Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
If I wanted to pick up a huge batch of plastic models, what's the best way to buy prior reaper bones batches in bulk? I have ordered a bunch of season 3 models via the pledge manager but would be keen to pick up some KS 1 and 2 sets. The obvious channels are eBay and just a huge pile of stuff from an online store but wondering if I am missing anything / what's the best value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Cool, I'm in Australia so shipping is going to be ghastly but will reach out.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I'm really fighting not to tack on a graveyard and mythos expansion.

Edit:

Anyone got any tips on actually powering through and painting a huge pile of reaper bones btw? I asked in the mini painting thread and didn't get a huge amount of engagement. I figure I need to get the process down to less than 15 minutes a model to leave time for the larger pieces.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 27, 2016

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Anyone used Minwax to dip reaper bones?

If so any advice?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah I'm hosting a painting party to get the rest of my bones 1 & 2 punched out before part 3 arrives.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Godspeed, you insane person, you.

While a painting party is mostly an excuse to drink, it's been pretty funny. Because I figured out that I have 5-6 minutes a model including priming I'm just doing a really basic process for all the non 'showpiece' minis.

Airbrush Zenithal prime with black and grey
3-4 color Base coat
Minwax dip
If I am feeling excited dry brush some highlights on
Airbrush Matt varnish
Pretend any mistakes never happened.

So I'm just banging them out as fast as possible which results in the following snark from my players:

"Hrm this isn't a very good paint job, I can do better" "Okay here are some brushes" *Two hours later* "OK I've finished one, still needs some highlighting though" "If I took 2 hours a model I'd finish painting some time next decade" "Ohhhh"

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah I am the opposite of surprised that there are production delays.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah Reaper are learning that unless you are physically colocated with your offshore suppliers random poo poo like this happens all the time.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1513061270

If you go there and hit follow, I think it should notify you whenever Reaper starts a project

Notifies you if they start or back a project. I wish KS would have a starts only option but if they do I cannot find it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Ashcans posted:

If Reaper has any sense (and they seem to have a bit) they would launch their new Kickstarter right after delivery of the current one- that way they can say 'look at all the stuff we just fulfilled, we did it!' and plus all the people that backed the last one will be giddy from getting their stuff/addled by the offgassing of resin and plastic, and back the new one too.

Yeah, I think it makes best finacial sense to try and sequence your kickstarters like this. The guys who are going to be doing sculpting + media etc for a new kickstarter are not your deal with Chinese outsourcer + payments + logistics people so it would be insane not to be preparing the next kickstarter because you're just wasting money and time on those people.

I agree reaper is best to delay launch until the other campaign has shipped (or at-least has completed shipped except for obscure geographies, if Brazil or South Africa is still waiting you might want to bite the bullet anyway)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Ashcans posted:

My understanding is that Reaper has always made their miniatures in-house in Texas. The original purpose of the Bones Kickstarter was to get them enough capital to pay for the initial molds and casting equipment to bring plastic production in-house as well. With the huge volume they get in backers, they decided to once the molds were cut in China they would have those factories make the initial high-volume runs, and then ship everything out to them and they make the regular production runs that are much more modest. They basically repeat that with each one, using the funds to get a bunch of molds cut and run the backer's stock, and then making subsequent product at their factory with their new equipment.

Their website says their production can scale up to 20,000 miniatures a day, but I have no idea how many figures were needed for a kickstarter fulfillment. It looks like there were around 10,000 people ordering the core set, which has 258 models. So that would be something like 4 months just to produce the core sets that were ordered, but that's only $1m of the $2.7m pledged.

Also, I doubt that they can actually meet that full capacity in Bonesium, that's probably their overall production rate for all kinds of miniatures.

Theyve also said that over 40% of total pledge value arrives in the pledge manager so total value is probably closer to 4.3 million

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The problem is I paid for airfreight and now I'm getting sea freight.

Seems unfair to me?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Amusingly despite reapers fuckery with sea shipping I'm going to get my order before estimated delivery (Oz resident)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

It's ok that they treat their rest of world customers like poo poo, as long as America is great again

TBF they beat my original delivery date estimate in Australia. The group of people who got shafted is earlish AU/NZ backers.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

moths posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but shooting Vallejo polyurethane primer through an airbrush should eliminate the solvent interaction since there's no propellant.

Has anyone tried this yet?

I do this. It works fine. I find it a lot easier than trying to spray on base coats directly.

It's not super durable though so use some heavy duty varnish. I usually use the dip method, so this isn't an issue.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Felime posted:

Airbrush, dip, or paint on the varnish though. Even through a few layers of paint the bones can still get loving sticky from rattlecan varnish.

Yeah - if you are dipping with miniwax make sure you primed the fuckers correctly otherwise you will wreck it.

• Locked thread