Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

signalnoise posted:

Holy poo poo that's huge

Yeah, that's Sir Forscale on those ruins, on a 1" base. You can extrapolate from there.

They aren't budging on details on the dragon. Hard to tell its size from this, aside from 'holy wow big'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

Am I the only one more excited for those ruins than for the dragon?

I'm dragon'd out, and although I think the ruins are a really cool addition, I make my own stuff out of Hirst Arts, so I won't be ordering it either.

I like it though!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Update!

Expansion 3 was expanded, with some not-mindflayer scifi aliens.

Also, medium sized bases for everyone!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a handful of cthulhuzerg, myself.

They do look pretty huge. Ogre sized or bigger.

I like that the bases have an indented side. That way, you can put the figure with the broccoli base on that side, and then use some greenstuff to surround and cover the figure's base, up to the lip of the base. It'd appear mostly flat, making the broccoli base blend in more. Plus, if you know how to do some basic greenstuff modeling, you can make it look like swamp, stone, tiles, cobblestones, whatever.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Not sure if everyone saw this site, you mouseover the images of the figures and it shows them in their current metal form, zoomed in. Some of those figures are much nicer than I imagined.

http://greg.botch.com/bones2/

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Also, lots of people just pledge the $1 or $100, mentally tagging what they want to get, and just up their pledge on the last day. Enough that the kickstarter servers actually went down last time.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

The late push is a given, it's how almost every KS runs. The only question is how big a push will it be? And will it happen soon enough to flesh-out the Expansions before people bail on them for being incomplete.

Reaper said they have a plan for the expansions if they somehow don't get completed. I haven't seen them say what they'll do to make them worthwhile, just that they will announce something if pledging fails to unlock everything.

Edit:

Here's a review of bones from an award winning painter and sculptor Victoria Lamb. http://victoriaminiatures.info/painting-my-first-reaper-bones-miniature/#more-272

Here's the image from that review:

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 22, 2013

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Tentacles can be easily had by getting a dollar store octopus toy and chopping it up, so it's not that impressive. The huge shadow demon looks great though, as does that shadow hound. That shadow reminds me more of a banshee though, shadows are just supposed to be amorphous, vaguely humanoid things.

Edit: I'm pledged at $200. $100 for core, $50 for expansion 2 most likely, $50 for random stuff.

\/\/ Bones Racist Spotted \/\/

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 22, 2013

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The Trollslayer Sophie is the first bones one, and of their standard mini scale. Extras are 2 bucks each.

They said there's more to add to the core set, but already it's a good deal if you like most of them. Which I do.

They've also noted that if somehow the expansions don't fill out, they'll do something to still make them worthwhile. You won't just get stuck with a half-unlocked set.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

If they have a grey command squad, and science squad, but no actual combat squad, it sounds like that's what will unlock last. Totally guessing though.

Also, that 2nd alien from the right on the bottom has a bangin rack.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

moths posted:

I realize I complain about the expansions, but there's 59 hours left and I count seven empty slots on the expansions. So even if people dump piles of money in these last days, that's seven wasted stretch goals I'm not eligible for and don't care about about. So unless some rad add-ons appear that I $100 want, I'm either dropping to $1 or waiting until retail.

And seriously - what's the point of fleshing out the expansions if their goals aren't met? Every expansion reveal now has a silent "*We were including this no matter what" because maybe the numbers look better if Reaper doesn't upgrade the Core.

They didn't update the main expansion pictures yet. They just went back and halved the number of expansion reveals necessary, so each update shows double. They're capable of changing things mid-stride, as they already did a similar thing two weeks ago. They'll get filled out with fewer goals now.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

If they clip the Expansions short then they are absolutely not worth $50.

Except I didn't say that?

I said they're combining the unlocks together. So instead of 4 unlocks of 5 items each, it's 2 unlocks of 10 items each (or whatever numbers). Same amount of things getting unlocked faster. The expansions are all getting filled out.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Trick card, aka a free random unlock, popped up. An actual addition to the core, a not-bulette.

Trying to figure out if that's a not-yet-finished model, as it looks unfinished.

Edit: What I mean, is that the shell, head, underbelly, everything looks great, then X's all over the untextured legs.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 24, 2013

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

What Leper said. The $1 pledge level just means it's a pledge of at least $1. $100 pledge level is of at least $100. It doesn't matter which one you use if you're spending $100 or more, it's just that the $100 pledge levels are usually of an earlier wave.

I asked a Reaper guy about it in the comments:

@Reaperdude
A frequent question in here, with the $1 pledge, what can they tack onto that?
Core set for $100?
Just an expansion for $50?
Pieces of the core set, without the coreset itself?
All of the above?

@Ravendas - All and any of the Above. Likewise, the $100 level does not strictly speaking require you to get the $100 Core Set - you could choose to get $100 in Options, Extras, Expansions, etc. and ignore the Core Set as a whole.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

SinetheGuy posted:

So it's all a la carte, cool. The one other question is about the date for adjusting, which there seems to be conflicting directions about.

