Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am excited about this thread! For ages I have been picking up random Reaper figures when I'm at a game store, because they always have something neat and characterful to mess with. Or for DnD games, they're the best place to turn for character miniatures. I wasn't able to shell out for the Vampire pledge, which was a bummer, but probably for the best because there are lots of things in it that I'm not really excited about. I really hope that it doesn't take them too long to get the new Bones stuff on the shelves for sale, there are tons of random figures in there I'd love to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, I agree with Leperflesh. The sculpt is very nicely done, but the pose is cheesecake. Even if you set aside the matter of clothing (which is at least reflected by the male giant) the stance is totally wrong for anything but a pose. It doesn't look like she's prepared to heft or wield the mace, it comes across as a prop.

I am kind of disappointed in the male version as well. I would have interpreted the picture as him sort of hunching down, preparing to rush, but the sculptor took it more literally so that he has no neck at all and very high shoulders and back. It makes him look kind of like a lion. And some bestial elements to the giants is cool, but it clashes with the very human shape of the female version.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, one of the things that I live about Reaper is that you can get miniatures of people just sort of hanging out or standing around. It's nice for characters, when you don't necessarily want someone permanently waving a sword or whatever. Having said that, it's still an issue if you have 90% of female characters being passive and 90% of male ones being aggressive. I think the ratios are actually much better than that though, but it can still be an issue in certain ranges - like the giants.

They definitely have ladies wrecking face though, like these ones:
http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/03283
http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/50007
http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/14609
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/60149/sku-down/60149

And dudes just chilling:
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/60148/sku-down/60148
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/50291/latest/50291
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Chronoscope/sku-down/50256
http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02795

I definitely think there are other companies with a worse problem - a lot of the earlier Infinity stuff, for instance, seemed to have a pretty serious pinup problem.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't remember that, but it's possible they just misjudged what the actual cost of the larger miniatures would be - I mean it's a new material and process for them, so that sort of error seems pretty believable. Ok, if they were saying 2x it would mean that they misjudged by a pretty wide margin. It just seems weird that they would develop and sell a line on the concept of 'holy poo poo this stuff is cheap' and then try to gouge people with it. I mean if they were selling those dragons for $50 instead of $75 they'd probably turn over considerably more.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Fix posted:

Retail is only forty bucks for that thing? :aaaaa:

Welcome to the world of Bones! The future is looking brighter every day

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oh man, I hadn't even really thought about that, but the durability and weight is going to be a huge deal on those bigger miniatures. It's an issue for big pewter figures where they basically start collapsing under their own weight unless you pin every loving thing. Being able to buy something like this and feel fine with my kid looking at it would be amazing. I have pewter figures that I don't look at directly because they'll explode with the slightest provocation.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Anyone who complains about bonus miniatures is basically a huge jerk and should forfeit their bonus stuff to me.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Reaper is better about that than a bunch of companies still making miniatures. They still do cheesecake stuff with some regularity, but it's a drat sight better than somewhere like Ground Zero Games that has 'Gentleman's Collectibles' that are way worse. I don't think that not being the worst gives them a pass on everything, but I think it's important to keep in mind that they are a pretty good company in an industry that is commonly terrible.

They also have a good number of female miniatures that are much better done, so it's not like you are forced into getting cheesecake stuff - which is a complaint that can be leveled at game-based companies like GW and Infinity.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Jesus, it's like the joke opening on Spaceballs where the ship just keeps going, and going, and going. I am sad I missed out on it, but it's actually sort of comforting to not have that enormous pile of miniatures waiting to be painted.

It's an amazing haul for anyone that actually does tabletop RPGs though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you are using acrylics, they are really pretty elastic and shouldn't crack of flake with a little flexing. I have painted banners onto tinfoil flat and then put in the creases, etc, afterward. It's pretty resilient.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You guys can make fun, but if you bought that as part of the Kickstarter, it would have cost you less than buying any random lovely dragon statue at whatever crappy kitsch store you can find.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

My point is that even if you take one of these miniatures and treat it as a piece of kitschy poo poo, you're still coming out ahead.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't know when that dates from, but it's worth noting that Citadel Miniatures functioned as its own company for a while before basically being subsumed into a GW trademark. So there was a period where they were definitely producing miniatures that were not really for any system, and certainly not for a GW game (I think they made some Conan and Judge Dredd minis?) I imagine that as they became more fully integrated into the GW machine that came to an end and stopped stuff like those boxes from being a part of the model.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, my understanding is that Bones uses the same sort of metal molds that GW and other companies use for plastics, which is why they are so expensive to make. I think that rather than being formed around a master, the master is scanned and that information is fed to the machine that cuts the mold.

