Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Those look a lot like the pots P3 uses.
If they aren't, they are very similar in design. The seal on them is drat near perfect - the only time you might have issues is if you get paint in the lid rim. Once it starts to dry there, the lid doesn't seat correctly. But it was an easy fix - just get your Xacto blade and pop the dry paint ring out and you're good.

I don't know what GW has against these pots though - they should just swallow their pride and return to them. I understand that branding purposes require you to have a distinctive design, but if your designs consistently fail to work properly, maybe it's time to return to the tried and true design that actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

berzerkmonkey posted:

If they aren't, they are very similar in design. The seal on them is drat near perfect - the only time you might have issues is if you get paint in the lid rim. Once it starts to dry there, the lid doesn't seat correctly. But it was an easy fix - just get your Xacto blade and pop the dry paint ring out and you're good.

I don't know what GW has against these pots though - they should just swallow their pride and return to them. I understand that branding purposes require you to have a distinctive design, but if your designs consistently fail to work properly, maybe it's time to return to the tried and true design that actually works.

It's almost as if GW has a vested interest in people needing to buy new paint every few months whether or not they use it all.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's almost as if GW has a vested interest in people needing to buy new paint every few months whether or not they use it all.
There's that too. I know GW is dickish, but intentionally designing paint jars that cause paint to dry out after a few months? That seems a little too dickish, even for them...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

berzerkmonkey posted:

There's that too. I know GW is dickish, but intentionally designing paint jars that cause paint to dry out after a few months? That seems a little too dickish, even for them...

It's less intentionally designing jars to dry out paint and more intentionally not switching to better designs when doing so would lose them money in the long run. I'm sure the initial design was just negligent, not malicious.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait, does GW no longer use the pots with the little flip up lid with the kinda little lip thing at the top that I am not describing well at all?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, does GW no longer use the pots with the little flip up lid with the kinda little lip thing at the top that I am not describing well at all?

Depends on which you mean. If you mean the black-lid sort of octagon pots with flat tops, those are long gone and were terrible. If you mean the squatter, rounder-topped white-lid ones, they are using a sort of Mark II of those now, since they renamed and redesigned the whole paint line.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Hell, yes. The other day, I needed an off-black and I opened a pot of Salamander Black from the Space Marine paint set - you know, this set:

From twenty-four loving years ago...

After a good shake, it was good as the day I purchased the set. Awesome. I really wish GW would return to those pots - paint lasts forever and there it that convenient lip in the lid for quick touchups. Every bottle since then has sucked rear end.

Yup that exactly. I bought all the paint sets in those boxes back then. And get this: I still have all the boxes.

...what. They're good for storing things in and I like the old artwork.
OK, so I'm a horrible packrat. Don't judge me!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

OK, so I'm a horrible packrat. Don't judge me!
Nah - they're actually well-made boxes. I've got all of the sets as well, except for that "Bargain Set" - what is that?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not paints. GW used to sell these kind of grab-bags (but boxes) of random minis. The box has a couple of windows so you can see what most of the miniatures are, but a couple of them are hidden. The whole box was pretty cheap, you were generally getting a reasonable price. It was a great deal if what you wanted was something to paint, rather than specific figures for a game. And presumably it was a way for GW to get rid of surplus figures that weren't selling.

GW stopped doing that I guess because they really want people to buy a game and then buy all the minis for that game.

e.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 16, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't know when that dates from, but it's worth noting that Citadel Miniatures functioned as its own company for a while before basically being subsumed into a GW trademark. So there was a period where they were definitely producing miniatures that were not really for any system, and certainly not for a GW game (I think they made some Conan and Judge Dredd minis?) I imagine that as they became more fully integrated into the GW machine that came to an end and stopped stuff like those boxes from being a part of the model.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, there was still a bit of that at the time I bought those boxes, but most of the minis that came in them (at least that I got) were for a GW game. If I recall correctly, some of them included a blood bowl troll, an eldar guardian, an ogre, a minotaur lord, a 40k squat, a dark elf with a crossbow, two or three random goblins, a couple of random orcs... I think there might have been like a lizard thing with wings that didn't belong to a specific game, but for the most part it was Warhammer stuff.

