Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm a little pissed off that people can now buy these in stores before I've got mine >.< Before mine have even shipped, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mm, they'd made a customer of me for paints until a couple of months ago. At this point, they've basically convinced me to stick to FLGS resellers of GW paints.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Not moving to. Just not moving from. The FLGS that stocks them is on my way home from work, so it's not really any trouble.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pretty much that, yeah. They rocketed through the first 16k orders in about a month when they started shipping in earnest, then they got to the last 2000 and just went silent and slow. Now, I'm sure there's a rational explanation, but at the moment, it really feels like 'gently caress all the Brits, they won't complain, we'll leave them til last'.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly, I might do - but for convenience, as long as that FLGS keeps stocking citadel paints, I'll probably just keep buying those. I can run out of something, and get it replaced with basically no lead time, with no shipping costs, and start using it straight away.

I'm just a bit frothy about it now, purely because I know that even when my order ships, I've got to wait for it to arrive, then pay for it again, and only THEN will it be delivered. It's irksome. But the lack of communication more than anything bothers me. I'd be a lot happier if they posted a daily 'sorry, we're working on it, X is wrong with the international shipping, please be patient' on facebook, than what they're doing now, which is either making me worry in silence, or bother them by email, neither of which is helpful. It would take one person 5 minutes to post on facebook every day or two. As it is it must take them several times as long to answer all the concerned/angry emails. It's a breakdown in what has otherwise been pretty stellar customer service throughout.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mmm, that too. I'd only vaguely heard of Reaper before I came here, and before Bones was sort of vaguely considering buying some things from them. Then when Bones hit, I did. But now that it's hit, and gone far beyond their deadlines on several occasions for it being delivered, I'm back to 'probably not' again.

Rollercoaster rider.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Indeed.. I was thinking about this the other day, and it struck me what bothers me most: I could have bought my entire order second hand from Capt. Invictus, and had it by now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Somehow, I thought you might say that. but I've already dropped the cash with Reaper. In hindsight, I'm starting to wish I hadn't.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I wonder if I could maybe recruit some kindly Texan to... walk to their factory and pick up my order, and UPS it to me. Or, you know, row it to me, it would probably get here quicker.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mine finally shipped yesterday. I'm still pretty pissed, because I know customs will be a holdup.

But it gives me time to finish this month's oath, ready to start on the reaper things :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm not sure that there's any logic left. Though, I did send a lovely email the day before to them, so maybe that works?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's pissed me off and I've GOT my email. gently caress that's pretty terrible. I'm pretty sure I'm now not going back to them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Indeed. WHat would satisfy me at this point, would be a frank, open, honest KS update or mailshot telling those who have been waiting on orders, what's happening. It didn't annoy me at all when delays crept in; frankly I expected it in a process this big. It annoyed me when delays crept in and nobody told me why, and I had to keep checking facebook to see if any news had been posted, and it rarely had, and when it was, it was placeholding, not information.

I don't know wtf happened to the customer service, but it definitely went to poo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

gently caress me, UK customs are loving glacial. They've had my package all week, and not even sent out the note telling me how much I need to pay. This is really starting to hack me off now. I ought to get them on Tuesday. At which point, I can't take them home, because that's game night at someone else's flat. It looks like the packet of magnets I ordered from the US after I got my reaper delivery mail are actually going to beat them here, purely by dint of being cheap enough that there don't seem to be any customs fees.

Fuuuuccckkk etc.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mm, I know, I feel for you, seriously.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mine should be in my hot little hands tomorrow, finally.

And guess what I found out in the interim: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50971-bones-ii-autumn-2013/

They're only loving doing it again :tviv: Before all the orders for the current one are fulfilled, they're planning the next one. WTF.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

First I'd heard of it. It does make me wonder why they're doing it. I thought the casting machine was paid for...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Quantumfate posted:

Except that now my models are super sticky, and it's like painting on top of glue. The paint won't hold without clumping into awful little globs.

Probably your primer isn't dry yet... Some primers can take a LONG time to stop being tacky, particularly if you didn't shake the can properly and there's still some propellant mixed in.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

gently caress yeah, mine finally came. I've not catalogued Vampire yet, but I've got all of my add-ons, and none of them look like hideously-misshapen fistfaces as yet. I do seem to have an extra not-remorhaz and an extra set of Forces of Nature - I'm assuming the former is because one of the packs is open, and therefore they couldn't be sure all the bits were there, but no explanation at all for the latter, just a handy bonus. A lot of them are a bit bigger than I was expecting too, which is cool but possibly a little awkward to make them fit for purpose.

Bad bits: the case is kinda flimsy. And Sophie (yes, I got Sophiem I thought the bike and wings might come in handy for something) is TINY. I was expecting 54mm, it's probably more like 25.

If I get anything from Bones II, it would be this guy: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/paladin/latest/03503 - minotaur PC minis are few and far between, and I like that one. E: and I'd probably just buy it resale or something, because there's no way Management would allow another hundred minis into the house until these are finished...

