Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
The method they described for making the molds involved laser-scanning the original, and then using that to make the mold. I would think it would be possible to enlarge/reduce to get the desired size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
At Reapercon, they confirmed that they do plan to do another Kickstarter, though details (like exactly what direction they want to take the bones line next) are still being determined.

They've confirmed that there will be pretty good deals, though not quite as awesome as the last one. They've admitted that they probably loaded it a bit too much to be healthy.

That said, if it's even half as much per dollar as the Vampire level, it will be worthwile.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Adam Kensai posted:

Do we yet know when the KickStarter models are going to hit retail stores? Or will they be spreading them out throughout the year?

They plan to release them as soon as they've shipped out all of the Kickstarter rewards.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I am continually amazed at the number of people who think they can make Reaper go faster by complaining on the internet, both on the Reaper boards and on the Kickstarter.

"But they should work harder! They're losing potential sales by not finishing up shipping and getting the new Bones into retail!"

No poo poo, sherlock. They know this. The head of the company is an accountant. That should tell you they're probably going as fast as they can.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Impatient I don't mind. It's this weird mindset that Reaper is somehow screwing them over that I don't understand.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Got my first Vampire box, sent to me by someone who picked it up at ReaperCon. I went through it. Two minis missing, one miscast. Not too bad. I'll wait until I get the rest of my order before I send off to Reaper, so they don't have to do multiple shipments (and because I may find the missing minis as dupes in the other boxes).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I used the spreadsheet in this thread, with the GregR site to find the models. I just put an X in the far right column for everything I'd received, MC for miscasts, then looked for where there were no Xes when I was done.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, update from Reaper. The good news is that they're ahead of schedule on shipping, having gone through their boxes much faster than anticipated.

The bad news is that the next shipment from China hasn't arrived yet, and they'll need to wait for that one before they start shipping again. Also, their paperwork for Canadian customs is still in limbo. But these will hopefully be fixed soon.

EDIT: Bryan has confirmed that the shipment from China is actually in customs at the moment. So they just need it to be released and to arrive in Texas.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The one issue I feel they could have improved is that they didn't discuss the staggered shipments until it became a problem. I feel like they could have laid out at least the bare bones of that plan earlier. Their actual plan for getting the miniatures to Denton and shipped was pretty well conceived, and the only delays have been ones outside of their control.

If things had gone as planned, the staggered shipments would have been invisible to backers. But one got delayed in customs, and the factory in China sent some things in a different order than Reaper expected, which means that a lot of orders are now waiting on the last shipment.

I'm personally harder hit than most, since I won't see the majority of my order until I get back from deployment in October. But I've known it's been a possibility for a while, and there's nothing Reaper could reasonably have been expected to do to prevent it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh, I understand why. Bryan's been pretty clear on that. I just think that it was a mistake, because it would have given people a better context for the delays.

But it's a pretty minor mistake, and I think they've otherwise been pretty exemplary.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Purgey posted:

When the weather gets hot I like to paint by an open window and enjoy natural light while I work. It makes me feel less like a troglodyte.

Reaper Bones question:

Does anyone have any of the Bones zombies yet? Would they scale enough to be used as filler in a 40k zombie mob? I was thinking of working them in to a crowd of various manufacturer zombies and I'm uncertain of their scale.

I'll try to get a scale picture tonight. I don't have any 40K zombies, but I have some blood angels I can toss 'em with.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Here you are, with both current zombies up.

EDIT: I should mention, the paintjob on the 40K mini isn't mine. An officer in my shop was getting rid of her army, so I snagged 'em, with an eye to painting and reselling later.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 16, 2013

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, you can't edit pledge levels once someone has something in them.

They were pretty clear even when the Kickstarter was running that March was their "If everything goes right" date. Since that was an estimate, and they were up front about the possible delays from the manufacturer and customs, I'm good on that date. They could have padded it, but I think they were trying to be as open and transparent as possible there. They expected to have it done by March, and so that's the date they gave. The only issue I have is, as mentioned, I think they could have mentioned the staggered shipments. I think a lot of people were blindsided when they mentioned the next shipment was delayed. But that's not a huge mistake, in my estimation.

I think it's important to remember that this is the first time Reaper's ever done anything on this scale. Yes, delays and missed estimates can harm a business's reputation (and can lead to legal repercussions), but things have to be considered in context. An estimate made for thirty new figures to three hundred people is going to be a lot different from 18,000 people getting two hundred and fifty new models in varying amounts.

