Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I don't know if it's just me or what, but the add-ons to Bones II seem MUCH more interesting than the add-ons to Bones I. I have only seen a couple I don't care about.

I have not painted a single one of my Bones I and I'm already going to dump $200 at least on this :gogtears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
So I ran a few numbers based on what's up on the Kickstarter page, because I'm a data junkie when it comes to my kickstarters. Note that these numbers don't include any of the Dungeon Dressings, which I don't care about, and the paints or the cases.

If you pledge the core and all the add-ons that aren't paint, cases, or terrain, right now you're looking at $294.
The core is 135 figs for $100, or $0.74 per fig.
If you go all in, you're paying $294 for 207 figs, or $1.42 per figure. That does include all the big dragons and whatnot.
The $50 core expansion is currently 25 figs for $50, or $2 a fig.

I'll keep updating these numbers as we go for my own personal edification, and can keep posting here if this is of interest to anyone.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Care to run the numbers of the first campaign through that analysis so we can compare?

Yeah, I can definitely do that, but probably won't have a chance to input everything until I get home from work tonight. I'll also run it with the terrain too just so it's a flat 1:1 comparison.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Also I know this will not happen but Kicktraq has this making $14,000,000 and change. :laugh:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Updated by-the-numbers post. Note: these numbers do not include the terrain/dungeon dressings!

Edited to include extra Oh, Rats! fig

I didn't realize the cube came with two slimes, so that has changed the figure totals slightly for Bones II.

Bones I
231 figures in the core set
$0.43 per figure for the core set
$342 total to go "all in" and buy 1 of all the add-ons
At a cost of $1.27 per figure if you did that
And a total of 269 figures.

Bones II as of 10/3
135 figures in the core set
$0.74 per figure for the core set
$294 to go "all in" and buy 1 of all of the add-ons, including Core Expansion 1
At a cost of $1.40 per figure if you did that
Including $50 for 25 figures in Core Expansion 1
Or $2 per figure in Core Expansion 1
For a total of 210 figures.

Edit: Bones II numbers only include currently unlocked expansions!

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 4, 2013

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

homullus posted:

Do you have the figures at hand for the retail value of Bones I? The Vampire set is now $325, with individual sale of all of its parts putting it higher, but I don't know what they add-ons amount to. Kaladrax is like $75 on his own, though.

I don't, sorry. I put all that together by hand from what's on the Kickstarter site.

I'd kind of forgotten that Kaladrax was $10. Easily the best $10 I've ever spent on a fantasy figure.

Edit:

quote:

Note that this are all Actual Things (though they weren't technically mimics). Gary Gygax could be kind of an rear end in a top hat.

I've been reading Playing At The World, which is an exhaustive history of the origins of D&D, and one of my key takeaways from that books was that early days of the game were all about GMs trying to dick over their players.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

neonchameleon posted:

That's not Kaladrax Reborn. The secret of Kaladrax Reborn is that the Chinese factory messed up. You know that odd woman holding her hand up you got in Bones that was meant to go with Kaladrax? He was meant to be able to rest his chin on her hand, and Kaladrax wasn't meant to be much bigger than the other $10 dragons.

Wait, what? You mean he wasn't supposed to be a 3' monster?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

JackMann posted:

Not surprising. There were a lot of people in the first KS who complained about needing to get a bunch of bases for their Bones.

I'd still like to know a good source to get big old bags of bases for my Bones. :colbert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
What's the preferred filler / epoxy for seams on these bad boys? I picked up some Milliput Standard, but it seems about the consistency of green stuff, which I found too messy to work with. I also ended up with some no-mix gel from a Japanese company designed for plastic models, but it seems too runny and gets in the detail areas. Is there something that's between the two?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Updated by-the-numbers post. Note: these numbers do not include the terrain/dungeon dressings, paints, or plastic bases!

Current as of Mr. Bones added to core set and Core Expansion 1 finishing.

Bones I

Bones II as of 10/14
141 figures in the core set (previously 135)
$0.71 per figure for the core set (previously $0.74)
$319 to go "all in" and buy 1 of all of the add-ons, including Core Expansion 1 (previously $294)
At a cost of $1.36 per figure if you did that (previously $1.40)
Including $50 for 40 figures in Core Expansion 1 (previously 25 figures)
Or $1.25 per figure in Core Expansion 1 (previously $2 per figure)
For a total of 233 figures (previously 210).

Bones II numbers only include currently unlocked expansions and add-ons.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 15, 2013

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

MisterG posted:

Here you go! Orcus with original wings. It took me about 2 or 3 aborted color schemes to arrive on this one. No worries if the paint job is not your cup of tea.

Jesus christ.

Any recommendations for painting tutorials? My minis look like kiddie scribbles compared to this.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Updated by-the-numbers post. Note: these numbers do not include the terrain/dungeon dressings, paints, or plastic bases!

Current as of 10/25 at 9:39 PT

Bones I

Bones II as of 10/25 at 9:39 am PT
150 figures in the core set (previously 141)
$0.66 per figure for the core set (previously $0.71)
$446 to go "all in" and buy 1 of all of the add-ons, including Core Expansion 1, 2, and 3 but none of the paints or cases (previously $319)
At a cost of $1.65 per figure if you did that (previously $1.36)
Including $50 for 40 figures in Core Expansion 1
Or $1.25 per figure in Core Expansion 1
And $50 for 16 figures in Core Expansion 2
Or $3.13 per figure
And $50 for 6 figures in Core Expansion 3 (does not include the 4 terrain pieces!)
Or $8.33 per figure
For a total of 269 figures (previously 233).

