints. What the heck, I hope this was from the junk drawer or something because I don't think picking a random number really merits all this!

Pretty dang awesome.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Mines still better because I wasn't as late. :colbert:

(Nah, that's super awesome. Classy move)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

poo poo. I've had a painted miniature that I wanted to send sitting on a table for like... a year, and it's only waiting for me to remember to take it outside and hit it with matte finish. Pretty sure I even got Munki's address a while back.

Well anyway that's a sweet haul!

Also by the way, trad games secret santa is up, it's a good opportunity to get Bones and/or buy other people Bones:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

Pretty sure I even got Munki's address a while back.

In case anyone DOES decide to send something, don't use that old address, I moved about a year ago!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Oh. Um. Well, on a completely unrelated note, I need to send a PM.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Just realized that I never posted this Goremaw.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
First, that's an awesome Goremaw.

Second, Reaper's apparently had some decent success with the anniversary minis, so they're doing something kind of similar.

They're reviving the old Dungeon Dwellers line of minis, but with new sculpts. There'll be a new sculpt each month, and you can get that month's mini free with any order of at least $40 from their webstore, or just buy it.

Unlike the anniversary minis, these ones will be available after the month is over.

Here's the first one.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OK, so this is a little bit of an obscure question. I'm painting the male kitsune from the kickstarter before last (mine is Bones, but it's this sculpt):

What's he holding in his left hand? Best guess of mine is an Asian-style teacup, but that would seem more at home in a 'relaxing at the inn' sort of sculpt, which this isn't.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It doesn't look well formed enough to be a cup. My guess would be an ingot of gold or something similar? Maybe jade?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I added some green stuff and made it so he's holding a flame. I also modded him into a lizard person.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Maybe a partially eaten apple?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ashcans posted:

It doesn't look well formed enough to be a cup. My guess would be an ingot of gold or something similar? Maybe jade?

Well, a very simple cup obviously, like one of these:

but yeah, the sculpting/casting (especially on the bones version) doesn't really stick the landing as far as making it clear, if that's indeed what it's meant to be.

I agree that a lump-like piece of treasure is probably the way to go.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I also modded him into a lizard person.

Appropriately enough, I've modded one of Reaper's lizardman folks into a dog person.

e: I think I'll try painting it in a sort of alabaster shade, that way it can be either a lump of fine mineral or a teacup depending on context.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

The proper way to drink sake is out of cups like those. (I hate sake but own a sake set.)

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Got my first bones, letting my kids pick one each to paint. One got the bone devil whose legs don’t seem to support its weight. Any advice on stabilizing the figure so it stays standing?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m having priming woes. I’ve tried Rustoleum Primer and Paint + primer. Both sort of ended up the same, slightly tacky and glossy. Was expecting the paint + primer to be better. VMC colours go on Ok but Tamiya run really bad.

Would do a coat of Testors dullcoat over them help? I figured that would stop the tacky feel and make them matte.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You're painting on bones, I presume? Don't prime, just base coat. Most anything that has curing agents in it (most rattle can stuff) is going to make the plastic a little melty and it'll never fully cure. I have a bones orc I tried that with two years ago and it's still tacky, and I've tried to cover it up with other substances, it just seems to be a lost cause. Now I just airbrush regular old paint on for a base coat, or brush it on if needed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Double-post, because this thread popping up reminded me: I've been a bad goon! JackMann sent me stuff! It actually showed up a long time ago and I was going to post pics but then totally forgot. This is from that silly bet a bunch of us made a kickstarter or two ago.

A fancy orc, and my first painted Sir Forscale:

Also, a bunch of metal minis! Bones are great, but metal is still king, I love the heft of metal over plastic. I think maybe the time span here made a couple of you feel guilty so you added interest, but now that makes ME feel guilty. So I guess I'll have to get off my rear end and paint them. :haw:

Thanks, JackMann!

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
And if you do want to spray prime, the Army Painter spray paints lack the ingredient that normal primers have that result in the tackiness on Bones.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

I’m having priming woes. I’ve tried Rustoleum Primer and Paint + primer. Both sort of ended up the same, slightly tacky and glossy. Was expecting the paint + primer to be better. VMC colours go on Ok but Tamiya run really bad.

Would do a coat of Testors dullcoat over them help? I figured that would stop the tacky feel and make them matte.

There are primers that don't contain those curing agents/solvents, like the Army Painter primers, but for the most part rattlecan primers are a bad idea.

Fortunately, as Bad Munki said, you don't actually need to prime Bones. Just don't thin your first coat, and it will act as the primer for the rest of your paint. It ends up being about as thick as primer+thinned basecoat.

If you really want to prime (and some people just like the "feel" of painting over primer), then a brush-on primer works perfectly well on Bones.

Bad Munki posted:

Thanks, JackMann!

My pleasure! And sorry they were so late on my end.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So it’s best to soak in Simple Green and start again? I do like the feel of painting over primer but (the bones are very glossy without anything) but it sounds like I should start over.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

If you put an incompatible solvent on the bones then you have chemically altered the surface. Even if you can restabilize it there will probably be loss of detail.

I do prime with brush on primers - most recently I’m a fan of Vallejo brush on polyurethane primers.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, sadly odds are pretty good those particular Bones minis aren't salvageable. It's a pain in the rear end, but there's not much to be done about it. The good news is that they're a lot cheaper to replace than metal minis would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I haven't tried it yet, but shooting Vallejo polyurethane primer through an airbrush should eliminate the solvent interaction since there's no propellant.

Has anyone tried this yet?

• Locked thread