I consider product-based Kickstarters to be pre-orders, despite what Kickstarter claims. That said, I also keep in mind the context. Is this something the company's done before? Has anyone done it? What resources will they have? Delays can be reasonable. Unfortunate, but reasonable. I expect next time Reaper will pad their estimates a bit more (they've pretty much said as much). But that's because next time, they'll have the experience from this one to fall back on.

Even regular pre-orders sometimes slip back. And again, how I react will depend on context. Did they gently caress up? Did they just get hit by circumstances beyond their control? Was this something for them to learn from, or should they have known from the start?

I consider the problems with this Kickstarter "learning moments." For the most part, I don't think they could have reasonably foreseen the delays. They'll know better next time.

On an unrelated note, goddamn but some of the posters on the Reaper boards are whiners. There's one person complaining that Reaper shouldn't argue with backers because Kickstarters are "panhandling," and they should be acting like the beggars they are. Another person is saying that Reaper clearly doesn't care about the backers, because they aren't shipping out the big rewards first, and haven't delivered everything yet.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't call it wildly optimistic, unless you mean "done in March." Because yeah, the logistics there weren't going to let it happen. But to start in March and finish by Mid-April? It wasn't that unlikely. If customs hadn't held up shipments, and the factory had been able to ship as originally planned, they would have made it. And they were clear very early on that customs holding up the shipment was a real possibility.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

Already people are getting the sealed Vampire pledges I shipped to them! Yayyyyy! :neckbeard:

And already people are opening their sealed Vampire pledges I shipped to them and complaining about missing figures! :negative:

Oh well, time to go ask for Reaper's replacement mini contact info.

questions@reapermini.com should work.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JerryLee posted:

^^^ Well, it was an addon, so I suppose this explains it. Thanks!

Let me clarify: I did not pledge for any figures, at all, at any level. I pledged $26 and got only the case ($1 plus the case as a $25 addon, if memory serves). It cleared their pledge management system and everything.

You should have received it by now. Give 'em an e-mail and see what they say.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
They've started sending out System Check e-mails to make sure everyone's addresses are still good, so we should be seeing things shipped again shortly.

My only regret is that it didn't ship before my deployment, so I won't be seeing them until October. But at least I know they'll be there.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
On the Reaper board, someone mentioned it was done via Amazon's mass mailing system, to avoid getting treated as spam. It apparently means the emails were sent more-or-less randomly, due to the way Amazon handles things.

Also, just got another system check on the e-mail I used to pick up another person's pledge. That makes four system check e-mails I've received.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Got my tracking info!

This is for the pledge I bought from someone else. It has 1x Vampire, 1x Deep Dwellers, 1x Spider Centaurs, and 1x Mind Your Manors.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JerryLee posted:

I got the shipping number for my case a couple days ago. Yay!

Sorry if I've missed this, but has there been any indication of when all the new Bones will be available at retail? I've seen a place say nebulously (and perhaps unreliably) that they'll be available in July, but other than that...

I'm one of the people who passed on Vampire + addons because I didn't want to deal with painting or otherwise addressing that sheer number of essentially random minis, but I'm pretty stoked to start picking up some of the Bones a la carte.

They'll be available at retail once all of the pledge rewards have shipped, then on Reaper's website about a week after that (so as not to screw over the retailers).

Reaper will be selling the vampire boxes for four hundred dollars, they've said.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Latest I've heard, they were up to people with five items in their order.

I've got something like 45 items in my main order, so that's gonna be towards the end.

The very last people to get theirs will be the retailers who got the Undertaker level, since theirs actually have to be blister-packed before shipping. There were only 274 people at that level, though, and not all of them were actual retailers, so it's a pretty small number of those who are left.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think they're counting each unit as a separate item, since the average line items to order comes to a little more than sixteen at this point.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JoshTheStampede posted:

What do you mean by each unit? That line by line is how my order has been recorded every time they checked it in the pledge manager or wherever.

Each individual vampire box, Kaladrax, etc. The tracker shows 154179 line items for 9626 orders. That works out to slightly greater than 16. Given we're still in single digits, I tend to think we're going to see them get into the thirties or forties by the end (on the assumption that lower numbers account for more orders than higher numbers). This also includes the assumption that most people had ten or fewer extra sets (that is, extras from the Vampire set; since once you got to a certain point, it was cheaper to just get another Vampire box and trade in Sophie).

I'm making some assumptions here, of course. We'll see as we get further along.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

Each NOVA squad is five guys and you could add them for $5 each. So at $1 per, that's a pretty good deal for your new imperial guard army. Note that you also get a squad with your Vampire level (assuming you went in for vampire), so that's a total of 35 NOVA dudes.