The first and third lines seem to contradict each other. Is there something I'm missing?

You can adjust it all you want, and but as soon as you hit the "Lock" or "Submit" or "Yes, This is my final order" button, whatever it is, it locks it in and that's that.

But up until you hit that button, you can move the numbers around.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

/\/\ Awesome. /\/\

More bases!

So that makes 50x 1", 20x 2" and 10x 3".

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just wish that Angel of Protection wasn't carrying a toddler. Makes it kinda weird.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bucnasti posted:

Ok, I wasn't hot on expansion #2 but that demon minotaur is sexay. I hope they let us buy individual minis from the expansions.

They won't, they said in the comments every time it came up that they won't. They say you have to wait for retail. Otherwise, a ton of myconids would be mine.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Stephenls posted:

Interesting that Baphomet appears to be a render. Are they experimenting with making a prototype via 3D printing and making the mould off that, maybe?

It's something like 1. Sculptor sculpts figure out of green stuff or whatever. 2. Super scanner for computer image. 3. Send that file to China to make molds.

It's how we got Kaladrax to be so ridiculously huge. There was a mixup somewhere, and what was supposed to be the width became the height or some such, so the molds got scaled up.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Another thing for the core:

It fits on a 1" base they said.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

head58 posted:

Are those "24 bonus figures" (4 gnolls, mummies, etc) available in any of the a la carte options or only in the $100 core set?

They're only part of the core set. That's why they're a bonus, for ordering the core.

Also for Exp2, those caryatid columns at the bottom are really a before/after. Before/After activation of the golem.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Just figure out how much you want to pledge, and put that in. You can figure out what you want exactly afterwards. Like I figured I wanted a core set, an expansion, and some random stuff, so I'm in for $200. I don't know what exactly, but it doesn't matter just yet. Just get your pledge in before it ends to help unlock other stuff.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Kerzoro posted:

I -still- wish this KS hadn't started this month, only by virtue of having no money.

... Hell, it would have been nice if it had ended at the -beggining- of next month instead of the end of this one.

As it is, I'm -hoping- my $100 pledge goes through, since I think it will send my card into overdraft... or I have to really hope to get paid on monday :P

Like Wazzu says, just pledge a dollar. Then, between now and December 31st, you can increase your pledge through their own special pledge manager to get what you want. $1 gets you in now.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I run AD&D 2e, so I mostly went for what will get seen on the board, limiting myself to $200.

$100 for core, an obvious choice.
$50 for Expansion 1. I can see myself using ~23 models from there, some of them big.
$7 for Core Dungeon Monsters 1. I like the ankheg and the carrion crawler, and could use multiples of them at the same time. Other stuff is nice as well.
$20 Thank You Pack. I like the styles of the figures, and can see 4 of them hitting the table. A bit more expensive than I think it should be, but whatever.
$9 Core Gnolls and Bugbears. 6 models, bringing me up to 10 of each when combined with the core. 10 bugbears should just about do it for a small group of them.
$12 Mashaaf, as an end boss to some underground caverns. Gotta get something big and cool, and this might actually get used.

Leaves me with $2 for another Sophie, or two more Mr. Bones or a basilisk.

Edit: Really waffling on that Thank You Pack. It's expensive for what it is when compared to other prices. I really only want the warrior, the gnoll and the not-otyugh. Trying to think what else I could get for $22 that would see more use.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 29, 2013

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

I keep getting emails from the reaper kickstarter saying "OMG you need to do the pledge calculator stuff or we can't send you anything!" but I've already done it ages ago, and when I go to the calculator, I just see the invoice. I assume they're just sending these notices to everyone via kickstarter, but I'm worried I'm missing something. Is anyone else getting these in spite of having filled out the info and locking in their reward?

That was the single kickstarter email they get to send out. Everyone got it, to remind everyone to finish up their order.

Plenty of people aren't in the loop or paying attention, and think what they chose with the pledge manager months ago was the end of it. They gotta send mass messages for those types.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

neongrey posted:

That is not the pledge manager, that is the ks survey. You should probably submit it.

The ks survey is just "We have to put a question here, as it's not really a survey, just a reminder to finalize your pledge."

I only got the first email, because I filled out the "survey". The 2nd might be for those that didn't do that?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, with the limited-entry waves they did and the fact that they're making all their bones minis in-house now, I'd be pretty surprised if products were shipped out late.

Except they're not making them all inhouse. They're making a lot of their retail bones inhouse, but this kickstarter is shipping over from China.

They've only got one bones making machine, it can't handle the order a kickstarter demands. They're trying to get more of those machines.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Stephenls posted:

That's a nice fake otyugh, that is.

Yeah, too bad it's from the otherwise poopy Thank You Set. I wanted that a lot, but not $20 bad.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Just realized it's gonna be September soon, and you know what that means. Y'all got all your bones from last time painted? :v:

I've painted the rats, kobolds, goblins and skeletons...

Too busy with all the other bits of this hobby (AD&D) to get around to painting them. Mapping, writing stuff up, Hirst Arts dungeon stuff, programming, etc. I hardly ever get around to actually sitting down and painting.

