Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Those are actually "giant rats". There are stands of rat swarms also, but the rats shown are about half the size of a human.

I could imagine using a pile of them as minions in a D&D encounter with some kind of rat-fiend or rat monster or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

Who am I supposed to be emailing about these?

Leperflesh posted:

I sent email to webmaster@reapermini.com and got a response from their customer support (a guy named Kit). I included my original shipping notice for reference.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can boil and quench models to improve stiffness, much like the blacksmith who raises the blade to a glowing red heat before quenching it in the new-driven snow.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

...That tears it. When I mass-boil my minis, I'm listening to Basil Poledouris' Conan soundtracks.

Anyone else notice any unsightly residue on their models? A couple of mine had some sort of crusty, light sepia stains on them when they first arrived. I didn't bother washing them at the time, thinking I'd do that prior to painting; but a few weeks later the stains have darkened to the point that they look like this:

Should I be concerned, like contact-Reaper-support concerned, or just attack these guys with Simple Green and a toothbrush?

It might be mold release, in which case it should wash off. Or the plastic might somehow be scorched, in which case I'd expect to see melting or something. Or maybe they got dropped on the factory floor and it's just generic schmutz.

I'd give them a wash & scrub with soap and warm water and if that don't fix it, contact Reaper.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was at my FLGS today and they had the figures from one complete box set for sale in the cabinet: from a dollar each for the littlest guys to I think it was seven for the biggest. They also had a kaladrax and a handful of nethyrmauls, plus a couple cthulhus and a couple dragons, all marked at full retail.

I immediately thought of you guys who are still waiting, and felt sad. I feel Reaper has really hosed this up now after doing so well, and I feel kind of guilty when I look at my own pile of white plastic.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Because their first kickstarter made them literally millions of dollars in sales? If I had a product launch that made $3.5M in sales in 30 days you bet your rear end I'd follow up.

e. More specifically, I assume they can use the funding to convert more of their model range to Bones. They still have hundreds of models that are only in metal. They could convert a bunch, fund some new sculpts, and advertise their products via Kickstarter again/some more.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 20, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's nothing wrong with priming Bones. You can just paint them?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh okay, yeah, I didn't realize you were having the nondrying primer problem. You can strip Bones with simple green.

You'll want to bookmark these threads on the Reaper forums (they cross-link each other so you can just bookmark one if you want):

Bones - Frequently Asked Questions

Bones - Preparation (mould line removal, glue, putty, etc.)

Bones - The First Coat is the Difference

The latter two have the meat on them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It looks like a lot of folks got the extra NOVA marines, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Good proxies for those terrible Space Hulk terminators! :haw:

The space hulk terminator models are amazing?

Some of the best models I've ever owned. Absolutely incredible levels of detail for plastic, and "snap together" is no BS, you really don't have to glue them at all if you don't feel like it. The fit is perfect.

I mean, if you need to proxy some termies, yeah, the NOVA guys are perfect. But the space hulk guys are the opposite of terrible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Oh okay, yeah, I didn't realize you were having the nondrying primer problem. You can strip Bones with simple green.

You'll want to bookmark these threads on the Reaper forums (they cross-link each other so you can just bookmark one if you want):

Bones - Frequently Asked Questions

Bones - Preparation (mould line removal, glue, putty, etc.)

Bones - The First Coat is the Difference

The latter two have the meat on them.

Read this stuff. It tells you what works and what doesn't for painting Bones.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Boil & quench to harden Bones.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Imazul posted:

I regret not making mine purple but I only have one shade of purple(for now) :(

Red + Blue = Purple!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I got an email today from Reaper, regarding the one faulty model I received (it was missing a weapon arm). They've credited me with a $7 gift certificate for their store, which is "double the retail price" of the model.

quote:

We are sorry for the Bones packaging error. To compensate you, here's an e-gift certificate for double the retail price of your missing or damaged miniatures ($7 USD). This gift certificate will never expire & can be attached to your online Reaper account for future purchases. You may use it to obtain those specific figures or apply it towards any item we sell in our online store.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, and we appreciate your business!

So, that's shifting the hassle of fixing the error to me, but the $7 is enough to cover the cost of the figure ($2.79) plus shipping ($2.58) plus handling ($1), with sixty three cents left over, so I guess that works.

e. It's also worth noting that everything from the Bones kickstarter seems to be for sale on their site now, including a boxed vampire set option for $324.99. And yes, Mr. Bones is available for $1.99, I know there was someone in this thread who didn't get one.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 16, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I strongly suspect they are doing the very smart thing of sending credits when the miniatures would cost way less than the shipping, and sending the minis when it's cost-effective to ship instead of giving a larger store credit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I'm getting a head and a sword, I don't know how that would cost more than shipping.