I know that GW has used 3-ups for their masters, so they do some sort of scaling in the process.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I'm trying to work out what method people wanted them to use. I mean, if you started with the largest orders, wouldn't that be more likely to provide stuff to people who bought in bulk to resell? Maybe you could develop some sort of system that prioritized orders based on their value, discounting duplicates. So that someone who ordered one of everything is 'top' because presumably they aren't reselling it. But even then you would be screwing the guy who doubled up something optional because he just really loves dragons (or whatever) against someone who just bought one vampire set and is going to resell it (because you would make money that way anyway).

I guess the only reasonable thing is to prioritize people by the number of forum posts!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, what that order means is that it was too much stuff for UPS to handle in a single box of any size, so it has been broken up into three separate UPS shipments.

Please take a picture of that when it comes in. Preferably of you sitting in a bathtub full of Bones.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

(Also how did they miss the KS in the first place?)

I assume there are people like me out there who didn't have the cash on hand when the kickstarter was underway and so couldn't snap up their own pledge at that time. God knows that if I had had a reversal of fortune I would have snapped up one of the resold sets at a premium, but I am still as broke as ever. Which is ok, because Bones will mean cheap miniatures on the shelves as well!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, pretty much. I love Reaper figures, but I have always bought them by the handful for stuff like character miniatures or because I'll see them on the rack and be like 'Overloaded Henchman'? That's great! As much as a I am a sucker for deals, I really have no use for a ton of rats or skeletons or half the other stuff in there. What this does mean though is that in the future I will be able to grab a big miniature purely for fun and not be paying $80-$100 for it (also it won't be pewter and do it's best to explode any time it's touched).

It's kind of like a SuperGulp. I mean, yes, 64oz of soda is a GREAT deal. But I have never drunk that much soda in my life, so getting a great deal on something you will waste half of isn't really grand.

Sidenote: This is what I am telling myself so I feel better about not having vampire boxes pile up in my doorway. Please allow me to keep my delusion!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Having shipped stuff internationally, I am not even sure there is an effective way for a shipper to pre-pay duties on something, especially not with a single delivery to a residential address.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have to be honest, even with some of this stuff making Reaper look bad, it's not going to stop me buying from them. At the end of the day, for decent figures in the $1-$4 range, I would eat a ton of poo poo on the customer service/delivery side. It's just so drat cheap.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I really hope Bones II doesn't hit when I am as broke as last time (it will, I am always broke). I also hope it includes the 'Man Being Eaten by Beetle Swarm' and 'Overloaded Henchmen' models.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oh drat, really? I didn't realize that. Well then I look forward to buying more copies of him because that is a fun model!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ok guys, I think it's now obvious what happened. Reaper was getting the orders churned out, and right when they got to the last haul someone found a baby squirrel, whose mere presence hamstrung all further operations for weeks while everyone cooed over it and took turns feeding it.

Frankly, I believe they made the right choice.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

JackMann posted:

What's funny is that I've seen a lot of other companies use Sir Garrick for scale shots, mostly for terrain. Pretty sure Dwarven Forge used him. Maybe Hirst.

This makes me want to buy him and build a diorama of him rampaging over 6mm figures. Sir Forscales revenge!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The bases seem to be ok. Better priced than big sellers, but you can get base options for comparable or less depending on what you will settle on (wooden discs always beat out plastic, but many people wont' use those). Seems reasonable enough if you actually care about bases to begin with.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I got an email from Reaper this morning pushing the kickstarter - first I have gotten. So it looks like they might be starting to try and drum up new supporters at this point. I didn't participate in the last one, so they only know me as a regular customer.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I was thinking "Oh hey, my fingers are about that hairy, and it doesn't look so bad in this video." And then you came and ruined it and gave me a complex.

Don't feel bad, man. I didn't notice anything until he mentioned it, and looking back that dude has less hair than I do.

