Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JackMann posted:

So, painting Bones.

You can apply paint directly to Bones. But it's a bit different from painting a normal model. For the base coat, you do not thin your paints. Think of your basecoat as your primer. It goes on straight from the bottle and then you can thin paints from there.

If this just seems wrong to you, you can prime the bones instead. Some people have been painting their Bones that way because they just don't like the idea of an unthinned base coat. Just keep in mind that some primers work a bit oddly on Bones. The Reaper boards has a list of primers that work with the Bones. If no one else does, I'll try and find the list tonight and post it here.

If you have to strip the Bones, make sure you use a stripping agent that won't melt the Bones. Simple Green apparently works best for this.

I can attest that Rustoleum grey spray primer acted weirdly with Bones - went on fine but stayed tacky to the touch for a week before finally drying enough to deal with.

Vallejo black airbrush primer worked like normal though.

To answer the detail question, they LOOK a lot less detailed out of the box, but partly that is because white plastic hides detail from the eye more than metal or grey plastic. Once primed or painted they are very, very close to metal/plastic. Maybe not close to the absolute top of what GW or PP can do with plastic or McVey resins or whatever, but almost identical to what Reaper does with metal anyway. On the Reaper forums there was a guy who painted up a metal and Bones version of the same model, and had people guess which was which, and it was a toss-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

demota posted:

I only just found out about this and now I'm kind of bummed. What are the odds of them doing something like this again?

Something of this scale? Zero. This came out of nowhere and almost broke Reaper and Kickstarter. They changed the rules afterwards partially in response to it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, they did estimate 2x kickstarter for retail, but every time they stressed that that was a complete guess and they really had no idea. I think they also underestimated how much the dragons would cost THEM in materials, by underestimating just how gently caress-off huge they would be, going only from the concept sketches.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ashcans posted:

Welcome to the world of Bones! The future is looking brighter every day

Plus he probably weighs like 6 ounces and you can drop him on the floor without breaking him.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah particularly for the stuff with huge wings plastic is a godsend. I didn't even bother trying to make a winged Daemon Prince before the plastic kit came out.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
During the kickstarter one of the guys in the comment thread claimed his game company would release a system-independent mega campaign that would incorporate every model included in vampire.

Which, considering that includes fantasy tropes, space marines, modern day zombie hunters, and a giant cyborg gorilla, was probably going to be terrible.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
There's also a whole thread on the Reaper forums to work out trades.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bad Munki posted:

Ooh, people are starting to get their orders? Exciting!

As for the detail/contrast/painting thing, it'd be nice to see two of the same figures side by side, one primed, the other not. That might nicely help show the difference in how the material can mess with your eye.

A guy on the forums did a side-by-side of a painted Bones mini (one of the already available ones) with the metal version of the same mini. They were indistinguishable.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JackMann posted:

First of all, some of the people who've received their packages have noticed minor discrepancies. Nothing huge. Just like one mini missing here, two of another. Reaper has promised to make good on this, so just do an inventory of your Bones when they arrive.

So, you mean additional minis, not specific ones missing from Vampire boxes, right? Because god drat am I not looking forward to trying to checklist 250 white models in baggies.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The only difference I can tell with the Bones is that some of the sharp edges aren't as defined as on metal minis.

Are you saying that from side by side touch comparison, or just visually? Because that might be partially an optical illusion, as explained above.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah also bendiness on things like spears is a problem.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

thespaceinvader posted:

I could've sworn the basic KS one wasn't naked, but looking back, it does seem I'm wrong. E: no, just almost naked. You had to specifically order the nude one. Reaper :arghfist:

This is the one thing that irks me about Reaper is quite how much of their stuff is annoyingly cheesecakey/antifeminist/whateverthefuck you call it. The amount of boob windows I'm going to have to cover with GS when I get these D:

The thing about Reaper is they have a catalog of what, like thousands of minis, from probably a hundred different sculptors, dating back to the 70s or 80s. SOME of that poo poo is going to be chainmail bikini dumbness. At the price we got these things, you can afford to simply throw the ones you don't like in the sea and never worry about greenstuffing them. Or trade them for ones you do like.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

thespaceinvader posted:

Mm, a lot of them I like apart from the stupid boob windows, which would be why I'll probably fix them.

And yeah, I know the history of them, which is why the chainmail bikinis etc bother me an awful lot less than modern companies which are doing it on purpose, from new, and unironically, in 2012. Call my hypocritical if you will.