Unless, of course, the only way for me to replace those would be to get the whole mini, in which case they'd have to credit me a couple giants, which would add up a bit higher.

Yeah, the online store isn't selling Bones bitz so that might be it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

19 hours!

that's... 7 Am pacific, if I'm not mistaken. I should be up at 7:45 tomorrow morning (godawful 8 AM tuesday meeting, ugh) so I'm hoping to get in on some kind of early-bird deal. I hope they're not gone in the first hour. :ohdear:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

What, the hundreds of minis were a turn-off?

Anyway, 7 AM PST is 2 PM in the UK so that gives me something to look forward to.

7 AM PDT, just to be pedantic but possibly be important. I'm always loving up time zones.

But just click here and add that many hours to whatever is showing on your watch and you're good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Agh god OK I'm awake I'm in I missed the first tier but I got tier 2 and I have no idea even what I just bought but OK bones bones bones

e. OK I like the vampire squid and I actually can use the more skeletons and the mousy guys are adorable. I will have to think about the paints, since I have a complete Minitaire set.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 1, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Baby Sathanas posted:

I'm going to have to wait a week before diving in, which is a little annoying, I'm not too fussed since I waited so long for my original Bones box to arrive and I wasn't too pissed off by it.

Nothing is really showing up as OMG I WANT THAT except the Mouslings yet, but bones bones bones

Pledge now, you won't be charged until the 25th.

Also, click the Updates link to see more stuff that's been added but isn't on the main KS page yet.

Haha my 8 Am meeting was canceled I didn't even have to get up. So now I'm up just for this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Color coding!

"To make it easier for you to track, purple images will be added to your Core Set, and orange ones will be available as additional rewards simply by increasing your pledge."

Smart.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Baby Sathanas posted:

I know it's no metric at all and is completely inaccurate and most of these are early adopters getting in at level 1, but I think the kicktraq prediction is hilarious. Imagine if it did get there.

$7.8M? I'm going to go out on a limb and predict right now that we break $5M.

e. Aaaand we just got some skaven rat men and their giant rat monster for $10

e2. $3500 while I edited this post

These are good figures

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 1, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Looks like they've already added wave 3.

Wave 3 was there when I pledged for 2 about 30 minutes ago. Weirdly some people have already pledged it.

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's amazing - $300K took them almost half of their KS run for the first Bones. They made that in under an hour this time.

EDIT: Why is that guy's armor made from castles?

He is castle armor man. His homearmor is his castle. Don't question his fortifications man.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Let me know if posting these is annoying or redundant.

Beastmans. These are good goat dudes for a warhammer beastman player to use as like unit champions or whatnot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm looking through the website and noticing some familiar models. Is Reaper a rebranded Ral Partha or did they buy the rights to the models or something?

Reaper has a number of ex-Ral Partha sculptors on staff, and I suspect they also bought some of Ral Partha's molds when they went busto. So yeah, they're kind of a spiritual successor, although there are other companies who also have Ral Partha molds.

Julie Guthrie in particular was sculpting for Ral Partha as far back as 1978, and is a productive sculptor for Reaper, including some of their new Bones figures.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Pigdemon is cool but I don't think I'll throw in $12 for these.

Sefer posted:

Which is probably why she isn't in this one; they must have come to regret letting people trade her in for $25 of good stuff.

My bet is she's a costs-money add-on this time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

That's how I saw it at first, but pig-demon does have little wings. Maybe a demonic pig had consensual, loving intercourse with a pigeon. I wouldn't want to imagine anything else.

People are always demonizing the pigs. For all we know, it was a demonic pigeon having consensual, loving intercourse with a regular pig. Check your cis privilege at the door.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

More heroes added to core. These guys are fine but nothing pops out at me as being amazing.
"The Holy Vindicator, Pathfinder Eando Kline, Balazar the Summoner, Lini the Druid, Arael, the Cleric, and Alain the Cavalier"

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have so many minis from the first Bones KS, I don't know about getting the Core Set this time around. The Add-ons only option is nice as so far I really like the mouslings and the kraken. I'm just worried that once the 500 "options only" tier is filled they won't have any more.

Pledge for both, remove the one you don't want at the end of the KS?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 1, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

/\/\/\They're going to break half a mil in the next 30 minutes, so yes probably. Keep in mind the west coast is just now getting to work and settling in for some nice goofing off online before doing anything, so I think the next hour or two will be big, and then it will start to level off a lot.

Bad Munki posted:

Man, I want the kraken so bad but I don't think I'd ever use it, even if I did get around to painting it.

