Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Here you go.

So far, the original poster has only done the one experiment. Seems to paint up well. Another person experimented with denatured alcohol instead of isopropyl alcohol, and it doesn't seem to have much effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
They already announced Bones IV at ReaperCon back in September. I have a few pictures of sculpts for it here and even more here. One of the big ones is going to be Baba Yaga's hut. Also with bonus Factory Cat.

As for in-house production...

They're working hard on getting the expertise and equipment to do their Bones casting in-house. However, when I was there in September, their plastic-injection machines were mostly being used to make bases. They're working on getting molds back in-hand to do Bones in-house, but they're still a ways away from doing any serious Bones-making in Texas. They're definitely working on it, though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's happening!

Fun fact: I flew that US flag in the background over Afghanistan.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I fly on a jamming plane. Sometimes we take a flag with us. I've flown flags for family, friends, and people I know. I gave one to ReaperBryan, and they hung it up there.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Weird Air Force one, good ol' Compass Call. Funnily enough, I'm in Kuwait right now. Should have my Bones waiting for me when I get home.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The downside is 1) waiting for the Kickstarter to deliver to get return on your investment, and 2) having to store them until you've sold 'em. You're fairly well set up to deal with that, since you buy and sell stuff on the regular. But people who've never done it before might end up biting off more than they can chew if they're not careful.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I feel bad for ReaperBryan and Ladystorm (their web person). There's apparently some stuff they don't have permission to talk about yet regarding the shipping (in particular, why the Canadian backers are getting notices now while US backers aren't). Even when they do have information, they can't win. If they're not posting anything, they're failing to communicate with backers. If they do post things, then why aren't they shipping out packages?

I'd like to know what's going on with shipping, but I think the folks who can authorize those disclosures (the Pughs) are probably busy enough that it's the last thing on their minds.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Double posting to update you guys on the latest from the Bones rigidity thread.

quote:

Doug Sendseth said:

Dropped a CAV Tsuiseki (72242, looks like it was designed after an A-10) in IPA last night. The untreated Tsuiseki has very floppy wings and vertical stabilizers and is now quite a bit more rigid. No problems in painting so far (finished the Hordeling set a couple of days ago).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It'll be interesting to see if the rigidity makes it more brittle or not. It might be something you can trade off. Leave it in for a certain amount of time to make them a little less likely to go floppy, but not so stiff they break off.

Also, they've released some info. Looks like their shipping partner requested they send all of the Canadian packages off at once, which is why Canadian backers were getting shipping notices but Americans weren't. Now they're shipping out the American packages, and they have a tracker here.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Got my notification. Twenty-five pounds of plastic coming my way.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Kangarubles.

Red greenbacks.

Saltwater Crocodineros.

Koalolly.

EDIT: Funnelwonga spider.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fun fact: They initially intended to mail Ma'al out to backers in bags. However, there was a miscommunication, and they ended up with too many in boxes and not enough in bags. So, some people will receive their giant dragon in the retail box while others will get it in plastic.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So far as I know, it's the same material, just with less plasticizer in it.

ReaperBryan's at PaizoCon this weekend. Some people were joking about him bringing their orders, and he posted a picture to show how big some of the boxes are.

I just love that he included a Sir Forscale.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
If it's one box, it's under 70. 70 and above, they split it in two. Cheaper that way.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Additional data point: The system considers it a separate order each time you went back and re-locked your pledge after adding stuff. It's all shipped out in one package (barring something over 70 lbs), and the place in line is based on the first lock-in date, but it matters for the number of orders in the tracker, and likely for how long it takes to pull the orders.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
You can if you want. They're probably not going to be too concerned with getting it back, though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Getting started on my pile o' Bones.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Begin hype.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Coming into this late, but yes, they are going to have the legs cast separately from the hut.

Also, the green for that hut is absolutely awesome in person.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
That was me! Here are my imgur galleries from ReaperCon.

Gallery 1, with some Jason Wiebe Greens for Bones IV

Gallery 2, with the greens on display

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
You're a good parent.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

That dragon turtle tho

I saw it in person. It's pretty awesome.

I'm kind of bummed I'll be missing ReaperCon this year.I'm sure they'll have all sorts of cool sculpts on display.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finished up an orc.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
drat near forgot they were launching today. This'll be the first time I'm not wave one.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Julie Guthrie too, but she mostly does dragons these days.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Real talk, though. Guthrie and Garrity make some of the best female minis in the industry, and the fact that Reaper got them both on board in their early years has made their catalog a lot better than many of their competitors. Doesn't make up for the lovely stuff, but at least they do have a lot of female adventurers who look like they're actually out to go travel, explore and fight. I wish more of their sculptors today would follow in that example.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I love how they keep coming up with things I didn't know I needed. Minitaurs. Dice people. Angry gorillas.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yep, some Bones III stuff is already in their store, and more will be added each month until it's all for sale.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Giant Isopod posted:

I am disappointed by the lack of mouse people in this one.