I need to buy some more storage racks. I've got two of these: http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/storage-racks-containers/26-combo-storage-cabinet/p-1456187-c-9189.htm

Two hold all my Kickstarter1 stuff, plus the Heroquest and Dragonstrike figures I've had, plus a bunch of other random ones I've bought over the years. They don't hold the huge things, I just have the giants, dragons and such sitting around on shelves. Might need to get another one or two of them.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

LumberingTroll posted:

Its too bad CAV is a terrible game :( If it was 10mm I would buy to use in other games though... but it wont be.

If they do a full CAV Kickstarter, I think its going to flop pretty hard.

Yep, they're going to do a full CAV kickstarter. They just said it a day or two ago in the comments section of the Bones2 Kickstarter page.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

If you have any plaster, you can do this simple method: http://gamedecor.com/abasworld/Tricks/treasures%20&%20trinkets.htm

Scroll down to 'coin piles'.

Basically, take a lump of clay, dig your thumb in it to the size you want, then poke it with a small rod over and over to give it a coin texture. Cast it, pop it out; poof, a pile of coins.

He also has a suggestion below it which is basically hot glue and glitter, but it might be too sparkly.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Right, as said, the point of the kickstarters were to get their own injectors to depend less on China. However, to actually fulfill the kickstarters, they need the factories in China. They're producing more and more of the stuff they sell on a daily basis in house now, but it's not 100% quite yet.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Is this some April Fools stuff? Because they haven't updated in almost two weeks, and the last update said they won't get the last of the boxes in until January.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Wave 1, they're shipping mine. Actually got 4 emails, someone was misclicking something because 3 of them had "You are getting: " blank.

The 4th though, had the proper list. Odd, but whatever, they're coming!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Wave1 shipping notice received, for real this time. Arriving Monday, got it earlier today. Kinda slow, but whatever, waited this long already.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Packing error in your favor, collect one extra Expansion 1.

2013 Core Set ($100) x1 100.00
Dungeon Monsters ($7) x1 7.00
Gnolls & Bugbears ($9) x1 9.00
Greater Demons ($12) x1 12.00
Water Elementals ($10) x1 10.00
Mashaaf, Great Old One ($12) x1 12.00
Expansion Set 1 ($50) x1 50.00
Total: $200

They threw in two boxes of Expansion 1, and everything else seems to be there, though I haven't gone figure by figure yet. Hurray?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just hope their expansions this time around are themed. Them being all over the place really kept me from buying any beyond one, and I almost didn't get that one.

Something like a Town theme, with guards, militia, more townsfolk, witch, apothecary, and other things like that. Just group up the minis in some way, instead of the seemingly random fashion they were before.

Also, less terrain. I use Hirst Arts molds for dungeons, and can slap together foamcore and balsa well enough for the rest. I don't need some oddly specific pieces that might only see use on a Warhammer board that I haven't played in over a decade.

More demihumans, either adventurers or regular folk, with many more female than the usual 10:1 male:female demihuman ratio we normally get it seems. I have a dozen dwarf warriors, 0 of them are women. I have a handful of halflings, I'm pretty sure none are women. The only female gnome I have is the terribly weird Pathfinder iconic, which doesn't jive with the AD&D aesthetic really. The only race that gets many female figures are elves, and that's because they are easily made sexy, which sells to nerds.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I can't wait to see what their expansions are going to be like this time around. They said they'll be themed, since the previous mishmash hodgepodge ones of KS2 weren't too popular. KS2's first expansions was at 1.6mil, I think this one will more likely be after the 1mil mark on the new map, just to get some speed going.

Also, they plan on the core set being 150 models, so we've still got a lot to add.

So far I'm in for $156: Core, an unseen expansion, and extra ogres now that they have the core bits opened up for individual sale.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bucnasti posted:

Because dragons sell. The guy who didn't buy that first dragon might not buy the 5th and 6th, but the guy who did buy the first one, very likely will buy the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th all the way to the seventeenth.
Goobers love dragons more than Cthulhu and tophats with sprockets on them.

They also said they make a few dozen types because at least one is going to appeal to each person. Eventually people will cave when a certain one that just calls to them is released.

Plus, being 10-15 bucks instead of 55-75 is a bonus.

Edit: Next unlock is a single weapons sprue. For those of us with bitz boxes from Warhammer, Mordheim and such overflowing with pieces like this, whoopdy-loving-do.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy moly the diminishing returns on Bones 3 has been significant, I won't say it's slowed to a crawl since it's still pulled in nearly 12k today, but 75% of the current funding was on the first day. The other 25% is over 4 days.

Wonder if they'll adjust their stretch goals accordingly? I know there's a spike at the end of course, but this feels like it's been far slower than 2.

As said before, they've condensed the stretch goals in the middle. $50k per goal instead of the 100k it should be, to keep things attainable.

Also, the themed expansions have yet to be unlocked, which should encourage more pledging later on. Still have two weeks to go, plenty of time to unlock stuff.

• Locked thread