I still have my 1990 Citadel catalogs and they're 100% GW game figures, so by then they weren't making new figures for other games. But the stuff that came in the Bargain Boxes were all discontinued OOP models, at least if you believe what's printed on the back, so I'm sure there was some random non-GW stuff in there too.

edit: oh weird this is the Reaper thread. For some reason I thought we were in the general modeling thread. Sorry for the derail, guys, this is obviously not relevant to Reaper at all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

edit: oh weird this is the Reaper thread. For some reason I thought we were in the general modeling thread. Sorry for the derail, guys, this is obviously not relevant to Reaper at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e54m6XOpRgU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Those look a lot like the pots P3 uses.

They are. The first generation of Citadel paints were made by HMG (which make Coat d'arms, P3, and Wargames Foundry paints now) and used the P3/CdA flip top lids, but then they switched to the familiar hex pots.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I just got mine, 10 days shipping to NZ is pretty sweet! What's the story with figure cases - am I supposed to get foam with it? I haven't been paying much attention to the updates and so on.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Keep paints that have permanently separated or thickened up, if you have the space. They are excellent for adding texture to models. Damage on vehicles, for example, stipple on some of the thickened paint, then fill the middle in with black or something and leave the edges showing. The texture really adds to the effect. And it's good for adding a bit of individuality to walls, flat roads etc.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

xiw posted:

I just got mine, 10 days shipping to NZ is pretty sweet! What's the story with figure cases - am I supposed to get foam with it? I haven't been paying much attention to the updates and so on.
I sure hope so - I ordered mine under the assumption that I was going to get a case with foam...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yes, the cases come with 6 foam trays.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there an email when your stuff ships?

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Is there an email when your stuff ships?

I got an e-mail from webmaster@reapermini.com, with a subject of "Bones Kickstarter on its way", an order listing, and a tracking number inside when they were shipping.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cool, I'll watch for that email then. Thanks for the information.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes, the cases come with 6 foam trays.

6? Mine came with 2, which is all that would possibly fit.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

AlternateAccount posted:

6? Mine came with 2, which is all that would possibly fit.

Im just going by what the kickstarter site said. 6 half-width trays. Maybe that changed.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

My stuff is on a truck to me right now. I want it now, drat it! :supaburn:

Edit: And then they showed up!

I took a quick look at the case and there are 3 trays that can be split in half, for a total of 6 half trays. If you're only seeing two, check the top half of the case. My third tray didn't want to come out of there at first.

CaptainPete fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 17, 2013

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

CaptainPete posted:

My stuff is on a truck to me right now. I want it now, drat it! :supaburn:

Edit: And then they showed up!

I took a quick look at the case and there are 3 trays that can be split in half, for a total of 6 half trays. If you're only seeing two, check the top half of the case. My third tray didn't want to come out of there at first.

Interesting! I never would have thought to check the top of the case, I also thought there were only 2 full trays. Thanks for the tip!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I just exchanged contracts on my new flat :D

Now my reaper box is going to be delivered to work whilst I'm taking two weeks off to move D:

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Taran posted:

Interesting! I never would have thought to check the top of the case, I also thought there were only 2 full trays. Thanks for the tip!

No problem. I looked at the top and was like "Oh, that's where my third tray is!"

I don't know about anyone else, but around 50% of my Bones are bent in some way or another. Most are minor things like swords, but I have a few that just lay flat. I'll try the hot water/cold water trick tomorrow and let folks know how it works.

And, I'm already short a mini. I ordered two extra NOVA sets and one of them came with an empty bag. It looks like the bottom wasn't sealed right so the mini popped out somewhere.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's not going to be surprising if you're missing minis, since a 1% error rate is still thousands of orders

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm just hoping for an order in my favor. Because this isn't already a sick enough deal yet. :pervert:

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's not going to be surprising if you're missing minis, since a 1% error rate is still thousands of orders

Oh, I'm not upset and I was prepared for errors. It was more of Murphy's Law feeling than anything else.