No, I think that's a perfectly good reason to give them a semi-pass on it. They've been selling these models since before anyone in the industry or the audience had a problem with them, or at least a vocal problem. And even at their worst they're not terrible misogynist poo poo. Mild cheesecake is a far cry from Kingdom Death.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

moths posted:

It always seemed weird to me that Reaper's mascot character was a succubus with a clothes allergy instead of, you know, a reaper.

I don't think she was intended to be a mascot. I think they made one or two minis of a succubus the sculptor named Sophie and it caught on.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Otisburg posted:

I think people like the guy in the linked post would be happier if they literally just sat on their hands with the pre-boxed, ready to go Vampire orders of the filthy poors until the rest of the stuff arrived and was ready to ship. For no reason other than to ship them out after the Big Important Spender Orders, even if it didn't actually change when they got theirs.

Yes, the guy in the thread all but comes out and says he would rather delay everyone's orders, including his, as long as he gets his first.

He also falls into a trap lots and lots of people who have never worked retail fall into, which is "The customer is always right so I don't care about stuff being literally impossible, I just want everything perfect and now and if you can't provide that you are a failure as a company"

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JackMann posted:

Kaladrax is supposed to come in a box about the same size as the vampire box.

So yeah, expect a package slightly bigger than that.

Though that might be his retail box, which the kickstarter pledges won't come packaged that way.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Once someone here said it looked like a Spencer Gifts candleholder that's all I can see.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fix posted:

This one time, seven posts ago...

Yeah, I was phoneposting and knew it was recent but couldn't be arsed to look how recent or who said it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ashcans posted:

You guys can make fun, but if you bought that as part of the Kickstarter, it would have cost you less than buying any random lovely dragon statue at whatever crappy kitsch store you can find.

I DID buy it as part of the kickstarter, and I'm pretty happy about that. The paintjob is what makes it look like a candle holder, not the sculpt.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ashcans posted:

My point is that even if you take one of these miniatures and treat it as a piece of kitschy poo poo, you're still coming out ahead.

Yeah, I think everyone in this thread agrees that you'd have to literally throw out like half your order before you started to worry about not getting your money's worth.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Pathfinder Red is the best of the usable-size dragons, if you ask me. The giants are also really nice.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Red_Mage posted:

That is not half bad. I've been looking for Coat d'Arms stuff after reading up on the issue. Its the company that used to make GW paint, and as such is devoid of the citadel markup. That said I also just barely lost an ebay auction on a HUGE lot of Reaper master paints for about $1.15 a bottle, so I might keep trying on ebay while I wait for shipping confirmation. Anyone have some advice on a decent set of brushes?

Anything labeled as "kolinsky sable" will be great brushes. Common suggestions are Windsor & Newton Series 7, DaVinci Maestro, Raphael Escoda, and Rosemary & Company. You can get at least the first of those for about 5-8 bucks a brush on dickblick.com or similar art supply clearance houses. For minis, you will probably want a size 0 and a size 1. Then go buy some super cheapo brushes that you like the feel of at an art store, for like a dollar a brush, for things that might tear up your brushes faster, like drybrushing.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

AlternateAccount posted:

Quality of sculpts seems to range from fair to good, nothing immediately stood out as mega-spectacular or atrociously bad. The plastic is really soft, though. Things like swords and other spindly bits seem to bend very easily, I wonder about paint cracking and the like once they are finished.

From what people are saying, that isn't a problem unless you really cake the paint on.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Those look a lot like the pots P3 uses.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

berzerkmonkey posted:

If they aren't, they are very similar in design. The seal on them is drat near perfect - the only time you might have issues is if you get paint in the lid rim. Once it starts to dry there, the lid doesn't seat correctly. But it was an easy fix - just get your Xacto blade and pop the dry paint ring out and you're good.

I don't know what GW has against these pots though - they should just swallow their pride and return to them. I understand that branding purposes require you to have a distinctive design, but if your designs consistently fail to work properly, maybe it's time to return to the tried and true design that actually works.

It's almost as if GW has a vested interest in people needing to buy new paint every few months whether or not they use it all.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

berzerkmonkey posted:

There's that too. I know GW is dickish, but intentionally designing paint jars that cause paint to dry out after a few months? That seems a little too dickish, even for them...