I could probably have knuckle braids if I put my mind to it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Look at you guys, thinking about painting stuff before buying anything more. I have miniatures I bought in the mid 1990s I haven't painted yet, you won't see that slow me down!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I would assume that it's done or close to done, when they didn't have a finished piece before they have posted the concept art instead (like the Great Mother thing).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

Short of the Kingdom Death stuff, is there even anyone making well sculpted half-naked females? So many have busted faces or wrong leg/body proportions with huge lips. The female barbarian in particular seems to have some dwarf-like features. Is that because the real pros have some backbone and wont do it? Obviously people are asking for it, otherwise this crap wouldnt sell well.

It seems like a difficult choice for a business. Is the moral high ground really worth the missed sales when the objective is to make money?

Unfortunately, I think the answer is 'No'. The best that I can recall seeing were the Kelt Sessairs produced by Rackham for Confrontation. Those were generally high quality sculpts with good proportions, but they still suffered from issues of posing that we're seeing here. I think the core problem is that most people that produce this type of model are producing it for a cheesecake market, and people who don't want to do that are generally so put off by the overall market that they simply make other things (like the female knight posted earlier).

One of the better examples is probably GW's Repentia squad. They are barely dressed, but the sculpting isn't notably bad (it suffers from the trademark 'heroic' issues that haunt the whole line, and they get off better than Catachans). Importantly, they are posed like they are actually planning to wreck people with giant swords, rather than trying to sell one to you.

The thing is, reaper is entirely capable of producing female miniatures that look like they're prepared to kick rear end (like this one). It just seems to not overlap with the underclad group for, what I assume, are sales reasons.

Edit: I just remembered that Privateer also produces some pretty good barbarian-women miniatures in their Circle line that have good sculpting and look like they are going to put down some hurt. Privateer is actually pretty good on this scale, with the offenses usually limited to 'combat heels' stuff.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 25, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That dragon thing is loving amazing. It's an awesome display piece itself, and it breaks into tons of great terrain? Jesus christ, reaper.

Looks like I am in for $1, and then I'll see if I can scrape up some more cash post close. Nothing else has moved me to hop in, but that thing is incredible.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think that I am probably just in for Dragons Don't Share. There are other things in there that are cool, but I'd rather pick them up in ones or twos retail than order bigger chunks. Like, I think the Highland Encounter might be neat, but I have no interest in the rest of the Thank You pack.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I haven't done the exact math, but the bases are better priced than buying from any given game company, but more expensive than most hack jobs. I think it is probably worth it if you want plastic bases for your dudes or like the lipped look for detailing. If you are a scrooge like me, you can do better buying 100 little wooden cutouts that look worse but are incredibly cheap.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If anyone is feeling really tormented about their backlog of Bones, you are free to mail them to me. I will not actually paint them any faster (probably slower) but I am completely immune to painting guilt and it will lift the burden from your shoulders.

You're welcome.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

How long do we have to finalize our pledge manager stuff?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Finalized my pledge today with less stuff than I want. drat Christmas for requiring my cash for other people!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I'm slowly coming to the realization that no amount of huge boxes filled with little plastic dolls can ever fill the empty space in my heart left by not being allowed to own every little plastic doll I desperately wanted when I was 12.

You know what would fill the empty space in your heart? Giving away all your plastic dolls to children that yearn for them. You can act now, and spare an innocent soul your life of torment.

Coincidentally, I live with some children who yearn for plastic dolls probably, I'm sure they would if I let them out of the basement. PM me for a shipping address and you can finally know peace.

Offer open to anyone who wishes to dispose of their plastic men.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

For what its' worth, I have never had superglue need time to 'work'. Either you hold it in place for a minute and it's good, or it's never going to hold properly at all. It's not like some glues that might have like a particular set time before you handle it. If I couldn't get a hold on something in ten minutes I would clean it up and assume that something was wrong, either with the glue or the surface prep.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Reaper realized that people were buying the Bones miniatures and never painting them, so they have innovated a solution!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Earthorn posted:

Is this a bad time to mention that Reaperbryan just posted an image for the core 30 of the upcoming kickstarter (on their forums)?

I would post a link but I am on my phone.

I live to serve:

Gotta love dat rear end.

• Locked thread