Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
My first Kickstarter actually :allears:

When I heard that Reaper's doing a KS I immediately got interested, when Isaw how much they actually offer my jaw hit the floor. I immediately pledged for something like $250, i.e. Vampire, 3 of the 4 paint sets (now I regret not getting the fourth), some dragons (including the 2 huge undead ones), blah.

I'v been a Reaper fan for a longest time. I started (unsurprisingly) with GW, but they had their serious aesthetics problems even back then in the 90s, especially with elf/female minis (insert joke how GW sculptors had never seen real women). In contrast, Reaper's are awesome, I love Klocke's elves. It's one of the rare companies that I can trust to make something totally random and there's a 90% chance they not only won't gently caress it up but it'll match my taste. And I simply looove RMS paints :3: so silky smooth coverage and awesome to blend :syoon:
My main problem with Reaper is that there are like 2 online stores importing them to Poland, they have limited range, and I can't afford to pay some ridiculous shipping every time I order a mini or two (no I can't plan 50 minis ahead). And don't even start about the paints. I saw them once on a clearance sale and each time I remember it I curse myself for not buying the whole available range :(
So, that was my big chance, I spend way more than I usually do on minis (especially when I'd see them in several months) and I think I have enough fantasy proxies to last me a few years. Skirmish games, board games, bookends, whatever. Still worth it.

Have you tried out any Bones minis already? How good is the detail compared to their metal counterparts? It's very hard to see in photos and if I'm gonna be disappointed, I want to be prepared. Also, apparently they come already assembled/glued, how careful is their assembly (misaligned parts, superglue spills, etc.)?

moths posted:

I'm considering "painting" most of my bones with a black wash and using them as playing pieces. I don't want to go nuts, but I'd like a look that compliments the printed out terrain I'm into using.

But man alive I'm having trouble finding a wash that gets along with the bones plastic. Going to try GW's Nuln Oil next.
If you want a low-effort look, maybe go for the Army Painter method - brighter base colors, dip/wash with the Strong Tone or equivalent (or wood stain :v:), let dry for 48 h, done! Lots of people do their low-detail minis (historicals, boardgames) this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I never noticed that, and come to think of it, it's pretty offensive. Are they implying that men are dumb primitives only useful for fighting or what?

quote:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/60148/sku-down/60148
That looks like the perfect Zachariah proxy for Descent. Thanks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Schmetterling posted:

Wait... I am going to have so many models! :psyduck:
You got screwed, now you'll have to paint each and every one of them! :unsmigghh:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Well, they can just email Reaper and ask them not to put anything non-fantasy in there. And pay extra for individual packing :v:

Seriously, what the gently caress? You're getting an awesome deal, it's not like you can't sell them on Ebay or something.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Wait, there's a Paranoia miniature game? :aaaaa: Gimme!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I kept the Sophie, figured a limited mini every once in a while can't hurt and I got all I wanted anyway, well except the case but I'd have to pay extra for shipping. Later I was kicking myself for not getting the last paint set, but that was another decision entirely, made before I knew how good Reaper paints are.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

no, just almost naked. You had to specifically order the nude one. Reaper :arghfist:
What, you wanted the fully naked version as default? Pervert.

quote:

This is the one thing that irks me about Reaper is quite how much of their stuff is annoyingly cheesecakey/antifeminist/whateverthefuck you call it. The amount of boob windows I'm going to have to cover with GS when I get these D:
Seriously? Reaper is soo much more tasteful than the competitors of that time. There's a huge lot of female minis I wouldn't be embarrassed to show to a lady friend, which is more than I can say of many companies. Yes, nowadays companies tend to display more "awareness", but then you have the other extreme of Kingdom Death's corrupted sexuality so :shrug:

And I'm still waiting for good cheesecake (or whatever the male equivalent's called) male sculpts, this is a loving outrage I'm telling you :colbert:

And the amount of boob windows may be related to the number of minis you order :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The sniper? Hey, people wanted to get rid of the boob plates :v:
Besides, she'll do nicely as an Iguana operator for my Infinity Nomads, and they are mostly freaks and perverts anyway.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Man, that must be like a whole week of painting for you :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

"This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

WTF did it have proprietary music or something?
Are you in Germany?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a picture yet of just everything included in the Vampire set, laid out on a table? Those guys sorta did it in that video, but they arrayed them in a big circle which isn't so great for showing just how much you get.

Yes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Remember that you can apply the Quickshade/stain with a large brush, this is often more convenient than dipping (you don't have to throw stain all over the place).

BTW, has anyone tried dipping/staining Bones material already? If so, with what results?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
No multiple coats; assume the "Army Painter method" - no primer (because Bones), basecoating (single coats, maybe double, paint with good coverage), dipping/brushing QS, matt varnish.

And speaking of primer, is Vallejo acrylic-urethane airbrush primer good for Bones?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
gently caress me, I'm buying a Sotar for that. Also, you may want to resize the image.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

moths posted:

There's skill there but unless you're colorblind I hope you could pick out a better scheme.
I actually like that scheme, probably more creative than what I'd come up with.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Where's that from?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I thought the style seemed familiar! Now I have to read Last Order.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Or the Clockwork Dragon. I think I got the Pathfinder one too. Dragons dragons dragons dragons everywhere, I don't even like loving dragons o.O

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Cue over a month of impatience and gnawing on my desk while the basic vampires receive their boxes :argh:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I hear the Bones come already assembled, it worries me a bit. Anyone have problems like misaligned pieces, sloppy gluing, etc.?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ravendas posted:

It was a mass email to basically everyone left in America and Canada. Don't get your hopes up yet.
I got it. In Poland with Vampire + Paints + huge dragons + something else. I hope it's the "next batch to be sent" option.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

moths posted:

C'thulhu, Kaladrax, and Nethyrmaul all ballooned to a price I probably wouldn't get them at. (No real use for, but they'd be nice to have.) But I got them! Cheap!
That's what I tell myself every time the "why do I need 2 huge-rear end undead dragons for?" issue comes up. My only Reaper regret is not getting the 4th paint set (funnily enough, the undead one) because "no, I have those colors".