Going swimming now, then a wonderful evening of counting minis ahead of me :D

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 21, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That's what I would have expected. I'd assume this will be on a much smaller scale.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

So my trip report having totted up the Vampire level: down Mr Bones and the necromancer lady who goes with Kaladrax. Not a desperate problem, and probably not one I'll bother to have fixed, though Mr Bones is a bit of a downer D: I've checked mys hipping receipts, the outsides of the boxes etc, but no luck. I'll check the delivery boxc again when I get back to work, but it's probably recycled by then. Meh.

Bonesium is generally good stuff, but seems prone to losing very fine detail, particularly fine-featured noses and fingers on some of the smaller women figures, and yeah, a few wobbly swords, and a lot of things that are going to want a bit of boiling before I go any further with them, though a lot less than expected. Kaladrax is loving MASSIVE and his head is really really floppy compared to the rest of him, but otherwise he looks pretty good. Wyrmgear is a little disappointing as expected, with his totally flat wings. And I seem to have a duplicate set of nova marines.

Overall, I would have been pretty satisfied if I hadn't been so late getting them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Holy balls, I just did a test fit of Kaladrax.

What the gently caress am I ever going to do with this thing? Also, I'm going to need loving housepainting brushes for it.

I think the tail is the silliest bit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The base IS hollow, it would fit most of them. E: though is it just me, or does it really kinda look like he's cocking his back leg like a dog peeing...? Maybe I need to bend it in or something.

Actually, it would be fairly practical in play I think; the base is about 4e Gargantuan size, and then there's room for it to tower above the PCs.

And we're going to be playing EPIC 5-2 Dragons Dark eventually...

I need to do spreadsheets for these and work out an order of priority based on upcoming EPIC mods actually...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

gently caress no then I'm not allowed to buy any more ever!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

This is one of those 'character is what you are in the dark' moments, isn't it?

Sigh.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Does anyone have the selection of links for tracking what figs you've received etc? I probably ought to add them to the OP - it would also be great if someone has a list of the names of the individual Bones figures - I'm going to start oathing them, and for the most part, I have no loving clue what they're actually called.

E: herp derp, they are of course, all listed by name in the Reaper Bones section of the website. I will just use that unless someone volunteers a useful cheatsheet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I just printed the original image across 4 sheets of a4 and laid the figs out on top of it. I should have taken a photo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've fitted mine into 10 1-litre food tubs (split vaguely up by type) and the Vampire box. It's a serviceable method, I'm banking on the fact that they're tough and hardwearing to make it work, along with the fact that all of the parts are uniquely-fitting, so I don't need to worry about mixing them up. I'll be transferring them into the case as they're painted.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hey, I'm probably doing him in the oath thread next month. Mine, however, will be decked out in purple pimp coat because purple > all

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My trip report is even on the areas where I managed to rub the primer off with my cackhanded attempts to pin my first mini to the Secret Weapon base I swapped in, it still took paint well - not quite as well as over the primer, but meh, it was OK. On which note, my first painted bone:

My second is Galladon, the !Gandalf with the giant hat and the scroll, and my trip report with him is that 5 minutes in the freezer made the superglue easy to pop apart, because there was no loving way I was going to manage to paint him with his head on...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

How are you doing those tiny bottles? beads?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've found the softness really variable actually. Some of my thinnest swords are pretty stiff, but Kaladrax's heady is outright bendy all over, as is his tail spike, and those are some of the largest parts. They're just made out of a completely different material.

Overall, the bendiness is on a par with WotC's minis, so, acceptable for my money. Also, DnDeeples :3:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Imazul posted:

I regret not making mine purple but I only have one shade of purple(for now) :(

Red+Blue does = purple, but mine's only that vibrant because of a jealously guarded pot of 15-year-old citadel Purple Ink. it's magical (very vibrant, very heavily pigmented), and I will be devastated when I run out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Iris of Ether posted:

Yep, beads & PVA glue. I bought 2 bags of mixed color glass beads (one medium, one small), a few tubes of small metal beads, and I went to town. The ones being held are painted, and the ones on the diorama aren't.

The original tutorial is here. I crib a lot of his ideas.

:tviv: pro-click zone right there, that's some great stuff I would never have thought of. Thanks a bundle =D

Also, dude is crazy, loving turning bottles and vases out of dowels using a power drill as a lathe, goddamn that's dedication.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That was rather what I thought. it won't affect structure in this case, but it will probably be more prone to pain flaking off.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You have to see if you can bend the tiefling's arm so he's throwing horns rather than casting a spell...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Def Displacer Beast?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

One of the goblins from the multi-goblin sprues in the dungeon assault set. The sword-and-shield one i think.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

In mine, it was the PF Iconic with the fire bird familiar. I have some spare arms, if I ever get round to him, but the PF Iconics aren't high on my list for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The PF iconic barbarian. I think it's a fullblade or similar.

• Locked thread