Bones II numbers only include currently unlocked expansions and add-ons.

Notes: Right now, Core Expansions 2 and 3 are way out of wack value-wise with what's unlocked, and they'll need to unlock quite a few more figures for each for them to even approach the value of Core Expansion 1, which is still lower value than the core set itself.

Because of this the total cost per figure for going all-in has actually increased in this update.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm not sure about you guys but there's very little incentive for me to raise my pledge beyond the initial, because I know I can tack on the add-ons after the fact like I did last time. I'd rather do it in one fell swoop than to tack on some add-ons now, have more unlock later, then raise it again - just let me a la carte it once.

Plus, I feel like raising my pledge by another $100 is going to have such a small impact on the overall project it's hardly worth it at this point - and the sad part is, most of these minis feel pretty "meh" compared to Bones I. There are exceptions but it just feels like the crazy value isn't there this time around.

Edit: by the bye, thanks for the people who suggested the Learn to Paint kits from Reaper. I feel like I'm pretty good with armor and clothing, but my skin keeps turning out looking like my figs either just stepped out of a tanning bed, or are rotting zombies, so I'm grabbing the Skin Tones kit.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 25, 2013

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If you're choosing the same reward level, I don't think there's EVER a window where you lose your slot. I say this as someone who changed my pledge several times for the Cthulhu Wars KS and I never lost my slot.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Since I'll be out all afternoon I upped my pledge pre-emptively for the world breaker dude and that diorama.

The final tally is going to be "not as good value as Bones I, but still awfully loving good." I'll update my numbers tonight when it's all over.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Are the bases actually worth getting extras of at this price, or am I better off going somewhere else?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm fine with that because most of them are going to end up covered with rocks and pretty terrain. Good, that's $80 savings.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Did I miss them turning the online pledge manager on, or are we still waiting?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Fix posted:

That's just the calculator at the moment though, you're still not allowed to finalize anything.

Yeah, I meant the finalizer, where I can pay the difference for the extra stuff I want to add now that the KS is over and I've been paid again.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

thespaceinvader posted:

I kept meaning to xpost my Bones more, so here's my latest Oath.

Gravedigger!

Gravedigger is a great mini.

That is loving amazing. Great work.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm not sure if there's a better thread to ask but - I finished painting my Ebonwrath, and he looks loving AWESOME. I decided to stand him on this rad rock I found, then put the rock on a diorama (I got the idea from a post I saw online). Questions:

What's the best glue to attach him to the rock with? I tried a couple of superglues but his feet are a little askew, and the back one especially keeps popping up.

I want to put some piles of gold and riches around him. Is there a good place to find cheap piles of treasure-looking gold ("pyrite flakes" surprisingly doesn't give my anything), or should I just paint some rocks and sand with gold paint and do a really light wash around them? Or cheap small gemstone knockoffs?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
That's a great site- thanks, I'll give it a try!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Crosspost from the painting thread: my WIP Ebonwrath. Because of the lovely cameraphone / flash quality you can't see most of the detail.

This is my 10th mini or so I've ever painted and I'm pretty happy with how it's come out so far.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

krushgroove posted:

Also, at least I can sorta budget for a big spend in August when the campaign ends.

They timed it to end right around GenCon. Weak.

(My wallet is weak, I mean.)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Oh my Christ I was going to avoid Bones 3 but that dragon.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I was only going to pledge a dollar but then I sniped one of the Wave 4 $100 slots.

gently caress.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Dat gug. :swoon:

Fine Reaper, have more of my loving money.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Has anyone done a Paint and Take before? I'd love to get some help with doing flesh and faces, which still somehow eludes me.

E: :swoon:

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 23, 2015

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ritorix posted:

There's a huge wait list for paint and take. I'de recommend getting in that line an hour before it starts on Thursday at the con. You wait in line to sign up, then wait for them to call you a billion hours later.

Wow that sounds terrible. How are the Sunday afternoon prospects? I have events pretty much all day Thursday and Friday.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Even without the base set what I want is $338.

I hate having money anyway. :smith:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Went camping, came back to

Mother
loving
DAGON.

Hell yes.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I've managed to glue together most of my Bones 2 and that's it, so 3 can take as much time as it likes.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bad Munki posted:

Go here and you should be able to see exactly what you ordered: http://ks.reapermini.com/bones3

Oh christ, what did I do?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, I just looked at my order... I thought I was making good progress in getting my current bones painted... one step forward 3005 back.

I know I thought at one point "hey it would be cool to have all this graveyard stuff to paint!" and now I'm like "what in the holy hell was I thinking." I finished painting my last bones in 2015.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Baba Yaga Baba Yaga Baba Yaga BABA loving YAGA.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Indolent Bastard posted:

So goofy, and I have zero use for them, so of course I'll be getting a set.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
On the whole, I like the sculpts so far in 4 way more than I did at the beginning of 3. I might even grab a core kit since it's shaping up to be a pretty awesome value.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
They're really blowing out the core set this time around. The minotaurs are pretty awesome.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Is there not a single sculptor on this planet who has ever seen a titty?

You basically answered your own question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

adhuin posted:

Haven't you heard of the Boob Dragon?

Guess what it 'breathes'?

Loneliness?

• Locked thread