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

The Reaper Megathread: Mine's Not As Big As Captain Invictus'
The Reaper Megathread: Mine's Not As Big But At Least I'm Not Selling Mine

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Argh, it seems I got bumped to the end of the queue because I wanted an extra Mr Bones. Oops :shobon: Still, I'm telling myself I have a few extra weeks of shipping anyway (what's the delay for EU shipping, BTW?).

VVV: This way when they inevitably melt in the courier van, you'll be able to separate them into their own misshapen blobs :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 4, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

lilljonas posted:

It also seems to only be US orders until the end now.
I remember Brazil as "last destination" a few days ago, so not really. Maybe they mostly had US backers?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Here, have this, a thing I've been thinking about since the moment I discovered some of these bones were going to be translucent:

Please tell me that's an actual Bones mini. It looks awesome. White or yellow LED?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

I just started using the boiling water technique to straighten out my bones. It works surprisingly well.
I hear ya, arthritis is a bitch :(

gnome7 posted:

I've converted a bunch of mine over to Malifaux mini proxies.
Especially the gunmen, but the weird dancing zombie also makes for a good Essence of Power, especially since the original mini looks like crap.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

what, where? I threw out all the packaging, did I miss something?
Yes, a PDF with an RPG. Look in your KS emails for a link.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

4100 orders left and I still haven't received my shipping notice :(

Baby Sathanas posted:

You're not alone! :ohdear:

Me neither :smith:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Poland here :poland:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fix posted:

5x Cthulhu? :catstare:
That's Bachtere. He'll have them all painted within 6 hours.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

aldantefax posted:

In the spirit of buying minis for incredibly cheap I must also find an incredibly cheap paint solution to match!
Starter sets from the Reaper Kicksta... oh wait. :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I STILL haven't even got a delivery note yet so gently caress you all AAAAAH!

That aside, seriously, is anyone else still missing theirs? I don't want to bother Reaper about it too much, but there comes a time when even I start to lose patience.
Haven't gotten one yet.

And seconding the "gently caress you, early Bones receivers :argh:" sentiment.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Mm, they'd made a customer of me for paints until a couple of months ago. At this point, they've basically convinced me to stick to FLGS resellers of GW paints.
Yeah, maybe I won't go as far as back to GW crap, but next time I want something from them I'll be thinking "yeah, I'd order some minis/paints/whatnot, but I'd like to get in several weeks, not next year". Pity, I like the company otherwise.

I'm wondering if they're having delays on non-Bones shipping or if such delays are a normal practice for ROW.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Seriously, they handled it pretty well, with good communication, and then suddenly the ticker goes down, shipping slows down enormously, so does communication, and well we're still waiting for any concrete info besides "no we're still shipping". Maybe they just care gently caress all about other countries, how am I supposed to know :confused:

What I meant is that's a huge order for me and also a verification of what I've heard about Reaper (which was good things). Now I have both others' opinions and my actual experience and they are very different. They could show me they're awesome, but they've made me wary.

VVV: Heh, that argument wouldn't fly with us, it's more like "gently caress the Poles, they'll complain about everything anyway" :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 2, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Someont painted a bunch of those in the oath thread lately. They should fit on a 20mm or several to a large swarm base.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Found on Reaper's forum, sent to one of the international backers:

quote:

We are still processing International Vampire level pledges and we are hoping to have them processed by the 2nd/3rd full week of August.

Delayed again, with no update of course... :(

...wait a moment...

...WHICH AUGUST? :argh:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yeah, it's like "our final and unchangeable deadline is 'three weeks from now' " :doh:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

lilljonas posted:

Since we now no longer get proper updates, we don't even know how many orders are left. 1500? 150? At least mine is once of them, and not a peep from Reaper.

You'll get your minis shipped within three weeks. This is a final and immovable date :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Where did they say that?

Full comment (names redacted):

quote:

Creator Reaper Miniatures about 19 hours ago

We are sorry if you have not received your rewards yet. You may not believe this, but we will be just as glad to get it to you as you are to receive it.

@ *redacted1*: We are 90% complete on shipping out rewards. *Redacted2* is correct in making the statement that it is an estimated ship date. Which was based, at the time, on many unknown factors. We are doing our very best to get the last >10% complete, and we will finish this sooner than later. Also, as we are this close to completion, we will not be giving any refunds anyway. That window closed a while ago.

@ All: Please keep in mind that a Kickstarter project is not a purchase, it's a donation that will eventually result in a rewards for your donation, but technically doesn't have to return you a thing. It carries a real risk similar to an uninsured investment. However, we are not doing this to you as we are shipping. If you are thinking of Kickstarter as a retail outlet, then you should expect a lot of disappointment in your future. We are one of the few companies that have actually fulfilled (as much as we have so far). Take a look around at funded Kickstarters, especially one's that offer miniatures, and see how many are shipping anything, let alone 90% done within a year of the close date.

So, it's OK to string people along with a fake shipping ticker and moving the shipping date god knows how many times, but if we're late to ask for a refund, it's our fault? And the comment about "technically not having to return a thing"... Well Reaper, technically I don't have to be a return customer. And with these kinds of comments you've convinced me not to. Seriously, if you're gonna hold the technicalities over our heads after admittedly finishing 90% of the order, your reputation's gonna go down the drain faster than you can say "Was it really a success?"

• Locked thread