...use? What do you mean, use. Are you saying there's a way to use Bones, besides sorting them into little category piles on my desk, and then putting them back into their bin?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

How do you pledge for more than one level?

I dunno. I'd probably make an account for my wife and do it that way or something? Do you own two credit cards? I'm sure the system doesn't want you to do that, but it can be done anyway. Get your mom to pledge a dollar. Tell her it's for charity.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Bones is not keeping up on his little path. Dammit Monkey, you were right, they are really slacking on the Mr. Bones infographics this morning!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ahahaha Oh my god, a cube!

I'm going to buy a sloppy cube of transluscent Bonsium.

Seriously though, why would you pay for a sculpted model of gloppy snot as opposed to just making one out of play-doh or whatever? (I'm referring to the two other slimes there.)

e. OK if they put like little suspended skulls and whatnot inside the cube, that's something I'd pay for I suppose.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Ahahaha!

Awesome.

OK yes that is cool then, if it's hollow I can put things in it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Paolomania posted:

With the raging success of the Bones line, how long do you think it will be before the other big mini manufacturers throw their hat in the budget-conscious-plastic-minis ring?

I dunno. I think a lot of the other big makers have already invested in injection-mold plastic manufacturing lines, and these investments are huge; it's incredibly expensive up-front to set up for that. That'd make it very difficult for, say, Privateer Press to go down that path. GW already has finecast on top of plastic, and they avoid the bargain segment of the market like the plague.

Some of the smaller outfits might consider it: Wyrd Miniatures, say, or Corvus Belli. But they have tabletop games where they update their army factions every few years, and that means the entire cost of moldmaking has to be recouped. Moreover, they have fewer total figures to convert. For Reaper, they can expect to sell a given Bones model for the next 10+ years, fairly steadily, since they're mostly supplying figures for RPG players and everyone needs some skeletons or a dude with a sword now and again. And Reaper's back catalog contains literally thousands of figures, so as they convert them to Bones (and update sculpts here and there), they're making investments that they can reasonably expect to pay off for decades.

They're also already big enough and well established enough to get people to pledge the multi-millions of dollars it's costing to in-house the production. I suppose a smaller maker could just go the Chinese outsourced route and maybe make it work with smaller production runs.

It'll be interesting to see how the industry reacts over the next couple of years, though. I think if nobody else steps up, they're basically giving the market segment (very cheap blister packs of plastic character and monster figures) away to Reaper.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah in Bones I, you could double-up on a lot of the already-added-to-vampire stretch goals if you wanted. I wouldn't be shocked to see that happen again. On the other hand, they might be trying to simplify the packing-and-shipping stage for themselves, and avoiding having to crack open any Core Sets to add more stuff might be one way of doing that; they have their boxed Core Sets, and then they have their Add On sets, and they're totally separate.

So I could see it going either way. But keep in mind, you can always just wait a year (like we all are) and just buy the figure off the shelf at your FLGS.

More demons,
and

A case add on, which was part of Bones I and they're really just simple plastic cases with foam, nothing to write home about. And I'm sure they were $25 last time. At $30 I'd say go check out what you can get from KR Multicase instead; a little more expensive, a lot nicer.

e. I like the bug demon.

e2. Wave 4 is added, 2000 more pledges for Nov. 2014.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 1, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK that's weird, the "everything that's in Core Set" graphic has disappeared from the main page.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, the last time was $25, I used Sophie to get mine.

quote:

Drake-avatar-2.small
Brandon Reed 1 minute ago

Do you guys read before you post? It clearly says "with 4 foam trays and larger cavities."

Apparently it's bigger.

e. They're going to break the $500k mark within the third hour of this KS. The momentum is crazy right now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Water elementals and some crystal thingies.

Also the main graphics are back up on the main page.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It would be nice to have some sense of scale on that set. Just how big is the splashy water guy gonna be?

The crystals are totally throw-away, you can carve crystals out of foam or balsa in like two minutes, but I kinda dig the watery thing coming out of a bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just passed 5000 backers, by the way. Bones I had 17,744 backers.

e.

quote:

We’re excited to announce that in conjunction with Studio 2 Publishing, this Kickstarter project is enabling us to launch Savage Worlds™ Bones! Studio 2 Publishing produces the Savage Worlds game system, a rules set designed to be fast, fun, and flexible. With an endless array of possible settings, including the infamous Deadlands™, there’s no limit to what these models can do!

Zombie cowboys! Giant prarie tick! Horrible underground monster, a la Tremors! I love them.

That guy on the bottom left is officially The Saint of Killers. I decided. :colbert:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 1, 2013

• Locked thread