There's also a NOVA hero in the Chronoscope stretch goal, for a total of thirty-six NOVA soldiers.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ugh. This was a concern of mine - I hope I don't get a plastic cube on Monday...

They melt at somewhere between three and four hundred degrees. You might need to do the boil-and-freeze trick to get them into the proper shape, but they'll be fine. Most of them probably won't even need that.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Called my folks. The order I bought out has arrived, and will sit quietly until my return.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well, if you look at the ticker, the most recent destination was in Brazil, so I think they've got at least a dent in the international shipments.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Might consider adjusting the price of Nethyrmaul down. Reaper changed him from $75 to $40. Granted, you'll have 'em before retail, but I dunno if folks are going to be willing to pay an extra thirty-five bucks when the difference is likely to be a few weeks.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, they adjusted the price because Kally's quite a bit bigger than Nethyrmaul.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Got my shipping notice from UPS, but not from Reaper yet.

Number of Packages: 1
UPS Service: GROUND
Weight: 28.8 LBS

Not quite on the level of Captain Invictus, but still a pretty sizable package.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Got my shipping notice. They'll arrive this weekend. While I am out of state. :negative:

If it makes you feel better, I won't see mine for about three months.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 2, 2013

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

I used the spreadsheet in this thread, with the GregR site to find the models. I just put an X in the far right column for everything I'd received, MC for miscasts, then looked for where there were no Xes when I was done.

Bringing this up again since it might be useful to others.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

berzerkmonkey posted:

EDIT: Is there supposed to be a body on the altar in the Dungeon Dressing set? My bag was opened, so I don't know if I was missing something, or if they did an alternate bare altar top.

If anyone really wants the victim for the altar, it's available for $0.95 on the reaper site. Pretty much any multi-part metal set they have, you can buy individual pieces.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, some folks have been experimenting with thinning with things other than water on their bones. They've reported success with airbrush thinner and isopropyl alcohol, so long as the bones were given a good wash first.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Fix posted:

Yeah, mine has that. Is that something people are getting replacements for? Does it hold paint?

Best theory I've heard is too much plasticizer in the mix. It does hold paint, but for some parts, they may still need replacing. Like, if one of Kally's legs were too soft, and couldn't hold him up.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

On that note, does anyone know if they plan to ship them assembled in general (i.e. non-kickstarter sales)? There are some of these that I'd really like to get unassembled for various reason. Like the big fire elemental, I'd reeeaaally like to have him unassembled.

Most will be sold assembled, I'm afraid, unless they're so big that it sin't practical (like Kaladrax). Reaper's done some market research on the subject, and there are a bunch of people who are unwilling to buy unassembled minis, especially on the Bones price point. I know some people have had success breaking off the glued on bits through boiling, so you might try that if you want to do a detach/reattach.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Iris of Ether posted:

Bones #3, painted up tonight after I realized my GM's birthday is this week:

I'm a little sad I'll be parting with him, because this sculpt is cool as hell.

I painted the lead version for a paint exchange, and I felt the same way. Cyber-gorilla is an awesome miniature.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's probably the issue they were talking about with USPS, but you might give 'em an e-mail just to be sure. questions@reapermini.com should work.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
They still have the Undertaker pledges to send out (the ones that have actual racking and packaging). Once that's done, they'll allow stores to order it, and about a week after the stores have theirs, they'll start selling on their website.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd heard that a couple of times. I thought that Reaper were supposed to be covering all the shipping and customs costs, but apparently not for the UK.

Sigh.

Shipping costs yes, customs no. From the FAQ on the Kickstarter page:

quote:

You will be responsible for any customs taxes, duties, and fees on your end. That is out of our control, and we will not mark any shipment in any way that is inconsistent with international law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
On normal online sales, Reaper's got a pretty good reputation. I've never had them take more than two days to get something shipped out, unless I ordered at the start of a long holiday weekend, or in the middle of the Bones madness. They've done international orders for years, and most people report good service. The issues with the ROW shipping is definitely annoying, but it's not their usual MO.

At a guess, they're waiting until they have a solution before talking about the problem. Hanging around their forums, I've gotten a pretty good idea of the sort of people they are, and how they do business. I strongly doubt they've just forgotten about the international orders. I have no doubt that they're working as hard on whatever's holding them up as possible. But they don't like to talk before they feel they're ready. Not that I think this is the best approach. I think they've been too cagey with information like this.

I'd wait until after they've finished fulfillment, then try placing an order. Odds are good they'll be back to business as usual, which generally means quick turn-around times.

• Locked thread