Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m having priming woes. I’ve tried Rustoleum Primer and Paint + primer. Both sort of ended up the same, slightly tacky and glossy. Was expecting the paint + primer to be better. VMC colours go on Ok but Tamiya run really bad.

Would do a coat of Testors dullcoat over them help? I figured that would stop the tacky feel and make them matte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So it’s best to soak in Simple Green and start again? I do like the feel of painting over primer but (the bones are very glossy without anything) but it sounds like I should start over.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well given this I’m going to try soak one in Simple Green, cover one in a matte brush on base, cover one in brush on gloss and spray one with dullcoat. Worst case I just buy a new lot.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I had some that I primed before I read that you shouldn't do that, and I painted over the tacky primer. They came out fine, no difference from un-primed or primed with brush-on primer. I will warn you not to do what I did, and leave them sitting around for a while with a cat in the house before you paint them. I spent as much time picking cat hair off of them as I did painting them.

I tried that with the first one but the Tamiya paint doesn’t seem to go down well. VMC is fine though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Update on my priming disaster: I tried coating one in Testor's Dullcote and...it's fine now! Bit of a waste of dullcote but at least I'll save my 8 minis. :discourse:

• Locked thread