The odds of them not having more mouslings in this are close to zil. They're probably waiting until they need another boost to keep momentum going.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cat Face Joe posted:

That thing needs to show up soon or else I'll have to start making decisions on what needs to be cut.

I think it might be towards the end, honestly. They like to have a few big things to drum up interest in the last few days.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
My feeling on the Pugh brothers is that they're somewhat on the libertarian side of things if anything, but mostly just care about running their company. Bryan's fairly left-wing, and this is exactly the sort of thing that pisses him off, but he's also only one person on their board. I know they've referenced the fact that there are a lot of different viewpoints among Reaper's staff, and generally they don't mind so long as no one does anything that hurts the company.

I think ultimately it's going to come down to whether or not the Pughs think Clark is worth keeping around from a financial standpoint. Clark's been with the company for years, and he's good at the rest of his job, so they might think that they'll lose less money by making a public reprimand and give him a warning than by replacing him. I think that's a mistake, but they tend to be very cautious when making changes with their company. We'll see what they do. I'm probably not going to drop my pledge over this, but I do think firing him would be the right choice.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm sticking to the Kickstarter, but I'm not backing as much as I would. I've let them know this. I fully agree anyone backing out of this should tell them why.

I honestly never expected much to come out of this publicly (or, likely, privately). They're very money-driven. The decision was always going to depend on how it affected the company long-term. Sadly, most backers are going to be okay with their lukewarm apology. And this way they avoid pissing off all the lovely centrists and right-wing customers who would be up in arms if they had fired him.

This doesn't mean we should be okay with the decision. I think they should have fired him anyway. The more people protest it, the more it makes them realize they could lose money in the future the next time something like this happens. It also helps fight against the normalization of racist speech. It doesn't feel like it, but the fact that he was forced to apologize and retract it is still something of a victory. Part of what's emboldened racists to the degree they have been is the perception that there are no consequences or public disapproval for their views. While it would have been better to see him fired, if he now has to keep those views private and away from his public profile.

It's possible Reaper wouldn't have done anything if people hadn't gotten up in arms about it. The more vocal we can be when poo poo like this pops up, the more we denormalize hate speech, the less emboldened the Nazis will be.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh. Um. Well, on a completely unrelated note, I need to send a PM.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
First, that's an awesome Goremaw.

Second, Reaper's apparently had some decent success with the anniversary minis, so they're doing something kind of similar.

They're reviving the old Dungeon Dwellers line of minis, but with new sculpts. There'll be a new sculpt each month, and you can get that month's mini free with any order of at least $40 from their webstore, or just buy it.

Unlike the anniversary minis, these ones will be available after the month is over.

Here's the first one.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

I’m having priming woes. I’ve tried Rustoleum Primer and Paint + primer. Both sort of ended up the same, slightly tacky and glossy. Was expecting the paint + primer to be better. VMC colours go on Ok but Tamiya run really bad.

Would do a coat of Testors dullcoat over them help? I figured that would stop the tacky feel and make them matte.

There are primers that don't contain those curing agents/solvents, like the Army Painter primers, but for the most part rattlecan primers are a bad idea.

Fortunately, as Bad Munki said, you don't actually need to prime Bones. Just don't thin your first coat, and it will act as the primer for the rest of your paint. It ends up being about as thick as primer+thinned basecoat.

If you really want to prime (and some people just like the "feel" of painting over primer), then a brush-on primer works perfectly well on Bones.

Bad Munki posted:

Thanks, JackMann!

My pleasure! And sorry they were so late on my end.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, sadly odds are pretty good those particular Bones minis aren't salvageable. It's a pain in the rear end, but there's not much to be done about it. The good news is that they're a lot cheaper to replace than metal minis would be.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

moths posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but shooting Vallejo polyurethane primer through an airbrush should eliminate the solvent interaction since there's no propellant.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Yep, works just fine. The Badger Stynylrez primer works just fine too.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's possible that Taco's has a bit too much plasticizer in it. That was an issue with the first round of Bones minis, though it's largely fixed in newer runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
If cooling doesn't work, you might try sticking a very thin paperclip or pin through the leg, or else add something terrainwise for him to lean on.

• Locked thread