Bad Munki posted:

I'm just hoping for an order in my favor. Because this isn't already a sick enough deal yet. :pervert:

I bet plenty of people are going to rip them off by reporting problems that don't exist. I've done that with GW, but they kind of deserve it. And, I felt guilty.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I imagine that'll happen. If I got my order and it had a big error, honestly, I'd report it. Like, a dragon showed up that I didn't ask for, I'd be fair. I'm pretty sure they'd just say, "Lucky you!" but I'd feel better. If it were a small error, though, like a double-kobold bag or something? It'll cost them more to answer the phone than to just accept the extra grunt. :)

Similarly, if I'm missing one or two little dudes, I won't care. If I'm missing any of the extras I asked for, of course, that's different.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I imagine that'll happen. If I got my order and it had a big error, honestly, I'd report it. Like, a dragon showed up that I didn't ask for, I'd be fair. I'm pretty sure they'd just say, "Lucky you!" but I'd feel better. If it were a small error, though, like a double-kobold bag or something? It'll cost them more to answer the phone than to just accept the extra grunt. :)

Similarly, if I'm missing one or two little dudes, I won't care. If I'm missing any of the extras I asked for, of course, that's different.

There are certainly models in the base Vampire that I would ocmplain if I was missing. The big cybergorilla or a storm giant. But yeah, novamarine #4 or fred the chimneysweep will probably not make me pick up the phone when I know they will be swamped.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh man, NOVA marine #4 is the poo poo, man, if you don't get #4, you might as well not have ordered the kit!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

JoshTheStampede posted:

There are certainly models in the base Vampire that I would ocmplain if I was missing. The big cybergorilla or a storm giant. But yeah, novamarine #4 or fred the chimneysweep will probably not make me pick up the phone when I know they will be swamped.

Speaking of the gorilla, I painted up the lead version recently for a mini exchange.

Hat was my work. The drill comes with the metal version, but the Bones will have the gun option integral. However, you can order the sprue with the hand options separately from Reaper for $2.27. It'd be a pretty easy conversion if you don't want the gun. No hand available for that arm, though.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Welp, no foam trays in my box, time to give them an email.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

CaptainPete posted:

I bet plenty of people are going to rip them off by reporting problems that don't exist. I've done that with GW, but they kind of deserve it. And, I felt guilty.
:argh:And you broke it for the rest of us who had a legitimate complaint and could look forward to an entire new box or blister.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

CaptainPete posted:

If you're only seeing two, check the top half of the case. My third tray didn't want to come out of there at first.

Derp, thanks!

CaptainPete posted:

I'll try the hot water/cold water trick tomorrow and let folks know how it works.

Can you be more specific? I have a few jacked up ones, too.

Bad Munki posted:

The paperwork in the box specifically says that if you got extra poo poo to just take it and enjoy it, they don't need to know.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

AlternateAccount posted:

The paperwork in the box specifically says that if you got extra poo poo to just take it and enjoy it, they don't need to know.

Oh, that's cool. Now all I need is my box! :v:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

AlternateAccount posted:

If your Bones are off-position, you can fix 'em pretty easily. Hold them in boiling water (with tongs, unless you really want to be a badass), then pull them out, quickly reposition them, and then dunk them in ice water. Works quite well.

If you're doing a bunch at a time, you might make a "hammock" with a dish cloth to hold the minis in the water, so they don't get burned by the bottom of the pot.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Seems like it's the same as any mini that's plastic/finecast/whatever. Just boil a pot of water, dunk the screwey part into it for a couple of seconds, pinch the part between your fingers and sort of stroke it into its proper position. Do this a couple times until it looks right then immediately stick it in an ice bath and it should set like that. Bones are even more malleable than something like a really thin finecast sword or anything similar though, so I wonder if gravity might tend to drag them back to a droopy position over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Seems like it's the same as any mini that's plastic/finecast/whatever. Just boil a pot of water, dunk the screwey part into it for a couple of seconds, pinch the part between your fingers and sort of stroke it into its proper position. Do this a couple times until it looks right then immediately stick it in an ice bath and it should set like that. Bones are even more malleable than something like a really thin finecast sword or anything similar though, so I wonder if gravity might tend to drag them back to a droopy position over time.

Not so long as you set 'em with ice water. The only time they tend to stick out of position is when they're kept bent for a long period of time. Gravity shouldn't have an effect.

• Locked thread