It's less intentionally designing jars to dry out paint and more intentionally not switching to better designs when doing so would lose them money in the long run. I'm sure the initial design was just negligent, not malicious.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, does GW no longer use the pots with the little flip up lid with the kinda little lip thing at the top that I am not describing well at all?

Depends on which you mean. If you mean the black-lid sort of octagon pots with flat tops, those are long gone and were terrible. If you mean the squatter, rounder-topped white-lid ones, they are using a sort of Mark II of those now, since they renamed and redesigned the whole paint line.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yes, the cases come with 6 foam trays.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

AlternateAccount posted:

6? Mine came with 2, which is all that would possibly fit.

Im just going by what the kickstarter site said. 6 half-width trays. Maybe that changed.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I imagine that'll happen. If I got my order and it had a big error, honestly, I'd report it. Like, a dragon showed up that I didn't ask for, I'd be fair. I'm pretty sure they'd just say, "Lucky you!" but I'd feel better. If it were a small error, though, like a double-kobold bag or something? It'll cost them more to answer the phone than to just accept the extra grunt. :)

Similarly, if I'm missing one or two little dudes, I won't care. If I'm missing any of the extras I asked for, of course, that's different.

There are certainly models in the base Vampire that I would ocmplain if I was missing. The big cybergorilla or a storm giant. But yeah, novamarine #4 or fred the chimneysweep will probably not make me pick up the phone when I know they will be swamped.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

xiw posted:

There are a good number that are clearly multipart and pre-glued,

Weird, why would they do that? Seems like a lot of extra labor for someone and its not like anyone buying these is averse to gluing some arms on.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

thespaceinvader posted:

Have any UK goons got their bones yet? Did you have to pay any import duties or similar? Is this normal for this kind of thing?

On gluechat, has anyone tried to pull their bones apart? Are they superglued and thus breakable, or are they poly cemented or similar? I'd probably prefer to break most things apart for painting is all...

I think someone had said plastic cement doesn't react with the Bones material, so I assume they are superglued.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I don't understand. Are you saying they send the physical greens to China to get molds made? I assumed they just scanned it and sent the specs or something.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I seriously don't even know where I would start the process of checking if my order is complete.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fix posted:

Another update from Reaper: The final shipment from China should be leaving there in a week, and it takes about 5 weeks for the journey, so it's looking like the end of June at this point.

Commenters on the kickstarter are treating this like its loving Benghazi.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Reaper lied, no one died.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

homullus posted:

I think it's normal to be disappointed, since the prior message was "just waiting at customs!" and now we're looking at two months or more (hopefully leaves in a week, hopefully only takes five weeks to get here and through customes...but then they still need to unpack it all and ship them to all of us).

Sure, I'm disappointed too. But there's a difference between "that sucks, but thanks for telling us" and "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE" or "this is totally unprofessional" which is what they are getting.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

moths posted:

So what happened? Was it at customs in China and people thought it was in Texas customs?

Also that comments page, holy poo poo. What would they have Reaper do that they aren't already doing?

People don't understand that the initial estimates were in fact ESTIMATES and that Reaper has no control over the supply chain segments that are in China.

Reaper's been pretty open and transparent, and if they updated more often they would have people saying WTF STOP UPDATING IF YOU DONT HAVE NEW INFO so no, there's nothing they could be doing that they aren't already.

One person said "It's a good thing I'll have enough minis after this kickstarter that I will never have to deal with Reaper as a company again" which is just staggering. Like, do you know WHY you will have enough minis? Because of...Reaper.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

homullus posted:

I think most people do understand estimates, but start looking forward to things, and when they are disappointed, manage that disappointment poorly. There are surely some who don't have the slightest clue, and a few who are going to be hammering away at their keyboards well after their miniatures arrive.

Maybe so, but the implication from lots of the posters is that Reaper broke promises, further implying that the dates given at the beginning were in fact promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bad Munki posted:

Not really, because:

It's far more normal to not bother customers with the day-to-day drudgery of business logistics than it is to explain to the layfolk how the world works.

This is the core of a disconnect between what information customers of businesses feel they are entitled do versus what information backers of a kickstarter feel they are entitled to. If I go into McDonalds with a coupon for a free Big Mac and for whatever reason they are out of Big Macs that day, I don't demand to see shipping invoices and call them unprofessional.

If Reaper had just put this up as a sale on their site they wouldn't be getting this flack. Backers think they need and deserve every shred of info the second it is available, even info they would never think to expect or ask if they were buying a product through traditional channels.

• Locked thread